Traction Control - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Traction Control

Do any of 2011+ 5.0 owners turn off the traction control button? If so do feel that it's faster? I feel mine is faster but I don't know if its just in my mind. I know when I had my 03 Mach 1 u felt the difference with the button off. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Jago1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jago1021 View Post
Do any of 2011+ 5.0 owners turn off the traction control button? If so do feel that it's faster? I feel mine is faster but I don't know if its just in my mind. I know when I had my 03 Mach 1 u felt the difference with the button off. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
yeah car feels completely different with it off. I always turn it off when the weather is nice. My 2007 Tundra is the same way, feels sluggish when the traction is on, moment it is taken off feels like a whole different truck.

Personally it was one of the things that kept me from buying a certain "ricer" car that I really liked was the permanent traction control.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jago1021 View Post
Throttle response and all restrictive/ preventative controls are removed.

You will feel the full capability of the engine. But be warned... People tend to fishtail around turns rather easily without the advancedtrac/TC engaged.

It will seem even more pronounced if you order/have a tune installed (like a 93 race tune).

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy View Post

You will feel the full capability of the engine. But be warned... People tend to fishtail around turns rather easily without the advancedtrac/TC engaged.

It will seem even more pronounced if you order/have a tune installed (like a 93 race tune).
agreed here, without the right tires and suspension it can be a dangerous game you can be playing. Back when I had stock suspension and stock 18 wheels I spun out twice. Thankfully on open roads with no cars. Really brings a sense of respect for the car haha.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy View Post

That's because people don't know how to drive a car without electronic nannies. I think we should teach everyone to drive in a rear wheel drive V8 with no ABS, traction control or stability control. Then people would actually know how to drive, instead of just mashing the giggle pedal and hoping the computer knows better than they do.

Bottom line - if you aren't familiar with driving a rwd car without traction control, learn the limits of your car in a controlled environment before turning it off on a public roadway.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it. Yeah I've only turned off once and that's it, I have a lot of respect for the 5.0.
Jago1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I've matched my PB straight line at the track TC on and off. But yeah, the car does feel totally more alive with it off. It's not a particularly restrictive system compared to some I've experienced.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:16 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Even with traction control on you can easily fishtail on every corner, but as others said you need to know the limits of your car before you take it off.
Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post

That's because people don't know how to drive a car without electronic nannies. I think we should teach everyone to drive in a rear wheel drive V8 with no ABS, traction control or stability control. Then people would actually know how to drive, instead of just mashing the giggle pedal and hoping the computer knows better than they do.

Bottom line - if you aren't familiar with driving a rwd car without traction control, learn the limits of your car in a controlled environment before turning it off on a public roadway.
Agree 100%
madGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by madGT View Post

Agree 100%
With the track apps on the 2013 GT auto, i run 0-60 in 5.0 to 5.5 with traction control off, weather dependent. With it on, 4.6 to 4.8. Of course its definitely more fun with it off!
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post

With the track apps on the 2013 GT auto, i run 0-60 in 5.0 to 5.5 with traction control off, weather dependent. With it on, 4.6 to 4.8. Of course its definitely more fun with it off!
Definitely more fun.
madGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

How does sport mode respond compared to normal mode?
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
How does sport mode respond compared to normal mode?
You're talking about the steering feel. Just go ahead and try different modes. Sport mode is tight. Little to no play in the wheel. For long highway drives, it can require a bit more muscle. Normal is just a combination of sport and comfort. Comfort is more of a luxury car feel. Less force require to turn the wheel, a bit easier on the hands for long drives.

As far as traction control goes, I always turn it off along with stability control, unless its a wet road and I don't feel like messing with it. That being said, I also drove a dirt modified race car for 5 years at a local track, so I know a thing or two about driving. If Ford didn't put TCS on these GT's, we'd be seeing more Mustangs wrapped around telephone poles and in ditches...and probably more body bags. IMO, anyone under 25 shouldn't be driving a 420hp car on the public roads. Sorry to those I offend by that, but when I was between 18 and 25, I did a lot of dumb stuff. Thankfully I never got myself or anyone killed. I raced a guy once and spun out on a 4 lane highway. The only place I race and drive fast is on a track...otherwise you'll see me in my GT driving like an adult.

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

Here's a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

http://youtu.be/ajKNJiExjXM
Davey13GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

As far as TC/SC, sport mode in BBP cars like mine is different than regular GTs so it's hard to directly compare. All the settings are less invasive than on regular cars.

I feel the diff in SM more in the stability control area. I can steer with the rear alot longer before the nanny kicks in.

It's a reasonably good compromise on the road, especially since I've been driving high-powered rear wheel drive cars in all kinds of conditions for over 30 years.

I'm no technophobe, I like ABS, SC/TC and all forms of modern automotive technology. I remember very well how bad cars used to be.

With TC on and off, I could also match times 0-60 on the road. It was just a bit more consistent with TC, as the car would, if overdone even slightly on the loud pedal would wheel hop its way into the 5s. Stock, it'd hit low 4s, if I did it right or with TC on, more often. Since new, I put a Roush upper on and now the TC off results are A LOT more repeatable.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey13GT View Post

You're talking about the steering feel. Just go ahead and try different modes. Sport mode is tight. Little to no play in the wheel. For long highway drives, it can require a bit more muscle. Normal is just a combination of sport and comfort. Comfort is more of a luxury car feel. Less force require to turn the wheel, a bit easier on the hands for long drives.

As far as traction control goes, I always turn it off along with stability control, unless its a wet road and I don't feel like messing with it. That being said, I also drove a dirt modified race car for 5 years at a local track, so I know a thing or two about driving. If Ford didn't put TCS on these GT's, we'd be seeing more Mustangs wrapped around telephone poles and in ditches...and probably more body bags. IMO, anyone under 25 shouldn't be driving a 420hp car on the public roads. Sorry to those I offend by that, but when I was between 18 and 25, I did a lot of dumb stuff. Thankfully I never got myself or anyone killed. I raced a guy once and spun out on a 4 lane highway. The only place I race and drive fast is on a track...otherwise you'll see me in my GT driving like an adult.

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

No there is a sport mode for the advancetrac as well! That's what I'm referring to. I'm 23, and not offended by your opinion haha, but if it makes you feel better I'm a puss with this car and thus probably a lot safer than most younger owners. I don't take corners fast and refuse to street race. But I agree that a majority are dumb as hell. Dying scares me so I drive carefully.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

How does your car feel faster if you cut your right foot off?
Old 04-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Wait so what about manual 420hp gt tht doesn't have trac control driven by a 24 yr old.? Lol
Cornkush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

You can't do too much damage to the face of that New Edge GT that Ford didn't already do for you....
Old 04-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey13GT View Post

I'm 16 and drive a 2013 track pack. Just putting that out there your age doesn't have any effect on the way you drive. I honestly drive more responsible then my dad in my mustang. But I do understand there's alot of cocky young drivers out there.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013mustang5.0 View Post

I'm 16 and drive a 2013 track pack. Just putting that out there your age doesn't have any effect on the way you drive. I honestly drive more responsible then my dad in my mustang. But I do understand there's alot of cocky young drivers out there.
You just wait. I'm sure you'll show off with it eventually.
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
And then put it in a wall lol 16 and a 5.0 must be nice lol
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U View Post
They are some very good young driver's out there.

My nephew was 16 when he got a 2006 ZO6 Corvette. He's very responsible with it.
racksteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
How do kids afford these things? 16 I was working but not enough to get a 30k car smh
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by racksteris View Post

They are some very good young driver's out there.

My nephew was 16 when he got a 2006 ZO6 Corvette. He's very responsible with it.
Didn't say there wasn't. Every boy has a "show off" or "impress you" moment in life" or two or three or 100.
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Didn't say there wasn't. Every boy has a "show off" or "impress you" moment in life" or two or three or 100.
Agreed. Your going to do it. That pretty girl, guys egging you on, guy in another fast car. It is gonna happen. Haha.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Exactly. If you're a normal male, it's called testosterone. And when you're a young male, it's going to cause lapses in judgement. Trust me. 4 year college degree with a minor in Psychology.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:49 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U

Hell I'm 51 and still have those moments, they just don't last as long.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
How do kids afford these things? 16 I was working but not enough to get a 30k car smh
Don't forget about those wealthy parents. I know tons of kids with BMWs, Mercs, Audis, hell even ///m and amg owners.
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride View Post

Don't forget about those wealthy parents. I know tons of kids with BMWs, Mercs, Audis, hell even ///m and amg owners.
Yup good way to ruin your kids
Old 04-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013mustang5.0 View Post
I'm 16 and drive a 2013 track pack. Just putting that out there your age doesn't have any effect on the way you drive.
Ahh, but you know what does have an effect on the way you drive? Proper instruction and hours behind the wheel, two things that most young drivers are lacking in. There are a lot of people who think they are really good drivers, when in reality they are just mildly skilled at not hitting things and know very little about car control and vehicle dynamics. I'm not saying that I'm an expert at either or that you have any deficiencies in you skills, just point out something here from an objective perspective.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ahh, but you know what does have an effect on the way you drive? Proper instruction and hours behind the wheel, two things that most young drivers are lacking in. There are a lot of people who think they are really good drivers, when in reality they are just mildly skilled at not hitting things and know very little about car control and vehicle dynamics. I'm not saying that I'm an expert at either or that you have any deficiencies in you skills, just point out something here from an objective perspective.
There have been studies showing that the brain lacks the ability to process and respond correctly while driving in most people under the age of 18. Not that there will not be exceptions but that the brain hasn't developed enough yet too do so.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

There have been studies showing that the brain lacks the ability to process and respond correctly while driving in most people under the age of 18. Not that there will not be exceptions but that the brain hasn't developed enough yet too do so.
Those kids are very easy to spot haha
Old 04-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well said. I was 18 when I first got behind the wheel of a 700hp race car...ON DIRT. You wanna talk about an experience! I spun out nearly every damn lap on the practice day. First time I ran a heat race, I ran into the guy in front of me then bounced off the wall before spinning out. LOL.

We rented the track for a full day after that and by the end of the day I had finally gotten this thing under control.

What most people fail to realize with a powerful RWD car, is that your control of the car has more to do with your FEET, than it does your HANDS. Racing on dirt teaches you that concept very quickly. Never mash the gas pedal unless your planning to do a burnout or spin out. Watch a NASCAR race and listen to the motor when they accelerate out of the corner...it's smooth acceleration, but quick. They accelerate right on the edge of losing traction. That's all traction control does anyway...when you start going over the edge, it pulls you back by reducing power. I could go on and on lol. Bottom line- leave TCS ON until you take the car somewhere SAFE, like a track or open parking lot, and get to feel how quickly you can lose control. Find the edge, then you'll know where it's at.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

My old race car. Miss racing...it was ridiculous fun. Expensive as anything though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1673621376.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	101529  
Old 04-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Borii
Is the 2011+ traction that intrusive?

On the 3V, I leave it on all the time and it will only kick on under HEAVY spin. Otherwise, as long as the car is straight and it doesn't sense any twist, it will spin the tires in 1st and 2nd without the TC kicking in.

Stock for stock I know the 5.0 is another level of power so that, coupled with ever changing safety regulations, it is more of a nanny?

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT