concerning breathers kit on my stang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
concerning breathers kit on my stang

So, I admit, I am kinda confused. I opted for the breathers kit on my stang, and it was easy to install in 5 mins and looks great, but I'll admit I am confused. Everyone says the passenger side produces more oil than the drivers side. That the passenger side is most important.

Well, I looked at them today, maybe 600 miles since I put them on, and the drivers side is a good yellow oil color and the passenger side is still white. Both sides have a small oil smell, but the driver side is far stronger.

soo...since this isn't close to the norm, should I be worried at all?
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Hmm that's odd, the passenger side is known to be a much higher pressure side than the drivers. Hopefully someone can chime in with an answer

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Hmm that's odd, the passenger side is known to be a much higher pressure side than the drivers. Hopefully someone can chime in with an answer
yeah that is why I am concerned. I don't know enough about that system to know if it is an issue.
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
So, I admit, I am kinda confused. I opted for the breathers kit on my stang, and it was easy to install in 5 mins and looks great, but I'll admit I am confused. Everyone says the passenger side produces more oil than the drivers side. That the passenger side is most important.

Well, I looked at them today, maybe 600 miles since I put them on, and the drivers side is a good yellow oil color and the passenger side is still white. Both sides have a small oil smell, but the driver side is far stronger.

soo...since this isn't close to the norm, should I be worried at all?
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

thanks for the input man
Old 04-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I don't know if these means anything, but on my lightning I was pulling the supercharger for it to be coated with oil about 10k miles after it had been cleaned. I know that because it was forced induction there is more blow by, but after installing a oil separator on the passenger side I thought it would be over with, but boy was I wrong. It would collect oil, but after a few oil changes and track visits the supercharger/intake was all black with oil again. I retrofitted jlt catch cans on both sides of the motor now and presto clean supercharger. The driver side fills up just as quickly if not faster than the passenger. Now that is a blown 5.4 and not a 5.0, but that's all I got
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
I don't know if these means anything, but on my lightning I was pulling the supercharger for it to be coated with oil about 10k miles after it had been cleaned. I know that because it was forced induction there is more blow by, but after installing a oil separator on the passenger side I thought it would be over with, but boy was I wrong. It would collect oil, but after a few oil changes and track visits the supercharger/intake was all black with oil again. I retrofitted jlt catch cans on both sides of the motor now and presto clean supercharger. The driver side fills up just as quickly if not faster than the passenger. Now that is a blown 5.4 and not a 5.0, but that's all I got
haha thanks for the input man. I was following what I have read people saying on here for months that the passenger side has more pressure and produces more oil on the 5.0 engines. I mean the car runs fine far as I can tell, but then again it could have been doing this for a long while and I just never knew any better.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I have no experience on the matter, but there's probably a reason they sell both. I wouldn't worry unless it was effecting the plugs.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:25 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Nothing to worry about.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:04 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I too put these on around the same time as you and was thinking it was too easy. A little concerned. I just put them on and don't have to worry about anything?? Check anything??
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
There are two sides to the system, basically high and low pressure. The high pressure side is the pass side as that is powered by the engine vacuum. The low pressure, is hooked to intake side in front of the throttle plate so, basically facing atmo and a small amount of suction effect.

The amount of oil collected depends upon how you drive and its condition. If you putt around alot, the PCV system is quite active, as that's a safe time to consume these blow-by gases in combustion, because the engine load is low. The system is designed to work when vacuum is high, aka, low speed, crack throttle operation.

Pound it and the system essentially shuts down with the loss of engine vacuum on the high pressure side. The low pressure side continues operation comparatively, as the high speed airflow allows some continued ventilation. The effect is still very small though.

How much each side collects can vary, as I've said, based upon driving style, oil condition and engine design/condition. The main thing is that the catch can allows most of this vapourised oil to condense back into pure liquid form and be discarded. Unless there's A LOT of oil in the CCs, i.e, you're emptying a can every week, I'd say there isn't much to be concerned about.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

See below. Top picture is drivers side with obvious oil. Bottom picture is passenger side with no oil. It isn't that it is collecting a small amount. It is getting none. My driving habits after these went on and these pictures taken was 600 miles cruising highway miles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130421_115017.png
Views:	274
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	103549

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130421_115055.png
Views:	303
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	103550
Old 04-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Those have a life span, or can you clean and reuse? Looks better than hoses running everywhere.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Those have a life span, or can you clean and reuse? Looks better than hoses running everywhere.
Yeah just clean em and let them dry and put them back on. They are K&N air filters. Like CAI filters that you can clean and oil except these don't need to be oiled.

Also far cheaper than catch cans and it has been shown catch cans are not 100% effective.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
All it would take is one little spit of oil to soil the filter like that. It's not a very good gauge of whether your engine is blowing more on one side than the other.

Of course, with breathers, all "sides" of the engine are the same. The only time "sides" come into it is when you have a functioning PCV system.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
All it would take is one little spit of oil to soil the filter like that. It's not a very good gauge of whether your engine is blowing more on one side than the other.

Of course, with breathers, all "sides" of the engine are the same. The only time "sides" come into it is when you have a functioning PCV system.
Ahhh OK that makes sense. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Also look at the pcv valve you are attaching the filters to. The driver side is much shorter and completely open allowing more oil mist to the filter.
Jukens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #18
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Gotta love the knowledge that 5LHO has to give

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Agreed.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
+1 seriously! Looks like I'm done researching haha.
Please dear God, protect my sweet ride.

2013 California Specil GT "Tater"
jdemK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I love the look of the filters, I will have them soon
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukens View Post
Also look at the pcv valve you are attaching the filters to. The driver side is much shorter and completely open allowing more oil mist to the filter.
I could be wrong on this - but isn't there supposed to be a check valve on the pass side that could be removed?
Old 06-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post

I could be wrong on this - but isn't there supposed to be a check valve on the pass side that could be removed?
One of the two sides, forgive me still loopy from surgery, looked like it had an extra piece I could remove. I just never did/tried.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I've been considering these myself, but was wondering if things/questions like this would pop up, as it's kind of new on this engine still, or at least doesn't seem like many people are doing it. Very interested though, glad there's more knowledge coming out.
DeJoe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJoe8 View Post
I've been considering these myself, but was wondering if things/questions like this would pop up, as it's kind of new on this engine still, or at least doesn't seem like many people are doing it. Very interested though, glad there's more knowledge coming out.
Both sides get about the same amount of oil after cleaning now. Not sure what changed unless it was a minor adapting of the engine to the change. So everything seems to be perfectly normal!

I had something like 17-18K miles when I added the breathers and never used an oil catcher like the JLT prior to that. I am sure that didn't help me any.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I read your older threads on it nosympathy. It seems like a good mod, probably will do it soon, and even if they get dirty, you can just clean them. I guess it helps keep your engine healthy right?
DeJoe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJoe8 View Post
Yeah I read your older threads on it nosympathy. It seems like a good mod, probably will do it soon, and even if they get dirty, you can just clean them. I guess it helps keep your engine healthy right?
Going to keep your car from dumping oil into the intake manifold. I really don't know why I ignored it for so long. Probably because 240 dollars was a lot of money for something Ford didn't do themselves. So I always debated. I decided I should do something when I pulled my CAI intake tube off and saw the throttle body was stained with oil. That would be the drivers side hose causing that which I always heard wasn't as important.

My breathers are always stained a dark color after cleaning them. I am wondering if I buy an oil filter cleaning kit if the cleaner part will clean them white but isn't that big a deal.

I just pull them off when I get home at night once every few weeks and wash them in the utility sink(yeah killing nature blah blah blah.) And let them dry over night and put them back on.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Going to keep your car from dumping oil into the intake manifold. I really don't know why I ignored it for so long. Probably because 240 dollars was a lot of money for something Ford didn't do themselves. So I always debated. I decided I should do something when I pulled my CAI intake tube off and saw the throttle body was stained with oil. That would be the drivers side hose causing that which I always heard wasn't as important.

My breathers are always stained a dark color after cleaning them. I am wondering if I buy an oil filter cleaning kit if the cleaner part will clean them white but isn't that big a deal.

I just pull them off when I get home at night once every few weeks and wash them in the utility sink(yeah killing nature blah blah blah.) And let them dry over night and put them back on.
I actually cleaned mine with the k&n filter cleaning kit. Kit was only 11.99 at the local abc auto.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpost08 View Post

I actually cleaned mine with the k&n filter cleaning kit. Kit was only 11.99 at the local abc auto.
Yeah that was the kit I was thinking about getting. Do yours turn white again afterwords?
Old 06-06-2013, 01:54 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah that was the kit I was thinking about getting. Do yours turn white again afterwords?
It cleaned them pretty well. You could see the oil running out. But I don't remember if they went back white. I used the oil that came in the kit. And that turns the filters red

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT