Difficulty shifting into 3rd - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Difficulty shifting into 3rd

If I am accelerating quickly, sometimes the car doesn't want to do a hard shift into 3rd gear. It's almost like the shifter gets blocked. It's the only gear that does this to me. This isn't my first manual Mustang, but I never had problems with my older one. Could it be because the car is so new, the gear box needs to loosen up a bit? I'm worried this is gonna screw me at the track. I can do a smooth shift into 3rd every time under normal acceleration, but if I'm racing through the gears, I get this jam in 3rd almost every time. Any ideas?
Davey13GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Yea that's normal, the factory shifter bracket is garbage and under high rpm it's pretty likely you can miss gears. If u do a search on MT82 transmissions u will find a long list off ppls experience with these transmissions with solutions. Google will be your best friend in this particular situation, u will have hours of reading material so get comfortable
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Welcome to the wonderful world of the mt82 transmission and its sorry excuse for a shifter. This is a very common problem with the stock assembly. It's due to the crappy remote linkage and bracket. But your problems can be solved with 3 letters...

MGW

End of story. Pull the trigger, you will not regret it. And this will all be a thing of the past. Good luck!
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of the mt82 transmission and its sorry excuse for a shifter. This is a very common problem with the stock assembly. It's due to the crappy remote linkage and bracket. But your problems can be solved with 3 letters...

MGW

End of story. Pull the trigger, you will not regret it. And this will all be a thing of the past. Good luck!
I concur.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1015429886.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	443.0 KB
ID:	103064
MGW SHORT SHIFTER
CDC CHIN SPOILER W/ BLACK BILLET GRILLS
BLACK JLT OIL SEPARATOR
ThinBlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Yup, MGW is completely worth it. Or at the very least get the Barton 2 post shift bracket. I've had both, I'd pay the money for the MGW all over again

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I don't have your same car or transmission but i do have an MGW, its an amazing shifter. Get it and don't look back.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
MGW for the motherflippin win!!!

But I don't have one lol
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I agree with the MGW from what ive read being that I dont have the MGW i cannot speak from experience. I am still using the stock shifter and bracket (only have 650 miles on my mustang) and although i maybe really got on it 4 or 5 times i find that if you kind of guide it into 3rd it helps. I go from 1 to 2 going straight down no problem then 2nd to 3rd i kind of go in at a slight angle kind of like 4 to 5 and find that helps a bit. I never found myself in 5th instead of 3rd and this method seems to be working at least till i go with the MGW. Try it out.
l l 6 Spd l Prem Pkg l Nav l TP l LthrRecaros l AmericanRacing 1 7/8 LTs l O/R H l JLT CF CAI lVMP Tuned l BorlaS Quads w/ResDel. l GT500Valance l KoniStr.T l K-Springs l GT500 Mounts l BMR UCA&LCA l BMR Relos l BMR Panhard l SpeedDawg Knob l 5.0 LloydsMats l Redline HoodStrts l Bobs CF Oil Sep. l 15% Tint l CDC Grille l StrtScn2 ChinSpoiler l GT/CS Fogs w/4500k l RTR DeckLid l CF Engine/CoilCoversl
Joey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Another vote for the MGW I was having the same issues I installed the MGW 3 months ago and haven't missed third since.
BlackBetty5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:46 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I went with barton. Havent missed a shift since. Heres why this problem arises. The gum rubber bushing is held in by zip ties. And the housing is made of crappy thin metal that doesnt give any solidity. The rubber just keeps moving around which mis aligns 3rd gear

shifter bracket (stock vs aftermarket)
BUSHGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

You've got to be kidding me right? A $35-37,000 performance car, the bushing looks like that? Now I'm not happy.
Davey13GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #12
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

I think ford had comfort in mind a little too much when they designed this car. If you're not a hard core enthusiast then this car is great because from the factory it's pretty quiet and comfortable, but once you start to push it you really begin to see some of its performance oriented flaws

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey13GT
You've got to be kidding me right? A $35-37,000 performance car, the bushing looks like that? Now I'm not happy.
Energy Suspension sells a poly bushing for $13.99, thats supposed to solve the issue. That POS is fine when driven like a normal car. But I see your point, who drives a 420hp car normal.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Not trying to thread jack, so I apologize in advance. I too am having occasional troubles with shifting into third. However, when I'm in 2nd, I'll go to shift out of 2nd and it won't let me. It locks into 2nd gear. I will then try again a half a beat later (clutch still engaged) and it shifts smooth as silk. It seems to happen most after a bit of spirited driving. I took it to the dealer yesterday and we couldn't recreate it. It only happens sometimes.

I could really use some help because I'm less than 10k miles until my warranty expires.
Mod List: H&R Super Sport Springs, Eibach Camber Bolts, Steeda Panhard Bar, BBK Cold Air Intake, Stack Racing Chrome Strut Tower Bar, Boss 302 Coil Pack Covers, Barton Shifter, Barton 2 Post Bracket, 4.10 Gear, 2013 Track Pack Wheels, QA1 Single Adjustable Rear Shocks, Roush Axle-back exhaust, CDC Chin Spoiler, Saleen Grille,
Defiant 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
Yea that's normal, the MT82 is garbage and under high rpm it's pretty likely you can miss gears.
Fixed that for ya.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Fixed that for ya.
Nice job
Old 04-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHGUTS View Post
I went with barton. Havent missed a shift since. Heres why this problem arises. The gum rubber bushing is held in by zip ties. And the housing is made of crappy thin metal that doesnt give any solidity. The rubber just keeps moving around which mis aligns 3rd gear

shifter bracket (stock vs aftermarket)
I think the rubber shrinks when it's cold and you get a lot of deflection, whereas I seem to have less issues when it's hot outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant 5.0 View Post
Not trying to thread jack, so I apologize in advance. I too am having occasional troubles with shifting into third. However, when I'm in 2nd, I'll go to shift out of 2nd and it won't let me. It locks into 2nd gear. I will then try again a half a beat later (clutch still engaged) and it shifts smooth as silk. It seems to happen most after a bit of spirited driving. I took it to the dealer yesterday and we couldn't recreate it. It only happens sometimes.

I could really use some help because I'm less than 10k miles until my warranty expires.
When you say it won't let you, do you mean that the clutch pedal gets really difficult to push in? Because occasionally I have that problem.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post

When you say it won't let you, do you mean that the clutch pedal gets really difficult to push in? Because occasionally I have that problem.
The clutch pedal seems to work fine, the shifter just won't move out of 2nd. But it always goes on the second try every time.
Mod List: H&R Super Sport Springs, Eibach Camber Bolts, Steeda Panhard Bar, BBK Cold Air Intake, Stack Racing Chrome Strut Tower Bar, Boss 302 Coil Pack Covers, Barton Shifter, Barton 2 Post Bracket, 4.10 Gear, 2013 Track Pack Wheels, QA1 Single Adjustable Rear Shocks, Roush Axle-back exhaust, CDC Chin Spoiler, Saleen Grille,
Old 04-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Get the MGW & never look back.
graystone2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I just put the Barton in this morning. I love it! I got a great deal on it.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Steeda bracket and a traditional ball knob do wonders for the stock shifter.

However, you need to rethink shifting on this thing. It's not a toploader. Guide the shifts in positively but, with minimal force and it works pretty well.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
I think the rubber shrinks when it's cold and you get a lot of deflection, whereas I seem to have less issues when it's hot outside.

Problem is that this bracket is completely exposed to the outside elements. Hot cold snow rain salt etc. it will dryrot in no time and then you will have serious problems.
BUSHGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Once I installe the MGW an broke it in, the 1-2-3 shifts were so much easier and smoother. Still can't seem to get 4th to go in easy though, still locks me out sometimes.

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

Quote:

Same thing about the clutch to. Sometimes it gets sucked in and feels really weird. Does anyone know a fix for this?
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #24
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride View Post
Once I installe the MGW an broke it in, the 1-2-3 shifts were so much easier and smoother. Still can't seem to get 4th to go in easy though, still locks me out sometimes.

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

Same thing about the clutch to. Sometimes it gets sucked in and feels really weird. Does anyone know a fix for this?
Joyride, what year is your mustang?

Also with the 4th gear lockout that sounds more like bad synchros than anything

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 04-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

Gonna say, that's the first review I've ever heard anything bad about.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #26
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

Gonna say, that's the first review I've ever heard anything bad about.
Same, I never hear anything bad about them

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey13GT View Post
Yep, we all got got! I swapped mine out a few months ago with MGW and I love it.
Srohda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post

2013, it feels like it doesn't want me going in at certain rpms.
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Do any of you guys have the clutch stick down after a high rpm shift? It seems like every once in a wile When I take it to redline and shift real fast the clutch sticks like past midway to the floor. Should I be worried about this?
Old 04-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013mustang5.0 View Post
Do any of you guys have the clutch stick down after a high rpm shift? It seems like every once in a wile When I take it to redline and shift real fast the clutch sticks like past midway to the floor. Should I be worried about this?
I would be. Take it to Ford and tell them it's sticking. They'll probably give you a new clutch. There's a whole stickied thread about it over at SVTPerformance.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Sounds like this is pretty common had the same problem
Bakiebruno5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT