Relocating brackets!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
Relocating brackets!!

Has anyone else heard about that there are some people with relocating brackets on there cars and are havering problems with the axle being off by .05". The axle is being pulled off center, something like they are bending and causing the axle to be pulled foreword on the driver side!! I came across a forum about this and alot of people are having this problem!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominkc View Post
Has anyone else heard about that there are some people with relocating brackets on there cars and are havering problems with the axle being off by .05". The axle is being pulled off center, something like they are bending and causing the axle to be pulled foreword on the driver side!! I came across a forum about this and alot of people are having this problem!!
I've heard this going around but only just recently as in the past monthish or so. Makes me wonder how true it really is since relocation brackets have been available for far longer. That or people really were not speaking up about this. I'll measure again but I did measure mine when I heard about this and my axle wasn't further forward on one side than the other beyond what could be considered margin of error. Which ironically I would say .05"

If the rear axle can be off sideways by 1/4" with no ill affects one side being .05" forward than the other is just silly and probably causes 0 adverse affects.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

There's a forum on. SVT PERFORMANCE.com! Check the one ... ATTENTION ALL RELOCATING BRACKET USERS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
I've heard this going around but only just recently as in the past monthish or so. Makes me wonder how true it really is since relocation brackets have been available for far longer. That or people really were not speaking up about this. I'll measure again but I did measure mine when I heard about this and my axle wasn't further forward on one side than the other beyond what could be considered margin of error. Which ironically I would say .05"

If the rear axle can be off sideways by 1/4" with no ill affects one side being .05" forward than the other is just silly and probably causes 0 adverse affects.
Its been around for a very long time. With BMR brackets,when the 2-3 hole are used.

adjustable lca or pull the brackets back and weld them in place. Fix the issue.

Its not a big deal but I will get an adjustable LCA to correct my car as i use the 2 hole.

nosympathy you use the first hole right?

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominkc View Post
There's a forum on. SVT PERFORMANCE.com! Check the one ... ATTENTION ALL RELOCATING BRACKET USERS!!!
dude you know you could just post a link right
racksteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by racksteris View Post
Its been around for a very long time. With BMR brackets,when the 2-3 hole are used.

Its not a big deal but I will get an adjustable LCA to correct my car as i use the 2 hole.

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

well reading that site it is interesting. I'll have to measure again and see. One guy had a good point. Measuring from center cap of back wheels to front wheels are the same distance and measuring as many guys in the thread are and from the tire to the wheel well is off. If that true there is a bigger issue than how it sits in the wheel well.

So I dunno.

I use the very bottom hole. Because I am lowered to hell and back and had too.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
well reading that site it is interesting. I'll have to measure again and see. One guy had a good point. Measuring from center cap of back wheels to front wheels are the same distance and measuring as many guys in the thread are and from the tire to the wheel well is off. If that true there is a bigger issue than how it sits in the wheel well.

So I dunno.

I use the very bottom hole. Because I am lowered to hell and back and had too.

I have when to bmr on there lift, we changed the brackets out same thing.. . we feel its the panhard bar pulling the axle when the cars are lower. there not going to change the brackets or do anything about it.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

intersting. I mean people have been running them for years and how many people can honestly say it has caused problems? I'd never heard of it until that post from about a month ago. People have been using their relo brackets since 2010ish?
Old 05-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
intersting. I mean people have been running them for years and how many people can honestly say it has caused problems? I'd never heard of it until that post from about a month ago. People have been using their relo brackets since 2010ish?
From what I was told only a couple guys could not use the brackets and a few guy had the cars pulling. dogtrack

the relocation brackets can cause you to twist your axle tube. They know this also.

if your on the 3 hold I suggest you weld you axle tubes. I did when I had my gears done.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I was just wondering if anyone here had any problems! I myself haven't noticed anything out of wack!! But I only Lowered my 1" in the rear!!
Old 05-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #10
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
I just checked mine out Friday because I thought I saw an issue, but I took a couple of measurements and I didn't see any problems with mine.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I don't use my phone enough to know how to post links here in this forum!! But hay, I got the question out there so I can get answers!! Lol
Old 05-14-2013, 11:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Mine is .5" forward on the Drivers side. UMI relos.
fun4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Driver side is .5" forward on mine. This is why adj LCA's are available.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman33 View Post
Driver side is .5" forward on mine. This is why adj LCA's are available.
Which relos? WL?
Old 05-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Roger, using WL but honestly I really do think lowering as much as ive done affected it some. But this is a reason adj lcas are available, this is actually a pretty common issue with any brand LCAs.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman33 View Post
Roger, using WL but honestly I really do think lowering as much as ive done affected it some. But this is a reason adj lcas are available, this is actually a pretty common issue with any brand LCAs.
The only relo that doesnt seem to have this problem is the 302s relo.
I just went to a mustang meet w/ over 50 s197's and almost all of them that had relos had a extra finger gap on the pass side. The thing w/ the 302s relo, is it looks like it should really be welded in.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun4me View Post
The only relo that doesnt seem to have this problem is the 302s relo.
I just went to a mustang meet w/ over 50 s197's and almost all of them that had relos had a extra finger gap on the pass side. The thing w/ the 302s relo, is it looks like it should really be welded in.
BMR are the only ones I would even consider running without welding.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
BMR are the only ones I would even consider running without welding.
Those are the ones that are .5" off. As well as everybody that copied their design, i.e umi, sphoon, wl.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Those are the ones that are .5" off. As well as everybody that copied their design, i.e umi, sphoon, wl.
I don't think welding vs not welding would cause or prevent the axle shift. I'm just not convinced anything else attaches securely enough to not be welded.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
I don't think welding vs not welding would cause or prevent the axle shift. I'm just not convinced anything else attaches securely enough to not be welded.
HUH?

BTW, Kelly from BMR just posted on svtp that the brackets are being redesigned....Contact him if you want a proper passenger side bracket.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
HUH?

BTW, Kelly from BMR just posted on svtp that the brackets are being redesigned....Contact him if you want a proper passenger side bracket.
Are they doing this for free for people who already have them?
Old 05-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sounds like a question for Kelly@BMR.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sounds like a question for Kelly@BMR.
I didn't know if they said. I am sure they won't. I'll still give them a shout and see.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #24
Road Trip!

They should replace it for free. They knew about this for a long time.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
thats what I am thinking.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:58 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I agree, but the problem is, proof of purchase. Unless you bought them through BMR and have a receipt to prove that, I doubt you'll be getting a replacement. I can almost gaurentee that they're not going to replace all the ones that were purchased used or by vendors. The only distributer that may offer some kind of deal on exchange may be AM.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Quote:
We will see, but they just redesigned their 5.0 k-member as well and introduced some new bracing (think it replaces the Z brace) that is now required to use with the new one. Makes me wonder why, and what issue there is/was/could be with the one I have. I haven't really been able to get a clear answer, all I'm being told is the changes are mostly cosmetic but you can see some things have changed (namely the location of the motor mounts).

New K-member design

Old K-member design

New "required" brace

I do like BMR and their products, but I feel like I'm not always getting the whole story when I talk to them. I chose their relocation brackets solely because they offer more adjustment than the competing brands offerings.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:17 AM   #28
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like their new k-member doesn't even necessarily move the motor mounts horizontally in any direction, but it does look as thought the deck that the motor mounts sit on is bigger and may be about a half inch higher. I'm not sure what purpose that serves but I have heard of people having issues installing long tubes with the BMR k-member due to the motor sitting slightly lower and closer to the k member itself, and then rubbing or hitting the k member... At least I think I remember that lol

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 05-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Unless I'm missing something, it looks like their new k-member doesn't even necessarily move the motor mounts horizontally in any direction, but it does look as thought the deck that the motor mounts sit on is bigger and may be about a half inch higher. I'm not sure what purpose that serves but I have heard of people having issues installing long tubes with the BMR k-member due to the motor sitting slightly lower and closer to the k member itself, and then rubbing or hitting the k member... At least I think I remember that lol
That's interesting ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRTech
This one drops the engine down approximately 1/2".

If you compare this one to the standard KM018 that we offer for 2011+ Mustangs, you will also notice that the engine mount plates are changed. This K-Member features lighter engine mount plates that are more rigid than the previous design, and provide more clearance. Those changed mount plates also allow the user to install the engine mounts in less time (easier), as well as provide the end user with more options for turbo piping, due to clearance.

The gusseting on the rear support brace has changed too. The KM020 comes standard with the plate style gusseting, that allows for most aftermarket Turbo Systems to clear without having to modify.

This KM020 is the same K-Member that comes standard on the Shelby 1000. We actually designed it for that car.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #30
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Clearly I was thinking of something else lol, or I'm just stupid this morning... Need moar coffee!

Edit: after rereading it does say that it offers more clearance for "stuff"... Maybe I'm not so far off

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Clearly I was thinking of something else lol, or I'm just stupid this morning... Need moar coffee!

Edit: after rereading it does say that it offers more clearance for "stuff"... Maybe I'm not so far off
I wasn't trying to call you out - just BMR can be a bit unclear some times. I feel like you kinda have to know what questions to ask to get all the info =\

Anyways - sorry for the derail, back to relocation brackets.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT