What are the dimensions of 2012 & 2013 Hood Scoop? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
What are the dimensions of 2012 & 2013 Hood Scoop?

Ive been checking into a Hood Scoop for my 2013 Mustang. There are tons of them out there for the 2010+ models but hardly none for the 2013 & 2014's, does anyone know the difference in size between the 2012 & 2013 Hood Scoops?

A couple of sites say they will fit the 2013's but I want to be absolutely positive and that the hood vents on the 2013's will not matter.

Any info would be appreciated.
Vintage Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
They won't fit the contour difference I don't believe. I think this came up before. It wasn't the size it was the shape won't fit.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
They won't fit the contour difference I don't believe. I think this came up before. It wasn't the size it was the shape won't fit.
Ahh so its the curvature of the hoods?

Im wondering why these companies say they fit because if there is any way that it will fit that will save me $250.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Iron View Post

Ahh so its the curvature of the hoods?

Im wondering why these companies say they fit because if there is any way that it will fit that will save me $250.
Which specific hood scoop says it fits?
Old 05-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Which specific hood scoop says it fits?
Here is a link...

Ford Mustang All Models Painted Factory Style Hood Scoop Trim 2010 2013 | eBay
Old 05-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's the Ford OEM one and it does not work on the 2013-2014 hoods. Shouldn't believe anything on eBay. Lol.

It is the shape of the hood. Just look at the two. The 11-12 has a small cowl and the 13-14 does not.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's the Ford OEM one and it does not work on the 2013-2014 hoods. Shouldn't believe anything on eBay. Lol.

It is the shape of the hood. Just look at the two. The 11-12 has a small cowl and the 13-14 does not.
LOL, Hey now im a ebay seller, thats how I make my living. But about the Hood difference's I thought and saw the same thing..
Old 05-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

LOL, Hey now im a ebay seller, thats how I make my living. But about the Hood difference's I thought and saw the same thing..
Haha sorry. I've looked for car parts on there before and the amount of times I see misleading information is very high. I'm just saying someone selling on eBay doesn't always have the honesty or the knowledge in what they are selling. Not always 100% true but definitely happensa lot with car parts.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha sorry. I've looked for car parts on there before and the amount of times I see misleading information is very high. I'm just saying someone selling on eBay doesn't always have the honesty or the knowledge in what they are selling. Not always 100% true but definitely happensa lot with car parts.
I agree with ya, if you look at the 2 different hood scoops from the 2012 to the 2013 the 2012 has a slight crease in the center of the hood scoop and the 2013 does not but im not sure if that would keep it from working or not?

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

Quote:
The AM brand on their site is the same as the 2012 version...
Old 05-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I agree with ya, if you look at the 2 different hood scoops from the 2012 to the 2013 the 2012 has a slight crease in the center of the hood scoop and the 2013 does not but im not sure if that would keep it from working or not?

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

The AM brand on their site is the same as the 2012 version...
The one AM sells is the OEM Ford one painted. Yeah that crease makes it not fit.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The one AM sells is the OEM Ford one painted. Yeah that crease makes it not fit.
Looks like im S**T outta luck unless I pay $475 from Roush...
Old 05-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Looks like im S**T outta luck unless I pay $475 from Roush...
Haha I thought there would be more options by now. There just hasnt been. You can always do a new hood . Your half way to a new painted hood with the roush price.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha I thought there would be more options by now. There just hasnt been. You can always do a new hood . Your half way to a new painted hood with the roush price.
I think im just gonna get the GT500 rear spoiler for now and hopefully in a few months someone comes with a hood scoop that will work
Old 05-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was just talking with another dude on another mustang forum and he has a 2013 and he bought a 2012 hood scoop painted and he said it fits perfect?...WTF!
Old 05-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I was just talking with another dude on another mustang forum and he has a 2013 and he bought a 2012 hood scoop painted and he said it fits perfect?...WTF!
I guess try it? I know we had people on here try it and it didn't work.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
you've been here a long time it seems do you know if there was/is a thread for that whole issue?
Old 05-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This is the photo he sent me, it looks like it works?

Said he got it from some place called "zigs"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1510_zpsedea435c.jpg
Views:	1469
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	108886  
Old 05-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

This is the photo he sent me, it looks like it works?

Said he got it from some place called "zigs"?
Interesting. Does look like it fits. As for the thread I'd have to try and find it. On my phone currently.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Interesting. Does look like it fits. As for the thread I'd have to try and find it. On my phone currently.
Yep I agree I dont see any gaps whatsoever, looks perfect to me. If you find any old threads let me know...
Old 05-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

Yep I agree I dont see any gaps whatsoever, looks perfect to me. If you find any old threads let me know...
Don't do it, it's not worth the risk. It does look like the gaps are bigger on the front and rear. One problem you'll face is the hood structure on the underside is totally different 11-12 vs 13-14. So any kind of template you use or make will make it a PITA when it comes to tightening the bolts on the underside. If you can't install it correctly with all the nuts on the bolts, the double sided tape may fail over time do to heat. This will cause it to lift in the corners. If this is a mod that your serious about, don't cut corners on it, not over $200. Say you drill all those holes and then you aren't confident about how it's held down, lined up, or the structure of your hood. Then what? Then I'd bet you the scoop that's specific for the 13'-14' doesn't have the same mounting locations as the 11-12 scoop. Now you have a bunch of holes in your hood you don't need, a scoop that's useless, and having to spend more money again. And you'll lose money trying to sell the 11-12 scoop. Bottom line is, If you want the look on your '13, get the money together, buy the prepainted one from roush, and never look back. Because it will look and install perfectly. Good luck
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

I installed the zigs scoop on my stock '13 hood and it fit & matched very well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1265025658.jpg
Views:	3862
Size:	548.6 KB
ID:	109002   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4247550644.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	482.0 KB
ID:	109003  

Name:	image-4013564282.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	482.9 KB
ID:	109004  
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetag93 View Post
I installed the zigs scoop on my stock '13 hood and it fit & matched very well.
Yea that looks perfect. Were there any issues with bolting it up on the underside of the hood, If you read up 1 comment on this thread another guy said the hood structure was totally different and the screws that are attached to the hood scoop may not be long enough to tighten up correctly?
Old 05-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yea that looks perfect. Were there any issues with bolting it up on the underside of the hood, If you read up 1 comment on this thread another guy said the hood structure was totally different and the screws that are attached to the hood scoop may not be long enough to tighten up correctly?
No problem. Here is a pic of underside with hood laying on its side. U can see the 4 gold colored bolt heads. The 2 in the rear are wider apart than the front 2.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-649740467.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	492.5 KB
ID:	109005  
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Old 05-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No problem. Here is a pic of underside with hood laying on its side. U can see the 4 gold colored bolt heads. The 2 in the rear are wider apart than the front 2.
Yep I dont see any issues, did yours come with a template for installation? Looks like to me with a template that it wouldnt take 45 minutes to install it. Zig's quoted me $274 delivered in GHIG, did you pay something close to that?
Old 05-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yep I dont see any issues, did yours come with a template for installation? Looks like to me with a template that it wouldnt take 45 minutes to install it. Zig's quoted me $274 delivered in GHIG, did you pay something close to that?
Yea came with the template. Paid about $260 I think. It is a bit wider than the roush scoop which I liked. It's a nice piece.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea came with the template. Paid about $260 I think. It is a bit wider than the roush scoop which I liked. It's a nice piece.
Yea they quoted me $274 which may account for the GHIG paint being a little more expensive....Im gonna order one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT