New owner of a 2011 GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
New owner of a 2011 GT

New to the forum but not new to Mustangs. Owned a '67 coupe and a '69 convertible. Anyway, picked up a 2011 Race Red GT Premium with only 8800 miles about a month ago. LOVE IT!! Previous owner had already put on Roush axle-backs, Eleanor grill and smoked Raxiom headlights. The thing looks sinister from the front and sounds awesome.

The reason I am posting is a recent weird issue with the fuel gauge. Yesterday I filled it up as usual, started the car and the gauge is setting just below 3/4, and I know it is full. Also the range only reads 171 miles. I read about a TSB for a fuel level problem, but it sounds different that what I have going on. Anyone have this happen? or have any ideas? Thanks!
11RaceRedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Welcome to the club first off.
The fuel gauge isn't to accurate to begin with. Mine is pretty far off as well. As far as the range, it seems to based off of the average mpg so if you reset that I think your range might change. The fuel consumption is really best guess with this car. It really depends on how much "fun" you have had. Mpg from 3-26 on mine.
Delta vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:41 AM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Any warranty left on the car?

My 2011 is very accurate. I would not accept a gas guage in this day and age that is off by what you are stating; 1/4 off!

My 63 VW bug had a floating arm that was more accurate.
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the welcome. Lots of good info and help here that I have already needed! Anyway, yes, there are a few months left on the 3yr/36000mile warranty. I should probably take it in. Gas gauge crept up a little bit on the way to work this a.m., but not to full mark. As far as gas mileage, the display on the dash says 17.6 average and has been slowly creeping up. I did not reset it from the previous owner's mpg. I am at 19.9-21.2 mpg on my commute by doing the math. There is a little "fun" in that mix of driving though, so I am happy with the mileage. Would a K&N filter add a little more mpg's?
Old 04-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It's been dyno proven, actually, that the stock paper filter flows better than the k&n filter. I think you would be wasting your money there. I have heard of people getting increased gas mileage with good tuning, so there's an option.

The best mileage I've ever seen was from my buddies procharged 2013. My car averaged 23mpg on a 5 hour road trip and his average was a little over 26 with the procharger. We were both driving 75-80mph the whole way with some spirited driving that I couldn't come close to matching in my 2012 LOL.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

ZLwhat...thanks for the info. Thats interesting that the stock filter is better. I can't imagine the power of the 5.0L with a supercharger added....that must be a (scary) blast to drive!

So, what do you mean by "good tuning"? Like a BAMA or something else that recalibrates? I have gotten kind of leary of messing with factory adjustments or modifying things. I am usually disappointed and have to undo the mod and have wasted $.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I don't believe for a minute that an aftermarket tune will net better mpgs than the Ford tune that came on the car. I'm talking stock trim only. Mpgs sells cars, I don't think Ford would leave anything on the table as far as mpg.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

tc x 4.....I agree completely with leaving the mechanics stock. I figure if the Ford engineers designed it, there is a reason for it. Even lowering a car impacts the suspension geometry, in my opinion. But then, I am over 50.....

I can not complain about my 20 mpg mixed highway / city driving. Haven't done trip yet that is 100% freeway, but I have no doubt about the 26 mpg I read about! Good looks, good economy, and performance that pins you back in the seat at the drop of the hammer! I wish I hadn't waited so long to get a 5.0.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The only thing I'd ever touch on my suspension is the control arms for better traction. But I'm over 50 too. The slamming the car to the ground thing will pass in time, just like in our day, jacking the rear up with air shocks and having the tires stick our 2" past the fenders. When you look back over the years, Ford made the right call to start with.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
The slamming the car to the ground thing will pass in time, just like in our day, jacking the rear up with air shocks and having the tires stick our 2" past the fenders. When you look back over the years, Ford made the right call to start with.
Amen to that (and I'm only turning 45 this month) - I'm not a fan of dragging things with the bottom of my car and don't find it very visually appealing (but to each their own). About all I plan to do is toss some koni adjustables into mine - it handles great, it just tends to dive a bit more than I'd like on bumps and hard braking.

Nikki
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't believe for a minute that an aftermarket tune will net better mpgs than the Ford tune that came on the car. I'm talking stock trim only. Mpgs sells cars, I don't think Ford would leave anything on the table as far as mpg.
Is your car tuned? Maybe you should try it
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Well...I get better MPG tuned...I know I am not the only one.

You don't at first because you drive the car hard every chance given. But once you drive it normal again you do. Not much. 1-2 MPG but better than loosing 1-2.

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

Quote:
The only thing I'd ever touch on my suspension is the control arms for better traction. But I'm over 50 too. The slamming the car to the ground thing will pass in time, just like in our day, jacking the rear up with air shocks and having the tires stick our 2" past the fenders. When you look back over the years, Ford made the right call to start with.
The right call being a 4X4 Jeep? I don't think everyonewill want to go as low as I did but the car at least needs lowered an inch. The wheel gap is hideous.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Your opinion , not mine.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Your opinion , not mine.
Yep, and only one of us has personal experience with this car and said topics.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:28 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

Yep, and only one of us has personal experience with this car and said topics.
Lol, experience at what, being very opinionated. I got news for ya, your opinion is of a small percentage of mustang owners over all. I can handle my car looking like a jeep, as long as it looks nothing like a Tyodo.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol, experience at what, being very opinionated. I got news for ya, your opinion is of a small percentage of mustang owners over all. I can handle my car looking like a jeep, as long as it looks nothing like a Tyodo.

LOL at the "tyodo" comment. I didn't realize having a car sit lower with a better center of gravity was a bad thing. Also wheel gap. Look at Ferrari Lamborghini mazerati BMW etc. And you won't see wheel gap on any of their super cars. Actually won't see it on any super car really. Other muscle cars the camaro, challenger, corvette etc. Don't have it either.

But your right. They all look like "toyodo" and if that is the case I proudly drive a 2011 Toyodo 5.0!

What an ignorant comment.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

LOL at the "tyodo" comment. I didn't realize having a car sit lower with a better center of gravity was a bad thing. Also wheel gap. Look at Ferrari Lamborghini mazerati BMW etc. And you won't see wheel gap on any of their super cars. Actually won't see it on any super car really. Other muscle cars the camaro, challenger, corvette etc. Don't have it either.

But your right. They all look like "toyodo" and if that is the case I proudly drive a 2011 Toyodo 5.0!

What an ignorant comment.
Agreed 100% No self respecting sports should have severe wheel gap, mine is lowered an inch and now it looks normal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-948691031.png
Views:	106
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	102785  
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Wow....such hostility. I look at my car and I do not see "severe" or "hideous" wheel gap. The tire and fender flow together quite nicely with a uniform "gap". HOWEVER, I can appeciate the look of a TASTEFULLY lowered Mustang. I just would not change mine. I like the way it sits and I already have to be careful on certain driveway and parking lot entrances.

Regarding a tune....is this something that is subtle enough it does not adversely impact the running of the engine? My neighbor has a new Camaro with a "tune" and he can hardly keep the thing running when cold. Can a tune be undone and the car easily put back to factory settings? I am not familiar with this stuff....my other car is a '29 AV8 with a carburated 302. No computers. Simple. A screw driver will "tune" it. It is also running "big and littles" (you older guys will know what that means) with a nice raked stance that some people don't like, but I do.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I love my 11 GT. if I was pressed to say anything negative about this car it would be the gap between the tires and the fender well. Mind you, it has the stock suspension and the stock 19" tires. I for one, will be lowering it an estimated 1" in front and 1.5" rear. I'll be also installing 20" wheels and tires.

Another thing I would say is fuel doesn't last very much, but that's just me I think.

BTW, I'm 59 1/2.
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

Agreed 100% No self respecting sports should have severe wheel gap, mine is lowered an inch and now it looks normal
Yup. As I stated I don't think everyone will like the huge drop I took. I get that. But the car looks wrong stock. A 1-1.5" drop is 100% needed.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

One more thing, I'm sure the design and engineering teams presented the very best they could offer. In the real world, the bean counters have the final word. To wit, the deal with IRS ending up with a live axle. Not that I'm a big fan of IRS...
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I would consider the GT500 to be somewhat of a "super car". They roll out of the factory at .4" (3/8") lower that a stock GT. If ride height is good enough for Ford AND Shelby, then it is good for me. To each their own.

Anyway, my original post about issue with fuel gauge....it slowly came up to full as I drove. Called Ford service and their are 2 fuel level sensors that need to "talk" to each other and sometimes its a slow conversation. They said not too worry unless it reads E when full.....And, yes, it tends to not last too long anyway....
Old 04-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11RaceRedGT View Post
I would consider the GT500 to be somewhat of a "super car". They roll out of the factory at .4" (3/8") lower that a stock GT. If ride height is good enough for Ford AND Shelby, then it is good for me. To each their own.

Anyway, my original post about issue with fuel gauge....it slowly came up to full as I drove. Called Ford service and their are 2 fuel level sensors that need to "talk" to each other and sometimes its a slow conversation. They said not too worry unless it reads E when full.....And, yes, it tends to not last too long anyway....
I wouldn't consider it a super car. You'll never see the mustangs compete with Ferrari, lambos, McLarens, etc. Those are super cars. Even when I mentioned BMW I don't mean their M3 or M5 but those have no real wheel gap either.

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
One more thing, I'm sure the design and engineering teams presented the very best they could offer. In the real world, the bean counters have the final word. To wit, the deal with IRS ending up with a live axle. Not that I'm a big fan of IRS...
Its been thought they kept the wheel gap to give it an old school muscle car look.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
I wouldn't consider it a super car. You'll never see the mustangs compete with Ferrari, lambos, McLarens, etc. Those are super cars. Even when I mentioned BMW I don't mean their M3 or M5 but those have no real wheel gap either.

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

Its been thought they kept the wheel gap to give it an old school muscle car look.
I read the wheel gap is for snow chains. Not joking haha
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

The other thing to consider when modifying a vehicle is that it adds nothing to the resale value (fact) and in most instances hinders resale (my opinion). When I see a car advertised that I may be in the market for with a long list of mods, I won't waste my time.

I am really surprised in an online community of Mustang fans, there is such discourse and attitude. Sorry I joined in to ask a simple question.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Welcome!
2013fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #27
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Lets give the OP the respect of staying on topic. This is my only warning.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2011 gt