Fake vents and air dams - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I really hate fake stuff on a muscle car. I punched out those fake plastic vents on the lower front bumper, so now they're real vents. Anyone else do that? If Ford is going to go through the trouble to make a fake vent, just go a step further and make it functional! Lol
Davey13GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey13GT View Post
I really hate fake stuff on a muscle car. I punched out those fake plastic vents on the lower front bumper, so now they're real vents. Anyone else do that? If Ford is going to go through the trouble to make a fake vent, just go a step further and make it functional! Lol
I've looked into the boss brake vents but they aren't really worth the cost
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
What exactly did you remove? And by punching them out, how are they functional? What are they "venting" now that they are removed?

I agree with you in that certain fake vents and side window louvers do nothing (for me); they were intended to connect to duct tubes and then to cool brakes on the real deal race cars.
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Which is why I'm looking into boss brake ducts lol. It doesn't bother me and I like the aesthetics of some fake stuff.
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I actually love my fake hood scoop :-p gives it a pissed off mean looks when somebody sees me in their rearview
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-850332430.png
Views:	1115
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	101561  
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
I've looked into the boss brake vents but they aren't really worth the cost
That's a subjective matter ... if they keep your brakes cool on the track and prolong the life of somewhat expensive components, then I would say they are worth it and many road racers/corner carvers would agree. For Street/Strip duty though, yes, I agree they are worthless.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
I punched out those fake plastic vents on the lower front bumper, so now they're real vents.
Got pics?
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I just ordered the plastic vents, its looks better than the original ones that comes on our cars, but i agree, the whole setup is too much money

Name:	ForumRunner_20130409_151433.png
Views:	703
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	101570
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Heres a better pic

Name:	ForumRunner_20130409_151636.png
Views:	649
Size:	923.8 KB
ID:	101572
Old 04-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyLiriano View Post
Heres a better pic

Attachment 101572
I have fog light's there on my car. You can see it in this picture.
I don't like fake parts also on such a bad *** car, My car came with the side scoop and they lasted about a couple week before they had to go.

racksteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride
Which is why I'm looking into boss brake ducts lol. It doesn't bother me and I like the aesthetics of some fake stuff.
I like fake titties.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by racksteris View Post

I don't like fake parts also on such a bad *** car, My car came with the side scoop and they lasted about a couple week before they had to go.
I like your hood pins, are they functional, if yes lmk where i cam get them

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

Quote:

Btw, i will say your car looks bad ***, you have the grill i wanted if i ever do lower fogs with the center fog delete
Old 04-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
I like your hood pins, are they functional, if yes lmk where i cam get them
They are, My hood open on the highway, Was only held in place by the second latch. That's why I installed them. There UPR. Very nice quality. UPR site or Ebay has them, About $140-150
Old 04-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

They are, My hood open on the highway, Was only held in place by the second latch. That's why I installed them. There UPR. Very nice quality. UPR site or Ebay has them, About $140-150
So their upr brand? And can you post or email me some interior pics, my hood flops like it wants to fall off around 145 mph
Old 04-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Thanks, You got your car looking sweet also man.
Your doing everything right.

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

Quote:
So their upr brand? And can you post or email me some interior pics, my hood flops like it wants to fall off around 145 mph
This is for the 11 model. Its almost the same.

Installing Upr Billet Hood Pins - S197 Mustang | Mustang Forums at StangNet
Old 04-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I hate the stick on double sided foam tape crap. Just do it real.
DerekJohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
To Racksteris, dude your car looks mean I must say, esp w/ those rims and the hood pins. It definitely works with the black color. I wanted black but ended up going with gray just because the car I had beforehand was black and I live in Texas, it got way too hot and crapped out the leather(it was an Infiniti G35) plus in the summer the interior got up to 125 so I decided to go w/ gray to keep the temps down.
jkattchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:53 AM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkattchee View Post
To Racksteris, dude your car looks mean I must say, esp w/ those rims and the hood pins. It definitely works with the black color. I wanted black but ended up going with gray just because the car I had beforehand was black and I live in Texas, it got way too hot and crapped out the leather(it was an Infiniti G35) plus in the summer the interior got up to 125 so I decided to go w/ gray to keep the temps down.
Thanks. A lot of people tell me my car looks pissed off.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:54 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks. A lot of people tell me my car looks pissed off.
It does, very much. Is something that runs with all the 13s but yours "pops" more than most. I want a front end setup like yours but rather with the Shelby grille.
jkattchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks, You got your car looking sweet also man.
Your doing everything right.

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

This is for the 11 model. Its almost the same.

Installing Upr Billet Hood Pins - S197 Mustang | Mustang Forums at StangNet
Thanks bro
Old 04-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Yeah I am a follower of the mantra that "Form should follow function". If it doesn't have a function, then don't put it on your car. I never liked my fake side rear vents and I am totally impressed that the hood vents actually function. I hate to say this and please don't flame me, but I don't think I have ever seen a German or Italian car with fake vents.... Have any of you seen the new Z28 front hood vent? I think it looks ok, but I might want to color match it to the car. I guess in the end it's all about personal preference, you do to your car what makes you happy
Fritzep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Something's will be for show. Personally I don't mind it. If I can make something functional over just appearance I will but like the window louvers. There is no way to make them function. I just like the look.

I am always willing to pay more to make them a functional version but sometimes it will just be appearance.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I understand what's meant by form over function, in my particular case, mine came with the hood scoop stock... If it didn't come stock then I would probably leave it alone... technically what will a "functional" hood scoop over a "non functional" gain hp wise on these modern 5.0s?? I doubt it'll be much, it's like the ppl who change the stock airbox, they will probably gain 3-4 the most, since we already have a cold air duct from factory.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Some stuff just looks frickin badass.
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
I understand what's meant by form over function, in my particular case, mine came with the hood scoop stock... If it didn't come stock then I would probably leave it alone... technically what will a "functional" hood scoop over a "non functional" gain hp wise on these modern 5.0s?? I doubt it'll be much, it's like the ppl who change the stock airbox, they will probably gain 3-4 the most, since we already have a cold air duct from factory.
With a tune you should gain 15ish.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:49 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride View Post

Yeah...but that is because of the tune...if you tuned your car then added a different CAI you would see such a small difference that it could be argued margin of error on the dyno. So under 5HP.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:55 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride View Post

That's what I meant, the actual air filter isn't doing that much, maybe a very slight bit... I have the Steeda CAI and I don't regret getting it at all, in fact I'm very happy with it, it looks and sounds cool. I'm realistic to the fact that I'm getting maybe 3-4 hp at best with it, the tune is doing everything really... I'm just tired of ppl telling me I have a fake hood scoop and that I should make it "functional". How much power am I realistically gonna get if I make it "functional"?? I doubt it'll be my be much, and its probably expensive and probably unnecessary for these modern 5.0s... I can probably see an older car benefitting from this maybe
Old 04-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

That's what I meant, the actual air filter isn't doing that much, maybe a very slight bit... I have the Steeda CAI and I don't regret getting it at all, in fact I'm very happy with it, it looks and sounds cool. I'm realistic to the fact that I'm getting maybe 3-4 hp at best with it, the tune is doing everything really... I'm just tired of ppl telling me I have a fake hood scoop and that I should make it "functional". How much power am I realistically gonna get if I make it "functional"?? I doubt it'll be my be much, and its probably expensive and probably unnecessary for these modern 5.0s... I can probably see an older car benefitting from this maybe
Honestly it would be great if your scoop was functional but the reality is that it isn't but it looks awesome. So just ignore anyone that disses your scoop!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:58 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Im looking into getting same hood scoop as gtatyles2 has on his, except functional. Any cooler air I can get into the engine while driving is a +. Any hot air that I can get out from under hood when stopped is a +. I have a few holes in stock grill that the radiator can get some air, other then that, the engine is boxed up, and gets pretty damn hot under there..
Musskao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

What does everyone think about the SHR flush mounts? I'm seriously considering getting them.
Sharkkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #31
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkkk View Post
What does everyone think about the SHR flush mounts? I'm seriously considering getting them.
Are you talking about the louvers? I think they are awesome. I wanted to do them but didn't wanna remove me glass.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
Are you talking about the louvers? I think they are awesome. I wanted to do them but didn't wanna remove me glass.
Yeah I'm thinking hard about them. They do look sweet although installation seems too be a bit of work. Have to remove the glass like you said and trim the inside panels also
Old 04-24-2013, 06:41 AM   #33
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

You should do it! The finish product looks so sweet.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I am thinking HARD about them lol still looking for a shop to quote me for install, or how to videos on youtube + buy a drummel

---------- Post added at 04:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 AM ----------

I thiink another member on here (Midnight) is waiting for his
Old 04-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Yeah...but that is because of the tune...if you tuned your car then added a different CAI you would see such a small difference that it could be argued margin of error on the dyno. So under 5HP.
* on top of the tune

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT