Just installed GT500 A/B's - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Just installed GT500 A/B's

The install wasn't too bad, I removed the rear hanger brackets along with my Flowmasters and dropped them as an assembly. I should have lowered the track bar bracket to make the install easier, but I managed. Jacking up the over axle pipe helped a lot. From start to finish was about 45 mins. I used a 13mm ratchet wrench, and my DeWalt cordless impact with a medium lenght extension. I haven't driven it yet, but startup was a good bit quieter, but on a quick rev it's still got some bark.
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #2

Give us some feedback !
Dineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I drove it this morning, it seems like it runs stronger. Maybe too little backpressure with the 1-chambers? On the 1-2 shift at WOT the tires broke loose and the car slid about 45* sideways. Before I'd have to turn taction control off for it to do that. The sound is just what I wanted, a low deep rumble, smooth and loud on acceleration, no bubble/rasp like before. Plus on a cold startup it doesn't sound like a top-fueler idling which I know my neighbor w/ babies will appreciate at 5:30 am.
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 02:47 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I love mine, perfect with longtubes!
Matt K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Those GT500s have done nothing to your car in the HP department but they sure sound good and make your right foot heavier. They are probably one of the best sounding exhausts when paired with LTs and a O/R mid pipe. After doing full exhaust my Roush sounded horrible so I switched them out for the GT500s and my neighbors were as happy as yours,lol. My only complaint is that they are just so damn heavy.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Those GT500s have done nothing to your car in the HP department but they sure sound good and make your right foot heavier. They are probably one of the best sounding exhausts when paired with LTs and a O/R mid pipe. After doing full exhaust my Roush sounded horrible so I switched them out for the GT500s and my neighbors were as happy as yours,lol. My only complaint is that they are just so damn heavy.
I finally got to hear Napoleon's GT500 a/b with the cat less pipe and they do sound good. Very deep and not terribly loud at idle.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
How is it when you go WOT? The GT exhaust is so disappointing, but most aftermarket ones are too loud for daily drivers.
Tmenzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

WOT is loud, but sounds good, not obnoxious. I can barely hear the exhaust while driving down the highway, but get the revs up and it talks.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I really love the sound of the GT500s on my 2012 GT Premium. At first I thought they were a bit too loud but now I think they just sound great.

My wife and I trade cars every Thursday so she takes the Stang. When she leaves the house I stop what I'm doing and listen to the sound of that beast driving away - makes me smile every time.
MarkJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Mark Jones: I do the same thing, when my wife leaves the house ,I make it a point to listen to her fire it up & drive away. Makes me feel all warm & fuzzy. I get lots of compliments on the sound, but that's not why I installed them. It's a personal , internal kind of thing. If you don't get this , then you your missing the point of driving a muscle car.
graystone2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by graystone2013 View Post
Mark Jones: I do the same thing, when my wife leaves the house ,I make it a point to listen to her fire it up & drive away. Makes me feel all warm & fuzzy. I get lots of compliments on the sound, but that's not why I installed them. It's a personal , internal kind of thing. If you don't get this , then you your missing the point of driving a muscle car.
You guys have balls for letting your wives drive these beasts lmao. I wouldn't let my fiance drive my car if i suddenly had a stroke while driving and needed to be rushed to the ER. Not after seeing the way she drives her civic anyway lol. I swear im changing brake pads on that thing more often than I change my oil. She is willing though, at the drop of a dime, to get on my R1 with me and go have some fun. So she's not all thaaaat bad hahaha
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:56 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
You guys have balls for letting your wives drive these beasts lmao. I wouldn't let my fiance drive my car if i suddenly had a stroke while driving and needed to be rushed to the ER. Not after seeing the way she drives her civic anyway lol. I swear im changing brake pads on that thing more often than I change my oil. She is willing though, at the drop of a dime, to get on my R1 with me and go have some fun. So she's not all thaaaat bad hahaha
I taught my wife to drive Manual Trans on my brand new 77 Firebird Formula 400 , when we were still dating. Lot's of fun cars since, mostly for her. Right now we (she) has a 2013 GT Premium with a manual. She loves the GT 500 AB's & MGW shifter. I got tired of wrestling her for the keys, so MY 2014 GT is on order. Don't under rate the gals in hot cars. I can think back to some hot chicks driving equally hot muscle cars back in the days of my "yout".
graystone2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
I finally got to hear Napoleon's GT500 a/b with the cat less pipe and they do sound good. Very deep and not terribly loud at idle.
Thanks! I love the way it sounds. I had the Roush ABs before and the one word I use to describe it is "obnoxious."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmenzz View Post
How is it when you go WOT? The GT exhaust is so disappointing, but most aftermarket ones are too loud for daily drivers.
GT500s are still very loud at WOT with an offroad midpipe. I'll try to get a better video sometime soon, but I'm sure there are dozens of them online.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I taught my wife to drive Manual Trans on my brand new 77 Firebird Formula 400 , when we were still dating. Lot's of fun cars since, mostly for her. Right now we (she) has a 2013 GT Premium with a manual. She loves the GT 500 AB's & MGW shifter. I got tired of wrestling her for the keys, so MY 2014 GT is on order. Don't under rate the gals in hot cars. I can think back to some hot chicks driving equally hot muscle cars back in the days of my "yout".
Thats awesome man. Mine loves the bike, but has absolutely no interest in the car. Although she does make me drive everywhere, so i think she secretly loves it haha.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 05-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
Thanks! I love the way it sounds. I had the Roush ABs before and the one word I use to describe it is "obnoxious."

GT500s are still very loud at WOT with an offroad midpipe. I'll try to get a better video sometime soon, but I'm sure there are dozens of them online.

While you are correct that there are dozens, finding a good one is another story haha.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post

<a href="
Old 05-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
What about with just the gt500 axle back alone? Is it even an upgrade in sound?
Yea they are about 15-20 decibels louder than stock when you're on the throttle. An increase of 10 dB is twice as loud, for reference.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What about with just the gt500 axle back alone? Is it even an upgrade in sound?
That's what I have on my 2012 GT. Deep, throaty sound that won't annoy the neighbors (except possibly on startup in the early mornings). Aggressive at WOT but not as much as some others. Definitely an upgrade to the factory mufflers.

Mark
MarkJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #19
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Yea the GT500's are very tame compared to most other options, but have a much better, deeper sound than stock without a doubt

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Yea the GT500's are very tame compared to most other options, but have a much better, deeper sound than stock without a doubt
Cool! Sounds like its worth it.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

Ya I remember back in 69 guys coming from everywhere to get ther *** spanked by my mom and her z28. I used to sit on the console and shift gears and push on her knee to go faster.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You guys have balls for letting your wives drive these beasts lmao.
Right, because women can't drive...
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #23
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
^ lol

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish View Post

My girlfriend is a terrible driver and even she knows not to drive my 5.0. But she loves it!
Old 05-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish View Post

Not saying all of them are.... But mine is.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
While you are correct that there are dozens, finding a good one is another story haha.
Indeed ... that is my video and I will be the first one to admit that it sucks a big hairy dong.

The hardest part about making a good video is finding someone to film it that comprehends what needs recorded and how. I've tried to give multiple people direction as to how to record an exhaust video that doesn't suck, but they always fail hard.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

On my daily commute I usually see a girl in a 2011? Shelby and sometimes another in a 2013 GT.
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT