talk about bad days for some of us recently - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
talk about bad days for some of us recently

So driving on a 2 lane one way road the other night I almost got taken out by a F-250 that was driving really haphazardly. To have him miss me I ended up hitting the curb a little bit. I heard the sound, knew exactly what happened, now my brand newish RTR wheels have curb rash that doesn't look good.

I'll load some pictures later, but man am I furious! I guess the good news out of this was I was looking at getting them powdercoated and a great shop nearby does this for a great price with a pretty fast turn around time along with rim repair. No extra charge for repairing the rims too so at least I am not getting screwed by the damage.

So, I want to ask, I am thinking of getting them powder coated or painted red to match the car.

Anyone think this is too much red? I think it would be badass to have a nicely matched, or closely matched race red colored powder coating/painting done to the rims.

The place also warranties the rims from defects in there work for pretty much ever. They are used by a lot of dealers for this reason and have a big name among enthusiasts in the area.
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I don't know man, race red is already bright... black wheels give it just the right look. Sucks what happened, im so anal and meticulous, that I would probably buy a new wheel :-p
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
i think you should do black with red lip..i love that look on a red car and i think it will look good on your car
mustang17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
How much red are we talking?

And don't worry, it won't be too much red, in fact there is very little red visible on your car with all that dust and dirt

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang17 View Post
i think you should do black with red lip..i love that look on a red car and i think it will look good on your car
+1.

I think all red might be too much red. Really hard to know though without seeing it :/
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
+ 1......
BorlaGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I say do it!! How many people have rtr wheels? Everyone? How many have red rtrs? Nobody! If I had rtrs to put on my white 2012, bet your *** they would be white!
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
I don't know man, race red is already bright... black wheels give it just the right look. Sucks what happened, im so anal and meticulous, that I would probably buy a new wheel :-p
yeah that is why I am unsure, I might see about a darker red, I am stopping at the place tomorrow to make an appointment and see what they have in terms of colors. I just figured since it is gonna cost me the same to get two wheels repaired as getting them powdercoated, and the guy said it will be way cheaper to fix them and powdercoat them than fix them and then consider powdercoating them later, i'd just do it.

Quote:
I might try that, depends if they are gonna charge me a lot to do that. Might be able to swing that if they paint it vs powdercoating them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
How much red are we talking?

And don't worry, it won't be too much red, in fact there is very little red visible on your car with all that dust and dirt
I was talking the whole rim, all 4, powder coated red. completely red. No more charcoal.

LOL IKR. I have already started getting the wax off the plastic, it is gonna take forever and withit being cold it the wax just wants to be a PITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
+1.

I think all red might be too much red. Really hard to know though without seeing it :/
yeah, I am just not sure, I am really jumping back and forth. I might have to photoshop it on the car later and see what I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
I say do it!! How many people have rtr wheels? Everyone? How many have red rtrs? Nobody! If I had rtrs to put on my white 2012, bet your *** they would be white!
that is why I want to do it. There are a lot of people with these style rims, not all RTR, but even a bunch with the RTR, but I don't think I've seen anyone with RTR rims in a different color but the charcoal and silver. I am leaning towards doing it.

Plus I love the Boss 302 red rims on the Laguna Seca, so that is what has pushed me towards running red rims. I think they look good on the Boss, but the Boss is a black car haha. I just haven't seen a Red mustang with Red rims.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Just use more black accents on your car and it will pull it off nicely. Maybe get a black boss style cowl vinyl or something and black mirror covers
Old 04-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

All red would be overkill IMO. I would do red accents... And yea I'm tires of the damn cold

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just use more black accents on your car and it will pull it off nicely. Maybe get a black boss style cowl vinyl or something and black mirror covers
black spoiler, black hood scoop and maybe the roof being black vinyl are a few things on my list, just haven't gotten there yet. Doing a black 2013 decklid today soon as I go buy a dremel tool. I agree though, long as I keep doing a little more black it would fit perfectly.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
All red would be overkill IMO. I would do red accents... And yea I'm tires of the damn cold
I dunno man, haha. Maybe. I really am gonna have to photoshop it later.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

If you do red and it looks good ill powdercoat my brand new 13 gt500 replicas white lol!
Old 04-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you do red and it looks good ill powdercoat my brand new 13 gt500 replicas white lol!
Haha OK.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130404_171505.png
Views:	229
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	100445

Name:	ForumRunner_20130404_171439.png
Views:	240
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	100444
Old 04-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
+1
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #15
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Haha OK.
That's not too bad.
Check out my curb...gash!

Name:	image-797330657.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	472.1 KB
ID:	100455
I ate that ****in curb! Nom Nom Nom Nom! Lol
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha OK.
Is that all on 1 wheel?? Or u hit 2 of them?
Old 04-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha OK.
Man, that sucks hope that red color looks nice on car
Mustang_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Is that all on 1 wheel?? Or u hit 2 of them?
2 of them. The back wheel is the one with less damage.

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post

That's not too bad.
Check out my curb...gash!

I ate that ****in curb! Nom Nom Nom Nom! Lol
Agreed. I've only had this rims a little over a week tho.

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_96 View Post

Man, that sucks hope that red color looks nice on car
Still undecided. Still debating.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Quote:

2 of them. The back wheel is the one with less damage.

Agreed. I've only had this rims a little over a week tho.

Still undecided. Still debating.
Just powder coat them matte black. You've got enough accents. What I would experiment with is doing the windows and barrel gloss black, and the face matte black.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Or do this.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post

Just powder coat them matte black. You've got enough accents. What I would experiment with is doing the windows and barrel gloss black, and the face matte black.
Yeah I've thrown a lot of ideas around.

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Or do this.
See that looks badass. I just dunno how much extra I'll get charged for that. I am sure it is a lot.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So driving on a 2 lane one way road the other night I almost got taken out by a F-250 that was driving really haphazardly. To have him miss me I ended up hitting the curb a little bit. I heard the sound, knew exactly what happened, now my brand newish RTR wheels have curb rash that doesn't look good.

I'll load some pictures later, but man am I furious! I guess the good news out of this was I was looking at getting them powdercoated and a great shop nearby does this for a great price with a pretty fast turn around time along with rim repair. No extra charge for repairing the rims too so at least I am not getting screwed by the damage.

So, I want to ask, I am thinking of getting them powder coated or painted red to match the car.

Anyone think this is too much red? I think it would be badass to have a nicely matched, or closely matched race red colored powder coating/painting done to the rims.

The place also warranties the rims from defects in there work for pretty much ever. They are used by a lot of dealers for this reason and have a big name among enthusiasts in the area.
Yes too much red for my taste...I like the black contrast...you could do a two tone.
BIGHOSS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #23
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yeah I've thrown a lot of ideas around.

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

See that looks badass. I just dunno how much extra I'll get charged for that. I am sure it is a lot.
It's expensive and hard to powder coat all that, because its gloss red and matte black and they essentially have to be done twice I think. Most people just paint them when doing stuff like that.

you could get them powder coated black, then have the red painted on. Or...find a place that bakes the paint and have them do it all. It'll be just as durable as powder coating.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It's expensive and hard to powder coat all that, because its gloss red and matte black and they essentially have to be done twice I think. Most people just paint them when doing stuff like that.

you could get them powder coated black, then have the red painted on. Or...find a place that bakes the paint and have them do it all. It'll be just as durable as powder coating.
Yeah this guy does that with the paint. He prefers to powder coat but will do the paint too. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what they have.

What about like a reddish charcoal color? Like a real dark red. Sorry I just always wanted red rims haha.

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGHOSS5.0 View Post

Yes too much red for my taste...I like the black contrast...you could do a two tone.
I know man . It is really killing me. Some days I wish I had gotten a black car so I could have the red rims and accents and not even thing twice about it haha.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:46 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Damn sorry to see this happen. Same happened to me last year. Pretty easy fix though
Had a shop do rim repair and couldn't tell anything ever happened. I agree all red will be too much. Accents would look bad *ss good luck.
2013fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:56 AM   #26
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Don't think I'd go with the body color match, but I'm alsonot a fan anymore of black. There are tons of Mustangs and other cars sporting the black rims these days that to me, it no longer is a "cool" look. Too many.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Personally man, I think your car looks badass with the black wheels. If you painted them red, it would be overkill and tacky IMO. I'd definitely stare at that car going by as is, red wheels, eh, I'd think you went wrong. Lol
Davey13GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #28

Region: Illinois
I am going to powder coat my RTRs gloss black on a Race Red mustang. Not sure about red on red in your case but the good news it's your car and you can do what you want. Way to many opinions on a nation wide forum.
Tight Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013fiveO View Post
Damn sorry to see this happen. Same happened to me last year. Pretty easy fix though
Had a shop do rim repair and couldn't tell anything ever happened. I agree all red will be too much. Accents would look bad *ss good luck.
yeah I think that is where I am sitting, just getting them repaired. I photoshopped the RTR to be red and put them on the car, and ugh...not as good as I pictured in my head. haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Don't think I'd go with the body color match, but I'm alsonot a fan anymore of black. There are tons of Mustangs and other cars sporting the black rims these days that to me, it no longer is a "cool" look. Too many.
well I agree with ya there, plus I wanted different colored RTR than everyone else. I'll still look at their color chart and see, but I think I am just gonna have them fix the two that are damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey13GT View Post
Personally man, I think your car looks badass with the black wheels. If you painted them red, it would be overkill and tacky IMO. I'd definitely stare at that car going by as is, red wheels, eh, I'd think you went wrong. Lol
haha! I am in agreement now. What I really have to remember too is the Race Red is a awesome color, but a complete pain at the same time. It can look orange and glossy and pale and good and bad and all kinds of things just based on the lighting. The red rims would never ever match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tight Lines View Post
I am going to powder coat my RTRs gloss black on a Race Red mustang. Not sure about red on red in your case but the good news it's your car and you can do what you want. Way to many opinions on a nation wide forum.
Yeah I dunno about gloss black, thought about gloss Charcoal too maybe, but for me a black black rim gets too dark and then the rim itself is hard too see. Once had a friend tell me, "people with pitch black wheels are usually trying to hide the fact they are not good wheels by making them hard too see." The RTR are such gorgeous rims to make them soo hard too see. Same thing goes though, your car, your rules
Old 04-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Yea race red is kinda weird sometimes, doesn't take good pics at all... Looks orange, but in person and not directly under looks badass. Hope u get those wheels fixed soon, plus she needs a good spring cleaning!! Take care of that!! Lol
Old 04-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I think gloss black would go with the rest of the car the best. When to many things are going on, you notice those things more than you do the car. Kinda like, not seeing the trees for the forest type thing.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea race red is kinda weird sometimes, doesn't take good pics at all... Looks orange, but in person and not directly under looks badass. Hope u get those wheels fixed soon, plus she needs a good spring cleaning!! Take care of that!! Lol
Under the sun*
Old 04-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #33

Sorry to hear that bro I think the red powder coat would look nice and it's different or the whole black with red lip thing the other dude said would look nice.
Matt3422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

Name:	image-3587859745.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	437.3 KB
ID:	100718
Old 04-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccorlet View Post
That looks sweet man! I think it works with the Candy Red, which doesn't seem to have the same goofy issues as the Race Red. Anyone who owns Race Red understands what I mean by owning a red car that doubles as orange. haha.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT