Real world testing, and my first hello - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Real world testing, and my first hello

Hey all,
This is my first post and I would like to thank M.E. for having me. I just bought my first Mustang! Yea go me... A 2011 GT/CS in candy red metallic. I have alway been a mustang lover from my brothers '67 to the '03 cobra I drooled over in my late teens. I am proud to be part of the heritage that is the first real muscle car.

So as we all do with these cars. I am looking to upgrade a bit and have a few things in mind that I was hoping to get some real world unbiased opinions on.

1) lower control arms.

2) panhard bar.

3) upper control arm.

My questions:
Is the improvement there?
Worth the cost effort etc?
Does it make the ride hard?
I'm looking into the whitelines adj setup

Thanks for any answers guys & gals
Davestanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davestanged View Post
Hey all,
This is my first post and I would like to thank M.E. for having me. I just bought my first Mustang! Yea go me... A 2011 GT/CS in candy red metallic. I have alway been a mustang lover from my brothers '67 to the '03 cobra I drooled over in my late teens. I am proud to be part of the heritage that is the first real muscle car.

So as we all do with these cars. I am looking to upgrade a bit and have a few things in mind that I was hoping to get some real world unbiased opinions on.

1) lower control arms.

2) panhard bar.

3) upper control arm.

My questions:
Is the improvement there?
Worth the cost effort etc?
Does it make the ride hard?
I'm looking into the whitelines adj setup

Thanks for any answers guys & gals
Welcome and congrats! From what I've read on here, lcas and relo brackets are a must on those cars if you're looking for better traction. That, along with a new UCA are the next parts on my mods list. LCA install is pretty simple, but i hear the UCA is a bear. But both yield extremely positive results over the stock parts though.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yes the upper seems to be a tight fit but is supposed to be doable in a garage so figure if done would be last but curious if its a positive enough gain to worry about

Thanks evil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Welcome,

I'm a fellow GT/CS owner also, I have a 2013. I'm sure I speak for a lot of people here when I say, let's see some pics of your new stang. There's a lot of good people here that can help you with your questions through years of experience with the s197 platform. You'll find to that 90% of the questions asked on here have been answered time and time again, the search feature can be your best friend. With that being said, the mods you suggested are a great start. Probably the best place seeing as those these cars have more than enough power but suffer drastically in the suspension department. Whiteline makes great products, I personally am a fan of BMR products but you will not be disappointed if Whiteline is the path you take. Full adjustability is only completely necessary if you plan on doing a lot of autoX, track days, or drag racing. If you want a solid and quiet daily driver that can hold its own on any off road sport, you don't have to dive right in. LCA's are the first place I'd start if I were you. If you decided to lower her, get the LCA Relocation brackets, adjustable Panhard bar, and adjustable UCA/mount. These other components will help get the rear end all squared back up and the pinion angle corrected for the drop. Personally the Eibach prokit springs are great 1" in the front and 1.5" in the rear. They set it down nice and level, close up the wheel gap, and ride great with factory shocks. If you don't plan on pushing her to hard on road courses just get the Eibach camber bolts so you can get the front end realigned to avoid any premature wearing of your tires. If you plan on doing springs, make sure to pick up a set of replacement strut mounts, reusing the stock ones will results in popping and harshness in your front suspension. From here, a one piece driveshaft makes a world of difference. It's worth every penny. Taking weight off the drivetrain and removing the two sloppy factory ones result in snappier acceleration and much smoother driving in general. Next, exhaust. Just get yourself a nice axle back setup. The stock mufflers are way to quiet and the 3" tips look tiny coming out the rear bumper. Mild, you could go with some GT500 mufflers. Wild, you could go with some flowmaster outlaws or Borla ataks. Most people will say Borla S-Type or Roush, especially when the rest of the exhaust is left stock. My next mod, would be a tune. Many companies offer great handheld tuners like the SCT unit or Diablosport and even offer canned mail order tunes that can be updated as you mod in the future. Even with these cars 100% stock a aftermarket tune is a night and day difference. Especially with the automatic cars, it totally changes the shifting characteristics and throttle response. If you have a manual car, replace the factory shifter ASAP. Personally MGW make the best all in one unit that looks like something that was made by mad scientists. The positive feedback and confident shifts make the driving experience much more enjoyable. Barton makes some decent pieces too. Other quick things that don't cost a fortune are gears, depending on what you have now, 3.73's for the manual N/A cars and 3.31 for the automatics seem to be the best all around gear. And the tires and wheels that come stock leave something to be desired. The wheels are incredible heavy and the narrow bicycle tires that come from the factory will leave you begging for traction. You have alot of great options out there. If you have any questions as to where you can get any of these parts or about the parts themselves, feel free to send me a PM. Good luck to you! Now let's see that Pony!!!
-SmO
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I felt like offering an opinion until I saw the book written above. It says pretty much everything.

If you want us to help refine what you might like, tell us how you plan to use the car? Drag, auto x, etc. Onward.

Also definitely pictures!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I guess I should have started off by what's on the car huh lol... This would have made a much easier response! As the car is slightly used I was fortunate enough to receive some nice goodies as well.
Full roush suspension. I believe 1" all four corners
Roush cat back
Roush CIA
3.73 gears
Also have the 19" I think Brembo wheels with Pzero 255's they hold ok...for now

I would love a tune however extra HP is second to GP for the moment

Thanks so much for such an in depth answer

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

And pics up soon

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
I felt like offering an opinion until I saw the book written above. It says pretty much everything.

If you want us to help refine what you might like, tell us how you plan to use the car? Drag, auto x, etc. Onward.

Also definitely pictures!
He did put in some effort... No doubt about it!
Old 05-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Well with that helpful info it sounds like you have a good jump on things. Sounds like you got a deal. Definitely go with LCA'S, Relos, UCA & Mount, camber bolts, and a adjustable Panhard bar. You won't be disappointed with Whiteline products. If you do in fact have the brembo wheels and tires you'll be good there for the time being. But you can safely fit some 275's on there. Auto or Manual?
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Holy romance novel! DWC is on point. Only thing left to say is congrats on the new car and welcome aboard!!
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
In awe of the post lol.

All that's left is welcome! Can't wait to see pics. Great and knowledgeable guys here.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
Well with that helpful info it sounds like you have a good jump on things. Sounds like you got a deal. Definitely go with LCA'S, Relos, UCA & Mount, camber bolts, and a adjustable Panhard bar. You won't be disappointed with Whiteline products. If you do in fact have the brembo wheels and tires you'll be good there for the time being. But you can safely fit some 275's on there. Auto or Manual?
Do I need the camber bolts if I were to get adjustable (everything else)?
If so how could I look to see if they are already on? Sorry but never lowered my own car before so not sure on location. Not trying to sound to novice here lol
Old 05-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks everyone. I am excited to be part. I do know there is knowledge here I've been reading post since the day I bought my car three weeks ago. I try to look up every question I have. Most without getting what I want answered but still good info.

I have a huge wish list for this car and once my bank account is up and running again I will be emptying it out again.
1) parts above... And now camber bolts apparently thank DWC
2)Lighter wheels (tsw nurburgring 19x9.5)
3)Mach 500 clutch and lightweight FW
4)tune... What is really best I'm unsure
5)accel super coils and iridium plugs
6)aluminum DS

For now that ought to be good for some corvette eating
Old 05-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Based on what I've done here: Shifter bracket or shifter if MT, then UCA, then LCA if you think your still need them. Personal control first, then traction, power later. Relos only if you want the car to go straight only or are lowered more than 1".
Tires before all but shifting if you don't like the stockers, which you probably don't since you have GT/CS which comes with no-season Pirellis Neros, I think.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Do I need the camber bolts if I were to get adjustable (everything else)?
If so how could I look to see if they are already on? Sorry but never lowered my own car before so not sure on location. Not trying to sound to novice here lol
You'd have to pull off the front wheels and look at the strut bolts. The top one would look different than the bottom. If you don't have them and the car is properly aligned you don't need them. They are going to be to get you aligned properly. One inch drop is kinda that fine line between needing and not needing them.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:31 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I do have the hurst short throw... But I hate it. Feels like I can never get in the gate

---------- Post added at 03:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 AM ----------

Thanks Nosy
Old 05-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #15
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Wow, looks like there is some good stuff in here! After looking at your latest post though, I would say all the mods are good except those accel cops. There's no need for those, they show no improvement over stock, otherwise pull the trigger on all those other mods

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I do have the hurst short throw... But I hate it. Feels like I can never get in the gate

---------- Post added at 03:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 AM ----------

Thanks Nosy
If you wanna keep the Hurst short throw I would get a Barton 2 post bracket to stiffen it up. Personally I'd trade that shifter for the Barton or MGW but if you wanna keep it the bracket will help.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Wow, looks like there is some good stuff in here! After looking at your latest post though, I would say all the mods are good except those accel cops. There's no need for those, they show no improvement over stock, otherwise pull the trigger on all those other mods
Really!? AM showed the dyno pull made 10hp over the whole band... On my old car I felt a large boost in overall power when I installed high end coils. Have others tried this?

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
If you wanna keep the Hurst short throw I would get a Barton 2 post bracket to stiffen it up. Personally I'd trade that shifter for the Barton or MGW but if you wanna keep it the bracket will help.
Which do you have? And which of these is #1 in your book? I'm totally down for better shifting.... Wasn't sure if this was a train thing or the hurst as I never got to try the stock shifter in the car
Old 05-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Haha I don't have one, I am picking up the MGW here in a few weeks hopefully. I did get to try a hurst in another mustang and thought it was sloppier than stock. Another user on here had it and didn't think so. That I guess is on opinion.

You are really not going to go wrong with the MGW or the Barton, the MGW is just a better replacement. It replaces more than the Barton. I did get to feel an MGW in a camaro and that shifter was solid and extremely precise. I was sold pretty much immedity.

I wouldn't 100% take my thoughts on that though as like I said, I have no long term exposure to anything but the stock shifter.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #19
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

Really!? AM showed the dyno pull made 10hp over the whole band... On my old car I felt a large boost in overall power when I installed high end coils. Have others tried this?

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

Which do you have? And which of these is #1 in your book? I'm totally down for better shifting.... Wasn't sure if this was a train thing or the hurst as I never got to try the stock shifter in the car
Yea, really, the stock cops don't actually do anything at all on most of our vehicles, you've really gotta be pushing some mad power and boost to get anything out of them.

I have had the Barton 2-post and MGW shifter. If you don't want to spend too much then get the Barton bracket, otherwise I say MGW all the way. It's an awesome shifter.

The Barton bracket really stiffens up the stock shifter though

The Barton 2-post bracket actually imitates the MGW shift bracket design, but the MGW shift bracket can only be used with the MGW shifter

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 05-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea, really, the stock cops don't actually do anything at all on most of our vehicles, you've really gotta be pushing some mad power and boost to get anything out of them.

I have had the Barton 2-post and MGW shifter. If you don't want to spend too much then get the Barton bracket, otherwise I say MGW all the way. It's an awesome shifter.

The Barton bracket really stiffens up the stock shifter though

The Barton 2-post bracket actually imitates the MGW shift bracket design, but the MGW shift bracket can only be used with the MGW shifter
Ok we'll you seem firm on this and they are a bit pricey so ill chill on them.

As for the MGW shifter do you have any idea what these cost and where is the best place to purchase? If its resonable then I may move this to the top of my list... The hurst truly is awful!!!
Old 05-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.mgwltd.com

Only place you can buy them unless you find one used.

Sells for 390.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

This is by far the best forum I've ever been on... You guys are quick to respond and provide actual detail. Even more siked about the mods these mods. Almost got me to make a dash over to AM last night... But I know I can't or I'd be in some serious heat lol. Next week I'm getting the lCA's at least and maybe this MGW shift if its in my range.... Anyone know someone looking for a hurst lol.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

Ok wow may have to wait a bit

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

Wow looks so good it's a shame to cover with leather
Old 05-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #23
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Yea it's about 4-6 week time frame between order fulfillment from MGW. I bought mine used on another forum, but the previous owner clearly took care of it. I love mine and would do it again if I had to

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 05-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea it's about 4-6 week time frame between order fulfillment from MGW. I bought mine used on another forum, but the previous owner clearly took care of it. I love mine and would do it again if I had to
Been looking for a used one lol... Doubt much will be selling everyone seems to love it
Old 05-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
What was the previous owners reason for selling??
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #26
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

What was the previous owners reason for selling??
They got rid of the car... Pretty good reason to me lol

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 05-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Yea if only the rest of us get that lucky lol.... Got one pic up in my garage if still interested. It's a crummy day here and had to use an ipad for the photo so bare with me for better photos

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

Grabber your car sounds great
Old 05-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #28
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

That's actually old, I sold the roush and installed the FRPP sport, which sounds even better. This is my 5th set of axlebacks lol

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 05-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

MGW if you want the best expensive but the best
Thomas11CS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's actually old, I sold the roush and installed the FRPP sport, which sounds even better. This is my 5th set of axlebacks lol
Damn right they sound better.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I have the roush... Makes me smile so no complaints here

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT