2013 first mod sugestions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
2013 first mod sugestions

So I recently purchased a 2013 mustang track pack back in December. Since then I have put 5500 miles on it. It is 100% bone stock due to just paying it safe with the warranty. Now I'm getting the power bug! Well I'm just wondering what I can get done for around the 750-1000$ range for the best bang for my buck. Thanks in advance!
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013mustang5.0 View Post
So I recently purchased a 2013 mustang track pack back in December. Since then I have put 5500 miles on it. It is 100% bone stock due to just paying it safe with the warranty. Now I'm getting the power bug! Well I'm just wondering what I can get done for around the 750-1000$ range for the best bang for my buck. Thanks in advance!
Appearance stuff, keep that warranty. I'm going on 3 years of bone stock other than sticky tires and its still shockingly fast

If you do performance mods do tires and suspension and you can keep your power train warranty and still have huge gains in 0-60/ 1/4 mile.

If I had a 13 I'd do the CDC performance file and lower fog light relocation
Old 05-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post

Appearance stuff, keep that warranty. I'm going on 3 years of bone stock other than sticky tires and its still shockingly fast

If you do performance mods do tires and suspension and you can keep your power train warranty and still have huge gains in 0-60/ 1/4 mile.

If I had a 13 I'd do the CDC performance file and lower fog light relocation
Already got the tires haha sorry didn't include that. But I do want to add power to my car....
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
I also have a 2013 5.0 and was thinking of doing a Steeda Tune and CAI but after everything I have read on this forum and other forums about the Mustang's with the 5.0 getting tunes and then dropping the #8 cylinder then I would not recommend that....
Vintage Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Iron View Post

I also have a 2013 5.0 and was thinking of doing a Steeda Tune and CAI but after everything I have read on this forum and other forums about the Mustang's with the 5.0 getting tunes and then dropping the #8 cylinder then I would not recommend that....
I heard that also with cylinder #8.... But who's knows if its 100% if your going to do a tune go bama. Other then that idk what else to add to my car for more performence for little money
Old 05-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I heard that also with cylinder #8.... But who's knows if its 100% if your going to do a tune go bama. Other then that idk what else to add to my car for more performence for little money
Im not sure either if it happens 100% of the time but ive heard not but either way I am not willing to chance it.....A CAI alone does nothing from what ive heard but I dont know for sure and a K&N Filter does absolutely nothing. And even if it didnt drop the #8 cylinder with a tune and CAI, I am not sure if we could even feel the extra 40hp they say you get by doing a tune and CAI. So I may get brave at some point and put on some GT500 mufflers on mine....

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Im wondering if a larger Throttle body and a CAI with no tune would do anything?
Old 05-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

What's this about dropping a cylinder with a tune?
Davey13GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey13GT View Post
What's this about dropping a cylinder with a tune?
Its all over these forums, I think its especially bad with a Bama Tune but I am not sure. Thats why I hesitant about getting a Tune & CAI, its not worth dropping #8 cyclinder just for that...
Old 05-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
There haven't been cylinder #8 issues since the 2011s came out I don't believe.

Also, cylinder 8 issue happened to more stock cars than tuned cars.

Also, suspension before power adders as this car has plenty of power but needs help getting it to the ground. You'd be amazed what a decent suspension setup will do.

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Quote:

Im not sure either if it happens 100% of the time but ive heard not but either way I am not willing to chance it.....A CAI alone does nothing from what ive heard but I dont know for sure and a K&N Filter does absolutely nothing. And even if it didnt drop the #8 cylinder with a tune and CAI, I am not sure if we could even feel the extra 40hp they say you get by doing a tune and CAI. So I may get brave at some point and put on some GT500 mufflers on mine....

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

Im wondering if a larger Throttle body and a CAI with no tune would do anything?
You will feel the tune. Even if it is the more conservative bama tune. There is a huge difference. Nothing more I hate on forums than people talking about something they have 0 experience in. Also throttle body won't do much besides giving you a faster pedal response and a cai without a tune won't give you more than 2-3HP and you won't feel that at all.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
A good full exhaust.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
My first mod would be an MGW shifter, then axle backs..though I did it in the reverse since the Roush ABs were in stock at american muscle and I had to wait a week or so for the shifter. The stock shifter is one of the weakest parts of the car. Cant believe the difference the MGW makes even in slow traffic shifting at lower RPMs.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Will an x pipe give me any benefits hp wise? Also can I run them will the stock mufflers? Also how much drone will I get with them?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Will an x pipe give me any benefits hp wise? Also can I run them will the stock mufflers? Also how much drone will I get with them?
2-3 if any. If you go full exhaust with lt's and tune them you can get about 10-15. And the drone would depend on you axleback or catback you choose and whether or not you go catted.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

That question will certainly get a rash of different responses. From my understanding of x vs h pioes yes the x will give a slight hp increase and it will change the tone of the exhaust. Imo x pipes create a more raspy tone while h is a little deeper. Try to find some youtube clips of similar cars with the axle back you prefer where you can compare x to h sound. The hard part is finding them without other mods like long tube headers etc or baffles removed from mufflers. I can tell you on my 2014 GT I get 0 drone with the stock exhaust, H pipe and Roush ABs. Put them on with less than 200 miles on the odo..now at almost 1700 miles done at a mix of highway and city.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I know I Deff want the x pipe vs the H. I ment the question is can I use the off road x pipe with my stock mufflers/headers? Sorry I'm new to this =\
Old 05-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know I Deff want the x pipe vs the H. I ment the question is can I use the off road x pipe with my stock mufflers/headers? Sorry I'm new to this =\
Some CAN. But mid pipes are usually made to fit the same brand headers. Shorty headers fit in place where stocks were so id match brands with those.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah stock mufflers without cats make kinda a funny pinging noise. Wouldn't really recommend that. If you want to stay close to the stock mufflers get GT500 mufflers.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Bama 93 octane race tune! And cai !!!!!get free tunes for life and every time you add another mod they will email new to for it...you will really feel the gain!!!

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

By the way I know from experience Bama tunes completely transformed my car....you will have a lot more torque and hp you will feel
89notchbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:35 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
There haven't been cylinder #8 issues since the 2011s came out I don't believe.

Also, cylinder 8 issue happened to more stock cars than tuned cars.

Also, suspension before power adders as this car has plenty of power but needs help getting it to the ground. You'd be amazed what a decent suspension setup will do.

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

You will feel the tune. Even if it is the more conservative bama tune. There is a huge difference. Nothing more I hate on forums than people talking about something they have 0 experience in. Also throttle body won't do much besides giving you a faster pedal response and a cai without a tune won't give you more than 2-3HP and you won't feel that at all.

Your right I dont have any experience in that however I was only quoting what ive read on this forum and several others about the Bama Tune and dropping the #8 cylinder so I suppose what I read is BS and they dont have any experience in with that either according to you
Old 05-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so if I buy Roush axel backs and off road x pipe will that setup work on my car?
Old 05-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Your right I dont have any experience in that however I was only quoting what ive read on this forum and several others about the Bama Tune and dropping the #8 cylinder so I suppose what I read is BS and they dont have any experience in with that either according to you
Did you look at the dates? The cylinder#8 issue hasn't been since 2011 and was mostly on early built 2011 5.0 engines. Also, Bama to prove there worth warranties regardless of year for #8 cylinder issues post all that mess happening to stand behind the fact they were not the issue.

Also, as we went through there a while back as I have had my car for 2 years just haven't been on this particular forum that long where it was proven more than once that stock cars were failing cylinder#8 on 2011 mustangs. If it happens with stock cars it is hard to say it is a tuners fault and not coincidence in happening. If it was only tuned cars then we'd be standing here having a different conversation.

If you have a 2012+ car and buy tunes from anyone reputable, the cylinder#8 shouldn't be a concern even a little. If you have a 2011 and want to tune it and it has some miles on of where it has been driven like ya stole it, still wouldn't worry. Tuned my 2011 5.0 at 5K miles and never looked back. I honestly have never even seen a 2013 with this issue. Not even 2012s to be honest. Was really just the 2011 models.

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Ok so if I buy Roush axel backs and off road x pipe will that setup work on my car?
your car will always be extremely loud, from idle straight into higher RPMs. There is no quiet with that setup. There is no driving quiet with cops around, at night, early morning etc. I had that setup. It is NASCAR loud and NASCAR rasp. You will also get ridiculous drone at 2K RPM. Enough i couldn't hold conversations with people without screaming.

Long as you are fine with that, go for it. Some people will like that setup. Others like me, I came to really hate it really fast.

Personally I dropped the roush for the borlas which don't rasp and have zero drone at any RPM and are just as loud in higher RPMs but not anywhere near as loud as the roush under 3K RPMs and pretty easy to drive early mornings/nights around cops etc. without anyone ever saying a word.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Did you look at the dates? The cylinder#8 issue hasn't been since 2011 and was mostly on early built 2011 5.0 engines. Also, Bama to prove there worth warranties regardless of year for #8 cylinder issues post all that mess happening to stand behind the fact they were not the issue.

Also, as we went through there a while back as I have had my car for 2 years just haven't been on this particular forum that long where it was proven more than once that stock cars were failing cylinder#8 on 2011 mustangs. If it happens with stock cars it is hard to say it is a tuners fault and not coincidence in happening. If it was only tuned cars then we'd be standing here having a different conversation.

If you have a 2012+ car and buy tunes from anyone reputable, the cylinder#8 shouldn't be a concern even a little. If you have a 2011 and want to tune it and it has some miles on of where it has been driven like ya stole it, still wouldn't worry. Tuned my 2011 5.0 at 5K miles and never looked back. I honestly have never even seen a 2013 with this issue. Not even 2012s to be honest. Was really just the 2011 models.

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

your car will always be extremely loud, from idle straight into higher RPMs. There is no quiet with that setup. There is no driving quiet with cops around, at night, early morning etc. I had that setup. It is NASCAR loud and NASCAR rasp. You will also get ridiculous drone at 2K RPM. Enough i couldn't hold conversations with people without screaming.

Long as you are fine with that, go for it. Some people will like that setup. Others like me, I came to really hate it really fast.

Personally I dropped the roush for the borlas which don't rasp and have zero drone at any RPM and are just as loud in higher RPMs but not anywhere near as loud as the roush under 3K RPMs and pretty easy to drive early mornings/nights around cops etc. without anyone ever saying a word.
Hmmmm not sure if I want drone that bad..... I want a loud exhaust but not unbarrable loud
Old 05-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hmmmm not sure if I want drone that bad..... I want a loud exhaust but not unbarrable loud
yeah I guess it depends on what you want. For me I wanted to be able to have conversations in the car while driving. The drone just didn't let me do that.

Pretty much a good rule of thumb, if it is a muffler delete, flowmaster, roush, etc. you are going to have drone. Anything muffler based is going to probably not have it. GT500, Borla, Corsa, etc.

Muffler based axle backs can still be extremely loud. When it comes to flooring it to 7300RPM in my car you would never be able to say the roush were louder than my Borla. Both were run on a JBA O/R X.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

yeah I guess it depends on what you want. For me I wanted to be able to have conversations in the car while driving. The drone just didn't let me do that.

Pretty much a good rule of thumb, if it is a muffler delete, flowmaster, roush, etc. you are going to have drone. Anything muffler based is going to probably not have it. GT500, Borla, Corsa, etc.

Muffler based axle backs can still be extremely loud. When it comes to flooring it to 7300RPM in my car you would never be able to say the roush were louder than my Borla. Both were run on a JBA O/R X.
So what would you recommend? I want somthing really loud when I step on the gas but quiet on the highway at Cruzeing speed
Old 05-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So what would you recommend? I want somthing really loud when I step on the gas but quiet on the highway at Cruzeing speed
Borla s-types or Corsa axle backs. Both are going to run you about 6-700. Other option is GT500 but they won't be as loud.

You can also do the ford racing axle backs the sport ones that are really just borla s-types and sometimes a tad cheaper.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Borla s-types or Corsa axle backs. Both are going to run you about 6-700. Other option is GT500 but they won't be as loud.

You can also do the ford racing axle backs the sport ones that are really just borla s-types and sometimes a tad cheaper.
If I'm going to spend 700$ just for an axel back I would just wind up getting x pipe...,.. Not worth 700 for just and axel back. Thinking about just getting Roush axel backs. In general and adding x pipe later
Old 05-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If I'm going to spend 700$ just for an axel back I would just wind up getting x pipe...,.. Not worth 700 for just and axel back. Thinking about just getting Roush axel backs. In general and adding x pipe later
Lol well you get what you pay for. Been where you are. Said the same thing. Went with the roush. Then added the x pipe. Hated the setup more than anything. Paid for the borlas. Never been happier.

All we can do is give advice haha. I spent about 469$ more than I would have and traded them for 250$ springs. I didn't come out very negative but still did.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol well you get what you pay for. Been where you are. Said the same thing. Went with the roush. Then added the x pipe. Hated the setup more than anything. Paid for the borlas. Never been happier.

All we can do is give advice haha. I spent about 469$ more than I would have and traded them for 250$ springs. I didn't come out very negative but still did.
Did you like the reg Roush axel backs without the x pipe?
Old 05-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

That happened to one person that then blew it up on the Internet it's not even an issue, also don't bother with the cai it's not worth it has does nothing it all in the tune, just get steedas tune they ran high 11s with that and tires. And a damn good driver.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Did you like the reg Roush axel backs without the x pipe?
At the time yes. Roush with stock cats and H isn't a bad sound. Mess with that and it goes south fast.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Bama is not the only company who offer free tunes for life, they just market better than everyone else which is easy to do with 100+ employees. Get a VMP, Lund, AED tune or even steeda. The issue with #8 was when the coyote's just came out. I haven't heard of a reputable tuner popping an N/A car at all recently, blowing them on F/I but that's what happens when you push the more to the limits. I just had a customer switch from Bama to VMP, after seeing the difference he wished he would have done it sooner but you get what you pay for....
I would stick with suspension anyways and depending on what you do with your car, upgrade the stock brakes to better lines fluids and pads.
jayman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:15 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I have the stock H and Roush axle backs and ther is no drone at all. Driving it from 0 to 90+mph. Cruise set at 80 for severl hours on a trip up i95 and no drone. Easy to have conversations over and gets loud when you mash the throttle. One of the salesman at the dealership I go to has a 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca with the Roush axle backs. They sound great. Nosympathy and I disagree on the sound. I dont hear and "rasp" from the Roush but I hear it with Borla..best bet is to listen to youtube videos or find some you can hear in person.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbf102770 View Post
I have the stock H and Roush axle backs and ther is no drone at all. Driving it from 0 to 90+mph. Cruise set at 80 for severl hours on a trip up i95 and no drone. Easy to have conversations over and gets loud when you mash the throttle. One of the salesman at the dealership I go to has a 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca with the Roush axle backs. They sound great. Nosympathy and I disagree on the sound. I dont hear and "rasp" from the Roush but I hear it with Borla..best bet is to listen to youtube videos or find some you can hear in person.
You have a stock H.........

I was referring him to what happens with an O/R. I agree the roush isn't really raspy/no drone on the stock h but the moment it goes on an O/R pipe it sure is. Also I still don't get how anyone thinks borlas are raspy. They are like the anti rasp. Along with corsa.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Borlas are outa my price range =\
Old 05-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Borlas are outa my price range =\
Buy used. I got like new s-types for $450. Might be selling soon too (to switch to touring version).
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT