Clutches - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Clutches

With the racing season upon us, I know the clutch will more than likely be the first part to fail, so I need to have a new one on hand. Looking for recommendations and why you think so. What's the difference in the stages. Thanks
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
What drag strip do you race at?
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Muncie dragway in Indiana. Plan on going to raceway park in indy once I get it dialed in. I don't plan on getting serious til after the warranty runs out. Need to learn the car and best launch for it this year. If it makes the 12s without a tune I'll be real happy, it shouldn't have a problem with the MT et streets on it I wouldn't think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I would also like to know what clutch would be good for me. I plan on tracking the stang at homestead and possibly Sebring.
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Check out the clutch from the Boss cars. It's a pretty good upgrade for a mild bolt on car and fitment will of course be spot on. And don't forget to do a crank relearn after a clutch install.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:31 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Guess I was wrong to actually think this was a technical fourm.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Guess I was wrong to actually think this was a technical fourm.
Dang man. Haha. So a few questions you need to answer first. Do you want a similar clutch feel as stock? As in resistance in pushing the clutch in?

Also you'll want to replace the master cylinder at the same time.

I've always heard good things about exedy and spec. Spec stage 1 and exedy stage 2 if I remember right are closest to our stock clutches in terms of power handling and clutch resistance. Further up the line you go you just increase power handling and how heavy the clutch is. You'll also go from organic compounds on the clutch to ceramic. Ceramic is going to be the best for holding power but those suckers are hard to push in.

Have a friend with a 1986 fox body and I don't remember what brand but they put a ceramic clutch in it. It was terrible! Felt like doing 400lb leg presses at the gym. They can hold a lot of power tho. Somewhere around 750 torque on the exedy 600. The stage 3+ from spec does 800something torque.

So I really wouldn't go past your needed power specially if it is a DD.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Dang man. Haha. So a few questions you need to answer first. Do you want a similar clutch feel as stock? As in resistance in pushing the clutch in?

Also you'll want to replace the master cylinder at the same time.

I've always heard good things about exedy and spec. Spec stage 1 and exedy stage 2 if I remember right are closest to our stock clutches in terms of power handling and clutch resistance. Further up the line you go you just increase power handling and how heavy the clutch is. You'll also go from organic compounds on the clutch to ceramic. Ceramic is going to be the best for holding power but those suckers are hard to push in.

Have a friend with a 1986 fox body and I don't remember what brand but they put a ceramic clutch in it. It was terrible! Felt like doing 400lb leg presses at the gym. They can hold a lot of power tho. Somewhere around 750 torque on the exedy 600. The stage 3+ from spec does 800something torque.

So I really wouldn't go past your needed power specially if it is a DD.
Your friends car was a cable style clutch that why it felt like that....

Today cars are hydraulic type... You can go up to stage 5 with a sprung clutch and it will feel stock

Plus it all has to do with what clamping force you choose on ur pressure plate u can keep ur stock pressure plate and upgrade the disc to a 6 puck kevlar and it will hold power while feeling stock
Apod91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apod91 View Post

Your friends car was a cable style clutch that why it felt like that....

Today cars are hydraulic type... You can go up to stage 5 with a sprung clutch and it will feel stock
Hmmm...that is not what I have been reading. I know they are hydrolic but even reviews on them state they get heavier and heavier.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I went with the exedy mach 500 after I burned up the stock clutch with my Paxton setup. Pressure plate on it is supposed to handle over 700ft lbs at the flywheel and still felt like stock until I removed the helper spring. Just make sure you get a new ToB with the kit.
Jukens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys, the car is basically just another toy, not a dd. As far as stock feel, who wouldn't want that. I plan on putting the roush SC on it when the warranty is up, so I'm looking at probably 700hp max when alls said and done. That said, I want one that will hold that power.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT