Trade or Swap? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
m_tyler_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arlington
Region: Texas
Posts: 745
Trade or Swap?

so, I have a 2012 V6 premium with a lot done to the exterior and interior, just not the engine. I just for the ok from my parents to save money to trade for a 5.0. I'm also considering an engine swap, only because I have so much done to this car already. opinions?
__________________
Betty White

2012 V6
m_tyler_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_tyler_r View Post
so, I have a 2012 V6 premium with a lot done to the exterior and interior, just not the engine. I just for the ok from my parents to save money to trade for a 5.0. I'm also considering an engine swap, only because I have so much done to this car already. opinions?
An engine swap would cost more than trading your current car for a 5.0. Why don't you just get a pro charger or a single turbo? That's the cheapest option.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
If you have only done cosmetics and nothing to beef the car up then trade it in
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
m_tyler_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arlington
Region: Texas
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post

An engine swap would cost more than trading your current car for a 5.0. Why don't you just get a pro charger or a single turbo? That's the cheapest option.
I've thought of that too, but I want a V8 more than anything. more options, the sound alone is orgasmic, more horsepower etc

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
If you have only done cosmetics and nothing to beef the car up then trade it in
thanks for the input. I'm just not sure what would be the cheapest route, because I want a premium 5.0 If I trade
__________________
Betty White

2012 V6
m_tyler_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Elgin ill
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Then why ask ? Lol my best advise is try to return your car to stock take off what ever you can and keep it for the 5.0
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
m_tyler_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arlington
Region: Texas
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Then why ask ? Lol my best advise is try to return your car to stock take off what ever you can and keep it for the 5.0
well I just wasn't sure which was the cheapest... I figured I could get a 5.0 out of a totaled car maybe
__________________
Betty White

2012 V6
m_tyler_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,976
You ever done this before? Particularly on a modern car with modern EFI and anti-theft this isn't for a rookie.

You will need basically the whole driveline, suspension, etc. to do this right and your car will be essentially worthless for resale once you're done.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
m_tyler_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arlington
Region: Texas
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
You ever done this before? Particularly on a modern car with modern EFI and anti-theft this isn't for a rookie.

You will need basically the whole driveline, suspension, etc. to do this right and your car will be essentially worthless for resale once you're done.
yeah I've never done it, I was just gonna get a shop to do it but now I'm kind of leaning towards a turbo on my motor with forged internals
__________________
Betty White

2012 V6
m_tyler_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Elgin ill
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Lol just get a 5.0 turbo will be a waste on your car I think . Your car will never sound like a v8. Get the v8 turbo it years down road and push 700 hp
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Would be a disgusting amount to put a 5.0 in place of the V6. Far cheaper to save up for a 5.0 itself instead of replacing parts. Specially once you count labor.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Elgin ill
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Like sympathy said LABOR alone will cost upwards of 3-4k at least for a full swap
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
m_tyler_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arlington
Region: Texas
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Like sympathy said LABOR alone will cost upwards of 3-4k at least for a full swap
what do you guys think of a single turbo w/forged internals? I think it would be cheaper than a 5.0 premium
__________________
Betty White

2012 V6
m_tyler_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_tyler_r View Post

what do you guys think of a single turbo w/forged internals? I think it would be cheaper than a 5.0 premium
Probably. Would maybe faster times than a N/A 5.0 by a small bit. Your never going to be able to touch a FI 5.0 at all.

Edit: I take that back. For example. http://www.americanmuscle.com/2011-v6-project-car.html runs 11s on stage 4. There are 5.0s running that N/A.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Elgin ill
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
It's all your goals to be honest yea you can have a sleeper v6 with a turbo but when you run a 5.0 with bolt ons they still might outrun you . Just depends on you you said you wanted the v8 sound so I think 5.0 . Like he said there is 5.0s that run 11s and with a turbo would run 10s
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Virginia Beach
Region: Virginia
Posts: 55
Return car to stock, and reinstall exterior mods to 5.0.
__________________
2012 5.0,6mt brembo, beefcake special paxton kit, lund tune, offroad x-pipe jpc ovex axle pipes, gt500 ab, jlt intake, d-spec, k-springs, strano adj sway bars, f14 forgestar.
bam2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
It's all your goals to be honest yea you can have a sleeper v6 with a turbo but when you run a 5.0 with bolt ons they still might outrun you . Just depends on you you said you wanted the v8 sound so I think 5.0 . Like he said there is 5.0s that run 11s and with a turbo would run 10s
Only if you change the gears. The stock 2.73 gears I think they are will keep that V6 even with FI from ever touching the 5.0 at all.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,976
We have a guy that runs a Procharged stock V6 as his DD/track car. It just nipped me at the lights on my 5.0 with a Procal tune. So close it could have gone either way. I did 12.6 on that run.

Given the skill set and knowledge base required to do either of the things you propose here, I'd really start reading up a bit on what's truly involved.

You'd be miles ahead in the end just canning the V6 car altogether and buying a GT, guaranteed. Even if you could do it all yourself, you'd still probably lose over buying a GT and calling it a day.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
We have a guy that runs a Procharged stock V6 as his DD/track car. It just nipped me at the lights on my 5.0 with a Procal tune. So close it could have gone either way. I did 12.6 on that run.

Given the skill set and knowledge base required to do either of the things you propose here, I'd really start reading up a bit on what's truly involved.

You'd be miles ahead in the end just canning the V6 car altogether and buying a GT, guaranteed. Even if you could do it all yourself, you'd still probably lose over buying a GT and calling it a day.
Wise man right here. I thought about getting a V6 and modding the hell out of it. As stated it would cost such a ridiculous amount to even run N/A 5.0 times.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,976
It was the same discussion even back in the Foxbody days. Somebody would always ask, "Why don't I buy a 4 banger and swap the engine?" The answer was always because even then, to do it right and make it like a stock 5.0, you basically had to change everything but the body panels. Brakes, suspension, engine and driveline, wiring, gauges, etc. etc. + in the end, all you'd have for all your money would be what you could buy already done for less.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
It was the same discussion even back in the Foxbody days. Somebody would always ask, "Why don't I buy a 4 banger and swap the engine?" The answer was always because even then, to do it right and make it like a stock 5.0, you basically had to change everything but the body panels. Brakes, suspension, engine and driveline, wiring, gauges, etc. etc. + in the end, all you'd have for all your money would be what you could buy already done for less.
Would it also demolish your resale value since you won't have matching vins anymore? Specially if you keep it for years and years and it becomes a popular car worth something? I know on the older older cars matching vins are huge. You can find a few 1970 Chevelle SS 454 without matching vins but they don't sell for close to what the matching vin ones do.

I would assume that hasnt changed?
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,976
Nobody checks VINs on newer, common cars but, yeah, anybody who got wind you'd done a DIY 5.0 would run, not walk, away from your car. This is more critical than matching VIN #s. We all know there's more 67 427 Vettes or COPO '69 Camaros out there, for example, than Chevy ever made but, the historical significance of a garden-variety 5.0 remains to be seen. I'd be thinking only the Boss, unmolested, has any chance of being a desireable collectible in years to come. All the C/S guys are lining up right now and chambering a round for me
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Exactly why I didn't ever go for a Boss. Partially couldn't have afforded it at the time but would have considered saving for one minus the fact that I knew it wouldn't stay stock and wouldn't be worth a fortune down the road. Also the fact I'd drive it everyday.

That car to be a collectable has to never see rain or snow and be garaged kept with low miles.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,976
Exactly, I knew one way or another, I wouldn't leave it alone and my car's rare enough being Red Candy that I don't see myself coming every day. I want to drive it, not sit on it for 30 years hoping for some kind of ROI on the thing.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
TooSlow4U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Arizona
Posts: 505
Trade it in for a civic. The ladies will be all over you,...trust me.
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Amen brother.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
2013mustang5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cream ridge
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_tyler_r View Post
so, I have a 2012 V6 premium with a lot done to the exterior and interior, just not the engine. I just for the ok from my parents to save money to trade for a 5.0. I'm also considering an engine swap, only because I have so much done to this car already. opinions?
If your going to do anything just go for trading in for the 5.0. Don't forget with the 5.0 you will get like 18 Mpgs. My personal opinion is just keep your v6 and get twin turbo or somthing. Not worth the money to buy the 5.0
__________________
2013 mustang 5.0 track pack(first mustang)
2013mustang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,976
It's worth it is its what you want, that's all that matters. Even if the V6 had 400 horsepower I still would have bought the 5.0. I saw that engine design and the techno-geek in me almost made me jizz in my pants.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013mustang5.0 View Post

If your going to do anything just go for trading in for the 5.0. Don't forget with the 5.0 you will get like 18 Mpgs. My personal opinion is just keep your v6 and get twin turbo or somthing. Not worth the money to buy the 5.0
Why is it not worth the money? Gonna cost more than the difference of the two cars to get the V6 to even compete with a mostly stock 5.0
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Elgin ill
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
A 5.0 not worth the money you must be kidding lol this car makes me smiley daily lol
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
2013mustang5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cream ridge
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Why is it not worth the money? Gonna cost more than the difference of the two cars to get the V6 to even compete with a mostly stock 5.0
Twin turbo 86mm will fly by the 5.0.......
__________________
2013 mustang 5.0 track pack(first mustang)
2013mustang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013mustang5.0 View Post

Twin turbo 86mm will fly by the 5.0.......
On the V6? With all the supporting mods. Gear changes, suspension, rims and tires etc.

Also probably not by much. An FI 5.0 wouldn't even look at a twin turbo V6 as a competitor.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
m_tyler_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arlington
Region: Texas
Posts: 745
the way I see it, my car would be worth 14k-15k when I was ready to trade for a 5.0. that being said, I would want a premium model. so I would be about 14k away from that price. 14k wouldn't buy me twins or a single with forged internals? how much would a turbo setup with forged internals cost? everything I need, anything I need, what would it cost?
__________________
Betty White

2012 V6
m_tyler_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_tyler_r View Post
the way I see it, my car would be worth 14k-15k when I was ready to trade for a 5.0. that being said, I would want a premium model. so I would be about 14k away from that price. 14k wouldn't buy me twins or a single with forged internals? how much would a turbo setup with forged internals cost? everything I need, anything I need, what would it cost?
Might be better to ask that in the V6 section. Guessing 5K+ for FI plus 3-4K for forged internals if not more. Plus 3-4K in labor. Really rough estimates. Basing them off the 5.0 costs and marking them a little less.

That isn't counting supporting mods. Suspension, gearing swaps, etc. Onward.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
Redstang1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Statesboro
Region: Georgia
Posts: 828
I think you should return to stock and trade for a nice used 2011-2012 5.0. You can pick up a nice premium for mid to upper 20's with low miles and reinstall all of your exterior mods to it
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tinman124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mustang, Oklahoma
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 54
I would sell the V6, and get the 5.0.
Tinman124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



01:17 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.