Gt500 spoiler oem or 3d carbon? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2013, 01:14 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Gt500 spoiler oem or 3d carbon?

Title says it all. Looking to get a gt500 spoiler just wondering what you guys think, oem vs 3d carbon? The 3d is about $40 cheaper and they both have gurney flaps. I did some research and found the 3d had some bulge issues, but that was fixed from the relocation of the mounting tape if I'm correct.
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 05:34 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
I purchased a 3D carbon used from Ebay. It was in "gotta have it green", but my son working as a painter in a body shop easily got it to race red (my color). The fit/finish is fantastic. Not sure what year it was made, but there are no issues with any buldging. Mine also did not have any tape; it had the factory mounting studs, and no drilling was required. To date, it is on perfect, no gaps, so I'm assuming the 3M tape is not needed.

As to the gurney flaps, it is molded in, at least on mine, so it is not removable. The stock Ford types allow you to remove the gurney flap and replace it with the second one. Ford made two, one with a lower flap for different track setups.

My son masked off this flap and painted it black. Unless you are right on top of it to see it is molded in (on the 3D Carbon I have), you could not tell it is not the real deal. Then again, I do not track my Mustang, so being able to change the gurney flap is not an issue with me.

I'm a huge fan of buying Ford OEM type parts, but in this rare case, I got the 3D carbon for 90 bucks shipped! And the paint job was free. Great to have a son as a auto paint tech.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:38 AM   #3
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
I have had the 3dcarbon spoiler for over a year and it has been great, no issues whatsoever. Only problem was that when I bought mine they were not doing the gurney flap in a different color

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
I have had the 3dcarbon spoiler for over a year and it has been great, no issues whatsoever. Only problem was that when I bought mine they were not doing the gurney flap in a different color
Are they (3D Carbon) selling them pre-painted? I assume so from your post.

You could esily mask yours off (do the entire back end and rear quarter panel to catch over spray) and plasti-dip it. My son did my molded in gurney flap in a satin (low shine) black. Then clear coated everything.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #5
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Are they (3D Carbon) selling them pre-painted? I assume so from your post.

You could esily mask yours off (do the entire back end and rear quarter panel to catch over spray) and plasti-dip it. My son did my molded in gurney flap in a satin (low shine) black. Then clear coated everything.
The one I got was through AM and they paint their own, but 3DCarbon also paints them and they do the gurney flap portion a different color

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
The one I got was through AM and they paint their own, but 3DCarbon also paints them and they do the gurney flap portion a different color
I just looked and 374 ain't bad, but 25 dollar shipping!? who pays shipping anymore

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT