13s and 14s with aftermarket CAI and tune - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
cbf102770's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 88
13s and 14s with aftermarket CAI and tune

Does anyone have hard numbers from dyno runs showing what gains can be expected from swapping out the factory air box for a JLT or Steeda CAI and SCT tuner upgrade? I know the 11s and 22s were getting 40+hp going from stock 87 octane to upgrades and 91+.
__________________
2014 Sterling Gray GT Premium 6 MT. Track Pack, Recaro Seats, Shaker Pro. Upcoming mods Roush axle back, JLT oil separator, Roush front splitter, MGW shifter. Trufiber Carbon underhood dress up.
cbf102770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
That is 98% tune. CAI is good for 3-4HP. Buy a CAI for sound or looks.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
cbf102770's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 88
Thats about what my guess was. Where on the 4.6 you could get bigger gains from dropping the restrictive airbox the new factory box is better at getting air into the engine.
__________________
2014 Sterling Gray GT Premium 6 MT. Track Pack, Recaro Seats, Shaker Pro. Upcoming mods Roush axle back, JLT oil separator, Roush front splitter, MGW shifter. Trufiber Carbon underhood dress up.
cbf102770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbf102770 View Post
Thats about what my guess was. Where on the 4.6 you could get bigger gains from dropping the restrictive airbox the new factory box is better at getting air into the engine.
yeah the stock CAI on the 5.0 does a good job. Doesn't mean a lot of people don't replace it.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
cbf102770's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 88
Well there are a lot of Mustang owners that do far more silly things with their cars and money besides putting a better looking intake on their cars hahaha.
__________________
2014 Sterling Gray GT Premium 6 MT. Track Pack, Recaro Seats, Shaker Pro. Upcoming mods Roush axle back, JLT oil separator, Roush front splitter, MGW shifter. Trufiber Carbon underhood dress up.
cbf102770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbf102770 View Post
Well there are a lot of Mustang owners that do far more silly things with their cars and money besides putting a better looking intake on their cars hahaha.
I much agree. There are a few members on our forums like that lol. Personally I got the open CAI for the sound. I love hearing that sound of the air getting sucked in when I floor it. I can barely hear it over my exhaust anymore but it is there
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
tj@steeda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,139
The Ford intake system is fantastic, absolutely the best that has ever come from the factory. It will actually keep air charge temps slightly cooler under some conditions than an aftermarket cold air.

Where the aftermarket cold air shines is in airflow to support higher horsepower. On the dyno we typically see 9 to 12 horsepower over the stock airbox, mostly above 4,000rpm. A drop in filter is not going to give you any real measureable horsepower.

Best Regards,

TJ
__________________
Steeda Autosports
Valdosta, GA & Pompano Beach, FL
Mustang Performance Products
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
cbf102770's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
The Ford intake system is fantastic, absolutely the best that has ever come from the factory. It will actually keep air charge temps slightly cooler under some conditions than an aftermarket cold air.

Where the aftermarket cold air shines is in airflow to support higher horsepower. On the dyno we typically see 9 to 12 horsepower over the stock airbox, mostly above 4,000rpm. A drop in filter is not going to give you any real measureable horsepower.

Best Regards,

TJ
Thanks for giving us the real numbers TJ. I had a feeling Ford had done some serious work on the intake.
__________________
2014 Sterling Gray GT Premium 6 MT. Track Pack, Recaro Seats, Shaker Pro. Upcoming mods Roush axle back, JLT oil separator, Roush front splitter, MGW shifter. Trufiber Carbon underhood dress up.
cbf102770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
tj@steeda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,139
Yes ... welcome to the new Pony Wars!

TJ
__________________
Steeda Autosports
Valdosta, GA & Pompano Beach, FL
Mustang Performance Products
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
cbf102770's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
Yes ... welcome to the new Pony Wars!

TJ
So what numbers are you guys at Steeda getting with intake swap and tune on the 13/14??
__________________
2014 Sterling Gray GT Premium 6 MT. Track Pack, Recaro Seats, Shaker Pro. Upcoming mods Roush axle back, JLT oil separator, Roush front splitter, MGW shifter. Trufiber Carbon underhood dress up.
cbf102770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
tj@steeda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,139
We achieved upto 44 HP with the CAI and Tune for the 11-12. Ford raised the base HP number in '13 to 420. Because of that, we have acheived upto 30 HP with our Steeda Custom Tune & CAI. I will have to speak to Gus and see if any numbers have changed.

Best Regards,

TJ
__________________
Steeda Autosports
Valdosta, GA & Pompano Beach, FL
Mustang Performance Products
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
shunc01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
We achieved upto 44 HP with the CAI and Tune for the 11-12. Ford raised the base HP number in '13 to 420. Because of that, we have acheived upto 30 HP with our Steeda Custom Tune & CAI. I will have to speak to Gus and see if any numbers have changed.

Best Regards,

TJ
Iv been thinking about getting the steeda cai, but i have the 2005 v6 auto does this make a difference in my car if i get it? Right now i have the bbk cai did not see much of a difference with a tune. Thanks
__________________
2016 GT RACE RED MANUAL aka " RAGING BULL"
Mods:
Borla stypes cat back exhaust, tint kit all lights, 5.0 race red shift knob, MMD V SERIES SPOILER... and more to come...
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
tj@steeda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,139
Who are you tuning with? Most of the power comes from the tune ... if you already have the CAI then I would recommend trying our tune out for $99.00 to see if you notice an improvement.

We've found between 16 -20 more rear wheel horsepower with the CAI combined with the required SCT tune. Power you can feel!

You could try our tune and see what you think ... if there isn't much improvement over BBK ... then you can order the Steeda CAI.

You won't see a huge HP difference from CAI to CAi ... but we feel that the combination of both our tune and CAI will give you the best chance at maximizing HP.

Best Regards,
TJ
__________________
Steeda Autosports
Valdosta, GA & Pompano Beach, FL
Mustang Performance Products
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbf102770 View Post
Thats about what my guess was. Where on the 4.6 you could get bigger gains from dropping the restrictive airbox the new factory box is better at getting air into the engine.
Fun trivia fact - Ford actually replaced the airbox and inlet tube on the 2010 with the same design they used for the Coyote powered cars in 11-14. This is why the 2010 was rated at 315HP vs the 05-09s 305HP (presumably as well as tune changes to accommodate the new setup).

There are two things that Ford actually did really well on these cars (11-14 5.0) that I don't recommending replacing unless you're trying to eek out the last few HP in a "full bolt on" car; the air intake and the exhaust manifolds. Unsurprisingly, these were the first two things people usually replaced for easy HP/TQ gains - so Ford didn't dump R&D into these for no reason.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
TCopp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: KCMO
Region: Missouri
Posts: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
Who are you tuning with? Most of the power comes from the tune ... if you already have the CAI then I would recommend trying our tune out for $99.00 to see if you notice an improvement.

We've found between 16 -20 more rear wheel horsepower with the CAI combined with the required SCT tune. Power you can feel!

You could try our tune and see what you think ... if there isn't much improvement over BBK ... then you can order the Steeda CAI.

You won't see a huge HP difference from CAI to CAi ... but we feel that the combination of both our tune and CAI will give you the best chance at maximizing HP.

Best Regards,
TJ
I have a 13 GT, how much are your CAI and tunes?
__________________

2013 GT/CS
TCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
tj@steeda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,139
The CAI is $389.95 with Free Shipping. If you purchase this part and have an SCT tuner ... than we will provide you a tune for free. If you don't have a tuner and you need to purchase the SCT tuner then that will run $379.99. The combo combined with 2-3 custom tunes will run you $769.00 with free shipping.

By ordering from us ... you get the support of working with the manufacturer directly, we provide tune support for free, and you get top notch Steeda customer service.

Let me know if you have any questions?

Best Regards,

TJ
__________________
Steeda Autosports
Valdosta, GA & Pompano Beach, FL
Mustang Performance Products
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
cbf102770's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post

Fun trivia fact - Ford actually replaced the airbox and inlet tube on the 2010 with the same design they used for the Coyote powered cars in 11-14. This is why the 2010 was rated at 315HP vs the 05-09s 305HP (presumably as well as tune changes to accommodate the new setup).

There are two things that Ford actually did really well on these cars (11-14 5.0) that I don't recommending replacing unless you're trying to eek out the last few HP in a "full bolt on" car; the air intake and the exhaust manifolds. Unsurprisingly, these were the first two things people usually replaced for easy HP/TQ gains - so Ford didn't dump R&D into these for no reason.
IMO The whole exhaust is very well done for what its true design is..getting spent gasses out of the cylinder..if the stock mufflers were a little louder I wouldnt even have replaced them... looks like for myself ill be keeping mostly stock other than appearance for a while. Then maybe go FI in a few years.
__________________
2014 Sterling Gray GT Premium 6 MT. Track Pack, Recaro Seats, Shaker Pro. Upcoming mods Roush axle back, JLT oil separator, Roush front splitter, MGW shifter. Trufiber Carbon underhood dress up.
cbf102770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
86 muscle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
The CAI is $389.95 with Free Shipping. If you purchase this part and have an SCT tuner ... than we will provide you a tune for free. If you don't have a tuner and you need to purchase the SCT tuner then that will run $379.99. The combo combined with 2-3 custom tunes will run you $769.00 with free shipping.

By ordering from us ... you get the support of working with the manufacturer directly, we provide tune support for free, and you get top notch Steeda customer service.

Let me know if you have any questions?

Best Regards,

TJ
As a 13 owner I must ask, does your cai seal around the hood well? Will it allow water in the filter space?
86 muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Nickmarlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Biloxi
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 104
I actually just put my jlt CAI an bama tune 89 level in and I love it. Makes my exhaust sound an run smoother an the CAI sound great and I'm getting a nice boost when I want it.
__________________
MODs: MBRP LT, O/R H-Pipe, Cat BAck Exhaust, JLT CAI, 93 Bama Race Tune. Lowering Springs, Koni shock & struts, Whiteline UCA & LCA. Whats Next?
Nickmarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
tj@steeda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,139
The CAI seals against the hood to keep unwanted hot air out.

The water getting on to the Cold Air Intake has been debated and debated ... almost as much as a cold air intake does nothing for these car.

We have found no issues with the vents causing water to harm or get onto the Cold Air Intake filter or engine. Others will try and argue the oposite ... but we have done the tests, we have a DD that is at our Pompano Beach location that does not have any issues with water getting on the filer.

Here are a couple quotes from Steeda CAI owners:

Quote:
Same here, it rained heavily yesterday here in South Florida (for a good 3-4 hours) and when I popped my hood, there was no sign of water intrusion.
Quote:
Other than my filter getting dirty or discolored. I've had no issues with my steeda intake. I think the vent just makes it get dirty faster. I'll just clean it more I guess.
Quote:
Just powered washed mine, no problem here with water on CAI.
Quote:
On a side note. I haven't had any issues with water or anything like that, and I was originally concerned about it. So for any you worried about water, I wouldn't be
Best Regards,

TJ
__________________
Steeda Autosports
Valdosta, GA & Pompano Beach, FL
Mustang Performance Products
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Yuckooo13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Clemente,
Region: California
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 muscle View Post
As a 13 owner I must ask, does your cai seal around the hood well? Will it allow water in the filter space?
i can tell you that mine seals very well. i live in illinois where we have just gotten 7 inches of rain. and i drove everyday in it and my car did fine. i have 13 with the hood scoops as well. my CAI is BBK.
__________________
Brembo Brake package, 3.73s, Roush axle-back exhaust, 20% tint all around, All lights and reflectors tinted gun smoke, 20X8.5 and 20x10 wheels and tires, Lowered 1.5" with Eibach pro springs, J&M panhard bar, BBK CAI, Bama 93R tune, JLT oil separator, Black "5.0" badge, Black billet shift knob
Yuckooo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
86 muscle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuckooo13 View Post

i can tell you that mine seals very well. i live in illinois where we have just gotten 7 inches of rain. and i drove everyday in it and my car did fine. i have 13 with the hood scoops as well. my CAI is BBK.
I live I west Texas, and drive a company truck, the only time this car should see water is when I wash her. I've just been curious about that!
86 muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:05 AM   #23
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: masville
Region: Alabama
Posts: 34
ya i can say the same my intake did nothing for my et's...my tune help my shift firmness, but thats it.
bugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Members Mustangs

G.L.

joe89

Sally

matcox83
Add your Mustang
» Like Us On Facebook



10:55 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.