3.55 vs 3.73 vs 3.31 Automatic - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-11-2014, 07:38 AM   #71
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
2013 Auto

Since we got this conversation going, is this differential removable.
What I mean is can you just pop the axles, drop the drive shaft and unbolt the whole "carrier", for lack of a better term, or must this be set up in the housing, much like a GM product.
I'm thinking if you can remove the differential, then I might purchase one from the junkyard and have it set up with 3:55's, then just swap then out for going to the strip.
That was my plan, but not sure about whether it is doable.
Thanks!
REG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Stick with the stock 3.15's. It's been proven time and time again with time slips gears aren't the answer. Will your car "feel" faster? Yes. But it won't be faster. Also with a good tune you'll be spinning with 3.15's all day. Adding a gear just exasperates the situation.
Thx for the input. Think a lot of it comes down to seeing "3.15" and how misleading/low it appears on paper. Since my car was bought for DD and not tracking, figured 3.55 would be a good compromise.

Coming from the V6 and going to 3.73 from 2.73...I was under the impression it would have the equivalent wow factor/effect on the GT. Makes a TON of sense on the V6, but not nearly as much on the current car it seems.
WileECoyoteGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyoteGT View Post
Thx for the input. Think a lot of it comes down to seeing "3.15" and how misleading/low it appears on paper.
This is 100% spot on. Too many guys get hung up on that number and assume Ford did it for gas mileage when it reality unlike previous years this automatic transmission has very steep gears. If you do the math out for the gearing in the transmission and the 3.15's you end up with a final ratio around 3.55-3.60.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2014, 05:37 PM   #74

[QUOTE=Rapinator126;2026955Depends on the setup. Rev auto cars that are auto are going 11.3. With stock converter. 4.10's full exhaust and a tune

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoIyoteGT View Post
From actual experience...not hearsay

I have a 2013 GT auto and the stock 3.15 gears. I decided against gearing and went with a really good tune instead for this mustang. If I feel the need to spin tires I can in first...and chirp them easily in 2nd. My 0-60 tracked twice under 4 secs. Have performance tires and high quality rear LCAs installed. On the fence going to 3.55.

I could option out of the aggressive tune for a steeper gear, but I probably wont for these reasons:

Steeper gears = higher revs at EVERY speed, dont just focus on highway. Higher RPMs = higher stress on your engine. May be minimal at lower speeds, but the reality is its higher.

MPGs decrease...anyone that claims otherwise is flat out lying, unless afterwards you just drive slower/steadier and dont realize it. 2013 GT gets 15 MPG city ..a loss of 1 or 2 miles per gallon on a % basis is HUGE. Then again we didnt buy our stangs for gas mileage did we?

If you have the Ford Racing gears installed by anyone other than Ford and go steeper beyond its supported track pack package (3.73), you have just voided the power train portion of the factory warantee. In PHX at least.

Its a tough call my friend...3.55 with my current tune (best tune Ive ever had, hands down) would spin my car in a flippin circle. So do I downgrade a tune for steeper gears and need to be tuned forever more for my car to function? - Theres no going safely back to stock afterwards for service(may not be a factor for some). My last mustang (V6) with steeper gears became 150% more fun drive...yes, I know I shouldn't talk v6 here. Then again... could always re-tune the GT with 3.55 and hope its better

Think I just made the decision harder! dammit!

Sent from my VS930 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jasowell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:08 AM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
This is 100% spot on. Too many guys get hung up on that number and assume Ford did it for gas mileage when it reality unlike previous years this automatic transmission has very steep gears. If you do the math out for the gearing in the transmission and the 3.15's you end up with a final ratio around 3.55-3.60.
Youve definitely done your homework, your earlier post got the ball rolling for me to verify the ratios. Good stuff.

Did an experiment today....changed my torque tune to a Bama race tune that was supposed to enhance further the intake mods and give a nice jump across the band. My low end suffered greatly...could not chirp the tires and I lost a good .5 off 0-60. Now if I thought this was my best tune option, I'd be buying steeper gears to make up for the loss on the low end..thinking all the while 3.15 is just too weak.

......for others on the fence
Moral of the story is, the right tune...especially one that enhances your cars true low end power with those stock 3.15s is really where you should focus your energies on. Bama makes a hybrid tune, its other tunes IMO dont compare for a performance guy.

Honestly...I still fight the need to buy steeper gears, but paying near a grand for parts and installation (dealer prices) with the inevitable worse MPG/higher revs and possibly not getting a performance jump. ... would kick my own ***!
WileECoyoteGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT