Royal Purple & Dealer Oil Change? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Royal Purple & Dealer Oil Change?

I went to the dealer to have my oil changed on Friday and I brought Royal Purple oil. The Dealer said they would use my oil and I would save some money. So after the oil was changed I went home and pulled out the dipstick and dragged it across some tissue paper. The color was a tinge of purple but a little charcoal color. I then took the remaining Royal Purple from the jug and placed it on the tissue paper beside it. It was a neon purple. Do you think the charcoal purple is normal or do you think the dealer ripped me off?

Also do I need to take my car to the dealer to keep the warranty in check or can I do the oil changes myself?

Thanks
Fritzep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzep View Post
I went to the dealer to have my oil changed on Friday and I brought Royal Purple oil. The Dealer said they would use my oil and I would save some money. So after the oil was changed I went home and pulled out the dipstick and dragged it across some tissue paper. The color was a tinge of purple but a little charcoal color. I then took the remaining Royal Purple from the jug and placed it on the tissue paper beside it. It was a neon purple. Do you think the charcoal purple is normal or do you think the dealer ripped me off?

Also do I need to take my car to the dealer to keep the warranty in check or can I do the oil changes myself?

Thanks
Did they change your filter?
BIGHOSS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
You should of changed it your self, very easy and since you brought them your own oil.

New Orleans FaceBook Mustang Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NewOrleansS550/
rm2092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
How many miles between oil change did u go?? If the oil was really dark, chances are your new oil will look dark too... Plus I'm sure whoever did your oil change didn't wait till every ounce of oil was drained out... That's why I like doing mine myself
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGHOSS5.0 View Post
Did they change your filter?
Yeah they said they changed the filter.

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
How many miles between oil change did u go?? If the oil was really dark, chances are your new oil will look dark too... Plus I'm sure whoever did your oil change didn't wait till every ounce of oil was drained out... That's why I like doing mine myself
I went 5000 KM which is about 3100 Miles. If I do the change myself, will I have warranty issues?
Old 04-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I would either change it real early, or right now.

Nice move checking. I'm always super paranoid about dealer work
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

As long as you document it you can retain your warranty and do it yourself at home. The reason it looks dark is they didn't let it drain completely. Common in quick lube bays. I let mine drain till its barely dripping. This mixes with the new oil and immediately gets a darker colour. It would be very sketchy to steal a customers oil. Especially rp which is pretty easy to check.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:

Yeah they said they changed the filter.

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

I went 5000 KM which is about 3100 Miles. If I do the change myself, will I have warranty issues?
If warranty is the concern, then it would be best to have the dealer or an authorized shop do it only because its documented.
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Just use the logbook. Nbd. An oil change is kiddy play.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:55 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I do my own oil changes, when i do i'll unscrew the plug and then walk away for 10-15 minutes before doing anything else.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #11
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
As my mechanic says the only reason you need to use the dealer is for recalls and warranty work. I use the dealer for oil. They're quick they use good stuff, and I don't have to drive all the way to recycle it.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
If your going to buy the oil you should do the change yourself, have couple beers and admire your engine. Having worked at a dealership there going to get your car in and out as quickly as possible. They make no money on an oil change so there not going to spend a lot of time on it.
Mig44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
As my mechanic says the only reason you need to use the dealer is for recalls and warranty work. I use the dealer for oil. They're quick they use good stuff, and I don't have to drive all the way to recycle it.
Recycle it I just pour mine in the ditch next to the pond Joking!
BIGHOSS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks
Thw first time I ran RP after I bought my car it was the same way, purple with a slight charcoal tint. The RP picked up the remaining hints of the previous oil that was in the car. The 2nd cycle of royal purple was much better. But I too suggest changing the oil yourself. That way you know that it was done right and no corners were cut to get you in and out.
HERGTSPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Hell I didnt think it stayed purple once u drive it
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
Hell I didnt think it stayed purple once u drive it
It doesnt change from purple to charcoal as soon as you crank the car. Lol. Of course it changed color when you start putting miles into it but it retains a purple hue for a while. I think im close to 3k miles on this cycle and it still has a slight purple hue to it
HERGTSPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by HERGTSPOT View Post
It doesnt change from purple to charcoal as soon as you crank the car. Lol. Of course it changed color when you start putting miles into it but it retains a purple hue for a while. I think im close to 3k miles on this cycle and it still has a slight purple hue to it
Sounds like this was the guys first oil change though, it's entirely possible there were still some deposits from break-in that made the oil look like this. Couple that with the oil not being completely drained by lazy dealership techs and this sounds like it's probably normal to me.

I would never dream of letting anyone change the oil in my Mustang but me. I never trusted them in the first place, and even less so after hearing all the horror stories of people getting the Coyotes back with only 5qts of oil in them.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

O ok cool
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I've run mine for about 1000 miles after oil change and its still somewhat purplish tinted. That's after a day at the strip with 7-8 hard passes.
Blu13stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thw first time I ran RP after I bought my car it was the same way, purple with a slight charcoal tint. The RP picked up the remaining hints of the previous oil that was in the car. The 2nd cycle of royal purple was much better. But I too suggest changing the oil yourself. That way you know that it was done right and no corners were cut to get you in and out.
Yeah that sounds about right. I will let it go this time and next time I will do it myself. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
When switching oils, you can expect a difference from the out of the bottle color to the dipstick color because of the risidual oil on the internal engine surfaces, in addition to left over amounts that may pool in the engine cavities. Not to worry, after several changes, you will find a consistant color/viscosity on the dipstick. I not only keep a log on the oil changes, but I swing by my local Ford service center and have them make an update on their file. I also have them take a copy of my reciepts so I have back ups to back ups. We are talking about a legality, so cover your *** with paper.
mtnman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman325 View Post
When switching oils, you can expect a difference from the out of the bottle color to the dipstick color because of the risidual oil on the internal engine surfaces, in addition to left over amounts that may pool in the engine cavities. Not to worry, after several changes, you will find a consistant color/viscosity on the dipstick. I not only keep a log on the oil changes, but I swing by my local Ford service center and have them make an update on their file. I also have them take a copy of my reciepts so I have back ups to back ups. We are talking about a legality, so cover your *** with paper.
Wow your local Ford dealer must love you
Old 04-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Change your own oil. Then you will have no doubt. When you let someone else do it there's always the chance that they aren't using the oil you asked for.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #24
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGHOSS5.0 View Post

Recycle it I just pour mine in the ditch next to the pond Joking!
:lamo: I thought that was recycling, putting it back into earth and all haha
Old 04-21-2013, 12:59 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Changing any cars oil is relatively easy I just hate having to take it to recycle
kornflake7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:30 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornflake7
Changing any cars oil is relatively easy I just hate having to take it to recycle
What? No ponds near by, just use the street drain then. Lol
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #27
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

What? No ponds near by, just use the street drain then. Lol
That's even better
Old 04-22-2013, 04:44 AM   #28
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
If warranty is the concern, then it would be best to have the dealer or an authorized shop do it only because its documented.
Save your reciepts when you do your own oil changes. If a automotive manufacturer required you to have them do any maintenence work or it voids a warranty, then they would have to provide the materials and labor for free. Its a federal law that states this to protect the consumer and repair shops.

I'm suprised the dealership even took your oil to do the change; it's like taking raw food to a restaurant and asking them to cook it for you at a cheaper price!
Old 04-22-2013, 04:51 AM   #29
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornflake7 View Post
Parts stores in my area take it...for free too.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Save your reciepts when you do your own oil changes. If a automotive manufacturer required you to have them do any maintenence work or it voids a warranty, then they would have to provide the materials and labor for free. Its a federal law that states this to protect the consumer and repair shops.

I'm suprised the dealership even took your oil to do the change; it's like taking raw food to a restaurant and asking them to cook it for you at a cheaper price!
Don't think I agree with that. With raw food you have no idea how to tell if it is contaminated, out of date, etc. 100% and if you cook it for someone and they get sick they can blame you for not cooking it well enough even if the food was contaminated before bringing into their business. Also food for other people will be cooked in the same place. My oil isn't mixed with someone else's oil before being put in my car.

Oil really doesn't have that problem. Royal Purple is a well known brand and if the bottles were sealed I don't see why they wouldn't. They are getting "paid" either way and it isn't like you are gonna be able to say they poured it in wrong. Now if they put the wrong amount or don't seal the filter etc. yes but that is their problem.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT