Question on Koni Str.t install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Question on Koni Str.t install

Going to be installing my steeda ultralite springs, koni str.t shocks/struts, and j&m camber plates this Sunday and had a few questions about the install.

First question is can i resuse the dust cover from the front dampeners? The new konis came with new ones in the rear, but not the front. Or are they not needed at all?

Second, is there anything else i need to transfer from the stock setup besides the rubber piece that goes on the spring?

And lastly, I got a nut for the top of the strut from Koni, and also one with my j&m camber plates. Which one should i use?

Anything else im forgetting please chime in. Sorry for the noobness, but i am a bit inexperienced when it comes to working on the suspension.

Ive searched everywhere for a good install guide, but the only ones i can find are all for individual parts, and not for doing everything at once. If anybody knows of a good walk through I would love to see it! Thanks in advance for the help!
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Ford Racing Lowering Springs Install - LatemodelRestoration.com Blog

Only note is since you're putting in a whole new spring/shock/strut and CC plate assembly you don't need to remove the strut nut when you're removing the old parts. Unless you want to remove the springs from the struts for your own reasons.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Ford Racing Lowering Springs Install - LatemodelRestoration.com Blog

Only note is since you're putting in a whole new spring/shock/strut and CC plate assembly you don't need to remove the strut nut when you're removing the old parts. Unless you want to remove the springs from the struts for your own reasons.
Thanks for the help! Unfortunately im going to have to take apart the spring/strut in order to get the stock dust cover and rubber piece for the spring off.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Use the nut from Koni and also you will want the dust cover and the jounce bumpers off the old strut and maybe the old spring mount? I know the MM CC plates reuse these no idea with the J&M.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
Use the nut from Koni and also you will want the dust cover and the jounce bumpers off the old strut and maybe the old spring mount? I know the MM CC plates reuse these no idea with the J&M.
Awesome thanks!
Old 04-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
The very first question I have is which version did you buy? If you bought the dampers made for the 11+ then you have to reuse the strut mounts, if you got the 05-10 then you cannot reuse the stock dampers

This is a very important question to be able to answer before you start the install

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
The very first question I have is which version did you buy? If you bought the dampers made for the 11+ then you have to reuse the strut mounts, if you got the 05-10 then you cannot reuse the stock dampers

This is a very important question to be able to answer before you start the install
I got the 05-10s, as well as the 05-10 j&m camber plate, which from my understanding will eliminate the need to reuse the stock, or gt500 strut mounts. Correct?
Old 04-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Ah crap I misread that, I saw reuse dust covers and for some stupid reason read it as reuse strut mounts

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Ah crap I misread that, I saw reuse dust covers and for some stupid reason read it as reuse strut mounts
Lol scared me for a sec. So im good to go then right? And i can just reuse the stock dust covers?
Old 04-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ill just need to reuse the stock spring isolators with the new camber plates correct? Is the 11+ isolator the same as the 05-10? Sorry for all the questions, just wanna make sure im 100% ready to go as this is my daily driver, and need the car for work monday morning lol.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
Lol scared me for a sec. So im good to go then right? And i can just reuse the stock dust covers?
actually I just looked at the install instructions. You are not actually. They are the same as the MM CC plates you have to use the stock spring isolator from the stock struts. Since you have the 05-10 J&M plates you HAVE to use the 05-10 strut spring isolators.

I ran into the same thing when I went to buy the MM CC plates and the 11-14 year ones were out of stock, I looked at buying the 05-10 year ones and using them. Couldn't find anywhere online that sold just the isolators by themselves. YOu had to buy the entire stock strut packages, strut spring everything as one unit put together.

Honestly it will be cheaper to return the J&M and get the MM CC plates for the 11-14 so you can reuse the stock isolator on the car.

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Ill just need to reuse the stock spring isolators with the new camber plates correct? Is the 11+ isolator the same as the 05-10? Sorry for all the questions, just wanna make sure im 100% ready to go as this is my daily driver, and need the car for work monday morning lol.
yes see above.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

actually I just looked at the install instructions. You are not actually. They are the same as the MM CC plates you have to use the stock spring isolator from the stock struts. Since you have the 05-10 J&M plates you HAVE to use the 05-10 strut spring isolators.

I ran into the same thing when I went to buy the MM CC plates and the 11-14 year ones were out of stock, I looked at buying the 05-10 year ones and using them. Couldn't find anywhere online that sold just the isolators by themselves. YOu had to buy the entire stock strut packages, strut spring everything as one unit put together.

Honestly it will be cheaper to return the J&M and get the MM CC plates for the 11-14 so you can reuse the stock isolator on the car.

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

yes see above.
But I cant run the 11+ mount with the 05-10 struts... And you're 100% positive that the 11+ isolator is different then the 05-10? Ive talked to AM several times and they said i wouldn't need anything else. Ill try calling J&M tomorrow they are closed for the night now
Old 04-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

And if i only need the isolators can i just go up to my local dealer and get a set of 05-10 strut mounts? I would return them, but really want to get the install done this weekend, as my buddy took off work to help me, and i won't have time again for weeks. Im really kind of ticked off, i specifically asked the reps at American muscle SEVERAL times if anything else was required. And they all told me i had everything I needed. Now its friday, so obviously i won't be able to have anything here before the weekend
Old 04-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
But I cant run the 11+ mount with the 05-10 struts... And you're 100% positive that the 11+ isolator is different then the 05-10? Ive talked to AM several times and they said i wouldn't need anything else. Ill try calling J&M tomorrow they are closed for the night now
ok...so I have 05-10 Koni STR.T and I promise you, regardless of if you like the info, that I am right.

The isolators are very different. You definitely CAN run the 11-14 MM CC plates on 05-10 shocks and struts. That combo is on my car...right now.

I am not sure why AM told you this, but they are wrong. The J&M won't mount to the 11-14 spring isolators. I looked at them rather quickly and they looked kinda like the GT500 mounts that don't use the spring isolators that are built into the unit. I pulled up the install for the J&M and this is not the case and looking at the bottom they will not mount.

Straight off Maximum Motorsports website

Quote:
Notes for 2011+ Mustangs
MM camber plates designed for the 2011+ Mustang are now available: Mm5CC-6.
The Mm5CC-1 camber plates will fit the 2011 chassis, but do not fit the 2011 struts or 2011 springs.
Struts designed for the 2005-2010 Mustang may be fitted to the 2011 chassis when installed along with the Mm5CC-6 camber plates and 2011 springs.
Springs designed for the 2005-2010 Mustang may be fitted to the 2011 chassis when installed along with the Mm5CC-1 camber plates and the upper spring isolator from a 2005-2010 stock upper strut mount and 2005-2010 struts.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
I have no clue but I'm jus gonna grow in here that nosympathy is one of the most intelligent mustang guys I've met on here. I'm just gonna say he's probably right in his info.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

Throw not grow sorry. Stupid autocorrect.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

ok...so I have 05-10 Koni STR.T and I promise you, regardless of if you like the info, that I am right.

The isolators are very different. You definitely CAN run the 11-14 MM CC plates on 05-10 shocks and struts. That combo is on my car...right now.

I am not sure why AM told you this, but they are wrong. The J&M won't mount to the 11-14 spring isolators. I looked at them rather quickly and they looked kinda like the GT500 mounts that don't use the spring isolators that are built into the unit. I pulled up the install for the J&M and this is not the case and looking at the bottom they will not mount.

Straight off Maximum Motorsports website
Thanks man, I appreciate it. It sucks to hear, but glad i found out now. Really ticked off at American muscle right now, as i stated above i literally talked to 3-4 people over the past couple weeks to double check everything. Got the same response every single time. Gonna see if maybe they can overnight me the correct parts. Hopefully Shane can help me out. I appreciate the help brother.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Hate to keep bothering you, but what is the correct part # for the MM plates i need? And that will be all i need to buy to use the 05-10 konis AND the stock 11+ isolator correct?
Old 04-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks man, I appreciate it. It sucks to hear, but glad i found out now. Really ticked off at American muscle right now, as i stated above i literally talked to 3-4 people over the past couple weeks to double check everything. Got the same response every single time. Gonna see if maybe they can overnight me the correct parts. Hopefully Shane can help me out. I appreciate the help brother.
Yeah sorry if I seemed annoyed, I wasn't. I really hate giving you the bad news. Did you ask on here if they would work? I also am surprised with how much the AM guys know they got it wrong.

http://1.cdn.lib.americanmuscle.com/...09-install.pdf

If you look at the install guide, look at step 10, that is the isolator off an 05-10 strut.

and then here is a 2011-2014 isolator.

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Hate to keep bothering you, but what is the correct part # for the MM plates i need? And that will be all i need to buy to use the 05-10 konis AND the stock 11+ isolator correct?
No no ask away. Like I said minus the springs you are talking the same setup as me and I have first hand experience with it.

Maximum Motorsports Mustang Caster/Camber Plates (11-14) MM5CC-6 - Free Shipping!

those are the exact ones I purchased. They come with spacers, if you look in the install guide that comes with them or is on Maximum Motorsports website, they tell you exactly how to place them for an 05-10 strut. They literally mount to the bearing plate on the 11-14 isolator and fit like a charm.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Also if American muscle cant help me, would i be ok just going up to ford/napa/car quest wherever the heck i can find them tomorrow and just buy a set of 05-10 strut mounts since its only the isolators i need? I know the MM plates would be the better option, but really wanna get it done this weekend, as my buddy took off work to help.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Also if American muscle cant help me, would i be ok just going up to ford/napa/car quest wherever the heck i can find them tomorrow and just buy a set of 05-10 strut mounts since its only the isolators i need? I know the MM plates would be the better option, but really wanna get it done this weekend, as my buddy took off work to help.
you can try, I didn't actually stop by a dealership and see if what I was told was true, but my understanding is they sell the strut, jounce bumpers, springs, isolator and strut mount as one entire assembled unit.

I also tried napa/advance auto, etc. and they didn't carry it.

BUT you can try and if you do find them, then yes. You just need the 05-10 isolator to use 05-10 strut mounts, minus the GT500 that doesn't use isolators.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

you can try, I didn't actually stop by a dealership and see if what I was told was true, but my understanding is they sell the strut, jounce bumpers, springs, isolator and strut mount as one entire assembled unit.

I also tried napa/advance auto, etc. and they didn't carry it.

BUT you can try and if you do find them, then yes. You just need the 05-10 isolator to use 05-10 strut mounts, minus the GT500 that doesn't use isolators.
You are a saint man, thanks again. Nice to finally have a REAL answer. I really would have been pissed if I found out on Sunday lol. Hopefully AMs customer service will step up, and take care of their screw up, as i have spent over $3k there in the past month lol
Old 04-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You are a saint man, thanks again. Nice to finally have a REAL answer. I really would have been pissed if I found out on Sunday lol. Hopefully AMs customer service will step up, and take care of their screw up, as i have spent over $3k there in the past month lol
I am sorry to hear about the bad luck and yeah I can understand how you would be pissed on sunday haha. Those stock springs are so long uncompressed that my spring compressors unscrewed all the way still didn't release the tension on them. Putting that back together would be a PITA. I'll be honest it didn't cross my mind as I never looked at the J&M because I was set on the MM plates, but I was under the same thinking as you were, that 05-10 struts needed 05-10 plates and almost just pulled the trigger. Thankfully I decided to look around more first.

I feel your pain, when I went to order the MM CC plates they were backordered and it was nearly a month before they were in my hands. Had everything else sitting in the house waiting.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I am sorry to hear about the bad luck and yeah I can understand how you would be pissed on sunday haha. Those stock springs are so long uncompressed that my spring compressors unscrewed all the way still didn't release the tension on them. Putting that back together would be a PITA. I'll be honest it didn't cross my mind as I never looked at the J&M because I was set on the MM plates, but I was under the same thinking as you were, that 05-10 struts needed 05-10 plates and almost just pulled the trigger. Thankfully I decided to look around more first.

I feel your pain, when I went to order the MM CC plates they were backordered and it was nearly a month before they were in my hands. Had everything else sitting in the house waiting.
Yeah it sucks, but what can you do haha. Again, im so thankful you informed of all this now. I know AM has a reputation for their steller customer service, so hopefully they take care of me. Ill be giving them a call first thing in the morning.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah it sucks, but what can you do haha. Again, im so thankful you informed of all this now. I know AM has a reputation for their steller customer service, so hopefully they take care of me. Ill be giving them a call first thing in the morning.
yeah no problem man. If you had posted on here before asking I apologize I didn't tell you then, must have missed it. Yes, I don't want to say what happened as they took excellent care of me, but needless to say every time i've had something come up they find a good way to remedy it. In a year and a half of purchasing from them i've had maybe 3 issues total and two were very minor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-04-18 at 10.33.02 PM.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	423.9 KB
ID:	103216  
Old 04-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

yeah no problem man. If you had posted on here before asking I apologize I didn't tell you then, must have missed it. Yes, I don't want to say what happened as they took excellent care of me, but needless to say every time i've had something come up they find a good way to remedy it. In a year and a half of purchasing from them i've had maybe 3 issues total and two were very minor.
Well if they cant, i found these at a local NAPA store, but im confused will this come with the isolators?
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3382563

Hopefully i wont get in trouble as they are a non sponsor, but need to get this resolved lol! Mods have mercy!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well if they cant, i found these at a local NAPA store, but im confused will this come with the isolators?
More Information for MONROE 905915

Hopefully i wont get in trouble as they are a non sponsor, but need to get this resolved lol! Mods have mercy!
well from that picture it doesn't look like it, but hey, stop by a NAPA store and see as sometimes posted pictures are deceiving. Might be worth the money too you too have them right away.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

well from that picture it doesn't look like it, but hey, stop by a NAPA store and see as sometimes posted pictures are deceiving. Might be worth the money too you too have them right away.
I would love to end up with the MM plate bit hopefully i can use these as a last resort. Fingers crossed AM can get it taken care of. Thanks again for the help man, ill let ya know what happens tomorrow after I talk to AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Well good news, called AM this morning and they took great care of me. They are going to cover the cost of the return shipping for the j&m plates, as well as pay for overnight Saturday delivery to get me the MM plates tomorrow. Not to mention they were on sale! Thanks again for all the help!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well good news, called AM this morning and they took great care of me. They are going to cover the cost of the return shipping for the j&m plates, as well as pay for overnight Saturday delivery to get me the MM plates tomorrow. Not to mention they were on sale! Thanks again for all the help!
Glad to hear it!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Glad to hear it!
No kidding lol. Thanks again for all the help. Ill post some pics up after the install. Hopefully we dont run into any other problems along the way lol. Did you reuse your stock dust covers and jounce bumpers??
Old 04-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No kidding lol. Thanks again for all the help. Ill post some pics up after the install. Hopefully we dont run into any other problems along the way lol. Did you reuse your stock dust covers and jounce bumpers??
no problem man. sounds good! Yes I did for both, in my case I had to cut the jounce bumpers down...a lot. both front and back are about a 1/4" tall for me. I also dropped a lot more than you are about too haha.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

no problem man. sounds good! Yes I did for both, in my case I had to cut the jounce bumpers down...a lot. both front and back are about a 1/4" tall for me. I also dropped a lot more than you are about too haha.
Perfect!
Old 04-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

All done! Car turned out great! Not a hard job at all, especially with air tools. A buddy and I finished everything (springs, shocks, struts, MM plates, and panhard bar) in just under 4 hrs. Here is a quick pic. More to come after i get the layer of dust and pollen of her. Thanks again to everyone for the help!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130421_191943.png
Views:	1590
Size:	533.3 KB
ID:	103607
Old 04-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
All done! Car turned out great! Not a hard job at all, especially with air tools. A buddy and I finished everything (springs, shocks, struts, MM plates, and panhard bar) in just under 4 hrs. Here is a quick pic. More to come after i get the layer of dust and pollen of her. Thanks again to everyone for the help!
Looks good man!
Old 04-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Looks good man!
Thanks man! Those MM plates worked great, thanks again for the advice. Definitely a great quality part. And making caster/camber adjustments are a breeze. We got the camber almost dead on, but i still want to go get a professional alignment done. Should i go asap, or wait about a week for the springs to settle?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT