Camber Bolt Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Camber Bolt Question

I'm dropping an inch in the front, 1.5 in the back today. Should I install the bolts or let the shop install them if they deem them necessary during alignment? Id ask them but they are closed.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
You might have to pay a tad more for them to install it but honestly your suspension will be stronger if you don't have to install them.

Camber bolts are known to break under auto X and drag conditions.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
You might have to pay a tad more for them to install it but honestly your suspension will be stronger if you don't have to install them.

Camber bolts are known to break under auto X and drag conditions.
Left them off. Had some issues and only got the front done for now but it looks awesome. I'll update you. Thanks for your response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Got the driver side aligned no problem without the camber bolt. Can't get the camber right on the passenger side even with the camber bolt.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I thought a live rear axle doesnt need alignment, only the front does
JayblesStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayblesStang View Post
I thought a live rear axle doesnt need alignment, only the front does
Correct, to a point. The rear will shift to one side when lowered. This is corrected with a adjustable Panhard bar. Camber bolts on the other hand are a cheap fix to help keep you aligned up front. They are not used in the rear suspension.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

What SmO said. I believe they elongated the strut mount holes on the passenger strut tower to get more adjustment since the camber bolt wasn't enough. I'll know for sure when I pick the car up. I hope that doesn't cause issues down the road. They assured me it's a normal thing to do. I don't really understand why the passenger side was off so badly.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
I just did a 1 inch Roush drop 2 weeks ago. I did the install myself and installed the camber bolts and tried to get it as close as possible to what it was prior to the lowering. I used an angle finder and a level just to get it as close as possible. It was just to get me to the alignment shop. Funny how i got one side pretty close to specs.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDemon View Post
I just did a 1 inch Roush drop 2 weeks ago. I did the install myself and installed the camber bolts and tried to get it as close as possible to what it was prior to the lowering. I used an angle finder and a level just to get it as close as possible. It was just to get me to the alignment shop. Funny how i got one side pretty close to specs.
How was the other side?
Old 04-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
The driver side was within something like 2 degrees (i think that was just luck), however the passenger side was way off. I don't remember the actual degree but it was off. After the alignment all was well. My advise is install them yourself, take it straight to them and let them know you are there because you lowered it and that they will most definitely need to adjust the camber. They do this for a living, trust me they will know what to do with the camber bolts. good luck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT