Suspension Confusion - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Suspension Confusion

So I've been doing as much reading as possible trying to learn about which components would best suit my driving needs when it comes to suspension (no drag racing, just canyon carving type stuff). Right now I am thinking Koni STR.T struts/shocks and Steeda sport springs. I am a bit confused though, because I read on sam strano's site that in order for these shocks/struts to fit a 2011+ mustang, I need some sort of adapter/special mount from a 2010 mustang, but I'm not sure what this means really as I haven't read that anywhere else. I was planning on getting J&M caster plates but now I'm not sure if I need some other part too since I have a 2013 GT.

I was also looking at eibach front/rear sways, BMR lower control arms and adjustable upper control arm, and BMR adjustable panhard bar. This is all starting to add up though, so I'm wondering what are the most necessary items to help my car handle the twisties well (wheel hop on hard launches hasn't really been an issue for me so far). Thanks for any help guys!
matt6589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt6589 View Post
So I've been doing as much reading as possible trying to learn about which components would best suit my driving needs when it comes to suspension (no drag racing, just canyon carving type stuff). Right now I am thinking Koni STR.T struts/shocks and Steeda sport springs. I am a bit confused though, because I read on sam strano's site that in order for these shocks/struts to fit a 2011+ mustang, I need some sort of adapter/special mount from a 2010 mustang, but I'm not sure what this means really as I haven't read that anywhere else. I was planning on getting J&M caster plates but now I'm not sure if I need some other part too since I have a 2013 GT.

I was also looking at eibach front/rear sways, BMR lower control arms and adjustable upper control arm, and BMR adjustable panhard bar. This is all starting to add up though, so I'm wondering what are the most necessary items to help my car handle the twisties well (wheel hop on hard launches hasn't really been an issue for me so far). Thanks for any help guys!
Definitely koni strt. Don't do the J&M camber plates. Worth the extra money to go with the maximum motorsports caster camber plates. The J&M plates won't work without a specific piece off of the 05-10 struts. It is the spring perch and it is radically different between the 05-10 and 11+ years. To get this piece you have to buy the whole OEM strut assembly. Not worth it. The MM plates provide better adjustment. There is another member on here who went to do then same thing. You want the 2011-2014 MMCC plates.

Also pan hard bar is a must to get the rear axle aligned, you will have a higher chance of wheel hop after lowering the car so LCA plus relo brackets would be ideal, but not 100% needed. Might want to consider UCA plus mount though to fix your pinion angle. I would pass on the sway bars. The stock ones are plenty good.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so if I go for the MM plates then I don't need any special parts, I can just mount up the Konis real easy? Also on AM the Konis are listed as only for 05-10 mustangs, but with the MM plates I can put them on my 2013?

Also, interesting advice on the sway bars, I hadn't heard anyone say to just keep the stock ones. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

The 11-14 MM plates mount to the spring perch on your current stock struts. So you'd take out the strut assembly, pull it apart, and use the spring perch. The MM plates Mount right on top of it. You'll probably take the struts apart anyway to get the bump stops and dust covers. The 11-14 MM plates come with correct washers to fit 05-10 struts or 11-14 struts. So it'll mount to either. You just need 11-14 spring perches which are currently on your car.

I know as I have them. 05-10 Koni str.t and 11-14 MM CC plates. They are fantastic.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome thanks! BTW, how do you like your H&R springs with the str.ts? I had read the Steeda ones work well with the str.ts but I'm open to other options as well.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Awesome thanks! BTW, how do you like your H&R springs with the str.ts? I had read the Steeda ones work well with the str.ts but I'm open to other options as well.
NP! I love them. No bottom outs and the ride is usually really smooth and she just hugs the ground when carving. I will warn though, they are a much steeper drop than the steedas and there are places I scrape or can't drive. I knew this would happen and accepted it. Also some bumps say on the highway hit pretty hard. Doesn't happen to much but does happen. All depends on what you want.

The steedas are probably gonna be more like stock for hitting bumps and drivability.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Will I need to get different bump stops? And if so which ones would be best? I'm thinking the Steeda springs are for me, I don't want to go super low, an inch or so is fine with me.

Also with just a 1-1.5" drop or so, is an adjustable UCA necessary to correct pinion angle or is that only needed for steeper drops?
Old 05-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Will I need to get different bump stops? And if so which ones would be best? I'm thinking the Steeda springs are for me, I don't want to go super low, an inch or so is fine with me.
No sir, just reuse your stock ones. I'd consider cutting them down a little but the stock ones do the job just fine.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

As for the adjustable UCA though what would you recommend? Thanks again for all your help
Old 05-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Thanks for asking these things. Super helpful! Plz let me kno if you can find koni srt struts in stock!

Borla Exhaust Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eZpnBuQiag

GT500 Muffler sound clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkGKwxQkTc8
Filth and Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
As for the adjustable UCA though what would you recommend? Thanks again for all your help
BMR for all of it. I love the BMR quality. So just their poly adjustable UCA. Make sure to do the mount too.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filth and Fury View Post
Thanks for asking these things. Super helpful! Plz let me kno if you can find koni srt struts in stock!
I got mine a couple of weeks ago from maximum motorsports. $370 shipped. Only place I could find them.
ARfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
MM CC plates you can get from LMR or AM... with their discount you'd be looking around 330 shipped to you. BMR is great but for the UCA I would really get the Whiteline Adj. Its much quieter and less expensive. I've used both, raced with both (strip and course), the WL UCA is better. There is a reason the Boss 302S race car you have the option to get all WL suspension components. BMR's PHB is simple to use and adjustability is easy, they have a decent entry level non-adj LCA and brackets as well. My suspension consists of WL watts link, METCO LCA's, WL relo brackets and WL adj UCA. Its very quiet, I expected extra NVH but did not get it.

As far as sways, keep your stock bars. The technology hasn't changed much and the improvement from OEM to aftermarket isn't that impressive. There is a reason some aftermarket companies haven't come out with 11+ sways just yet.

The biggest improvement you can make to your car is struts and shocks, I've ran Koni yellows and can honestly tell you that these are the best bang for the buck for adjustability. Along with adjustability, these handle much higher spring rates aggressive lowering plus come with a lifetime warranty that they actually honor.

This is what I would recommend:
Koni Yellows, allows you to adjust to your liking.
Any set of springs will match up nicely with the Yellows
Steeda plates (if you plan on running 1.5% camber or lower) I run ground control with -2.2 camber. MM plates are good but you have to reuse not only the spring isolator and bearings which are non sealed. Steeda use heavy duty bearing and are super quiet.
WL LCA relocation brackets
BMR PHB
Any LCA's will really work. I've tested just about every LCA out there and they all work like they should it just depends on whether or not you want billet.

Sorry to say this but for someone to recommend for you to stick with one brand is ignorant. I've tested just about every system out there, from Koni yellows to K/W clubsport coilovers. Do not skimp out on suspension.
jayman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Can you use BMR LCAs with the whiteline relo brackets? The WL brackets are $35 cheaper than the BMR brackets for some reason. Not that big of a deal but I'm curious nonetheless.

Lastly, if I was to do all of this (shocks/struts/springs and caster plates, UCA, LCAS/brackets, and adjustable panhard bar), what would be a fair price for installation?
Old 05-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Mm cc plates at LMR are less than 330 I think. That's with no discount.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Quote:
Can you use BMR LCAs with the whiteline relo brackets? The WL brackets are $35 cheaper than the BMR brackets for some reason. Not that big of a deal but I'm curious nonetheless.

Lastly, if I was to do all of this (shocks/struts/springs and caster plates, UCA, LCAS/brackets, and adjustable panhard bar), what would be a fair price for installation?
Go with the WL brackets, The BMR brackets are off a little when you go to the second and third hole., Not a big deal, Most people don't know even know there off. They have been that way forever.
racksteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Definitely koni strt. Don't do the J&M camber plates. Worth the extra money to go with the maximum motorsports caster camber plates. The J&M plates won't work without a specific piece off of the 05-10 struts. It is the spring perch and it is radically different between the 05-10 and 11+ years. To get this piece you have to buy the whole OEM strut assembly. Not worth it. The MM plates provide better adjustment. There is another member on here who went to do then same thing. You want the 2011-2014 MMCC plates.

Also pan hard bar is a must to get the rear axle aligned, you will have a higher chance of wheel hop after lowering the car so LCA plus relo brackets would be ideal, but not 100% needed. Might want to consider UCA plus mount though to fix your pinion angle. I would pass on the sway bars. The stock ones are plenty good.
This sounds familiar haha. I believe I'm the other member he's referring too. NoSympathy knows his stuff and saved me a ton of trouble, so def value his advice. As for the setup, i love mine so far. Koni str.t, steeda ultralites and the MM plates.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARfirefighter View Post

I got mine a couple of weeks ago from maximum motorsports. $370 shipped. Only place I could find them.
Exactly where i got mine as well. Only place i could find them. Everywhere else had them on back order until june-early july.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I'm installing the steeda c/c plates and tokico HP struts thus week.. Already have the k-springs

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT