Right Rear Squeaking After Lowering - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Right Rear Squeaking After Lowering

My car has been lowered for about two weeks now. I changed springs, shocks, struts, and my panhard rod. There is a fairly loud squeaking type sound coming from the right rear when I go over bumps or any generally not smooth pavement. At first I thought it was the panhard rod not being greased sufficiently, so I took it out, greased it up really well, put it back in and the squeaking is no better. Any ideas as to what I should try doing? If I stand over the car and bounce the suspension I can hear the squeak.

I can hear it over the radio at times, so turning it up is not an option
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
It could be an exhaust bushing. You're closer to the ground so you'd hear it better.
Mod List: H&R Super Sport Springs, Eibach Camber Bolts, Steeda Panhard Bar, BBK Cold Air Intake, Stack Racing Chrome Strut Tower Bar, Boss 302 Coil Pack Covers, Barton Shifter, Barton 2 Post Bracket, 4.10 Gear, 2013 Track Pack Wheels, QA1 Single Adjustable Rear Shocks, Roush Axle-back exhaust, CDC Chin Spoiler, Saleen Grille,
Defiant 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
My car has been lowered for about two weeks now. I changed springs, shocks, struts, and my panhard rod. There is a fairly loud squeaking type sound coming from the right rear when I go over bumps or any generally not smooth pavement. At first I thought it was the panhard rod not being greased sufficiently, so I took it out, greased it up really well, put it back in and the squeaking is no better. Any ideas as to what I should try doing? If I stand over the car and bounce the suspension I can hear the squeak.

I can hear it over the radio at times, so turning it up is not an option
Mine does the same thing now. From the drivers side. Not quite as loud as you are describing though, but definitely noticeable with windows up and radio off. As well as pushing the rear up and down. I was thinking it could just be the polyurethane bushings from my new panhard bar.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant 5.0 View Post
It could be an exhaust bushing. You're closer to the ground so you'd hear it better.
Are you talking about the bushings on the hangers for the axle backs? I could try lubing those up. I did notice one of them has a good tear in it already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
Mine does the same thing now. From the drivers side. Not quite as loud as you are describing though, but definitely noticeable with windows up and radio off. As well as pushing the rear up and down. I was thinking it could just be the polyurethane bushings from my new panhard bar.
Most people seem to say the bushings should be quiet as long as you've greased them, or at least barely noticeable. I'm desperate though it's loud enough to the point you know people outside can hear it. It makes the car sound cheap.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I did grease the bushings, so im going to assume its not the panhard bar then. wow, my noise is not nearly that loud but sounds almost identical to the way you're descibing your problem. Just not as severe. What kind of springs and shocks did you install? Mine are the steeda ultralites and koni str.t shocks.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 05-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Eibach pro kit shocks/struts/springs. I didn't have an impact gun for the install so the only thing I can think that it'd possibly be is the nut at the top of the shock not being tight one we put the wheels back on the ground. Possibly the exhaust bushings based on what Defiant said.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Eibach pro kit shocks/struts/springs. I didn't have an impact gun for the install so the only thing I can think that it'd possibly be is the nut at the top of the shock not being tight one we put the wheels back on the ground. Possibly the exhaust bushings based on what Defiant said.
The top nut is the first thing i checked on mine. I used an impact gun for the install, so they were tight. As well as the bottom shock nut. Have you made sure your spring perch is still intact?
Old 05-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The top nut is the first thing i checked on mine. I used an impact gun for the install, so they were tight. As well as the bottom shock nut. Have you made sure your spring perch is still intact?
Yea they looked fine during install.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
You definitely shouldn't use an impact gun on the shock mount. The torque spec is basically "wrist tight."
Old 05-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
You definitely shouldn't use an impact gun on the shock mount. The torque spec is basically "wrist tight."
So you think my problem is that they are to tight? I didnt make them extremely tight, just tight enought to were the little rubber seal expanded.

I will try losening them a bit tomorrow and see if that helps. They are easy enough to get to, so might as well try it
Old 05-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah they are like 25-30 ft-lbs which isn't much.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Yeah they are like 25-30 ft-lbs which isn't much.
Ok cool. Ill try losening them up abit tomorrow and report back whether it helped or not.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok cool. Ill try losening them up abit tomorrow and report back whether it helped or not.
You might need to replace them. Not sure about yours but my instructions were very clear to be careful not to squish the mounts.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You might need to replace them. Not sure about yours but my instructions were very clear to be careful not to squish the mounts.
Damn, any idea where i can get those? Think an auto parts store or ford will carry them?

I cant find them anywhere online. But i could be searching using the wrong wording. Only bit of info i could find was to make sure the rubber bushing does not expand further out than the washer.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Heres how it looks now. It was a little tigher then it probably should have been. So i backed it off a few turns. It is now hand tight, and the rubber stays within the washer. Does it look about right?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130514_121639.png
Views:	397
Size:	529.8 KB
ID:	108063
Old 05-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Heres how it looks now. It was a little tigher then it probably should have been. So i backed it off a few turns. It is now hand tight, and the rubber stays within the washer. Does it look about right?

Attachment 108063
This is what I did when I lowered mine. Just don't over tighten and leave the rubber some room to pact and expand. Once rubber is over tightened it will rub with the body plate and produces squeaking sound instead of absorbing the vibration.
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post

This is what I did when I lowered mine. Just don't over tighten and leave the rubber some room to pact and expand. Once rubber is over tightened it will rub with the body plate and produces squeaking sound instead of absorbing the vibration.
Does mine still look to tight?
Old 05-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I untighten mine gradually until the squeak was gone. Basically, tuning process instead of following the recommended torque. The Koni shocks that I installed has lock washer between the washer that holds the rubber in place and the nut, so I'm somewhat confident that it will hold the nut in place.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

25-30 ft pounds would be, grabbing a 1/2" drive ratchet close to the head and giving it a firm twist if you don't have a torque wrench .
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah ive heard that some shocks come with new ones, and others dont. Unfortunately the strt didnt. Im just worried that if i leave it to loose it will back out on me.

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

25-30 ft pounds would be, grabbing a 1/2" drive ratchet close to the head and giving it a firm twist if you don't have a torque wrench .
Ok thanks for the comparison. Dont have a torque wrench handy right now.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Here is what mine looks like. Probably needs more greasing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	776.1 KB
ID:	108076  
Old 05-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Here is what mine looks like. Probably needs more greasing.
Are you supposed to grease them?

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Quote:
I untighten mine gradually until the squeak was gone. Basically, tuning process instead of following the recommended torque. The Koni shocks that I installed has lock washer between the washer that holds the rubber in place and the nut, so I'm somewhat confident that it will hold the nut in place.
So the source of your squeaking was the shock nuts being too tight?
Old 05-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Just to keep little moist on the rubber and prevent drying up.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So the source of your squeaking was the shock nuts being too tight?

This is what I did in mine and it fixed my issue.. It maybe different in your case, but you can try this and it may work in your car as well.

Btw, am not suppose to be in this thread, mine is just a sixer. Just thought I could share something.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

This is what I did in mine and it fixed my issue.. It maybe different in your case, but you can try this and it may work in your car as well.

Btw, am not suppose to be in this thread, mine is just a sixer. Just thought I could share something.
Are those the stock ones? Or did your shocks come with a new set? If those are stock, then mine are way to damn tight.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

It came with the shocks. Koni has different thread size and diameter than the stock.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It came with the shocks. Koni has different thread size and diameter than the stock.
Yeah unfortunately the koni strts dont come with new ones. The threads are the same as stock. Anybody got a picture of some stock ones for comparison?
Old 05-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah unfortunately the koni strts dont come with new ones. The threads are the same as stock. Anybody got a picture of some stock ones for comparison?
My Koni came with the mount. The stock did not fit to the Koni. When I installed mine, I thought of re-using the stock mount but it did not fit. The stock mount appears to be better quality than Koni's just by sight comparison. As for the dursbility, it maybe otherwise.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My Koni came with the mount. The stock did not fit to the Koni. When I installed mine, I thought of re-using the stock mount but it did not fit. The stock mount appears to be better quality than Koni's just by sight comparison. As for the dursbility, it maybe otherwise.
What koni shocks do you have though? Ive heard the sports come with new ones, but everyone ive talked to with strts didn't get new ones, and reused the stockers.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Adjustable Sports yellow
Old 05-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Adjustable Sports yellow
Yeah thats what i thought, its a different bushing. Thanks for the pic tho. Hopefully somebody with a stock one will post up a pic for comparison.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I also sometimes have an annoying squeak In the rear when the car bounces a little.
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I'm starting to think it's more of a metal on metal contact I'm having, but I have no idea what why or how? Sometimes I can hear the sound when I bounce the suspension, sometimes I can't. Sometimes it goes on constantly and loudly a whole trip, sometimes it doesn't make a sound.. It's not weather dependent that I can tell.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
I'm starting to think it's more of a metal on metal contact I'm having, but I have no idea what why or how? Sometimes I can hear the sound when I bounce the suspension, sometimes I can't. Sometimes it goes on constantly and loudly a whole trip, sometimes it doesn't make a sound.. It's not weather dependent that I can tell.
Check the exhaust where it goes over the axle.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

Check the exhaust where it goes over the axle.
Yep I had mine touching the spare tire wheel well at one point and was making a horrendous noise.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT