Better mpg on 87 octane than 93 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Alkhalil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kinnelon
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 59
Better mpg on 87 octane than 93

I have a Stock 13 GT manual trans with 6k miles on it. I drove the first 5k miles with 93 octane and was averaging 21 mpg. I recently switched to 87 octane and have been getting about 22.5 mpg average. I am on the highway more than local street and occasionally step on it taking off from a traffic light stop.

Do these results make sense? Better mpg with lower octane?
Alkhalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
I would never put 87 in my car even if it gave me 3mpg more.

Also probably just your driving changed a little.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tmenzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Eighty four
Region: Alabama
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
I would never put 87 in my car even if it gave me 3mpg more.

Also probably just your driving changed a little.
Well said
Tmenzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Alkhalil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kinnelon
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 59
You are right about not using. I was curios to see if I can notice performance difference. I am going back to 93 and hope within the next 2 months to get a supercharger. Waiting for ProCharger I-1. Thanks.
Alkhalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
B52Bombardier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Niceville
Region: Florida
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
I would never put 87 in my car even if it gave me 3mpg more.

Also probably just your driving changed a little.
I agree with the changed driving but why would you not put 87 octane in your car?

According to the FTC studies, "It may seem like buying higher octane “premium” gas is like giving your car a treat, or boosting its performance. In fact, in most cases, using a higher octane gasoline than your owner's manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won't make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage, or run cleaner. Your best bet: listen to your owner's manual."

Why would you not want to save $.30 a gallon if it was not going to do anything for or against you?
B52Bombardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Bombardier View Post

I agree with the changed driving but why would you not put 87 octane in your car?

According to the FTC studies, "It may seem like buying higher octane “premium” gas is like giving your car a treat, or boosting its performance. In fact, in most cases, using a higher octane gasoline than your owner's manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won't make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage, or run cleaner. Your best bet: listen to your owner's manual."

Why would you not want to save $.30 a gallon if it was not going to do anything for or against you?
Do you own a 5.0? Owners manual tells you to run 91 octane. Not 87. Car will run on 87 but with a 11.0:1 compression you better baby the hell out of it.

I agree with what you posted. So should run 91. I run 93 octane because I am tuned to run 93. The 5.0 engine for optimal performance while stock should run 91 octane minimum.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
The 5.0s computer can detect what octane it is and adjust to it, something the Mustangs before '11 couldn't do. That is why the 5.0s can actually see a small increase or decrease in power depending on what octane you put in. Now B52Bombardier what you said is correct about all Mustangs before 2011.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
TrackPak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkhalil View Post
I am on the highway more than local street and occasionally step on it taking off from a traffic light stop.

So why didnt you just get the 30mpg 300HP model ?
Perfect for gas savings , more then enough for your ocassional 5 secound stop light blast,
and 87 octane friendly
With ALL the creature comforts of any GT if ordered correctly
Even Recaros and Pro Shaker Stereo, sounds like your saying,
I could of had a V6 ?
TrackPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Yea either way you guys get more mpg than me lol. I get like 14-15 when i drive it easy.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackPak View Post

So why didnt you just get the 30mpg 300HP model ?
Perfect for gas savings , more then enough for your ocassional 5 secound stop light blast,
and 87 octane friendly
With ALL the creature comforts of any GT if ordered correctly
Even Recaros and Pro Shaker Stereo, sounds like your saying,
I could of had a V6 ?
Lol what? That was a mess to read. Second he wasn't complaining about the gas mileage. Why are you talking about it? He was confused he saw better MPG with regular. I don't think he once said he hated his MPG.

You need to read things before you post. Your posts are always cynical and wrong.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
B52Bombardier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Niceville
Region: Florida
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
Do you own a 5.0? Owners manual tells you to run 91 octane. Not 87. Car will run on 87 but with a 11.0:1 compression you better baby the hell out of it.

I agree with what you posted. So should run 91. I run 93 octane because I am tuned to run 93. The 5.0 engine for optimal performance while stock should run 91 octane minimum.
You are exactly right, with the higher compression ratio, you need the higher octane. My 07 GT manual says 87 so that is what I use since I do not have a tune...YET. That is why you see a power increase with just a tune alone as stock is conservative enough to not cause detonation even with the lower octane. Key word you used, "optimal!" Stock is not optimal and that is what a tune is all about, trying to optimize the combustion.
B52Bombardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Bombardier View Post

You are exactly right, with the higher compression ratio, you need the higher octane. My 07 GT manual says 87 so that is what I use since I do not have a tune...YET. That is why you see a power increase with just a tune alone as stock is conservative enough to not cause detonation even with the lower octane. Key word you used, "optimal!" Stock is not optimal and that is what a tune is all about, trying to optimize the combustion.
Lol I said optimal performance while stock. I didnt say that was optimal performance for the engine in general.

For some wanting to keep the warranty they will want to run 91 minimum to keep the 5.0 running smoothly and easily without risk of damage.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
B52Bombardier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Niceville
Region: Florida
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
Lol I said optimal performance while stock. I didnt say that was optimal performance for the engine in general.

For some wanting to keep the warranty they will want to run 91 minimum to keep the 5.0 running smoothly and easily without risk of damage.
I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to nit pick your words but trying to use them to validate your point. I know I'm not very eloquent with my words.

When you are running stock, run what the manual says and you won't have any knocking from detonation. When you are running a tune, you run what the tune is designed for because that is the design or "optimal."
B52Bombardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Bombardier View Post

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to nit pick your words but trying to use them to validate your point. I know I'm not very eloquent with my words.

When you are running stock, run what the manual says and you won't have any knocking from detonation. When you are running a tune, you run what the tune is designed for because that is the design or "optimal."
No worries. Haha. Yes I agree glad we are in agreement sorry for misreading you!
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #15
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter
 
primer2tone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Corpus Christi
Region: Texas
Posts: 6,752
My car runs on Mtn Dew & fun dip.


It's tuned for it.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
My car runs on Mtn Dew & fun dip.

It's tuned for it.
Where do I get one of these? I want mine for dr pepper and nachos
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,974
Don't we all...
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
B52Bombardier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Niceville
Region: Florida
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
My car runs on Mtn Dew & fun dip.


It's tuned for it.
Where do I find that motor?! I don't think I could keep it filled up for the "Straw Mod" I would put in to drink the Mtn Dew driving down the road.
B52Bombardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 428
I feed mine camaro's lol
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



08:28 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.