Question on Koni Str.t install - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post

Thanks man! Those MM plates worked great, thanks again for the advice. Definitely a great quality part. And making caster/camber adjustments are a breeze. We got the camber almost dead on, but i still want to go get a professional alignment done. Should i go asap, or wait about a week for the springs to settle?
I waited a week myself yo play it safe. Most people said a few days but I didn't have that option with my job. Really just a day or two of driving her.
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

I waited a week myself yo play it safe. Most people said a few days but I didn't have that option with my job. Really just a day or two of driving her.
Good deal. I'll probably just go ahead and get it done on my next day off.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #38
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
How does the ride feel?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
How does the ride feel?
Pretty good. About what i expected honestly. Definitely a lot firmer, but not harsh at all. Cornering feels 10x better though. Haven't done anything crazy, but gave it a little extra gas going around turns and overpasses on the way to work this morning haha.
One thing i did notice today though, it seems at low speeds only, like driving threw my neighborhood or work parking lot, i get a weird, but faint clunk when the suspension articulates. Does not do it when turning, only when wheel is straight. Im thinking maybe the sway bar end links are not tight enough? Any other suggestions on what it could be? Car only has 2k miles on it, so i seriously doubt its a ball joint or anything like that.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 04-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #40
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

I don't have any clunks and the main difference between what you have and what I have are the CC plates. Does it sound like its coming from the front or the rear? Only over bumps or other times too?

On ride quality and feel, I believe the konis make the car feel EXACTLY as it should have from the factory

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't have any clunks and the main difference between what you have and what I have are the CC plates. Does it sound like its coming from the front or the rear? Only over bumps or other times too?

On ride quality and feel, I believe the konis make the car feel EXACTLY as it should have from the factory
I agree 100%. The ride definitely feels the way it should in a Mustang. As far as the sound, it only happens when going over bumps, or dips in the road. No noises at all during turning, or breaking. Im thinking maybe either the strut nut is not tight enough, or the sway bar end links. Is there are way to tell if the strut nut is tight enough?
Old 04-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #42
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

They really don't need too be all that tight. Can you tell if it happens during compression or extension of the dampers? (I.e. is it happening as you're hitting the bump or just after?)

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Seems that it's happening as i hit the bump. When the suspension is actually articulating. It's faint, but noticeable, at low rpms when i can hear over the exhaust haha. Like i said, only seems to happen at low speeds, Although that may be because i cant hear it over the road noise at highway speed.
Also seems to occur during compression, and decompression of the strut
Old 04-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #44
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

I would ensure everything is tight, sounds like something may be loose. Double check and make sure springs are on struts correctly too

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would ensure everything is tight, sounds like something may be loose. Double check and make sure springs are on struts correctly too
Springs are def on the struts correctly, but i will pull the wheels off and double check all the bolts when I get home this afternoon
Old 04-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #46
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Good idea, and if everything seems good I would have a shops double check when you get the alignment done

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Good idea, and if everything seems good I would have a shops double check when you get the alignment done
Will do, thanks for the help. Ill be going this week whenever my day off is to have it done. Also did you shave off anything from the rear bump stop? It doesnt seem to be hitting, but does get pretty close when i had my buddy pushing the trunk down.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #48
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

No but I only lowered 1" so I don't have issues with it

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #49
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

No but I only lowered 1" so I don't have issues with it

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

I'll just keep an eye on it to make sure its not rubbing.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #51
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

Will do, thanks for the help. Ill be going this week whenever my day off is to have it done. Also did you shave off anything from the rear bump stop? It doesnt seem to be hitting, but does get pretty close when i had my buddy pushing the trunk down.
It's pretty likely you have progressive rate springs, basically that means the farther they compress the more resistance they have to compression, so the closer you get to the bump stops the harder it gets for them to get closer to the bump stops. I'm not sure if its a linear or parabolic resistance increase though.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 04-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It's pretty likely you have progressive rate springs, basically that means the farther they compress the more resistance they have to compression, so the closer you get to the bump stops the harder it gets for them to get closer to the bump stops. I'm not sure if its a linear or parabolic resistance increase though.
Could be worse. My car was sitting on the back bump stops crushing them while parked haha.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

I'm pretty sure someone else had this exact same issue and it turned out one of the end links wasn't fully tightened.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:07 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
I'm pretty sure someone else had this exact same issue and it turned out one of the end links wasn't fully tightened.
Thats what im thinking as well. Heard they were kind of a pain to get tightened back up. I will pull the wheels and take a look as soon as i get the chance.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thats what im thinking as well. Heard they were kind of a pain to get tightened back up. I will pull the wheels and take a look as soon as i get the chance.
They are ... seeing as the only way I've figured out how to do is is to hold a socket with one hand and hold a 17mm wrench with the other. It gets to a point where it just spins and that's why you need the wrench - to hold the "nut" on the other side stationary.

It's a ****ing idiotic design IMO.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

They are ... seeing as the only way I've figured out how to do is is to hold a socket with one hand and hold a 17mm wrench with the other. It gets to a point where it just spins and that's why you need the wrench - to hold the "nut" on the other side stationary.

It's a ****ing idiotic design IMO.
Saw that when i was doing the install, and was also wondering why the hell they would use such a stupid design
Old 04-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Unfortunately im not going to have any time to look at anything until my day off on Friday. Going to have my alignment done, so ill have the guys there double check it for me. If it still makes a little noise on the way home, ill pull the tires off myself and take another look. Hopefully it doesnt get anu worse in the meantime
Old 04-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

I would double check the bolts that hold the strut to the spindle as well. These have a nasty habit of not staying tight after being taken off. You're supposed to replace them every time, but you can get away with using blue Loctite. If they come loose you're in for a bad day - the vibrations will cause the ear on the spindle to snap ...

This bolt has been revised twice during S197 production. The first time was to make the threads more fine to increase torque, the second time made the threads even more fine and added splines on the section that sits inside the spindle.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would double check the bolts that hold the strut to the spindle as well. These have a nasty habit of not staying tight after being taken off. You're supposed to replace them every time, but you can get away with using blue Loctite. If they come loose you're in for a bad day - the vibrations will cause the ear on the spindle to snap ...

This bolt has been revised twice during S197 production. The first time was to make the threads more fine to increase torque, the second time made the threads even more fine and added splines on the section that sits inside the spindle.
Good to know, we did resuse the originals so ill make sure i hit them with some loctite.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Good to know, we did resuse the originals so ill make sure i hit them with some loctite.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:07 PM   #61
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Do I really need to take the bump stops and dust covers off of my front struts and throw them on my konis/ksprings? I have no other reason to take the oem assemblies apart other than this. I always see coilovers without covers, so I figured I would ask about both.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT