Hawk Pads - Ceramic or HPS for Mostly DD - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:44 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Hawk Pads - Ceramic or HPS for Mostly DD

Although I still have some meat left on them, after frying my stock pads at the track last weekend I'm looking to upgrade to Hawk pads. This is my DD and will only see maybe a half dozen autocross/track days per year. I put 15 to 20k miles on the car so like the peace and quiet of the stock pads.

Will the Hawk OE Ceramic pads take the heat and not fade like the stock pads or are they little improvement? If I go to the next level, how noisy are the HPS pads for daily use? I'm not looking to announce my arrival with a squeal every time II hit the brakes.

Thoughts anyone?
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Good questions. I am wondering the same. Iv'e read a lot of reviews and the ceramic are said to be very quiet and produce very little dust. Hoping to hear from someone who has tried both.
2013fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Hopefully Napoleon85 chimes in, he recently installed the hawk HPS+ I believe and changed to DOT 4 Motul brake fluid and said it stops wayyyy harder, and these are on the basic 13.2" rotors and not the 14" brembos. Honestly a good set of hawk HPS pads and upgrade to headed steel brake lines and you'll have a winner. If you really wanna keep the brakes cool then get the boss brake duct cooling kit and look into DOT 4 brake fluid. It has a higher boiling point and is less prone to changes in pressure from heat/cold

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I run Hawk HPS pads and love em. They stop excellent but do leave brake dust on the rims etc.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

^ I forgot to mention this, brake dust like crazy

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 04-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
For the track I would strongly recommend nothing less then Hawk HP+ pads with a racing brake fluid. The only drawback would be is that they squeal during daily use. HPS pads arent enough to stop a 400+hp 3600lb car with out fading especially if you don't have brembo calipers. My 3100# would ruin HPS pads after 3 hot laps at sebring in the winter lol. I currently run HP+ pads on my track pack 5.0 with motul rbf 600 fluid and I never had fade while racing. After the track weekend I just swap in my stock pads again. Btw I only put HP+ on my front brake.
Eatmorice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I have run Hawk Ceramics in the past and they off more stopping power but create more noise in the process not to mention they wear fast. Also will get more heat
on the rotors too.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Crap! I was hoping to find a compromise pad so I don't have swap out before track days but looks like that's not gonna happen.

So if I average all the responses (lol) and listen to the American Muscle info it may be best to toss the ceramics on for everyday use and autocrossing (as it typically runs for a minute and then plenty of time to cool down before the next run). And when heading out for a track day swap in the HPS +. Upgrading to DOT 4 fluid would only help also.

So finally (yeah right).: How much improvement will I get with the brake line change considering I only track it 2, maybe 3 times per year? Can I assume the lines just conduct heat better or are they wider for better flow?
Old 04-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Well the stainless steel lines have less change of "giving" while the fluid is heating up which on the stock lines because they give and expand can make them feel mushy. Since the stainless steel lines can't expand as easy they will help keep from giving you a mush feeling.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

OK, makes sense. Not sure I'll go for the expense (I'm not doing the work myself) but I'll cost it out and see if there is anything left in the bank when I'm ready. Thanks or the input!
Old 04-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Makes sense, the stainless is stiffer then the stock lines, less flex so more pressure on the pistons. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Hopefully Napoleon85 chimes in, he recently installed the hawk HPS+ I believe and changed to DOT 4 Motul brake fluid and said it stops wayyyy harder, and these are on the basic 13.2" rotors and not the 14" brembos. Honestly a good set of hawk HPS pads and upgrade to headed steel brake lines and you'll have a winner. If you really wanna keep the brakes cool then get the boss brake duct cooling kit and look into DOT 4 brake fluid. It has a higher boiling point and is less prone to changes in pressure from heat/cold
Haven't flushed the fluid yet, but I have HP Plus up front and HPS in the rear. Stopping power is insane, as well as dust and noise from the HP PLus. I would ABSOLUTELY NOT recommend these in a DD car.

The Hawk PC (ceramic) pads would be great on the street, but I doubt they will take the heat from the track. HPS will do better with the heat, but you're going to have more noise and dust to deal with as a result.

If you truly DD the car and just take it to the track on occasion, I would pick up a spare set of rotors for track duty. You can get a set of new-take-offs from the Roush Overstock eBay store for $50/axle - which is CRAZY cheap. If a bit of brake dust doesn't bother you I would put HPS all around, and swap the fronts out with the extra set of rotors and HP Plus pads for the track.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
^ I forgot to mention this, brake dust like crazy
They do - here's a pic of my front and rear driver's side wheels after ONE DAY of driving on these pads. These pictures were taken back-to-back and it's easy to see how much dust is on the front compared to the rear.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	323.2 KB
ID:	103902
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	328.3 KB
ID:	103903
Old 04-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I got all my pads and fluid from Jay over at HyperMotive btw - overall best price I found on the net. I believe he's on here as Jayman33 (or that might be another forum ... not sure)
Old 04-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Well the rears with the HPS don't look too bad...
Old 04-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
Well the rears with the HPS don't look too bad...
Yeah they're not noisy either. HPS would be fine on the street, HP Plus are ridiculous.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Just be sure you break them in well. Mine took alot of heat to get bedded properly (4 120-20 stops in a row)
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post

Haven't flushed the fluid yet, but I have HP Plus up front and HPS in the rear. Stopping power is insane, as well as dust and noise from the HP PLus. I would ABSOLUTELY NOT recommend these in a DD car.

The Hawk PC (ceramic) pads would be great on the street, but I doubt they will take the heat from the track. HPS will do better with the heat, but you're going to have more noise and dust to deal with as a result.

If you truly DD the car and just take it to the track on occasion, I would pick up a spare set of rotors for track duty. You can get a set of new-take-offs from the Roush Overstock eBay store for $50/axle - which is CRAZY cheap. If a bit of brake dust doesn't bother you I would put HPS all around, and swap the fronts out with the extra set of rotors and HP Plus pads for the track.
Yeah, $50 is a steel. I have a 2013 GT, the Rousch Overstock says 2011/12....can't seam to find if the 2013's are different....the part numbers are different (completely) on the ford website...I'm sure I'll figure it out...unless anyone knows for sure?
Old 04-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
Yeah, $50 is a steel. I have a 2013 GT, the Rousch Overstock says 2011/12....can't seam to find if the 2013's are different....the part numbers are different (completely) on the ford website...I'm sure I'll figure it out...unless anyone knows for sure?
Brake components are the same from 11-14, unless there were undocumented changes that I'm unaware of. That is a posting that's been relisted since before the 13s were available - Roush has a huge supply of oem rotors.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I just added Brembo brakes to 2013 Mustang GT/CS, should I uprade to Dot 4 or 5?
tarupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #21
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarupert View Post
I just added Brembo brakes to 2013 Mustang GT/CS, should I uprade to Dot 4 or 5?
Neither unless you plan on racing

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Neither unless you plan on racing
Yep, unless you're going to be thrashing your brakes on a road course or autox you dont need anything better than dot3. It is worthwhile to flush it every year or so though to keep the fluid fresh.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Dot 4 will have a higher boiling point but will break down a littler quicker. The Motul brake fluid is fantastic however, it needs to be replaced every 6 to 8 months. Spirited driving wont require the need for Dot 4 fluid. As far as pad go, HPS is a good street/ DD brake. A little dusty but I haven't witnessed added noise.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Did you add just brembo pads or the whole brembo brake kit? Are you running the factory wheels? Lets see pics
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT