Local Ford dealer...Stealer-ship - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Local Ford dealer...Stealer-ship

WOW! So I went to the stealer-ship yesterday...Why is it when you go to the service department they never have anyone there who actually knows anything about cars/trucks? I went in and told them I had axle back exhaust I wanted to put on my car. Then the service rep got this glazed look over his eyes, and you can tell he was lost just looking at him...so I made it easy for him, I told him I want to change the mufflers, to which he replys "Let me go ask Bob, he knows what to tell you" to which I was like
So "Bob" comes out and says you want to change out your exhaust system? Me No, axle back, mufflers.
So then "Bob" goes "oh, no problem let me go ask Lisa, she will know what to tell you."
Me
So after standing there for about 10 minutes with the original guy, who still had the glazed look over his eyes...a Woman comes over and asks if she can help me to which I reply, "Are you Lisa?"
The answer I got was, "No, Lisa will come out of that door" and she walks off at this point I am ready to leave, but I decide to give Lisa a chance.
Then the second guy comes back out and tells me, "it will cost $250 to change the exhaust system, but we can not touch the catalytic converters"
Me at this point I was like OK thanks and left...

Normally I would do it myself, but all my tools are packed away and I do not feel like crawling around under the car without a lift of some kind... Yes, I did find someone to do it for $75 and I am fine with that....But it seems like every time I go to the stealership this is the kind of service I get...You would think they could get some people with a automotive background in this economy...but I guess not

Oh, and FYI...it was Gullo Ford in Conroe, Texas
BIGHOSS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Bummer Glad you did find a place to hook you up. I'm going to call around for mine, if I can get them installed that cheaply, it's just not worth my time to mess with it.

When I brought my Focus ST in for an oil change over the winter one of the service guys was checking out my winter tires/wheels and telling me they looked good and asked if the car came with them. I told him "No, they didn't, but since I didn't want to die I had to change out the ones the car came with." He just got this really puzzled look and walked away.

Really, service guy, you don't know that some cars come with summer only tires that don't work in cold and snow? I was kinda disappointed. I asked the tech writer (he knew why I swapped them) about the guy and I was told it was just one of their oil change guys. I guess that makes it a little better.
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Granted I've been away from Texas for 10 years in the military, but I thought all us Texans were born with a gun in one hand, a wrench in the other, and the mechanical aptitude in our brains. This dealership must be an outreach program for the mechanically disadvantaged.
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U View Post
Granted I've been away from Texas for 10 years in the military, but I thought all us Texans were born with a gun in one hand, a wrench in the other, and the mechanical aptitude in our brains. This dealership must be an outreach program for the mechanically disadvantaged.
Haha! Yeah I here you, but it seems like every service department I go to is like this now...It is like they go to the People of Walmart web page and hire the biggest moron they can find...I hope the Mechanics are at least trained professionals.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Man, i should use that to get out of some sticky situations. "Hello Joe, What's the status on those financial reports, bud? I'm going to need them on my desk by the end of the day."

"Let me go ask Bob for ya, He's good with these types of things." never come back.

In all seriousness. I don't really trust dealerships. My mom took her HHR to the dealership, they quoted her $500 for the fix. She said no, and left. Brought it back a few months later, quoted her $700 for the same fix.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
Man, i should use that to get out of some sticky situations. "Hello Joe, What's the status on those financial reports, bud? I'm going to need them on my desk by the end of the day."

"Let me go ask Bob for ya, He's good with these types of things." never come back.

In all seriousness. I don't really trust dealerships. My mom took her HHR to the dealership, they quoted her $500 for the fix. She said no, and left. Brought it back a few months later, quoted her $700 for the same fix.
Hints the name...Stealership
Old 04-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Haha one dealership I went too that did gear installs in my area wanted to charge me 1200 bucks parts and labor. Local mustang only shop did it for 550 parts and labor.

I wouldn't trust any dealership with after market Anything.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ya definitely something easy to do, also with gears I called and they quoted me 750 labor to change gears, getting them done at a local shop for 300
kornflake7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:04 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornflake7
Ya definitely something easy to do, also with gears I called and they quoted me 750 labor to change gears, getting them done at a local shop for 300
Anybody can bolt them in, but to set them up correctly is far from easy. It's easy in the sense that you can learn it, but you better have someone showing you that knows his chit.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:36 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I wouldn't imagine many dealers swap mufflers. It's usually done at home or a non-dealer shop. I might have looked at you funny for bringing in such a simple job to the place that charges the most! But they all should learn more about their products so they don't have glazed looks.

My experience with a GT handling kit was 180 degrees different. Having said that, my closest dealer didn't want to touch it even though they were Ford Racing parts.

I didn't find the 'setup' or install difficult with my FRPP axle-backs, but this might be different depending on manufacturer, I guess
hobo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:30 AM   #11
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Wow. Gullo sucks.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:36 AM   #12
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
These are service reps you were talking to, not an actual work techs. They rarely if ever have any repair backround to their backround experience. If the dealership did hire service techs with ASE type certification as service reps, the salerys would be more, and that would trikle down to you. We gripe enough with the hourly charges. Dealerships are really not in the market to to offer this type of service unless you are buying their OEM or performance parts, such as Fords line of performance parts. It's like taking some raw eggs and bread into a restaurant and asking them for a price to cook you breakfast.

I would not call them a stealership because of this. They did not take your money; they tried to help by obtaining a person that attemted to figure out what you wanted.

IMO, A muffler shop would have been more appropriate and cheaper for this type of request.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:37 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
If they can't plug a computer to plug in and tell them what is wrong or step,by step instructions there stuck on a computed loop can't reach out of think of it as a huge whirl pool of computed morons
Thomas11CS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Anybody can bolt them in, but to set them up correctly is far from easy. It's easy in the sense that you can learn it, but you better have someone showing you that knows his chit.
No worries this shop is very well known and tunes and builds 1200hp cars on the regular, they have a dyno in house as well so i trust them
kornflake7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I was able to talk Merchants Tire into putting my Roush Axle Backs on for $30 out the door.
Mod List: H&R Super Sport Springs, Eibach Camber Bolts, Steeda Panhard Bar, BBK Cold Air Intake, Stack Racing Chrome Strut Tower Bar, Boss 302 Coil Pack Covers, Barton Shifter, Barton 2 Post Bracket, 4.10 Gear, 2013 Track Pack Wheels, QA1 Single Adjustable Rear Shocks, Roush Axle-back exhaust, CDC Chin Spoiler, Saleen Grille,
Defiant 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I had a hard time to I got long tube headers an off road pipe an they didn't want to do it because of the cats oh well. Got it done lol
Old 04-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Lol why are you surprised. I worked for a stealer ship for 2 years surprised I lasted that long. Everyone had their heads up their arses except for 2 or 3 people...glad I got out!
2016 Gt/Cs autowith 3:55', mbrp cat back and a n/a build on the way!...
blackbeast12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickmarlow View Post
I had a hard time to I got long tube headers an off road pipe an they didn't want to do it because of the cats oh well. Got it done lol
well that doesn't really surprise me...all they see is a possible lawsuit if you get caught or a huge fine. While there are shops that will do it, I don't think you have the right to ever get mad at a shop for following the "law" even if it is stupid and outdated.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT