Which Barton bracket - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Which Barton bracket

Well I've decided i want to install a Barton bracket to help with the notorious 2-3 shift, but cant decide if I want the regular, or 2-post bracket. Is there a major difference between the two in terms of feel and functionality?? I dont mind spending the extra couple bucks for the 2-post if it's worth it. I will be retaining the stock shifter, as i dont want to have any problems with my warranty by installing an aftermarket one. Unfortunately my dealer is picky about that stuff, and i figure the bracket alone can be switched back to stock if i need to. Thanks!
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
The two post Barton shifter bracket is a killer product. The two post design allows front to back movements for the bracket mounting points, since the drive train does shift under hard acceleration, but completely eliminates side to side motion. In other words, you'll be able to shift gears just as easily as the standard Barton shifter bracket, but will reduce vibration up the shifter under hard acceleration.

Hope this helps!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
The two post Barton shifter bracket is a killer product. The two post design allows front to back movements for the bracket mounting points, since the drive train does shift under hard acceleration, but completely eliminates side to side motion. In other words, you'll be able to shift gears just as easily as the standard Barton shifter bracket, but will reduce vibration up the shifter under hard acceleration.

Hope this helps!

Shane
Awesome thanks Shane, placing my order now!
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
2 post bracket = some amazing shifting.
Mod List: H&R Super Sport Springs, Eibach Camber Bolts, Steeda Panhard Bar, BBK Cold Air Intake, Stack Racing Chrome Strut Tower Bar, Boss 302 Coil Pack Covers, Barton Shifter, Barton 2 Post Bracket, 4.10 Gear, 2013 Track Pack Wheels, QA1 Single Adjustable Rear Shocks, Roush Axle-back exhaust, CDC Chin Spoiler, Saleen Grille,
Defiant 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant 5.0 View Post
2 post bracket = some amazing shifting.
AMs already got one on its way! Gotta love that fast shipping!
Old 05-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

If you get a chance, buy the shifter. That and the bracket combined make for the best mod that I've done to my car yet.
Mod List: H&R Super Sport Springs, Eibach Camber Bolts, Steeda Panhard Bar, BBK Cold Air Intake, Stack Racing Chrome Strut Tower Bar, Boss 302 Coil Pack Covers, Barton Shifter, Barton 2 Post Bracket, 4.10 Gear, 2013 Track Pack Wheels, QA1 Single Adjustable Rear Shocks, Roush Axle-back exhaust, CDC Chin Spoiler, Saleen Grille,
Old 05-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
If you get a chance, buy the shifter. That and the bracket combined make for the best mod that I've done to my car yet.
Yea I definitely agree, it's a totally different feeling!! It should've come stock with this setup, feels nice and positive w/o it being too difficult to shift... Only reverse takes a bit more effort which is fine for me
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

Yea I definitely agree, it's a totally different feeling!! It should've come stock with this setup, feels nice and positive w/o it being too difficult to shift... Only reverse takes a bit more effort which is fine for me
Lol I like to think that I'm building my reverse gear muscles cuz they make d@mn sure that going into reverse is intentional. In other words, the reverse lockout spring is super tight and stiff.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol I like to think that I'm building my reverse gear muscles cuz they make d@mn sure that going into reverse is intentional. In other words, the reverse lockout spring is super tight and stiff.
Yeah I've read that. I will probably end up getting the shifter further down the line as well. But like i said i dont wanna create any warranty issues, at least for now, since the car only has 3k miles on it.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I'm going to upgrade to the Barton two-post bracket and get rid of that fugly stock shifter knob. Will it be OK without changing the shifter as well?
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss View Post
I'm going to upgrade to the Barton two-post bracket and get rid of that fugly stock shifter knob. Will it be OK without changing the shifter as well?
Yeah you can use the bracket with a stock or aftermarket shifter. Im just doing the bracket for now.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
Yeah you can use the bracket with a stock or aftermarket shifter. Im just doing the bracket for now.
Great. I wanted to save a little coin for other things, provided the shifter bracket did the trick. I plan on upgrading the clutch fluid line too. I've read about line restrictions and pedals hanging on the floor. I'm more concerned with safety and guarding against premature repairs than anything else in the beginning.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #13
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

The Barton two-post shifter should do the trick for both of you guys! You'll find a huge difference in the feel of the shifter, even if it's stock. Also, we're looking into bringing some upgraded clutch lines in, too. We should have some on the site in a few weeks!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 05-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The Barton two-post shifter should do the trick for both of you guys! You'll find a huge difference in the feel of the shifter, even if it's stock. Also, we're looking into bringing some upgraded clutch lines in, too. We should have some on the site in a few weeks!

Shane
Good deal. Ill keep my eye out for that as well.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:12 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Shane
Thanks, Shane. The two-post bracket will certainly be installed on my Pony soon after I get it. A steel-braided clutch line will also be purchased, but I'll wait and see what you offer at AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks, Shane. The two-post bracket will certainly be installed on my Pony soon after I get it. A steel-braided clutch line will also be purchased, but I'll wait and see what you offer at AM.
Ill be installing mine today. I let you know how it feels with the stock shifter.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Just got done installing the 2-post. And it feels great so far. Shifts feel much more "solid" as opposed to the soft stock feel. As far as the 2-3 shift, i went out and beat the car up for about 20 min shifting hard constantly, and didnt have any problems at all. My only question is i now get quite a bit more road noise when cruising coming up from under the car. Is this normal? Or did i mess something up?
Old 05-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just got done installing the 2-post. And it feels great so far. Shifts feel much more "solid" as opposed to the soft stock feel. As far as the 2-3 shift, i went out and beat the car up for about 20 min shifting hard constantly, and didnt have any problems at all. My only question is i now get quite a bit more road noise when cruising coming up from under the car. Is this normal? Or did i mess something up?
I thought it only did that if u change the shifter... When u start the car with the windows closed, does it sound like the starter is right next to u??
Old 05-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT
Now you know why they use that soft rubber, it doesn't transmit nvh like the poly types do.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #20
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

Now you know why they use that soft rubber, it doesn't transmit nvh like the poly types do.
The dynamat with the MGW significantly decreases any NVH even with a solid shift bracket

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks Evil. I'll be following your lead on the two-post bracket. Sounds like a smart investment. I plan on buying some noise insulation to deaden the sound and further guard against heat in the console area.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post

The dynamat with the MGW significantly decreases any NVH even with a solid shift bracket
Perfect, thanks for the info. The noise really doesnt bother me at all. I think the sound of the new shifts are awesome. So much more solid sounding. Just wanted to make sure it was normal.

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

Quote:
Thanks Evil. I'll be following your lead on the two-post bracket. Sounds like a smart investment. I plan on buying some noise insulation to deaden the sound and further guard against heat in the console area.
No problem man. I definitely highly recommend it. Can't beat the difference it makes for $100.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's exactly what I did... First I put some dynamat around the shifter base, then I stuffed the under the console with insulation from Home Depot... It's all empty space under there, and it made a huge difference and decreased noise bigtime!! Also, I don't feel heat coming from the console/shifter area anymore
Old 05-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
That's exactly what I did... First I put some dynamat around the shifter base, then I stuffed the under the console with insulation from Home Depot... It's all empty space under there, and it made a huge difference and decreased noise bigtime!! Also, I don't feel heat coming from the console/shifter area anymore
I appreciate your guidance. That's what I want to do during the bracket install. Should be better when I'm running that ice cold air this summer.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #25
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
I'm not sure if the OP has bought a shift bracket yet or not, but if it tells you anything the Barton 2-post imitates the MGW shift bracket, and MGW is the shizz

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
I'm not sure if the OP has bought a shift bracket yet or not, but if it tells you anything the Barton 2-post imitates the MGW shift bracket, and MGW is the shizz
Yeah, already bought and installed the 2-post. Thanks though!
Old 05-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #27
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Glad you like the Barton shifter bracket! As others mentioned, pick up some Boom Mat sound/vibration dampening material and you'll be set for road noise. I usually line the whole drivetrain tunnel, but that's over kill.

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 05-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Yeah I've read that. I will probably end up getting the shifter further down the line as well. But like i said i dont wanna create any warranty issues, at least for now, since the car only has 3k miles on it.
I am putting the Ford Racing Barton Shifter in mine. I have it, just waiting to get it installed. Since it's a Ford part being installed at a Ford dealer. it won't jeopardize the warranty.

FORD RACING 2011-2013 MUSTANG GT 6 SPEED SHIFTER -- M-7210-MGTB
Fritzep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzep View Post

I am putting the Ford Racing Barton Shifter in mine. I have it, just waiting to get it installed. Since it's a Ford part being installed at a Ford dealer. it won't jeopardize the warranty.

Not a ford part....Ford and Ford racing are not the same company....
Old 05-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Not a ford part....Ford and Ford racing are not the same company....
Thats what I thought. So I'd still have warranty problems.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thats what I thought. So I'd still have warranty problems.
theoretically yes. People never want to mention, but a dealership may say you'll be fine with them but say your whole trannie blows and they call in Actual Ford, you run a high risk of it not being covered as Ford won't care what some dealership promised when they are footing the giant bill.

Said it before, do a mod like this an assume you have no warranty and be thankful when Ford covers you if an issue arises.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzep View Post

For that price you should've got a MGW
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

theoretically yes. People never want to mention, but a dealership may say you'll be fine with them but say your whole trannie blows and they call in Actual Ford, you run a high risk of it not being covered as Ford won't care what some dealership promised when they are footing the giant bill.

Said it before, do a mod like this an assume you have no warranty and be thankful when Ford covers you if an issue arises.
Exactly. Thats why I'm just going to stick with only the 2-post for now. I saved the stock one, just incase i have any trans problems, i can swap them back out easy enough to avoid any trouble they may give me for it.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Exactly. Thats why I'm just going to stick with only the 2-post for now. I saved the stock one, just incase i have any trans problems, i can swap them back out easy enough to avoid any trouble they may give me for it.
chances of them being able to argue that would cause a trannie problem would be extremely hard to do. On the other hand a complete shifter replacement and a blown trannie would be easier to pin on the shifter. At least they would fight that one much harder.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

chances of them being able to argue that would cause a trannie problem would be extremely hard to do. On the other hand a complete shifter replacement and a blown trannie would be easier to pin on the shifter. At least they would fight that one much harder.
Good to know. Hopefully they will be ok with it. Worst comes to worst, if they argue it, ill go home, put the stock bracket on, and go to the other dealership 15 miles away. Or do they keep a record of all that crap??

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

Honestly though, i may just go ahead and get a whole new shifter. Ive installed plenty of aftermarket shifters in the past, and they dont seem difficult at all to do on the 5.0 as well. So hell i could do the same thing, keep the stock one, and switch it back if i need to.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT