New Goodies! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
New Goodies!

Well I finally bit the bullet and ordered some steeda c/c plates and tokico struts for my car. I lowered it w k-springs about a year and a half ago and my driver strut mount blew apart on me so a few months ago it started popping like crazy. Can't handle it anymore.. $40k car that sounds like its about to fall apart.. Ugh! Anybody else have the steedas? How are they? I've seen lots w the maximum motorsports. And I figured since I was in the splurging mood I would go ahead and get a new shifter.. Tired of that POS factory shifter. Got the ford racing shifter on the way! Kinda excited about it.. Anyone else got it? Thoughts? And I don't need anything else for my struts/cc plates install do I?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Yeah i got steeda heavy duty mounts with tokico d-specs they work great for me. I also have a complete Whiteline set up and this car handles and drives like it should! But yeah you will like you set up, adjustability is the key!
2016 Gt/Cs autowith 3:55', mbrp cat back and a n/a build on the way!...
blackbeast12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast12 View Post
Yeah i got steeda heavy duty mounts with tokico d-specs they work great for me. I also have a complete Whiteline set up and this car handles and drives like it should! But yeah you will like you set up, adjustability is the key!
I really wanted adjustable struts but couldn't justify the extra $$. I went with the tokico HP series.

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

What springs you have? Do I need anything else? I don't know of anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Did you do an adjustable pan hard bar when you did the springs? Really should do that, lower control arms, relocation brackets. UCA to fix pinion angle. Etc. Haha.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
Did you do an adjustable pan hard bar when you did the springs? Really should do that, lower control arms, relocation brackets. UCA to fix pinion angle. Etc. Haha.
I did a panhard bar a few months after and did steeda non adjustable lca's when I lowered it.. I still need the brackets.. I'm mostly concerned w the struts right now. Just didn't wanna get half way through my install and not have something. Ill prolly do rear shocks, relocation brackets, and adjustable lca's and uca later.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:07 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT View Post
I did a panhard bar a few months after and did steeda non adjustable lca's when I lowered it.. I still need the brackets.. I'm mostly concerned w the struts right now. Just didn't wanna get half way through my install and not have something. Ill prolly do rear shocks, relocation brackets, and adjustable lca's and uca later.
gonna be a wacky ride quality with stock shocks and tockio struts.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:21 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

gonna be a wacky ride quality with stock shocks and tockio struts.
I doubt it will be very if at all noticeable.. Will certainly make it through for a couple months I'm sure..
Old 05-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
I really wanted adjustable struts but couldn't justify the extra $$. I went with the tokico HP series.

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

What springs you have? Do I need anything else? I don't know of anything?

I have steeda sport springs, if you want transform your vehicle go the whole 9 with lca's a uca with bracket, relocation brackets, heavy duty sway bars (solid spring steel is best) watts link. The biggest difference make of all these parts is the watts link.
2016 Gt/Cs autowith 3:55', mbrp cat back and a n/a build on the way!...
blackbeast12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
We can get you to this ...

Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords' Steeda Suspension Install And - YouTube

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:03 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Problem.. Installed the struts and steeda cc plates.. Have a loud rattle/ clanking when I hit a hard bump. Sounds like the sway bar? Something with the strut mounts? I dunno.. I pulled the wheels back off and double checked to make sure all was tight.. Any ideas???
Old 06-09-2013, 12:11 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Problem.. Installed the struts and steeda cc plates.. Have a loud rattle/ clanking when I hit a hard bump. Sounds like the sway bar? Something with the strut mounts? I dunno.. I pulled the wheels back off and double checked to make sure all was tight.. Any ideas???
Coming from the front or rear?
Are you sure you got the sway bay end links tight enough? Its kind of a PITA to do.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:13 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post

Coming from the front or rear?
Front.. I'm wondering if the strut nut is tight enough?
Old 06-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Front.. I'm wondering if the strut nut is tight enough?
Ehh top strut nut torque spec is only around 48 ft lbs i believe.
Like i said double check your sway bar end links and make sure those are torqued to spec. Nothing else on your front end should have been effected if you already checked your strut mounting bolts. Did you put locktite on them? They do tend to loosen up otherwise.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 06-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ehh top strut nut torque spec is only around 48 ft lbs i believe.
Like i said double check your sway bar end links and make sure those are torqued to spec.
Any other suggestions? I got a pretty good feeling its tight enough at least.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:24 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Any other suggestions? I got a pretty good feeling its tight enough at least.
How many miles on the car? Were you running stoxk struts before? And for how long. Could possibly be a ball joint.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:24 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

And I say strut nut bc I had an issue with the shaft spinning while I was tightening it
Old 06-09-2013, 12:25 AM   #17
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
My springs cause a lot of noise. Do you get a lot of travel up & down when you go into dips and humps on the roadway? It's highly possible that coils in your springs are compressing and clanking together. I had this problem, I mentioned it here and was told that was impossible. Well, after 15K miles with those bs springs I swapped them for full coilovers and dude, it was worth every bit of that $1,000. The ride is truly rigged and responsive. Oh, and absolutely no noise.
When I pulled out my lowering springs you could see wear marks where the coils were in fact clanking together. Also, when I removed my MM C/C plates the lower half of strut mount fell apart and all the little ball bearings were rusty and some were missing. My BC coilovers come with a pillow ball mount and its camber adjustable. So I had no need for my C/C plates anymore!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1581805607.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	113003

Name:	image-3119543973.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	471.3 KB
ID:	113004

Name:	image-4266125624.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	503.6 KB
ID:	113005
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:25 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

How many miles on the car? Were you running stoxk struts before? And for how long. Could possibly be a ball joint.
29k and yes with k springs
Old 06-09-2013, 12:27 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
And I say strut nut bc I had an issue with the shaft spinning while I was tightening it
In the front? Were you using spring compressors? I didnt have a problem at all with mine.

---------- Post added at 01:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post

My springs cause a lot of noise. Do you get a lot of travel up & down when you go into dips and humps on the roadway? It's highly possible that coils in your springs are compressing and clanking together. I had this problem, I mentioned it here and was told that was impossible. Well, after 15K miles with those bs springs I swapped them for full coilovers and dude, it was worth every bit of that $1,000. The ride is truly rigged and responsive. Oh, and absolutely no noise.
When I pulled out my lowering springs you could see wear marks where the coils were in fact clanking together. Also, when I removed my MM C/C plates the lower half of strut mount fell apart and all the little ball bearings were rusty and some were missing. My BC coilovers come with a pillow ball mount and its camber adjustable. So I had no need for my C/C plates anymore!
What springs were you running? I doubt the ford k springs would cause that kind of problem. Not that big of a drop.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:32 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post

See it kinda sounds like the springs. Like the spring isnt tight enought on the strut.. What springs did you have?

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

Quote:

In the front? Were you using spring compressors? I didnt have a problem at all with mine.

---------- Post added at 01:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 AM ----------

What springs were you running? I doubt the fors k springs would cause that kind of problem. Not that big of a drop.
I tried everything. I've had the k springs for 1 1/2 years
Old 06-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

See it kinda sounds like the springs. Like the spring isnt tight enought on the strut.. What springs did you have?

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

I tried everything. I've had the k springs for 1 1/2 years
Doubt the springs rubbing would cause a clunk/rattle sound.. If the springs were rubbing it would be more of a squeak i would think..
Old 06-09-2013, 12:38 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Doubt the springs rubbing would cause a clunk/rattle sound.. If the springs were rubbing it would be more of a squeak i would think..
When I hit a bump the spring would compress and could possibly cause the coils that aren't touching to hit

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

BUT I had no noise with k springs and stock struts.. Now with ksprings still and adding tokico struts and steeda plates
Old 06-09-2013, 12:39 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

When I hit a bump the spring would compress and could possibly cause the coils that aren't touching to hit
A clunk maybe for sure, but not a rattle. Refresh my memory what is the drop on the k springs? 1.5?
Old 06-09-2013, 12:39 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

A clunk maybe for sure, but not a rattle. Refresh my memory what is the drop on the k springs? 1.5?
Yup
Old 06-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yup
Yeah i have the steeda ultralites with atleast a 1.5 drop (think i might have got a bit more honestly), and i dont have any sound from the front. Im running the koni str.t struts and maximum motorsports plates.

Does it make noise with the strut compressed or decompressed?
Old 06-09-2013, 01:04 AM   #26
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
I had dynamic racing springs. They were some cheap eBay springs. I'll never do that again. It was about a 2 inch drop and the ride was awful.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:09 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah i have the steeda ultralites with atleast a 1.5 drop (think i might have got a bit more honestly), and i dont have any sound from the front. Im running the koni str.t struts and maximum motorsports plates.

Does it make noise with the strut compressed or decompressed?
Honestly not sure.

---------- Post added at 01:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 AM ----------

It's not every time I hit a bump.. Gotta hit it just right I guess

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 AM ----------

He other day I was turning onto another road and hit a very very small bump and heard it a couple times.. Other times I can hit pretty hard bumps and nothing other than the hard hit from the plates
Old 06-09-2013, 01:19 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Honestly not sure.

---------- Post added at 01:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 AM ----------

It's not every time I hit a bump.. Gotta hit it just right I guess

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 AM ----------

He other day I was turning onto another road and hit a very very small bump and heard it a couple times.. Other times I can hit pretty hard bumps and nothing other than the hard hit from the plates
Hmm... Interesting. Not to familiar with the steeda cc plates, do they use the strut mount like like maximum motorsports do?
Old 06-09-2013, 01:21 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hmm... Interesting. Not to familiar with the steeda cc plates, do they use the strut mount like like maximum motorsports do?
Just the spring cup
Old 06-09-2013, 01:37 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Just the spring cup
So they dont use any of the ball bearings or anything?
Old 06-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So they dont use any of the ball bearings or anything?
No it's new HD bearings.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No it's new HD bearings.
The other thing i can possibly think off is maybe you got a bad bearing? Or maybe a bad strut? Hopefully Nosympathy or GrabberBlue5.0 will chime in. They know a bit more about suspension. Not sure what CC plates Grabber is running, but im pretty sure nosympathy is running the MM plates as well.

Your POSITIVE the your sway bar end links are torqued to spec?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT