Real carbon fiber roof 2011 GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Real carbon fiber roof 2011 GT

I copied this from my post in the General discussion area: So a few months back I went through an automated car wash and the nozzle came down and dented my roof pretty good. The car wash's insurance paid out $1,100 and I haven't fixed it yet. I'm looking for a real carbon fiber roof replacement. I've found a lot of overlays or "stick on" types but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm hoping to find a direct replacement for the roof, hopefully around $1,100 or so. Any suggestions?

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
So your wanting to cut out the roof and replace it with carbon fiber and weld back essentially? I don't know of any car that does that aftermarket, gotta be a liability thing as it would mess with the structural integrity in case of a crash etc I would imagine but I'm no expert.
kornflake7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornflake7 View Post
So your wanting to cut out the roof and replace it with carbon fiber and weld back essentially? I don't know of any car that does that aftermarket, gotta be a liability thing as it would mess with the structural integrity in case of a crash etc I would imagine but I'm no expert.
To my understanding, I could be wrong, the auto body guy said that the roof is a modular piece of sheet metal that pops/unbolts out once the molding is removed. They would have to remove, straighten, smooth and repaint the entire piece and then reinstall. I'm just wondering if I can directly swap for about the same price. Did I misunderstand?

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You might be able to not sure I don't do body etc, but I don't know of any places that make direct replacements but everything can be done with the right amount of money
kornflake7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

I don't believe anyone makes an actual carbon fiber roof for our car. I know RKsport makes a REAL carbon fiber overlay. But that would still just be an add on.
http://www.lmperformance.com/556166/...FVES7AodqwYA2Q
However, it's not a vinyl. It's a hardened/solid piece so it would cover your dent so you might not need to have it repaired.

I'm actually considering doing this myself. To go with my CF hood and future CF trunk.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
I don't believe anyone makes an actual carbon fiber roof for our car. I know RKsport makes a REAL carbon fiber overlay. But that would still just be an add on.
http://www.lmperformance.com/556166/...FVES7AodqwYA2Q
However, it's not a vinyl. It's a hardened/solid piece so it would cover your dent so you might not need to have it repaired.

I'm actually considering doing this myself. To go with my CF hood and future CF trunk.
My wheels were already turning on this one too... With the $1,100 I got I was thinking about the RK Sport and a Boss IM for about the same money. Unfortunately I'm the type that will always know a dent lies beneath LOL!

Old 05-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Photos for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1775362961.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	109061   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1060562992.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	109062  

Old 05-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

That dent doesn't look bad at all! I can't tell but is the paint scratched? Some shops can do paintless dent removal. Have you shown it to any body shops yet?
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That dent doesn't look bad at all! I can't tell but is the paint scratched? Some shops can do paintless dent removal. Have you shown it to any body shops yet?
Yeah, since its at the edge they can't pop it out, if they do they can't guarantee it will last as the metal expands and contracts with heat.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
It looks like its right in the middle to me, I'm a paintless dent repair tech and I'm sure it's repairable w/o bodywork or a roof.That's from what I see in the pic anyway...
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
It looks like its right in the middle to me, I'm a paintless dent repair tech and I'm sure it's repairable w/o bodywork or a roof.That's from what I see in the pic anyway...
Pic is a little hard to see, but the dent goes right to the edge where it meets the back window.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

try Trufiber.com
MELLOWYELLOW06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug5.0 View Post

Pic is a little hard to see, but the dent goes right to the edge where it meets the back window.
O ok, I believe it's a long crease from front to back it looks
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

PRice OUTRAGEOUS

Quote:
RKSport 05-12 Ford Mustang Carbon Fiber Roof Cover 18014020

That price however is ridiculous. Ive been debating and searching for a better deal. I now the vinyl is 400% Cheaper but I didn't like the flat look. Anyone found it elsewhere considerably cheaper.
rspicel is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT