Glass pack Weld or Bolt on Axle back system? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-13-2013, 12:01 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Glass pack Weld or Bolt on Axle back system?

I want to change my exhaust soon. I want my mustang to be loud, very loud, my first GT and I want it to be loud and proud, I would like Glass pack since cherry bomb is making them like back in the day, I know its not a camaro which is usually the glass pack favorite but i want it to be unique. i don't see many mustangs around here with glass packs, all bolt on, all borla, just the same ol same ol. what id your guys opinion on this, personally id like to go with glass pack but i get mixed reviews on it. i am also gonna go with either black powdercoat tips or black chrome tips for the exhaust tips.

by the way, my car is less than a month old since ive purchased it,
2010 grabber blue mustang GT, V8 4.6L if you guys needed any of those specs to determine suggestions
Shirinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2013, 12:03 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
If you want it loud...gonna need to make those cats disappear.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
If you want it loud...gonna need to make those cats disappear.
First time messing with a car as a project car that im gonna keep for awhile, last car was a 2000 v6 mustang with 198k+ miles, so i only did a flowmaster single on there with a CAI how do i make the cats disappear? what all do i need to get for that, and whats the cost usually run?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2013, 12:15 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirinero View Post

First time messing with a car as a project car that im gonna keep for awhile, last car was a 2000 v6 mustang with 198k+ miles, so i only did a flowmaster single on there with a CAI how do i make the cats disappear? what all do i need to get for that, and whats the cost usually run?
Buying a cat back exhaust would get rid of those cats for ya
Robbiemustang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:19 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiemustang96 View Post

Umm no you would need to get an off road mid pipe to do that
2004 GT Premium Package: mach 1 grille delete, 8" shorty antenna, CDC lightbar, borla stingers, UPR o/r x, Black chrome bumper inserts, redline tuning hood struts, white face gauges, raxiom smoked tail lights.
Born on 3/31/04
06REDF1RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i need more info than that, what should i look for, whats more notorious, whats got the deepest sound while still being the loudest, i want a bass like sound, something that can really piss the neighbor off
Old 04-13-2013, 12:23 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
A muffler delete is basically the same sound as the old school glass packs. The cheapest way to go would be to take it to a muffler shop, have them remove the mufflers, install straight pipe with 10" tips. Removing the cats will be a little louder, but it will sound like chit without a muffler.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:26 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06REDF1RE View Post

Umm no you would need to get an off road mid pipe to do that
To get a catback?! Ok i stand corrected
Robbiemustang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:28 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
JBA Mustang Off-Road X-Pipe (05-10 GT) 1775SX - Free Shipping! This or a similar Hpipe will do the trick.
BlackBetty5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:34 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

No it won't. Cats are in the Midpipe.

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

If you really want loud and deep toned sound. Do a offroad H with a flowmaster 10 muffler. It will howl and sound deep. But it would be way too loud for me. I have a offroad H and a flowmaster super 44 muffler. If you just want as loud as possible. Run an offroad x to a straight pipe.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:20 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Off road X pipe and Roush A/b's... I promise it is loud.... If you got the cash, then long tubes, off road X and Roush A/B's

OrganDonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:09 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Get an off road midpipe and a straight through design catback like slp
Old 04-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganDonor View Post
Off road X pipe and Roush A/b's... I promise it is loud.... If you got the cash, then long tubes, off road X and Roush A/B's
He said loud and deep. This setup is anything but deep.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

He said loud and deep. This setup is anything but deep.
thank you. What I wanna go for, imagine a car show, and there's that really loud, deep, muscle car that shows up, a classic, I want to sound like that, but look new
Old 04-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirinero

thank you. What I wanna go for, imagine a car show, and there's that really loud, deep, muscle car that shows up, a classic, I want to sound like that, but look new
Your second post was misleading when you asked about cost. Your gonna spend at least 2 grand to have the best sounding car at a show.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

Your second post was misleading when you asked about cost. Your gonna spend at least 2 grand to have the best sounding car at a show.
I just asked was the cost was to see comparison, and no one has really replied from the side of glasspack, thank you for your answer though. Idk about 2g but I can't change to much in the car like I said I just bought it, so you can't mess with the cats otherwise it voids the warranty
Old 04-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I just asked was the cost was to see comparison, and no one has really replied from the side of glasspack, thank you for your answer though. Idk about 2g but I can't change to much in the car like I said I just bought it, so you can't mess with the cats otherwise it voids the warranty
If you are not gonna mess with the cats it will only get so loud. I would even bet your car with straight pipes and cats still on it would get beat in loudness by any cat less stang but maybe those running GT500 mufflers.

Doesn't sound like you can do what you want.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Dakota
I think a set I magnaflows comp series and a offroad h-pipe will get you a deep tone that you want
Mweigt07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #19
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

I put Kooks LTs,HF cats and Mac Boomtubes on my 3V and it was just as loud as my current 4V with ARH LTs,O/R X and Roush. You can keep the cats on your 3V if you want and it will still be obnoxious as hell.

It sounded just like this car.....

DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
H pipe will give you a deeper sound, as opposed to an x pipe, that will be a bit louder, but also tends to rasp. I have the roush axlebacks now, and they are pretty loud for just a muffler. From what ive heard tho, they get a little raspy with and x pipe.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mweigt07
I think a set I magnaflows comp series and a offroad h-pipe will get you a deep tone that you want
He wants to keep his warranty.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
H pipe will give you a deeper sound, as opposed to an x pipe, that will be a bit louder, but also tends to rasp. I have the roush axlebacks now, and they are pretty loud for just a muffler. From what ive heard tho, they get a little raspy with and x pipe though.
I promise you them by themselves are not loud
Old 04-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I hate hate hate glass packs on our cars.... even though i love straight through mufflers lol...i guess the size of the shell and matting can really change the sound. I love my borla stingers...you call them same ol same ol...but i rarely see another borla exhaust around. Just seems same ole due to being on a national forum

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
I hate hate hate glass packs on our cars.... even though i love straight through mufflers lol...i guess the size of the shell and matting can really change the sound. I love my borla stingers...you call them same ol same ol...but i rarely see another borla exhaust around. Just seems same ole due to being on a national forum
Same old same old is roush. Everybody and their brother buy roush. I agree with you. I've never met another 5.0 owner with borla in person before.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #25
Regular
Supporter

Same old same old is Roush and Borla. Every Tom,dick and Harry has one of the 2.....including myself. I bought mine when they were under $400 (in 2010) and not many people had them. BTW,they both sound great but they will be replaced with some GT500s shortly.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Same old same old is Roush and Borla. Every Tom,dick and Harry has one of the 2.....including myself. I bought mine when they were under $400 (in 2010) and not many people had them. BTW,they both sound great but they will be replaced with some GT500s shortly.
I've got the Magnaflow Comps and I really like it... I'd love to hear the Mac Prochamber with this set up.

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
That's exactly why'd I'd like to try the glasspack, I hasn't seen one down here
Old 04-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's exactly why'd I'd like to try the glasspack, I hasn't seen one down here
There's probably a reason for that.....

I personally am not a fan of glasspacks, especially on mustangs, but at the end of the day, its your car, so you should get whatever you want! Just make sure you upload some sound clips after!
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 04-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #29
Regular
Supporter

My buddy has some glass packs on his Charger and they sound great. They sound nothing like you would think amd have a nice deep tone but WOT they scream.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post

There's probably a reason for that.....

I personally am not a fan of glasspacks, especially on mustangs, but at the end of the day, its your car, so you should get whatever you want! Just make sure you upload some sound clips after!
Why are you not a fan
Old 04-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Glass packs sound the best on push rod motors.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Why are you not a fan
Just dont like the tone of them on a mustang. Incredibly loud was never my first prioriy tho. I prefer something with a bit deeper tone under normal acceleration, but still sounds like a monster once you put your foot down.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

If you don't want to void the warranty I guess maybe slp or pype bombs.i have the bombs on my car and they have a deep loud sound.had them about a year already n still sound beast.only thing is the drone but I just crank up the music.but they pretty loud when your hauling ***
Torchred2010gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT