Thoughts on shocks/struts - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I have H&R Super Sports on my 2011 (1.7F/2.5R) and I was wondering what kind of shocks/struts would go best with these. I'm not looking to be breaking the bank, but these have been on the car for almost a year and I feel it's time to replace the shocks and struts. I would sure love to benefit from some of you all's experience.
Mod List: H&R Super Sport Springs, Eibach Camber Bolts, Steeda Panhard Bar, BBK Cold Air Intake, Stack Racing Chrome Strut Tower Bar, Boss 302 Coil Pack Covers, Barton Shifter, Barton 2 Post Bracket, 4.10 Gear, 2013 Track Pack Wheels, QA1 Single Adjustable Rear Shocks, Roush Axle-back exhaust, CDC Chin Spoiler, Saleen Grille,
Defiant 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant 5.0 View Post
I have H&R Super Sports on my 2011 (1.7F/2.5R) and I was wondering what kind of shocks/struts would go best with these. I'm not looking to be breaking the bank, but these have been on the car for almost a year and I feel it's time to replace the shocks and struts. I would sure love to benefit from some of you all's experience.
I love my koni str.ts. Excellent ride, and very affordable. Im only lowered about 1.5" though, so im not sure how they would handle a bigger drop. I believe nosympathy has that large of a drop and is running the str.ts as well, so hopefully he will chime in.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
STR.Ts are good, but the Yellows/Sports are better. It all depends on your budget and what you want to do with the car.
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

She's not a track car, but I want something that will respond better to potholes and speed bumps/humps.
Mod List: H&R Super Sport Springs, Eibach Camber Bolts, Steeda Panhard Bar, BBK Cold Air Intake, Stack Racing Chrome Strut Tower Bar, Boss 302 Coil Pack Covers, Barton Shifter, Barton 2 Post Bracket, 4.10 Gear, 2013 Track Pack Wheels, QA1 Single Adjustable Rear Shocks, Roush Axle-back exhaust, CDC Chin Spoiler, Saleen Grille,
Old 05-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
There are a few of us on here running the strt and we all love them, for the money on a street car you cannot beat them

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
There are a few of us on here running the strt and we all love them, for the money on a street car you cannot beat them
Me specifically with the H&R SS springs.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
+1. Haven't had mine on as long as these guys have, but am definitely loving them so far. Ride quality is perfect for the street.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 05-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
What made you guys go this route compared to coilovers? I was thinking the same until a buddy of mine kept insisting I get coilovers instead, been eyeing the kw v3's (do not mean to thread jack, just want opinions without starting a thread)
Sharkkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkkk View Post
What made you guys go this route compared to coilovers? I was thinking the same until a buddy of mine kept insisting I get coilovers instead, been eyeing the kw v3's (do not mean to thread jack, just want opinions without starting a thread)
Coilovers are great, but for me, the price, especially for a beautiful set like the kw v3s, were way out of my price range. I also have no need or time for the adjustability options. Hence the reason i even went with a non-adjustable shock. I just dont have the time to jack my car up and make adjustments all the time, nor do ever track the car (besides the 1/4 mile). So personally i choose to take the money saved and put it towards other needed parts like my camber plates and panhard bar. I will also be ordering lcas, a uca, and brackets very soon. It takes a lot to PROPERLY lower these cars, some parts being more important than others, so i choose to do it all right instead of spending my budget all on one piece.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
Coilovers are great, but for me, the price, especially for a beautiful set like the kw v3s, were way out of my price range. I also have no need or time for the adjustability options. Hence the reason i even went with a non-adjustable shock. I just dont have the time to jack my car up and make adjustments all the time, nor do ever track the car (besides the 1/4 mile). So personally i choose to take the money saved and put it towards other needed parts like my camber plates and panhard bar. I will also be ordering lcas, a uca, and brackets very soon. It takes a lot to PROPERLY lower these cars, some parts being more important than others, so i choose to do it all right instead of spending my budget all on one piece.
I know what you mean when it comes to $ man. And my list of parts needed just to lower it properly like you said is quite extensive already haha front back sway bars, ucas lcas, panhard bar etc etc. But if you want to do it properly, why not save up a bit more for coilovers? At least that's the discussion in my mind, still debating which way to go before I go crazy and order all the parts. Is the ride difference that big between springs+shocks/struts compared to coilovers? Previous car was lowered on springs only and the ride was harsh as hell. Literally knock a couple teeths out going over potholes!
Sharkkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I know what you mean when it comes to $ man. And my list of parts needed just to lower it properly like you said is quite extensive already haha front back sway bars, ucas lcas, panhard bar etc etc. But if you want to do it properly, why not save up a bit more for coilovers? At least that's the discussion in my mind, still debating which way to go before I go crazy and order all the parts. Is the ride difference that big between springs+shocks/struts compared to coilovers? Previous car was lowered on springs only and the ride was harsh as hell. Literally knock a couple teeths out going over potholes!
Honestly i wouldn't even bother with sway bars. The stock ones are pretty damn good, so unless your going to be tracking the car a lot, and want to go with maybe an adjustable set, id skip it for now. Swaybars would probably rank last on my list for suspension right now. As for the ride, it all depends on what dampeners you have. A lowered car, with stock dampeners is going to ride like crap, period. Your stock dampeners were made with comfortability in mind, not performance. But with a good setup you barely even notice a difference. I personally LOVE the way my car rides now. Not harsh at all, but firm, and feels the way a car like this should. Especially if you were to spend a couple extra bucks to go with an adjustable dampener to be able to taylor it to your liking. Not trying to bash coilovers at all, because hey if i was rich, i would have definitely went that route. But the biggest difference with a coilover setup is the ride height adjustability, which like i said before I really have no time/need for.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I agree with above post, sway bars are the last thing I would do to my suspension and with a good set of damper body roll will be minimal on the street. Dampers are the most important mod to the suspension.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman33 View Post
I agree with above post, sway bars are the last thing I would do to my suspension and with a good set of damper body roll will be minimal on the street. Dampers are the most important mod to the suspension.
Exactly
Old 05-14-2013, 01:21 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I had Ground Control coilovers way back when on my Honda Prelude...way different animal, but the guy I bought it from actually owned turbokits.com, and was starting to build it as a track car for the business, then got engaged and had to sell everything. I never tracked it, and because of that, never adjusted a single thing on the suspension. It sat at the perfect height, was a little rough, but nothing harsh or intolerable...at least from what I remember, it was like 6 years ago haha. I also wouldn't bother with coilovers unless you're tracking. I think most of us just really want the wheel gap closed and a comfortable ride, because I think any aftermarket setup is going to give some kind of performance bump. I know I'm definitely looking to keep the ride quality as close to stock as I can when I do mine. Good luck!
DeJoe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
For me it was two things.
  1. Cost - a proper coilover setup can cost thousands, while good spring/shock/strut setup costs hundreds.
  2. Diminishing returns - I don't have enough driver mod (and most of us don't if we're honest) to take advantage of the benefits coilovers provide. Also, if you're at the point where you need to put coilovers on you are probably considering upgrading the rest of the suspension with things like spherical bushings, adding a watts link, etc - and much of this adds massive NVH and reduces streetability.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I may be a Guiana pig here but I'm going with these 11 way Adj from Strange Eng. $90 each ill post if I like them of not next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1967877014.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	108467  
Blu13stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #17
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

I believe strange specializes in street/strip (emphasis on strip) with the dampers, not at all unusable on the street though. Let us know how it works

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 05-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu13stang View Post
I may be a Guiana pig here but I'm going with these 11 way Adj from Strange Eng. $90 each ill post if I like them of not next week.
Definitely let us know how they hold up. I've heard really good things about Strange products!
Old 05-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I believe strange specializes in street/strip (emphasis on strip) with the dampers, not at all unusable on the street though. Let us know how it works
I would say they're as appropriate for the street as drag radials are. Sure, they work - but not my #1 pick for something that spends more time turning than launching.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I think I'm going to get the STR.T's.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
+111111111111
Old 05-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
You may be waiting a while.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman33 View Post

You may be waiting a while.
That's ok. I'm not in a hurry. The Koni Yellows sound sick too, but are sadly not in my budget. The STR.T's aren't either, but I are a couple hundred closer to the mark lol.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:52 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:

Definitely let us know how they hold up. I've heard really good things about Strange products!
Got these on last night & truthfully could not be happier, easy to adjust the knob with your fingers, so when I go to the track I can easily give them 2-3 clicks firmer to plant the tires. And the setting they are on (4). The car really seemed to take a bump now , railroad tracks seemed like they wernt even there. I'm headed to Dallas this morning & may stop a couple times to try different settings. Love these so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3251938963.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	108820  
Blu13stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #25
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu13stang View Post

Got these on last night & truthfully could not be happier, easy to adjust the knob with your fingers, so when I go to the track I can easily give them 2-3 clicks firmer to plant the tires. And the setting they are on (4). The car really seemed to take a bump now , railroad tracks seemed like they wernt even there. I'm headed to Dallas this morning & may stop a couple times to try different settings. Love these so far.
The strange shocks are designed to help with weight transfer on launch, and actually it helps to put them on full soft. Putting them in full soft allows all the weight to quickly and easily transfer to the rear for better traction with the rear tires. So when going to the track make sure they're in full soft not full hard

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 05-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:

The strange shocks are designed to help with weight transfer on launch, and actually it helps to put them on full soft. Putting them in full soft allows all the weight to quickly and easily transfer to the rear for better traction with the rear tires. So when going to the track make sure they're in full soft not full hard
What he said. You want it soft on the rear.
Davey13GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I've had better results w full soft front, full stiff rear
Old 05-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's ok. I'm not in a hurry. The Koni Yellows sound sick too, but are sadly not in my budget. The STR.T's aren't either, but I are a couple hundred closer to the mark lol.
Check out Maximum Motorsports. Thats where I got mine from a month or so ago. Hopefully they still have them in stock, because they are on back order everywhere else.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT