Kansas Speedway- Fun! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-10-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Kansas Speedway- Fun!

So I got a pass to drive on the Kansas Speedway from work. Season ticket holders at the track can drive on the track. Supposed to keep it under 60 and there is a pace car. You get three laps, then you can go get back in line if you want. I kind of let my better judgement go, and passed some people. Hope I didn't make anyone mad. I sure had a blast! And I got some great pictures to boot!

Entering the track. You had to wind around the infield a bit to get to the starting point at pit road.

I like this picture a lot.

The GPS is very confused!

On pit road. Guy in front of me had a sweet ride.

Still waiting on pit road.

This is my new favorite picture.

Woo hoo! Awesome, even at the lower speeds that they allowed.

I went a couple more times. It was after dark on the last time.

I don't know if those are high numbers or not. I do know that the accelerometer data says I had a good time.

"The Devil is in the details, but so is salvation." - Admiral Hyman G. Rickover
CraneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 12:11 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
That looks like fun! I know some other guys here went to Kentucky speedway and drove on it. I forgot to ask if they were allowed to gun it or not. I missed out from a jacked up tire and not wanting to blow out on it but definitely doing it with them next time!
Old 05-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Technically no, you aren't supposed to gun it. You also weren't supposed to pass anyone. But nobody stopped me when I did both. The road was so VERY smooth, and it just felt right to go fast. Above 80 mph it almost felt like the car was steering itself around the turns.

The scariest thing was actually very low speeds. On the last lap I was at the end of a line of cars filtering off the track. There were cones to keep people off the flat spots at the bottom of the bank. So I was putting along at 10 mph on a pretty steep side slope. I was leaning to the right praying I didn't tumble down the hill or something.

If you ever get the chance to drive on a NASCAR track, for God's sake do it. Even at low speeds allowed by the rules it was fun. Passing two buddies on a banked curve was magnificent. I also got to see some sweet Mustangs, a Maserati, a Lamborghini, and a bunch of other bad a** cars. Plus I got some good pictures!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
I live in Olathe Ks !!!! I would love to do that, but I don't think I could keep it under 60mph!!! I would have to open her up!!!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraneGuy View Post
Technically no, you aren't supposed to gun it. You also weren't supposed to pass anyone. But nobody stopped me when I did both. The road was so VERY smooth, and it just felt right to go fast. Above 80 mph it almost felt like the car was steering itself around the turns.

The scariest thing was actually very low speeds. On the last lap I was at the end of a line of cars filtering off the track. There were cones to keep people off the flat spots at the bottom of the bank. So I was putting along at 10 mph on a pretty steep side slope. I was leaning to the right praying I didn't tumble down the hill or something.

If you ever get the chance to drive on a NASCAR track, for God's sake do it. Even at low speeds allowed by the rules it was fun. Passing two buddies on a banked curve was magnificent. I also got to see some sweet Mustangs, a Maserati, a Lamborghini, and a bunch of other bad a** cars. Plus I got some good pictures!
Well I was hanging out with some of the guys who drove on Kentucky speedway yesterday and was told they were doing 140. So I am pretty sure I am going to be going there soon.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominkc View Post
I live in Olathe Ks !!!! I would love to do that, but I don't think I could keep it under 60mph!!! I would have to open her up!!!!
I'll try to remember to get more passes from my employer next year. Planning to join my local Mustang club. Might be able to raffle passes for charity or something. I think most of them went to waste this year. It would be fun to play "spot the club member" in a crowd.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Well I was hanging out with some of the guys who drove on Kentucky speedway yesterday and was told they were doing 140. So I am pretty sure I am going to be going there soon.
Dauuum. 140mph I might have to make the hour an half drive for that. I wouldn't give 2 cents to go around Indy again.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraneGuy View Post

I'll try to remember to get more passes from my employer next year. Planning to join my local Mustang club. Might be able to raffle passes for charity or something. I think most of them went to waste this year. It would be fun to play "spot the club member" in a crowd.
That's a great idea!! I'm a member of the Greater Kansas City Mustang Club!! They would love to drive on the Kansas Speedway!!!
Old 05-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominkc View Post

That's a great idea!! I'm a member of the Greater Kansas City Mustang Club!! They would love to drive on the Kansas Speedway!!!
That's the one. Met a fella' named Tom last night at the cruise. Not sure if you're the same guy, and I don't want to post anyone's full name. He's an excellent ambassador for the club.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:50 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

No that wasn't me!! I didn't make it to this one!! But there are alot of great guys in the club!! You would really like it!! They have alot of great events!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT