'13 New Stang with a collapsed lifter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #1

Region: North Carolina
'13 New Stang with a collapsed lifter

Ford called me back and told me my. 13 stang with 900 miles has a collapsed lifter. Anyone else had this issue? Also, they want to put a new lifter in and call it fixed. Im concerned that it will happen again #2 cylinder, but with a different cylinder. Id rather they put a new motor in rather than fix this and have to worry its going to happen again. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Jr0ckk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Ther not going to replace the motor. I'd insist they change all the lifters.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #3

Thats a good idea. Thanks. Could the collapsed lifter do any damage to the cylinder?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

To be honest I've never had a modular motor apart. Should only cause the car to run like crap by keeping the valve closed.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Ther not going to replace the motor. I'd insist they change all the lifters.
+1.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
"Collapsed lifter" is sometimes something shops say when they aren't totally sure what's wrong with the engine. However, Let them do their work. It's not impossible this is an issue. You don't need to replace all the lifters and you can cause more issues than you solve doing this.

there's no risk of damage from a failed lifter. The affected valve just doesn't open all the way and the the engine's VE on that cylinder is reduced.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #7

Thanks you guys. Just sucks to have a brand new car and shes in the shop already.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
What symptoms did you have?
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #9

Clicking noise coming from motor passenger side.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I'd be thinking more along the lines of the infamous VVT tick these engines exhibit sometimes rather than a far less likely collapsed lifter. However, you'll see when you get it back whether they've found the cause. I'd ask to see the failed lifter as, someone unscrupulous might just have put some of Ford's special XL-17 engine honey in there to cure the tick and billed Ford for the lifter swap.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I would just ask them to buy the car back and get a different one ... internal engine problems at 900 miles wouldn't sit well with me.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr0ckk View Post
Clicking noise coming from motor passenger side.
At all times? How loud?
Xtian85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #13

Yes at all times loud. I mean you would think something was knocking on your hood.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Basically this Coyote engine was released WAY To early, Thanks to Chevy Kicking Fords *** with the 425 HP SS Camaro embarrasing the anemic 315 hp GT, so Ford had to play catch up super quick and use their customers as R and D test beds as the engines were a work in progress, and still are having issues

Its shocking to read all the multible failures these 5.0 engines are having still, even on 2014's

So Now what did Chevy do to up the Ante ?
Release a new engine that was barley tested
NO !

Simply stick a tried and true 500HP corvette Monster in it.
and offer it as a Z/28

Id almost be scarred to buy a NEW Mustang fitted with another engine from Ford (2015) on the basis
their still working the bugs out of the 5.0

Can You imagine if there were NO forums and you only could rely on your dealer to explain the issues with your New car ?
TrackPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Ok relax, troll. There aren't a lot of failures with the 5.0. It's a clean sheet design that solves 99% of the problems the boat-anchor 4.6 had. You'll find issues with Camaros, too, maybe you should head back over to Camaro5 and look around. That's the internet, it's a collection point for every complaint about anything.

and the 5.0 will be the GT engine in the 2015 too, news flash.

The OP is hopefully having his issue resolved as we speak and that's good.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackPak View Post
Basically this Coyote engine was released WAY To early, Thanks to Chevy Kicking Fords *** with the 425 HP SS Camaro embarrasing the anemic 315 hp GT, so Ford had to play catch up super quick and use their customers as R and D test beds as the engines were a work in progress, and still are having issues

Its shocking to read all the multible failures these 5.0 engines are having still, even on 2014's

NO !

and offer it as a Z/28

Id almost be scarred to buy a NEW Mustang fitted with another engine from Ford (2015) on the basis

Can You imagine if there were NO forums and you only could rely on your dealer to explain the issues with your New car ?
Please stop posting here. Your negative posts are not factual, full of false assumptions and does nothing too further or help discussions.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
For what it's worth.....my 2011 has 30k miles and has been tuned since 8k miles with no issues(knock on wood. I also have a buddy with a 2011 with 58k on it that's been tuned since 5k, with no major issues either. Every new car has "bugs" when it becomes common there is a bigger issue.
Personally, I'd ask for a new one too though. I'm just saying there are probably more people with good luck than bad with these cars. IMO ALL American cars can't be totally trusted.
WCatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Coming off 3 major recalls from Toyota and 2 from Honda in the last couple years I'm sure Japanese cars can't be totally trusted either.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Coming off 3 major recalls from Toyota and 2 from Honda in the last couple years I'm sure Japanese cars can't be totally trusted either.
Haha don't count the hybrid pedal sticking to the floor BS that got proven a false complaint even though Toyota had to put out a recall for it anyway.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #20
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCatoe View Post
For what it's worth.....my 2011 has 30k miles and has been tuned since 8k miles with no issues(knock on wood. I also have a buddy with a 2011 with 58k on it that's been tuned since 5k, with no major issues either. Every new car has "bugs" when it becomes common there is a bigger issue.
Personally, I'd ask for a new one too though. I'm just saying there are probably more people with good luck than bad with these cars. IMO ALL American cars can't be totally trusted.
Yup, I've got 44K on my '11 tuned amongst other things and I've had zero issues.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

18k on my 2012 and zero issues. I've had one tire pressure sensor fail, and that is all. Take the car to redline if not every other day in multiple gears. I purchased an extended service plan and a 100k warranty so I will continue to beat it to death lol. I don't ever plan on getting rid of it, so resale value is the least of my worries. I have multiple friends with 5.0s and they all have had 0 issues with the exception of one friend trying to push 800rwhp through his stock gt block with the hellion twin turbos. Ford has been biting the bullet on all these claims for the 5.0s and replacing motors left and right, but what new platform isn't like that. A friend of mine had a 2013 suburban with 5k on it and its at Chevy as we speak getting a new long block because of rod bearing failure. Saying the 5.0 wasn't ready isn't right by a long shot and 5.0s have been smoking that 6.2 Chevy motor since late 2010.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I'm on 3 items for warranty repair, in 8500 miles: There was the paint peeling on one wheel that Ford replaced, there was the failed Sat antenna that they replaced recently and, what was that third thing? Oh yeah, I remember now, the transmission imploded at about 3000 miles due to a failed input shaft bearing.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #23

Well they told me they would not give me another car, so I told them they will give me a 100,000 mile ext warranty as well as a premium maintenance package to go with it. They agreed to that. I hope no more repairs in the future, but if so at least ill be covered.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #24
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

NO !

and offer it as a Z/28

Do you believe everything you read on the interwebs?
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Boy the Sharks are out for Blood Tonight.

May I remind everyone my Bad taste for these new mustangs is Not a personal Bias against Ford, But rather a really awfull time with a dealer 3 weeks after my GT was bought New and already in the shop for an unspecified reason ? for 2 weeks as well

To say I was pissed was an understatement

This is actaully my secound Mustang
My High School car was a 1970 SCJ with the Drag pak
and I could work on it and know what was wrong with it instantly
Because they were that simple to understand and ran mid 12's all day.
Ive also owned a 396 Camaro and a 440 six pak Cuda
So I have no Loyalty to any paticuliar brand

Iam not saying only the 5.0 is the only engine that has issues
But given my personal expierience with a Brand new car that had to be in the shop after only 300 miles,
Iam justified to my opinon

My comments are to educate not intiminate (like some here)
if there was NO issues with cars, there would be No Forums

My main intent is to have manufactures improve their products
Not to Kiss their ***, because i need to bond with a paticuliar brand !
Theres more to life then owning a Mustang
As a consumer , My input is to speak out
Not status quo.

Feedback Improves Product $$$$
Old 04-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah that is going to happen with any mass produced cars. The reason people go after you is you generally state things that are not factual. One thing to say you have a bad experience another thing to say things that are far from the truth.

I personally don't get why you haven't sold your mustang and gotten something else since you obviously hate it so much.

Also the percentage of issues with the 5.0 engine are so small I doubt ford cares. Also complaining on a forum board isn't going to make Ford decide they need to fix something. Writing Ford themselves will help do this.

Also by the time you got to buy one most the major issues have been fixed. like the cylinder #8 issue from the early 5.0 engines.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #27
Road Trip!

Quote:
Boy the Sharks are out for Blood Tonight.

May I remind everyone my Bad taste for these new mustangs is Not a personal Bias against Ford, But rather a really awfull time with a dealer 3 weeks after my GT was bought New and already in the shop for an unspecified reason ? for 2 weeks as well

To say I was pissed was an understatement

This is actaully my secound Mustang
My High School car was a 1970 SCJ with the Drag pak
and I could work on it and know what was wrong with it instantly
Because they were that simple to understand and ran mid 12's all day.
Ive also owned a 396 Camaro and a 440 six pak Cuda
So I have no Loyalty to any paticuliar brand

Iam not saying only the 5.0 is the only engine that has issues
But given my personal expierience with a Brand new car that had to be in the shop after only 300 miles,
Iam justified to my opinon

My comments are to educate not intiminate (like some here)
if there was NO issues with cars, there would be No Forums

My main intent is to have manufactures improve their products
Not to Kiss their ***, because i need to bond with a paticuliar brand !
Theres more to life then owning a Mustang
As a consumer , My input is to speak out
Not status quo.

Feedback Improves Product $$$$

Your the guy with the SPECIAL car, How's it working out for yaa.
racksteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by racksteris

Your the guy with the SPECIAL car, How's it working out for yaa.
He's having trouble getting his tounge to stick to the window.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

People don't join forums because of "issues". They join because they share a common interest with other people.

NoSympathy is right. People (me) are coming at you because you're wrong, not because we're kissing Ford's ***. I've had a lot of cars myself. You don't seem know the history on the development of the 5.0, you don't seem to know what the next step for the '15 Mustang is, engine wise; you make spurious comparisons and generalizations, etc.

These cars run mid 12s (and less) all day long too and I don't need to work on it generally because most of the time it starts right up and goes to work without issue. I'm not in the slightest bit intimidated by the technical complexity of this car. All major sub-systems are simple enough to figure out and access to the electronics and diagnostics makes figuring stuff out a lot easier.

This fantasy people have about old cars and working on them is just that. I remember those cars. We worked on them because they broke all the time. Remember blowouts, vapour lock, wet points, rusty floorpans, crap mileage, lousy brakes, flexy-flier chassis, RUST, useless wipers, crap suspension, gutless engines, etc. I sure do. Cars are so good by comparison today that when an issue occurs, it's the exception. Not so, "back in the day".
Old 04-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I Couldnt disagree More
To think Ford doesnt read Mustang related Forums is really ignorant.
Thats the first place any car manufactuer goes to get real time feedback on their products,
And They do listen $$

Never said I hate my Mustang
In fact I just just ran a 12.6 under warranty and thats cool with me. ~~~ ~~~~~~

But lets be real here , Even a die Hard
post every 5 min, stang fang as yourself
wouldnt turn down a better and faster competitors car
if you were looking for such a vehicle.

That whole Chevy vs Ford vs Mopar Crap was created by Nascar
to create rivals, and it worked very well in the showrooms $$

Drag racing however would stick any engine in any body to win, Big diffrence !
No Loyalty to any manufactuer, How many small block chevys have you seen in older Ford Trucks and Rods,
Millions

Sometimes Negative comments are Positive input !
Someday youll get that
Old 04-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Well said 5LHO. I worked on my 1970 Chevelle SS 454 more in a6 months with repair work than my mustang ever owning it over 2 years now. I've had one repair done on my mustang. I had a section by the taillights resealed becuase it had a small leak. Everything else has been for fun.

With the chevelle it was always breaking down. Was a PITA. Now it is someone else's PITA.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

If anything, because I've had some warranty work done, I should be sympathetic to Trackpak's views but, 2 things: The factual errors, logic faults, etc. and the fact I know, **** happens. This is a mass-produced, budget performance car. I was one of the few unlucky ones with an unhappy MT-82. Ford didn't make it easy but, they did, ultimately, stand behind their product and fix it. The little silly things like one wheel's paint peeling after a couple days and the Sat antenna that failed recently were fixed up without any fuss whatsoever. It wasn't the internet that got them to do the work, it was the social piece of me coming in to a dealership and explaining the situation, cogently and calmly.

Part of why I bought this car new is because I wanted a car under warranty again. My last car, an '08 Speed 3 that I'd bolted up to 300 horse at the tire was coming off warranty of any kind and was showing signs of electrical distress, which is a bear to chase down on your own dime.

Meh, whatever, the track opens at the end of the week. I'm going out there with new slicks and I think I got a shot at 11s on my loaded, full-weight car. Whatever happens, I drive home in comfort and relaxed.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
People don't join forums because of "issues". They join because they share a common interest with other people.

NoSympathy is right. People (me) are coming at you because you're wrong, not because we're kissing Ford's ***. I've had a lot of cars myself. You don't seem know the history on the development of the 5.0, you don't seem to know what the next step for the '15 Mustang is, engine wise; you make spurious comparisons and generalizations, etc.

These cars run mid 12s (and less) all day long too and I don't need to work on it generally because most of the time it starts right up and goes to work without issue. I'm not in the slightest bit intimidated by the technical complexity of this car. All major sub-systems are simple enough to figure out and access to the electronics and diagnostics makes figuring stuff out a lot easier.

This fantasy people have about old cars and working on them is just that. I remember those cars. We worked on them because they broke all the time. Remember blowouts, vapour lock, wet points, rusty floorpans, crap mileage, lousy brakes, flexy-flier chassis, RUST, useless wipers, crap suspension, gutless engines, etc. I sure do. Cars are so good by comparison today that when an issue occurs, it's the exception. Not so, "back in the day".
Owned.

Well said 5LHO
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #34
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

TrackPak......I agree. For me it's all about the cars,not the brands. If it wasn't for other brands no one would push to be better than the other.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:53 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
TrackPak......I agree. For me it's all about the cars,not the brands. If it wasn't for other brands no one would push to be better than the other.
The logic of this statement escapes me....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT