Cat delete - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Cat delete

What are the best cat delete pipes to fit a 2012 5.0 ? I have the 3in X pipe on has well
92mustang2.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I would buy what ever brand you bought your x pipe from that way you know it will fit your car and x pipe
Thomas11CS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:44 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Lethal performance I'd say is the best price and still maintains good build quality. A lot of people swear by them.
MGW SHORT SHIFTER
CDC CHIN SPOILER W/ BLACK BILLET GRILLS
BLACK JLT OIL SEPARATOR
ThinBlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2013, 04:06 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Man I personally would not buy any deletes. Just pull the catted X you have now and put on the O/R-X Pipe. Make sure you have tools. You really need a 30-36" extension for the passenger side.You will be best off to have swivel sockets,along with some deep and shallow sockets.Probably got some gearwrenches I'm sure which are always a plus too. If you want to do it without needing a Jug of Percocet you need to do it on a lift. I pulled mine by myself using a customer (tool sales) of mines shops lift. I pulled it back off about 3 months later b/c it was literally Race car loud. It sounded good,especially with cam tune. But there were areas of the RPM ranges with just normal driving and getting in it that was not me. Little raspy. To correct I would have had to pull my Borla "S" off and go to like a GT500 muffler. I bought the Borla cat-back with X for my 12 and It is the best sounding exhaust I have ever had thru all areas of RPM/Shifting. No dislike spots or sounds. I miss the Power but not being the target of law for miles. The way it is now is plenty loud when I get in it.
There is several threads on this.I have done some about a year ago on this same subject when I first done mine. Just PM some guys or do research good first before doing it. Like what is the rest of your exhaust and etc. What type inspections are done in your state.
If got any questions that you wanna ask you may rather PM me if needing to ask.I am not on here as much as I use to be.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I have a o/r h from lethal with flowmaster outlaws loud doesn't describe the car . Sounds like a damn NASCAR cup car when you floor it . Lol it makes me smile but def have to behave when driving in town
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:02 AM   #6
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Just be sure to keep the cats, as you cannot sell or trade the car in legally without the cats installed. A buyer can come back and sue you for knowingly selling a vehicle without the cats. And good luck pleading "I didn't know they were missing". I know this because my son sold his "catless" vehicle to a private buyer with an "AS IS" statement in the letter they both signed. A week later, my son was served papers by the buyers lawyer. Apparently the buyer went to register the car in his state that required an inspection. It failed due to missing its cats. He tried the "I didn't know they were missing"; it did not work. My son had two choices: buy the car back for the original selling price, or pay to have cats installed. He bought it back. He also did not have to pay the 30K federal fine by agreeing to buy it back.

It may not be a big deal in your area if inspections are not present, or that "they look the other way". This is a federal law, which supersedes any local laws.

Best to keep them on unless you are full out racing with no street use with this Mustang.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Just can't decide to leave the cats on or off. Heard the bolts were a pain in the *** to remove. Plus I really want the ghost cam tune
Old 04-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92mustang2.3 View Post
Just can't decide to leave the cats on or off. Heard the bolts were a pain in the *** to remove. Plus I really want the ghost cam tune
Just the one bolt on the passenger side. With the right tools it is cake. Also depends on how old your car is. Older with more rust harder to remove the bolt.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

2012 5.0 with 23,000 miles
Old 04-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
2012 5.0 with 23,000 miles
Ehhh might have some fun. I did mine at 12K. Was rusted on bad enough I had to use a stripped bolt remover. It is still doable!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The rustiness of your bolts also depends on your location, btw. My buddy has 44k on his 11, and his bolts weren't hard at all to remove when we did his o/r X. But then again this is Texas, where the summer weather probably matches the heat from your exhaust pipes anyways lol and snow is a fairy tale.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
WD-40 is a rusty bolt's best friend.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
The rustiness of your bolts also depends on your location, btw. My buddy has 44k on his 11, and his bolts weren't hard at all to remove when we did his o/r X. But then again this is Texas, where the summer weather probably matches the heat from your exhaust pipes anyways lol and snow is a fairy tale.
Haha yeah one season of snow and salt on mine when I finally did the o/r pipe. Was not fun.

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
WD-40 is a rusty bolt's best friend.
Yeah...I tried that among a few other big names and nothing loosened that bolt. It just is at a funny angle.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
Haha yeah one season of snow and salt on mine when I finally did the o/r pipe. Was not fun.

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

Yeah...I tried that among a few other big names and nothing loosened that bolt. It just is at a funny angle.
That's not promising since I will be waiting probably til next summer to put on an o/r pipe haha
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

There are lots of good comments here on this mod. Yes, the cats are a bit difficult to get off but going thu the top of the engine compartment got my passenger side bolts off. I had about 1.5-2 hours in getting the car up on jack stands and crawling over/under to drop the cats. 30 minutes to bolt them in but then I had to repeat that 3 times, and still it leaked. I had bought BBK cat delete pipes since I already had the BBK X-pipe. I ended up having to break out the welder and although welding it on my back in the driveway worked, it took me a few times to complete the welding because it is kind of tight between the pipe joint and the floor... I have a Pype bomb axle back, BBK X pipe and BBK cat deletes, stock shorty headers. It is loud as hell now! Almost too loud as I am no longer able punch it without causing a real civil disturbance, LOL! Enjoy...
Konawin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

So do all the cat delete brands have exhaust leaks ?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So do all the cat delete brands have exhaust leaks ?
seems to be hit or miss. I have the JBA o/r X pipe and others on here have their X and H pipes for o/r and no leaks and then others say they do.

I don't have experience with the other brands tho but the same things seem to happen. Some do some don't.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:02 PM   #18
Mok
Registered Member
Regular

I ended up going with the jba h pipe with the cat deletes and muffler deletes. This car is absurdly loud beyond reason. I get mixed reactions from people. Some give me the "Hell Yeah!" Head nod, and some people look at me life I'm the biggest dickhead
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:09 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I have the magnaflow off x no leaks
Thomas11CS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Are all cat deletes plus x pipes extremely loud? I've got a corsca axle back, and just orderd a pypes x pipe and cat delete. Have not put it on yet. But reading this thread. Kind of makes me not want to install the cat deletes if there going to make my ride extremely loud. I drive a 11' 5.0
Jsmorley81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:11 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmorley81 View Post
Are all cat deletes plus x pipes extremely loud? I've got a corsca axle back, and just orderd a pypes x pipe and cat delete. Have not put it on yet. But reading this thread. Kind of makes me not want to install the cat deletes if there going to make my ride extremely loud. I drive a 11' 5.0
yep with those mufflers you will be loud at WOT but cruising really won't be. If you want to tame it down do some GT500 axle backs or as you said don't do the cat deletes.

I have the borlas which from what I understand are about as loud at WOT as the Corsa so your car is going to be a lot like mine, LOUD.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:56 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

So basically. With everyday driving it will not be screaming loud? Really, only when I'm at wide open throttle? Is that correct. I will not mind that as much
Old 04-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So basically. With everyday driving it will not be screaming loud? Really, only when I'm at wide open throttle? Is that correct. I will not mind that as much
Long as your shifting by about 3K RPMs it isn't terrible loud. I mean it is still loud but nothing anyone will complain over. Even cops won't pay you any attention.

Now driving on the highway at 80 with my foot on the gas....she is pretty loud. Depends on what you call loud.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:47 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok View Post
I ended up going with the jba h pipe with the cat deletes and muffler deletes. This car is absurdly loud beyond reason. I get mixed reactions from people. Some give me the "Hell Yeah!" Head nod, and some people look at me life I'm the biggest dickhead

LOL
Sharkkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:14 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Do cat deletes give you any extra hp/torque
Old 04-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #26
Mok
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I definitely feel more power. I noticed it right a way
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Just order my BBK cat deletes today
Old 05-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
I've heard anywhere from 10-20hp.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

I've heard anywhere from 10-20hp.
Man I can't wait either
Old 05-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I put long tube heads with off road and cat back no cats. NASTY!!! You'll love it
Old 05-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

My BBK's leaked pretty bad. Enough that I removed the clamps and had them welded to the h-pipe. I'd do it again in a heartbeat though, the car runs a noticeable bit better without them.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorDog009 View Post
My BBK's leaked pretty bad. Enough that I removed the clamps and had them welded to the h-pipe. I'd do it again in a heartbeat though, the car runs a noticeable bit better without them.
Did you have the factory H pipe on ?
Old 05-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did you have the factory H pipe on ?
Yea, it's still on there. I'm gonna leave it on unless I do LT's and then I'll change it out.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorDog009 View Post

Yea, it's still on there. I'm gonna leave it on unless I do LT's and then I'll change it out.
I'm hoping with me having a 3 inch X-Pipe that the BBK will seal nicely to it.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I'd think it should seal pretty well. The stock H is just not quite big enough to cause a good seal, in my case anyway. You should be fine with 3".

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT