Dealer ship - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Dealer ship

When you get your oil change at the dealer ship do they do data up dates at 20,000 miles or so ?
92mustang2.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
What do mean by data updates?
2016 Gt/Cs autowith 3:55', mbrp cat back and a n/a build on the way!...
blackbeast12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92mustang2.3 View Post
When you get your oil change at the dealer ship do they do data up dates at 20,000 miles or so ?
I also dont understand what you mean by "data updates". Are you talking about updating the Sync software? Or talking about a tune? If you're referring to Sync, im sure they probably can, but its easy to do at home. If you're referring to a tune, then no, the dealer will not do that at any milage.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Like hook it to your ob2 port and change any new up dates

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post

I also dont understand what you mean by "data updates". Are you talking about updating the Sync software? Or talking about a tune? If you're referring to Sync, im sure they probably can, but its easy to do at home. If you're referring to a tune, then no, the dealer will not do that at any milage.
Thanks for the info
92mustang2.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92mustang2.3 View Post
Like hook it to your ob2 port and change any new up dates
No. Not that I know of. Normally you need a programmer to do that, or a tune. A dealer will not mess with either one, as it will void your warranty. The dealer will hook a scanner up, but only to pull data, or check codes, but will not alter anything for you.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 04-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
If you show them a tsb that your car is due for an ecu flash update then yeah they have to do it. Otherwise no!
2016 Gt/Cs autowith 3:55', mbrp cat back and a n/a build on the way!...
blackbeast12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
No. Not that I know of. Normally you need a programmer to do that, or a tune. A dealer will not mess with either one, as it will void your warranty. The dealer will hook a scanner up, but only to pull data, or check codes, but will not alter anything for you.
they can flash your ecu and it won't void your warranty...
Old 04-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

they can flash your ecu and it won't void your warranty...
They can flash it, for things like TSBs, but they will not make any changes to the stock tune will they? What would be the purpose otherwise? Wouldn't changing the stock tune for "performance" void the warranty?
Old 04-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
A tune doesn't void a warranty with my dealer, hes a really cool guy and says we will work with you to do all we can for you the customer. Get to know your service manager just stop in and say how are you? He told me that there not much that will void a warranty.
Blu13stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They can flash it, for things like TSBs, but they will not make any changes to the stock tune will they? What would be the purpose otherwise? Wouldn't changing the stock tune for "performance" void the warranty?
well yeah they won't change it for performance, but they can still flash the ECU with any Ford provided TSB or reflash it stock, also they can do things with steering wheel controls and from what I remember gear changes etc.

they are not gonna make it run faster or anything...
Old 04-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu13stang View Post
A tune doesn't void a warranty with my dealer, hes a really cool guy and says we will work with you to do all we can for you the customer. Get to know your service manager just stop in and say how are you? He told me that there not much that will void a warranty.
Wow really??? Your lucky then! So your dealer wont void your warranty with, say, a BAMA tune??? Im jealous, my dealer told me anything along those lines would automatically void any kind of motor specific warranty work.

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

Quote:

well yeah they won't change it for performance, but they can still flash the ECU with any Ford provided TSB or reflash it stock, also they can do things with steering wheel controls and from what I remember gear changes etc.

they are not gonna make it run faster or anything...
Thats what I thought. If there was a loophole, I was dying to know lol. As i would love to get a nice tune/cai, with a new mid-pipe!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
this is partially false. The dealership may not care, but lets say your engine blows under warranty and should be covered by Ford, that requires Ford to foot the repairs for a 6K+ engine, they are going to check the ECU first and when they find your tuned you are out of luck.

Quote:
Wow really??? Your lucky then! So your dealer wont void your warranty with, say, a BAMA tune??? Im jealous, my dealer told me anything along those lines would automatically void any kind of motor specific warranty work.
my dealership doesn't care. They've done oil changes with my catless X pipe and not said a word. I wasn't talking about that though, I was talking about changes the dealership can flash to your ECU. Didn't realize we were talking about custom tunes as OP was asking about Ford provided updates on their ECU. Kinda like Windows getting updates from Microsoft he is talking about his mustang getting updates from Ford.

Woops thought you were responding to me, ignore the above
Old 04-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Haha no problem man, after the whole suspension thing, Ive already learned to take your advice lol.

And yeah i wish there was some way around the whole warranty/tune deal. I would love to run a catless x-pipe, and cai with a good tune to pick up a few more HPs, but having a new/reliable car, with a warranty was the main reason i bought the car...... Which im sure will all change once I get bored lol. Still enjoying the current mods to much to void it.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE="nosympathy;1620771"]

this is partially false. The dealership may not care, but lets say your engine blows under warranty and should be covered by Ford, that requires Ford to foot the repairs for a 6K+ engine, they are going to check the ECU first and when they find your tuned you are out of luck.

In the case of a blown engine your right, like I told the Service Manager though you basically have to be an idiot to blow the engine. Mistakes do happen , but I have tuned mine & I feel 95% safe that I'm not going to do anything to severely damage the engine.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Haha no problem man, after the whole suspension thing, Ive already learned to take your advice lol.

And yeah i wish there was some way around the whole warranty/tune deal. I would love to run a catless x-pipe, and cai with a good tune to pick up a few more HPs, but having a new/reliable car, with a warranty was the main reason i bought the car...... Which im sure will all change once I get bored lol. Still enjoying the current mods to much to void it.
Ask your dealer. Some are ok, some are not. I wouldn't risk it until the warranty expires.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

well most of us put 5-10K miles on the car before tuning. That feels like the safe point with the car and usually once past that you are fine. I tuned at 6K miles and haven't looked back since. Going to hit 20K miles if not slightly over by friday at the latest.

But, can't get mad at anyone for wanting to ride the entire warranty out.

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

[QUOTE=Blu13stang;1620795]
Quote:

In the case of a blown engine your right, like I told the Service Manager though you basically have to be an idiot to blow the engine. Mistakes do happen , but I have tuned mine & I feel 95% safe that I'm not going to do anything to severely damage the engine.
I don't disagree with you, but I point it out because this is a place to learn and posting things like that without really being clear is a good way to give people false information. Then that one person who tunes right away at 100 miles because there dealer says it was ok then has a bad engine problem/drive train problem is going to be really mad when Ford denys there claim.

Plus we have had a few people on here blow trannies and Ford denied there warranty. So it does happen. Plus i've seen the people come in here 100% set they can do whatever they want with the car and never worry about the warranty being voided. I mean what happens if you have to move 500 miles north for XYZ reason and your car has problem and that dealer says your SOL.

If you tune your car, never expect a repair to be covered, but be thankful when they are.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

well most of us put 5-10K miles on the car before tuning. That feels like the safe point with the car and usually once past that you are fine. I tuned at 6K miles and haven't looked back since. Going to hit 20K miles if not slightly over by friday at the latest.

But, can't get mad at anyone for wanting to ride the entire warranty out.

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------
Yeeaaahhhh. Probably will end up giving in by then. All depends on a few things with work/money. Right now I'm putting 130 miles on the car every day, traveling to and from work. But hopefully I'll be getting transfered somewhere closer within the next month or two, to which i can take the extra gas money and buy a beater to daily drive. If that happens let the REAL modding begin lol. We will see what happens. I did end up buying the extended warranty as well, but is refundable if i end up not using it.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeeaaahhhh. Probably will end up giving in by then. All depends on a few things with work/money. Right now I'm putting 130 miles on the car every day, traveling to and from work. But hopefully I'll be getting transfered somewhere closer within the next month or two, to which i can take the extra gas money and buy a beater to daily drive. If that happens let the REAL modding begin lol. We will see what happens. I did end up buying the extended warranty as well, but is refundable if i end up not using it.
yeah that is a lot of miles haha. I put about 60-70 a day 3-4 days a week on mine. Absolutely killing it. I was doing 10-15 a day previously.

Yeah I got the extended warranty too, thinking i'd keep the car stock....LOL to that. I need to see about getting that refunded.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

yeah that is a lot of miles haha. I put about 60-70 a day 3-4 days a week on mine. Absolutely killing it. I was doing 10-15 a day previously.

Yeah I got the extended warranty too, thinking i'd keep the car stock....LOL to that. I need to see about getting that refunded.
Yeah it sucks... Waiting on a nice promotion at work...im in retail management and am currently in the progress of turning a broken store around, to, in a way prove myself lol. Was told I'd be put into a bigger store closer to home soon. If thats the case, its balls to the wall with the mustang if i dont have to depend on it as a daily driver. Definitely check with your dealer man, i was told the extended warranty is pro-rated, so they should refund you for whatever you dont use.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah it sucks... Waiting on a nice promotion at work...im in retail management and am currently in the progress of turning a broken store around, to, in a way prove myself lol. Was told I'd be put into a bigger store closer to home soon. If thats the case, its balls to the wall with the mustang if i dont have to depend on it as a daily driver. Definitely check with your dealer man, i was told the extended warranty is pro-rated, so they should refund you for whatever you dont use.
well only have had the car 2 years, extended the warranty to 5, I just don't wanna go through the dealer and do it. They take care of me big time. They also love to ignore things with my car other dealerships might not do. Mostly because they all end up with huge grins when my car comes in. I can hear her get revved once or twice all the way across the dealership lol. Actually had a different dealer replace a tire for me cause I needed one ASAP after a blow out. While talking to the guy selling me the tire we kept hearing my car getting revved and he gave me the tire for cost and no install fee because they were "abusing" the car. haha.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

well only have had the car 2 years, extended the warranty to 5, I just don't wanna go through the dealer and do it. They take care of me big time. They also love to ignore things with my car other dealerships might not do. Mostly because they all end up with huge grins when my car comes in. I can hear her get revved once or twice all the way across the dealership lol. Actually had a different dealer replace a tire for me cause I needed one ASAP after a blow out. While talking to the guy selling me the tire we kept hearing my car getting revved and he gave me the tire for cost and no install fee because they were "abusing" the car. haha.
Lol thats awesome. Yeah i have the same thing on mine 5 yr 100k. Hopefully my dealer turns out to be the same way. They seemed to be pretty strict as far as the motor/tune thing originally, but that was before i brought my brother to them to get his new Fusion as well. So im hoping since I've basically brought them nearly $60k in business over the past month they will take care of me. Im really cool with the dealer GM now, hes a really good guy, but i need to go in and meet the shop manager as well.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Excellent points you make Nosympathy!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol thats awesome. Yeah i have the same thing on mine 5 yr 100k. Hopefully my dealer turns out to be the same way. They seemed to be pretty strict as far as the motor/tune thing originally, but that was before i brought my brother to them to get his new Fusion as well. So im hoping since I've basically brought them nearly $60k in business over the past month they will take care of me. Im really cool with the dealer GM now, hes a really good guy, but i need to go in and meet the shop manager as well.
yessir that is the way to do it. The dealer I mainly go to is a smalltime family family owned dealer. the grand kid of the original owner runs the place and even helped sell me my car. They were really cool about everything too. Let me drop the check off the next day after taking the car home and even e-mail them a few days later the number for the Ford X-plan. If you didn't guess I wasn't 100% sure I was buying that day, but I got a steal.

The other dealership, my backup dealership, a co-worker at my old job I am on really good terms with who drives a 1986 5.0, his brother is the services manager at that dealer and he is pro tune and pro everything that way.

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

Quote:
Excellent points you make Nosympathy!
I do what I can
Old 04-22-2013, 11:44 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Lol same way i did it. My brother and I both ended up getting the X plan as well. Although i had no clue i was going to buy the car when i did. I had been researching them for awhile since I was in the market for a new Camaro/Mustang/challenger. Although i was a big GM guy, i loved the look of the new Mustang and had heard nothing but great things about the 5.0 motor. Came home from work one afternoon, and told the fiance i was going to test drive one for the heck of it. I purposely went to a smaller dealer because they did not have any black '13s in stock, and i was 100% decided black was all i wanted. Ended up asking to test drive a grey' 13 when the saleman told me to hold on a sec.... Then came from around the back when a black '14 that they literally got in THAT day lol. First 14 they got on the lot..... Needless to say the rest is history haha. Luckily my father called me while I was there and informed me his brother (who i haven't seen in 10+ years) worked for Ford in Michigan and i was able to get the x plan. Ended up getting it for a steal. Ironic thing was that it was the dealership i bought my first car from over +12 years ago... Go figure a 1997 V6 mustang lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT