TPMS - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
TPMS

If you get a new set of wheels and dont want to buy new TPMS sensors could you just use the ones out of your current wheels, or do you have to buy new ones when you get new wheels?
jkattchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I asked my local Goodyear and they said they'd charge me 20-25 dollars to switch them. Haven't done it yet due to the fact I can't fit 4 tires in my car.
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 01:57 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

No problem. I couldn't justify 200 dollars at the time to but new ones for the new wheels. So 25 max each time I want to switch rims isn't bad.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:24 AM   #5
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpost08 View Post
I asked my local Goodyear and they said they'd charge me 20-25 dollars to switch them.
That's really cheap! Discount Tire wanted $60 to swap out mine plus rebalancing.

Quote:
Haven't done it yet due to the fact I can't fit 4 tires in my car.
Try harder! Lol, I've managed to squeeze all 4 rims & tires in my mustang before.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:53 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
I asked my local Goodyear and they said they'd charge me 20-25 dollars to switch them. Haven't done it yet due to the fact I can't fit 4 tires in my car.
Haha same problem here rims and tires, no room!
Old 04-11-2013, 05:45 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I was told that they would be pretty much destroyed while removing them, and they are one time use. But then again, when I bought my wheels/tires I bought a package and all I had to do was put them straight on.

If they are in fact removable how would you transfer them though? You will have to have the set to be transferred to with you at the time regardless.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:52 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat
I was told that they would be pretty much destroyed while removing them, and they are one time use. But then again, when I bought my wheels/tires I bought a package and all I had to do was put them straight on.

If they are in fact removable how would you transfer them though? You will have to have the set to be transferred to with you at the time regardless.
They sell a tool, most shops have it.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Yup. I choose to go ahead and get new ones installed on my rims/tires from AM, since I plan on keeping my stock rims/tires for the winter. If your doing the same thing, might as well pay $200 up front, instead on $100 each time you change them out.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

Haha you're always Mis-understanding my posts and correcting me. I know they sell calibration tools. But in order to remove the sensors you have to dismount the tire from the wheel. I've heard at that point, the sensors are worthless and new ones need to be put in. That was all I was saying, and my next point was that he has two sets of wheels and one set of sensors so how would manage switching them?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
Haha you're always Mis-understanding my posts and correcting me. I know they sell calibration tools. But in order to remove the sensors you have to dismount the tire from the wheel. I've heard at that point, the sensors are worthless and new ones need to be put in. That was all I was sayinig, and my next point was that he has two sets of wheels and one set of sensors so how would manage switching them?
From what ive read there is basically a rebuild kit which allows you to reuse the original sensors. A waste of money IMO if you are going to keep the stock rims. I think he was referring to the remote that you need to sync the sensors which all tire shops should have considering all 07+ cars come with a tpms. Yes you are 100% correct, the tires need to be removed from the original rims to get the sensors off, but you can have them put on and synced to the new rims. But once again, a shop will charge atleast $125 to do so, might as well spend the extra $75 and have a set on both rims, and your own sync tool from AM and never have to worry about it again.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

If by he you mean me i was actually mean the TPMS sensors that come on the stock rims to be taken out and put in new wheels (i might not buy from AM is why i ask)
Old 04-12-2013, 01:48 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post

From what ive read there is basically a rebuild kit which allows you to reuse the original sensors. A waste of money IMO if you are going to keep the stock rims. I think he was referring to the remote that you need to sync the sensors which all tire shops should have considering all 07+ cars come with a tpms. Yes you are 100% correct, the tires need to be removed from the original rims to get the sensors off, but you can have them put on and synced to the new rims. But once again, a shop will charge atleast $125 to do so, might as well spend the extra $75 and have a set on both rims, and your own sync tool from AM and never have to worry about it again.
Yes, you are understanding what I am saying. I just thought that the OP was wanting to use stock sensors in his new wheels and tires. I wasn't even referring to the sync tool which is worth purchasing just based on the premise you don't have to rely on a tire shop. I was more less stating the fact that I heard a tpms sensor is a "one use only" sensor and that he might have to buy new sensors for the new wheels anyways... That is all.

The sync tool is a whole different story
Old 04-12-2013, 02:08 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I wasn't trying to correct anyone, I was just putting it out there. I'm not running sensors at all. When my current tires wear out, I'll buy a second set and have them installed.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:53 AM   #15
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

The sensors are reusable. I trashed two of my stock rims at the last drift event. I picked up two used rims from a junkyard that had no tires or tpms sensors. I went to a tire shop, bought two tires and had them swap my sensors over and they still worked. I didn't even need to recalibrate them.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:07 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
The sensors are reusable. I trashed two of my stock rims at the last drift event. I picked up two used rims from a junkyard that had no tires or tpms sensors. I went to a tire shop, bought two tires and had them swap my sensors over and they still worked. I didn't even need to recalibrate them.
+1. The man speaks the truth. "Reusable"
Old 04-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #17
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Never switched mine over and the light on the dash rarely comes on. When it does,I could care less.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:32 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Never switched mine over and the light on the dash rarely comes on. When it does,I could care less.
Yeah. My old tires are in the garage with my car. So unless I drive around several hours a day. It never comes on. I leave for work. Park at work for 8 1/2 hours then come back home and it still hasn't come on. But if I'm doing a lot if weekend driving. It comes on.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Mine comes on at around mile 20.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I don't run any sensors and my light comes on immediately. But I also could care less.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #21
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Yeah. My old tires are in the garage with my car. So unless I drive around several hours a day. It never comes on. I leave for work. Park at work for 8 1/2 hours then come back home and it still hasn't come on. But if I'm doing a lot if weekend driving. It comes on.
Lol, exactamundo. Mine are in the garage also and I don't drive too far so it hardly comes on.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
My light will come on from time to time. I'll just bring the old tires I just replace to America's Tire Co and have them remove the sensors and place them in my new GT500 19's.
Klaximilian is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT