Well crap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Well crap

Stopped at the gas station and put in $20 in gas.. Was on 0 when I pulled in.. Left there headed towards my dads house and notice it didn't feel right.. Tries to give it some gas and just cut out horribly.. Got a few miles and it didnt even wanna run hardly.. I'm guessing/hoping fuel pump? 2011 5.0 btw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Since right after you got gas, bad gas maybe? Although how often do you run the car down that low? Doing it often enough is bad for the car. Digging into the "reserve" gas in the tank that is. Forget the details but I remember it being hard on the car.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Bad gas or clogged filter due to running it low.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Dilute that **** with some good gas, throw some injector cleaner in there and hope for the best. The pump is cooled by being submerged in fuel so yeah, it is bad for them to be run out of liquid for long periods of time.

The filter is on the fuel pump so it would require dropping the tank to clean or replace it if it's the issue.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You sure you didn't grab the diesel pump on accident?
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
rick9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick9550 View Post
You sure you didn't grab the diesel pump on accident?
That's a disaster waiting to happen.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

He'd know it if he did that. The smoke cloud and spitting and banging would tip him off PDQ.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
He'd know it if he did that. The smoke cloud and spitting and banging would tip him off PDQ.
Yea it probably wouldn't even run because deisel doesn't combust from spark.

HID end all thread
Old 04-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Oh, it'd go but REAL badly and it'd **** the whole injection system up. Seen it done.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Oh, it'd go but REAL badly and it'd **** the whole injection system up. Seen it done.
Just out of curiosity. Does it work that badly in the opposite? Regular gas in a diesel engine? I am not about too do either and know how both engines work but would regular gas in a diesel engine mess it up that bad?
Old 04-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
Just out of curiosity. Does it work that badly in the opposite? Regular gas in a diesel engine? I am not about too do either and know how both engines work but would regular gas in a diesel engine mess it up that bad?
Deisel gas does not combust from spark, it is super unflammable. The way deisel engines work is the super high compression that makes the actual combustion. So think about what will happen if you put a nonflammable gas into an engine that relies on spark for combustion. I'll leave your imagination to finish the rest of that.

HID end all thread
Old 04-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Deisel gas does not combust from spark, it is super unflammable. The way deisel engines work is the super high compression that makes the actual combustion. So think about what will happen if you put a nonflammable gas into an engine that relies on spark for combustion. I'll leave your imagination to finish the rest of that.
Lol I got that. I still would like to know how much damage it actually creates. I understand in detail how both engines work doesn't mean in know exactly how they will react. Sounds like it is just going to flood the engine and stop working.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #13
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
Lol I got that. I still would like to know how much damage it actually creates. I understand in detail how both engines work doesn't mean in know exactly how they will react. Sounds like it is just going to flood the engine and stop working.
oh, gotcha. I misunderstood what your other post meant. I think the bulk of the damage will be just the engine gunking up, not sure what else will happen.

HID end all thread
Old 04-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #14
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

I don't know what actually happens to the engine. But we had a **** stick at work fill up a Mack truck with gasoline and went about 100 miles and then the engine shut down. I'm assuming he still had some diesel in the tank so it diluted the gasoline that he added. They ended up replacing the heads on that truck.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Well back on topic now! OP i think we ruled out that you didn't accidentally put deisel into it lol.

HID end all thread
Old 04-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I'm reasonably certain I don't need a lesson in internal combustion, I've been working on engines since I was 16, 32 years ago . Diesel is still flammable. In fact, it's a secret firestarting trick taught to me by a First Nations elder: Half gas, half diesel. The gas lights the diesel off easily and the diesel sticks to the wood and keeps it going til it'll hold on its own.

Running gas in a diesel engine will produce comparatively little smoke, compared to the other way round. It's usually a lot less dramatic but, it's still just as dumb and expensive to fix.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

Gas will lock a diesel up right now. You can't get a diesel pump nozzle in a gas vehicle.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

people certainly don't make it far from the pump either way and the giant Nelson hah-hah is heard around the world when someone does this.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
I would never run my car down to 0, guess some of us have t o learn the hard way!
2016 Gt/Cs autowith 3:55', mbrp cat back and a n/a build on the way!...
blackbeast12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Gasoline in a Diesel engine would cause terrible detonation. Diesels run around 14:1 compression so gasoline would combust much before tdc, reeking havoc. In the opposite, with diesel in a gasoline engine, the fuel would not combust properly and cause sputtering and possibly miss firing. Dirty fuel could have clogged up the filter and be causing that. I would try siphoning out the fuel and putting in a new gallon and see how that works. Then try fuel filter next.
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Give it some Tylenol cold and flu and don't drive it for a week. Problem solved.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast12 View Post
I would never run my car down to 0, guess some of us have t o learn the hard way!
It's called being broke! Lol
Old 04-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I've had experience with gas and diesel mistakes both ways. Diesel in a gas engine lacks power and runs sickly, but usually keeps running above an idle. Trouble is, it's almost impossible to start again, after you shut it off. If you let the engine cool, you might as well flush it, because it aint going anywhere.

Gas in diesel engines is a little different. I ran an International over 100 interstate miles on 3/4 of a tank of 87 gas. It ran as advertised and had full power until I pulled off the highway and came to an intersection stop. Once it hit idle, it died and wouldn't hit a lick after that. Another thing about some trucks is, if you notice your mistake at the pump, you can add a motor oil/diesel mixture to get you by. The ratio is hit and miss, but I've seen people add a couple of quarts of oil to nearly 80 gallon of gas and ran half or better through it before refueling again. Just keep it above an idle until it clears up enough to idle on its own. A filter change is madatory as soon as possible. The gas will certainly clean the diesel tank and lines, restricting the filter.
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Diesel in a gas would do some serious damage, about the equivalent of hydrolocking it. Bent/broke connecting rods, maybe a cracked head at the very least.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Grew up working at the family service station in NJ. Unless things have drastically changed the diesel nozzle won't fit in the small hole for unleaded vehicles. The nozzle cover is also supposed to be green. Doesn't mean the station he used didn't have the wrong nozzle on their diesel pump.

I never put diesel in a non diesel vehicle but I remember at least two occasions were I put unleaded in a diesel vehicle. They don't get very far down the road after they leave. LOL

If your wondering how I could do that imagine the vehicle was already sitting there turned off at the wrong pump and the owner is saying fill er up buddy. A lot of people would remove the decal that said "Diesel Fuel Only". Thought it looked bad on the paint. You know what looks worse...a sixty thousand dollar Mercedes on a flatbed tow truck.
2007 Torch Red Mustang GT, Parchment Leather, Saleen Supercharger, SCT X-Cal Programmer,brenspeed.com tunes, Tuned by X-Act Dyno (Tempe, Az) 425rwhp, 4:10 Gears, Axel-back MAC exhaust, Dashhawk OBD-II Computer Monitoring System, Sequential Tail Lights, Halo Driving Lights, Eagle Eye Headlights with 6000K HID's, Clear Turn Signal Lenses, Projector Switchback Bulbs, Painted White LeMans Style Stripes, CDC Aggressive chin spoiler, Billet hood pins, Pirelli P-Zero P255 40 ZR19 wheels mounted on 2014 Mustang GT Wheels
Badinuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #26
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
So, what was the outcome?
Old 04-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #27

Region: New York
Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in?
42NATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Side note, I was taught a little trick that I do with older vehicles, before you pay, or even do anything close to that, take the diesel pump and squeeze the handle in the gas tank. Diesel is an excellent lubricant, and cleaner of tools, but it can help your car, if you have 100,000 plus miles. Just like adding a cap full of tranny fluid, cheap sea foam.
86 muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badinuf View Post
Grew up working at the family service station in NJ. Unless things have drastically changed the diesel nozzle won't fit in the small hole for unleaded vehicles. The nozzle cover is also supposed to be green. Doesn't mean the station he used didn't have the wrong nozzle on their diesel pump.

I never put diesel in a non diesel vehicle but I remember at least two occasions were I put unleaded in a diesel vehicle. They don't get very far down the road after they leave. LOL

If your wondering how I could do that imagine the vehicle was already sitting there turned off at the wrong pump and the owner is saying fill er up buddy. A lot of people would remove the decal that said "Diesel Fuel Only". Thought it looked bad on the paint. You know what looks worse...a sixty thousand dollar Mercedes on a flatbed tow truck.
My T-Bird was dielseled because the station used 2 gas nozzles on the combination gas/diesel pump, instead of the customary larger one for diesel. The rental truck was gassed, because I was used to filling up on auto islands and not at truckstops. In both cases, I was in a hurry and simply didn't pay attention to what I was doing. That won't happen again, I hope.
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:17 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

And the winner is.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-661570060.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	316.6 KB
ID:	105130  
Old 05-01-2013, 02:14 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT View Post
And the winner is.....
Wait... You sayin you put Mountain Dew in the tank?
Old 05-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post

Wait... You sayin you put Mountain Dew in the tank?
Lol.. The service manager said there was more water than that in in there.. Outta the $20 I got he said it was more like 3/4 water
Old 05-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Lol.. The service manager said there was more water than that in in there.. Outta the $20 I got he said it was more like 3/4 water
What the hell... How did that happen?
Rice Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Wow!! Would the station be responsible for any damages??
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
rick9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice Eater View Post

What the hell... How did that happen?
Gas station had water in their gas dunno how that happened though.. They are gonna pay my bill though.. $258 to flush the fuel system and drain the tank.. Plus a tow bill

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT