2013-2014 Mustang 5.0 Hood Scoop - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
2013-2014 Mustang 5.0 Hood Scoop

Ive been thinking about getting a Hood Scoop for my Mustang from Roush. You can get them already painted for $475 with free shipping, thats kinda steep but not so sure about having it painted around where I live. I think that after I have to buy a pint or quart of GHIG paint that it will cost me more in the long run.

If anyone has one how difficult was the installation? How is the quality?

And there is also another company that sells them and they are the same exact style but not a "Ford" part but they require no drilling, only stick on, does anyone have one of these and whats the risk of it blowing off the hood?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HOODSCCOP.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	108276  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Installation was a breeze. Take it step by step and follow the detailed instructions. Do not buy one that you don't have to drill and bolt on. The roush has both the bolts and double sided tape. And if you can buy it from roush prepainted now, do it. It will match perfectly. You'd probably be looking at 150-200 to get it painted. It needs quite a bit of prep, it come pretty rough around the edges from the mold process and its not even primed. I had my painted at a body shop and me and the wife installed the scoop in about 2-3 hours, taking our time with the proper tools and following each step to perfection. It came out great.

The most important things are you need a step drill/uni-bit, a 7/8" hole saw for metal, center punch, touch up paint or clear, and take your time cutting out and getting the template lined up. Get some help to hold a vacuum while your drilling to collect the shavings. Makes for a easier clean up and protects your paint. If you have anymore questions, just ask. Good luck!

I know it's sounds like a lot of work, and it is pricey for something that's nonfunctional. But it's worth it to me, it looks great

Check out my thread:
Did Some Major Changes over the past Weeks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2325694661.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	108277   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3332096809.jpg
Views:	1162
Size:	461.2 KB
ID:	108291  

Old 05-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
Installation was a breeze. Take it step by step and follow the detailed instructions. Do not buy one that you don't have to drill and bolt on. The roush has both the bolts and double sided tape. And if you can buy it from roush prepainted now, do it. It will match perfectly. You'd probably be looking at 150-200 to get it painted. It needs quite a bit of prep, it come pretty rough around the edges from the mold process and its not even primed. I had my painted at a body shop and me and the wife installed the scoop in about 2-3 hours, taking our time with the proper tools and following each step to perfection. It came out great.

The most important things are you need a step drill/uni-bit, a 7/8" hole saw for metal, center punch, touch up paint or clear, and take your time cutting out and getting the template lined up. Get some help to hold a vacuum while your drilling to collect the shavings. Makes for a easier clean up and protects your paint. If you have anymore questions, just ask. Good luck!

I know it's sounds like a lot of work, and it is pricey for something that's nonfunctional. But it's worth it to me, it looks great

Check out my thread:
Did Some Major Changes over the past Weeks!

Yep I saw your thread before I posted mine....Your Mustang looks great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Its funny how we hate on thericers for bigwings and body kits, yet we have non functional scoops and louvers. Just saying, but i dont think the 13-14 scoop looks as aggressive as the past ones. But to each his own.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHGUTS View Post
Its funny how we hate on thericers for bigwings and body kits, yet we have non functional scoops and louvers. Just saying, but i dont think the 13-14 scoop looks as aggressive as the past ones. But to each his own.
Yeah but this is a mustang not rice at all. Rice is a car that looks fast but as little to no performance at all. Rice just looks straight ugly, and the hood scoop on that beautiful dark gray mustang does not look rice to me.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeast0712 View Post

Yeah but this is a mustang not rice at all. Rice is a car that looks fast but as little to no performance at all. Rice just looks straight ugly, and the hood scoop on that beautiful dark gray mustang does not look rice to me.
+1
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 05-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
These mods with this involved scares the hell out of me. I'm always trying to rush things. LOL It looks Awesome man!!!!
Old 05-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengnd View Post
These mods with this involved scares the hell out of me. I'm always trying to rush things. LOL It looks Awesome man!!!!
Im scared to death to but it comes with a template and from the looks of it we arent talking brain surgery here, the only other thing I wanna do to the outside of my 5.0 is the GT500 rear spoiler, I think with the hood scoop and that rear spoiler would really set my 5.0 off....
Old 05-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

Don't tell him that. He prefers a riced out Honda over the stang.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Ouch.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Dang man car looks great! I think the scoop functional or not really makes the front end look mean!
Old 05-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ouch.
Lol he said it not me.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No, the stang isnt rice. I wasnt saying that. I was just sayin anything thats non functional is rice to ME.

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

Quote:
Yes i prefer a honda over a stang any given day. Reason being it handles millions times better, you can beat it balls to the wall all day everyday and keep reliability and still get 24 mpg city. Sure my supercharged honda cant beat my stang, but its a very close race. it ran 12.81@113 on street tires. but it was so much more fun than the stang.

And i would hardly call this rice.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No, the stang isnt rice. I wasnt saying that. I was just sayin anything thats non functional is rice to ME.

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

Yes i prefer a honda over a stang any given day. Reason being it handles millions times better, you can beat it balls to the wall all day everyday and keep reliability and still get 24 mpg city. Sure my supercharged honda cant beat my stang, but its a very close race. it ran 12.81@113 on street tires. but it was so much more fun than the stang.

Dude why are you still on a mustang forum?? . You obviously dont like them, and that's fine, but go join a bunch of Honda forums and talk to others with dreams of running a 12 second 1/4 mile before dumping $10k into a cookie cutter economy car. You obviously dont know what the hell your talking about trying to prove a stock civic SI will out handle a GT. You have no idea the capabilities of these cars with some good suspension work. We MAY have to spend $1000 to handle better, but you honda fanboys have to spend $10k, and void any warranty you may have, just to TOUCH us in a straight line STOCK. Not saying hondas are bad cars, but it's a completely different machine then a Mustang. And dont give me that MPG s***, because you seem to be the only one on here that bought a 420hp car for gas milage. What the hell did you expect?? Or the fact that hondas are so reliable! Thats BS. My fiance has a 09 civic and ive done more repair work on that POS than ANY American car ive ever owned. To each his own, but take your a$$ to the honda forums, and leave us the hell alone. Or else put your money where your mouth is and meet ME at the track. Drag, or circle track. Bet you your life savings that my "horrible handling, boring mustang" runs laps around your S/C civic.

Sorry to the OP, but this guy just needs to go. NoSympathy back me up here.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 05-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I agree with you but he isn't worth fighting with. its been pretty obvious from his previous posts he needs a massive driver mod. Probably why he likes the Hondas, they are slower and easier to drive.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I agree with you but he isn't worth fighting with. its been pretty obvious from his previous posts he needs a massive driver mod. Probably why he likes the Hondas, they are slower and easier to drive.
Hopefully he just leaves, before ruining another thread with his worthless Honda preaching. Freaking toolbag..Probably never even bought a Mustang... Just got tired of getting spanked by them and decided to join a couple forums, talk some s***, and feel better in his own mind.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok I understand thank you for clearing that up for me. I'm not trying to offend anyone. I like that Honda and a lot of other cars besides stangs. I wouldn't consider your car rice at all! It's a tuner theres for sure is a difference. I don't like hood scoops myself but thatme though. I do agree that they look good on the new mustang but not my cup of tea.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
It does take away from it a little bit for me when it's not functional. My buddy used to have a 2003 Mach1 back in the day, that was damn cool. I still like the scoop...but not as much on the 2013+. I feel like there's a little too much going on with a scoop and the louver/heat vents. BUT, when I first looked at it, I thought it looked sick, which is what 99% of people are going to do, not sit and analyze it like I did haha. Still looks good, and at the end of the day, it's your ride! I say go with the Roush color matched one, you know you're getting a quality product.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:07 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

IT'S definitely RICE, anything coming out of a ching Chang factory is rice. At least when your unemployed and hungry, you can add some fish heads and have a meal.

---------- Post added at 06:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post

Hopefully he just leaves, before ruining another thread with his worthless Honda preaching. Freaking toolbag..Probably never even bought a Mustang... Just got tired of getting spanked by them and decided to join a couple forums, talk some s***, and feel better in his own mind.
Yep, +1
Old 05-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Rice is different to lots of people. Race inspired cosmetic enhancements. To me it just whatever looks bad on a car. Other than bad spoilers and vents though. Those should be functional IMO.

---------- Post added at 07:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 AM ----------

Quote:

That does look nice. And I could imagine doing whatever you want in a car without worrying to much would be lots of fun.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

IT'S definitely RICE, anything coming out of a ching Chang factory is rice. At least when your unemployed and hungry, you can add some fish heads and have a meal.

---------- Post added at 06:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 AM ----------

Yep, +1
LOL !! awesome

Low2v
Old 05-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Haha RICE is the approach really... Look at what I saw this morning, ruining what was once a nice car
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2901902681.png
Views:	312
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	108455  
Old 05-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
Haha RICE is the approach really... Look at what I saw this morning, ruining what was once a nice car
Wow. Don't see that often in the US. Maybe he forgot he is supposed to live in Japan.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Wow. Don't see that often in the US. Maybe he forgot he is supposed to live in Japan.
I see that kinda crap all the time where i live. A lot on volkswagons. Looks so stupid. Have fun replacing tires every 5k
Old 05-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

Quote:
You have a focus too. My wife has one too.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dude why are you still on a mustang forum?? . You obviously dont like them, and that's fine, but go join a bunch of Honda forums and talk to others with dreams of running a 12 second 1/4 mile before dumping $10k into a cookie cutter economy car. You obviously dont know what the hell your talking about trying to prove a stock civic SI will out handle a GT. You have no idea the capabilities of these cars with some good suspension work. We MAY have to spend $1000 to handle better, but you honda fanboys have to spend $10k, and void any warranty you may have, just to TOUCH us in a straight line STOCK. Not saying hondas are bad cars, but it's a completely different machine then a Mustang. And dont give me that MPG s***, because you seem to be the only one on here that bought a 420hp car for gas milage. What the hell did you expect?? Or the fact that hondas are so reliable! Thats BS. My fiance has a 09 civic and ive done more repair work on that POS than ANY American car ive ever owned. To each his own, but take your a$$ to the honda forums, and leave us the hell alone. Or else put your money where your mouth is and meet ME at the track. Drag, or circle track. Bet you your life savings that my "horrible handling, boring mustang" runs laps around your S/C civic.

Sorry to the OP, but this guy just needs to go. NoSympathy back me up here.
Someone is on their rag. Stopbeing so biased. Mustangs arent the greatest. I own a mustang and i sold that honda i had. If your honda had a lot of issues its prob a lemon. I even owned a 13 accord coupe v6 navi and got rid of it inside of 4 months because its a lemon. But thats very rare for honda to have lemons. Every brand has lemons.

You wouldnt want to line up with that supercharged honda of mine. Your feelings would get hurt, especially in the twisties. You say you need a grand in suspension to hang with hondas, haha, i only had maybe 300 in suspension mods. Sure we have to spend lots to beat you in a straight line, but how would it feel that your 32 valve 8 cyl just got walked by a 2.0 litre 4 cyl. Haha

Stop being argumentive with me, i wasnt trying to start anything up. Just saying i like hondas as well. Im not biased like some on here.

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride View Post
Rice is different to lots of people. Race inspired cosmetic enhancements. To me it just whatever looks bad on a car. Other than bad spoilers and vents though. Those should be functional IMO.

---------- Post added at 07:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 AM ----------

That does look nice. And I could imagine doing whatever you want in a car without worrying to much would be lots of fun.
Thanks. It was a really fun car. Heres a pic of the engine bay

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

Quote:
Ok I understand thank you for clearing that up for me. I'm not trying to offend anyone. I like that Honda and a lot of other cars besides stangs. I wouldn't consider your car rice at all! It's a tuner theres for sure is a difference. I don't like hood scoops myself but thatme though. I do agree that they look good on the new mustang but not my cup of tea.
There are many idiots that mod hondas to the riced out stage that ruin it for the guys like myself that mod correctly. I just dont see why so many people are so biased. Fct is a good build is a good build no matter what the car is. The build just needs to be respected. Sure a modded stang will always stomp a fully built honda, but a fully built honda has a major fun factor on the street. Nothing like turning heads.

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

Yep, +1
You just feed the fuel to the stang stereotypes.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Someone is on their rag. Stopbeing so biased. Mustangs arent the greatest. I own a mustang and i sold that honda i had. If your honda had a lot of issues its prob a lemon. I even owned a 13 accord coupe v6 navi and got rid of it inside of 4 months because its a lemon. But thats very rare for honda to have lemons. Every brand has lemons.

You wouldnt want to line up with that supercharged honda of mine. Your feelings would get hurt, especially in the twisties. You say you need a grand in suspension to hang with hondas, haha, i only had maybe 300 in suspension mods. Sure we have to spend lots to beat you in a straight line, but how would it feel that your 32 valve 8 cyl just got walked by a 2.0 litre 4 cyl. Haha

Stop being argumentive with me, i wasnt trying to start anything up. Just saying i like hondas as well. Im not biased like some on here.

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

Thanks. It was a really fun car. Heres a pic of the engine bay

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

There are many idiots that mod hondas to the riced out stage that ruin it for the guys like myself that mod correctly. I just dont see why so many people are so biased. Fct is a good build is a good build no matter what the car is. The build just needs to be respected. Sure a modded stang will always stomp a fully built honda, but a fully built honda has a major fun factor on the street. Nothing like turning heads.

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

You just feed the fuel to the stang stereotypes.
Dude just leave. Your like that dorky guy in high school that tries to hang with the cool kids. We dont like your hondas here. We dont want your hondas here. So quit acting like a little instigater and just leave. As for lining up with your "S/C Honda". Bring it. Ill even pay for your gas to get there. Quit talking about "twisties and turns" like you even know how to drive. Someone has watched to many fast and the furious movies. Glad you enjoyed spending $10k, to just have a shot at me stock. Idiot.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Stay on topic and no name calling
Old 05-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
Stay on topic and no name calling
Your right. I apologize. Just hard to refrain from this guy. Just afraid hes going to give the wrong info to some new guy who doesnt know any better and listens to him. Cant figure out why he hasnt been banned or left yet. He clearly goes into threads and starts arguments and Honda preaches everywhere.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Right! No one even mentioned Honda . But anyways. Do they make a functional hood scoop for the newer stangs?
Old 05-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

You have a focus too. My wife has one too.
Yea it's an awesome DD!! It's the hatchback
Old 05-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dude just leave. Your like that dorky guy in high school that tries to hang with the cool kids. We dont like your hondas here. We dont want your hondas here. So quit acting like a little instigater and just leave. As for lining up with your "S/C Honda". Bring it. Ill even pay for your gas to get there. Quit talking about "twisties and turns" like you even know how to drive. Someone has watched to many fast and the furious movies. Glad you enjoyed spending $10k, to just have a shot at me stock. Idiot.
Seems like you need hooked on phonics because you dont pay attention. Let me educate you again. I SOLD that honda. I now have a MUSTANG. Im not going to be biased like you because i have a mustang. There are many more nicer and faster cars than a stang. Im not trying to start an argument anywhere on this forum. I have never instigated at all either. You just see the word honda and get all irrate. Grow up. Im just saying that any real true car enthusiast would have to respect a good build. If there was a 9 sec prius it would have my respect even though i hate priuses.

Stop your whining and arguing. You are the kind of person real car enthusiasts frown upon because you act like what you have is faster and better than what others have. If anyone should leave its you.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yea it doesn't look that bad in the pic, but it looks terrible from behind... One of my Facebook friends posted this, apparently its popular here lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3626758892.png
Views:	170
Size:	772.4 KB
ID:	108504  
Old 05-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Seems like you need hooked on phonics because you dont pay attention. Let me educate you again. I SOLD that honda. I now have a MUSTANG. Im not going to be biased like you because i have a mustang. There are many more nicer and faster cars than a stang. Im not trying to start an argument anywhere on this forum. I have never instigated at all either. You just see the word honda and get all irrate. Grow up. Im just saying that any real true car enthusiast would have to respect a good build. If there was a 9 sec prius it would have my respect even though i hate priuses.

Stop your whining and arguing. You are the kind of person real car enthusiasts frown upon because you act like what you have is faster and better than what others have. If anyone should leave its you.
Whatever you say bud. Ill be the bigger man and walk away. We've all had enough of your Honda preaching, and good luck SELLING your mustang because of the poor gas milage. Yes, i did see that whole thread. Have fun blowing money on your imports. If i ever decide to go cause trouble and rile people up on any honda forums, ill make sure to look you up. In the meantime i STRONGLY advise people against taking any advice from this guy, since its clear hes going to stick around. Thats all im going to say. God bless.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yea it's an awesome DD!! It's the hatchback
Ours is a sadan. When I'm low on gas I drive it. It handles like a champ just wish it had a little more power but that's only cuz I drive the mustang everyday lol
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT