California special fog HIDS - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
California special fog HIDS

Are any of you guys running CS fogs with HIDs? I heard that the light output on them is poor compared to the grille fogs and I just bought a CS grille so I want to put the CS fogs now. I'm afraid my non-HID headlights won't be enough light for my liking and I do mainly night driving because I work graveyard. Anyone have any suggestions?
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I find them too be OK...or so I thought. I recently moved and a lot of my night time driving it is pitch black and they don't do much at all. I need to upgrade all my lights actually now.

In a city environment I thought they were fine. Now in the country not even a little bit.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
I find them too be OK...or so I thought. I recently moved and a lot of my night time driving it is pitch black and they don't do much at all. I need to upgrade all my lights actually now.

In a city environment I thought they were fine. Now in the country not even a little bit.
Haha that doesn't make me feel any better... I wonder if HIDs will be too hot for those little fogs? I have silver stars in my headlights and the regular beams with fog lights is good enough, but the high beams are awesome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post

Haha that doesn't make me feel any better... I wonder if HIDs will be too hot for those little fogs? I have silver stars in my headlights and the regular beams with fog lights is good enough, but the high beams are awesome
It's a possibility. Maybe go with a 35W kit. I had a 55W kit for my grille fog lights and over a year and a half they melted to the fixture and made the lens look hazy. I changed to a CS fascia and haven't tried HID's in them yet.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Are any of you guys running CS fogs with HIDs? I heard that the light output on them is poor compared to the grille fogs and I just bought a CS grille so I want to put the CS fogs now. I'm afraid my non-HID headlights won't be enough light for my liking and I do mainly night driving because I work graveyard. Anyone have any suggestions?
I have 35w 4300k HIDs in my CS fogs and they are ok. They look good w/ the hid headlights but they r not projectors so there isn't a substantial increase in visibility.
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

So basically what you guys are saying is that the light output sucks and I might as well just have them there just to have them? I love the way this CS grille looks without the pony emblem, so I guess I'll have to just deal with it
Old 04-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Yea the CS foglights are really just for looks, the light output is terrible, when I had the grille fogs they were super bright... I have factory HIDs so eventually I plan on getting 4300k 35W HID for the fogs... I think that should be good enough to not melt the housing
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Anybody try using these? http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/d...er,H11,21,219:

The roush grille and CS fog light kit will be my next mods, but I really dont want an ugly yellowish fog light. Visibility isnt a concern as i do mostly daytime city driving, but I want a bulb that will provide a nice white light to match the headlights.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I shall add this to this discussion, from another thread.

No way would I ditch the grille fogs for those garbage CS lights. These are 35 watt HIDs. 6K. They are a touch more blue than the factory HID heads, which are 4300K but, they were available right then and they work well. The second photo is low beam HID heads + HID grilles. Very good for backroad duty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0896.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	104483   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0898.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	104484  

5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well that doesn't make me feel any better either lol. It's too bad having those fogs in the grille looks nowhere as cool as having a big open grille like the roush, CS, or Saleen. Also, I think putting HIDs in the stock grille fogs would be overkill and probably blind everyone headed your way. Fogs are meant to put out a wide beam of light that's very bright for a short distance, but that all changes when you add a HID bulb that projects light in all directions including straight out the tip of the bulb. Well, I guess I'll just have to get the CS fogs and try them out. The boss doesn't come with fog lights and I don't see any boss owners adding fogs to their car so maybe we just take them for granted?
Old 04-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post

The roush grille and CS fog light kit will be my next mods, but I really dont want an ugly yellowish fog light. Visibility isnt a concern as i do mostly daytime city driving, but I want a bulb that will provide a nice white light to match the headlights.
LEDs are not a good choice. They are generally not very bright. 350-400 lumens is really not much. At all. Better off going halogen. Sylvania H13 Ultras are supposed to be nice. I am gonna replace mine with those I think and see if it works better.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

LEDs are not a good choice. They are generally not very bright. 350-400 lumens is really not much. At all. Better off going halogen. Sylvania H13 Ultras are supposed to be nice. I am gonna replace mine with those I think and see if it works better.
Let me know how they turn out. I really like the look of the Roush grille and cs lights, but like i said i REALLY dont want a yellowish light.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 04-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Let me know how they turn out. I really like the look of the Roush grille and cs lights, but like i said i REALLY dont want a yellowish light.
They are supposed to be HID look a likes at 4100K. That really isn't enough to be as white as 5000K HIDs but just whiter and brighter than stock is fine with me. Probably gonna pick them up shortly.

The one thing I read everywhere is HID bulbs in non HID designed housings are just a good way to blind everyone else on the road just so you can see. I even know who has done that now. Those cars are the worst.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

They are supposed to be HID look a likes at 4100K. That really isn't enough to be as white as 5000K HIDs but just whiter and brighter than stock is fine with me. Probably gonna pick them up shortly.

The one thing I read everywhere is HID bulbs in non HID designed housings are just a good way to blind everyone else on the road just so you can see. I even know who has done that now. Those cars are the worst.
Can you get us any pictures or your light output maybe up against a wall at night or something? I've never sat in a car with CS fogs, but I've driven cars with both halogen fogs and the LED fogs(13+) and I loved the LED fogs. My silver stars are in a 5-6k heat range I would guess because they give off a white light with the tiniest hint of blue if you wanna see it there lol. I'd imagine a set of 4300k HIDs in those little dinky CS fogs on the ground wouldn't hurt anybody, but I still question the light output. I want them to be a fog light.. Not just something I turn on at car shows
Old 04-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well that doesn't make me feel any better either lol. It's too bad having those fogs in the grille looks nowhere as cool as having a big open grille like the roush, CS, or Saleen. Also, I think putting HIDs in the stock grille fogs would be overkill and probably blind everyone headed your way. Fogs are meant to put out a wide beam of light that's very bright for a short distance, but that all changes when you add a HID bulb that projects light in all directions including straight out the tip of the bulb. Well, I guess I'll just have to get the CS fogs and try them out. The boss doesn't come with fog lights and I don't see any boss owners adding fogs to their car so maybe we just take them for granted?
They are bright, no doubt but, the beam pattern and cut line are surprisingly unchanged from factory. The factory uses 45 watt bulbs and mineshaft aiming to keep them from being in any way blinding.

I don't run these in town. They are done this way to make a piece of what is otherwise tinsel on the car into something useful on dark back roads. The CS fogs cannot ever be made useful no matter what bulb type or wattage you put in them. That's what sucks or I'd add them and have 6 lights for back-road use. I also re-wired the grilles so I can select them on with the high beams, too.

LEDs pure suck unless you have A LOT of them. Plus there's no real aiming on LEDs and the pattern is pretty flood light like, either broad or narrow beam.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Looks like I need to ditch my boss front end and pick up a roush front bumper. Atleast that bumper has some real fog lights in it
Old 04-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yep...I will never, ever give up on extra lighting for looks. Factory HIDs were a deal breaker for me if not included in the car I was going to buy. The factory halogen headlights are absolutely appalling in 2013.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Yep...I will never, ever give up on extra lighting for looks. Factory HIDs were a deal breaker for me if not included in the car I was going to buy. The factory halogen headlights are absolutely appalling in 2013.
I've seen pictures of your car with the lights on. You sir have gone overboard or have terrible night vision
Old 04-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I think 55 watt fogs would have been overkill...I realize that now. But, 35 watt is just sort of, slightly, "why kill when you can over-kill?"

I am a bit of a geezer at 48 and yeah, my night vision ain't what it once was, that's fer shure.

The pictures on the miniature camera I used don't really show this as well as I'd like. The end of that parking lot is a good 300' away and it was lighting up the hillside under the streetlamp at the end of it. It is amazing how good those cheap plastic fog lights can be when booted in the *** with enough lumens and aimed properly.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:

Yea I tried that, looked ricey as heck, trust me u wont like them... I didn't even have them on for 10 minutes and put the halogens back on... I'm gonna have to go the HID route next time
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

Yea I tried that, looked ricey as heck, trust me u wont like them... I didn't even have them on for 10 minutes and put the halogens back on... I'm gonna have to go the HID route next time
Thanks for the info. Looks like ill probably go with an hid kit as well, or at the very least the sylvania ultras.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

The ultras still look yellow. The super stars r suppose to be HID like.
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

This is upgraded to the ultras. Headlights are brighter. Still dim but I have super dark headlight covers on the car. Still need to get the raxiom headlights I want which I head with a good upgraded bulb does wonders.

Name:	ForumRunner_20130427_213315.png
Views:	1126
Size:	714.0 KB
ID:	104613

Name:	ForumRunner_20130427_213347.png
Views:	3250
Size:	1,014.6 KB
ID:	104614
Old 04-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This is upgraded to the ultras. Headlights are brighter. Still dim but I have super dark headlight covers on the car. Still need to get the raxiom headlights I want which I head with a good upgraded bulb does wonders.
That's not that bad at all!
Old 04-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Do you not have the Hid heads?
Old 04-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Do you not have the Hid heads?
Nope. Sylvania Ultra H13 halogen bulbs.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Always found the Silverstar ultra to be decent, for a halogen bulb it's as good as it gets. I've used them in a variety of applications. They are no HID but they are markedly better than regular halogens.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Always found the Silverstar ultra to be decent, for a halogen bulb it's as good as it gets. I've used them in a variety of applications. They are no HID but they are markedly better than regular halogens.
I'm liking them for brightness.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm liking them for brightness.
Okay so do you think if I got the CS fogs and raxiom headlights with the ultras in both that I would be alright? My buddy has the smoked raxiom heads and they are very bright on his boss for what they are. They have a super crisp cut off line for just about any halogen projector I've seen. I'm just worried that the light won't make it high enough to reflect off of signs lol
Old 04-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Okay so do you think if I got the CS fogs and raxiom headlights with the ultras in both that I would be alright? My buddy has the smoked raxiom heads and they are very bright on his boss for what they are. They have a super crisp cut off line for just about any halogen projector I've seen. I'm just worried that the light won't make it high enough to reflect off of signs lol
Ehh cannot speak on the raxiom headlights. They look like they will let a lot more light through than my headlight covers do. So far the fogs are insanely bright. The headlights do seem a tad brighter but those covers really kill them.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ehh cannot speak on the raxiom headlights. They look like they will let a lot more light through than my headlight covers do. So far the fogs are insanely bright. The headlights do seem a tad brighter but those covers really kill them.
Trust me that, even smoked, the raxioms are better than the stocks by far
Old 04-30-2013, 01:27 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
. Still dim but I have super dark headlight covers on the car.
Ummm...not to be Captain Obvious or anything, why not remove the headlight covers?
Matt K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:32 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post

Ummm...not to be Captain Obvious or anything, why not remove the headlight covers?
Because I have a blacked out look....?
Old 04-30-2013, 06:05 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Because I have a blacked out look....?
So, cover up headlights, then not happy about how dim they are...? I rocked blackout covers back when I was 21, in 1993...then decided being able to see with my Mustang headlights wasn't overrated...not being a hater, just saying that you can't have it both ways. Now a smoked/painted inner headlight reflector could give you the look you want, without killing your luminosity. This is popular in the import community, but doesn't seem to have taken off as much with our Stangs.
Matt K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:40 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post

So, cover up headlights, then not happy about how dim they are...? I rocked blackout covers back when I was 21, in 1993...then decided being able to see with my Mustang headlights wasn't overrated...not being a hater, just saying that you can't have it both ways. Now a smoked/painted inner headlight reflector could give you the look you want, without killing your luminosity. This is popular in the import community, but doesn't seem to have taken off as much with our Stangs.
I wasn't really complaining.....also I am looking at the smoked raxioms as stated earlier.

Lol....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT