BIG RACE 2012 mustang gt - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-20-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
BIG RACE 2012 mustang gt

Hey guys I'm new to this. Wanted to know some good mods for my stock gt (auto )
I have a big race coming up with all my buddies
Their cars
2004 cobra cai , Bassani exhaust
Stock 99 Porsche 911 non turbo
The jack pot gets 1000 bucks
So I need to win so I can keep making the payments. Lol
White_coyote5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 12:31 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Control arms, good tires and a tune will help you out a lot. I'm assuming its the 1/4 mile
Old 05-20-2013, 12:34 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
Control arms, good tires and a tune will help you out a lot. I'm assuming its the 1/4 mile
Do you have any in mind ? Or which brand I should go with ?
Also yea it's a 1/4 mile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 12:36 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Check out Americanmuscle.com they have a wide variety of parts
Old 05-20-2013, 12:38 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Okay yea thanks

I was gonna get the track And street package from maximum motor sports
Old 05-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Driver mod, stickier tires. LCA's really won't do you any good if you're not a good driver. Whats the suspension setup of the other cars and what wheels/ tires are they running? Porche's are really known for the 1/4 mile as their suspension is soo damn stiff so I wouldn't worry about that car.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
You don't need suspension mods to beat them. In fact, you'd waste your money.

Assuming the guy with '04 Cobra is a good driver, he'll run mid to upper 11's with drags. Don't know much about the 911.

I have a friend with your exact car, he's running consistent 11.5-11.7's with a CAI, Bama race tune (93), axleback exhaust and MT drag slicks on 15" drag star wheels. With that setup he'll beat an '04 Cobra stock.

I'd focus on 2 things: traction, and a HP gain with a shift improvement from a tune. I hate to say it, but these 5.0's with an auto trans are fast and don't take much to run 11's.
Davey13GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey13GT View Post

Assuming the guy with '04 Cobra is a good driver, he'll run mid to upper 11's with drags. Don't know much about the 911.

I have a friend with your exact car, he's running consistent 11.5-11.7's with a CAI, Bama race tune (93), axleback exhaust and MT drag slicks on 15" drag star wheels. With that setup he'll beat an '04 Cobra stock.

I'd focus on 2 things: traction, and a HP gain with a shift improvement from a tune. I hate to say it, but these 5.0's with an auto trans are fast and don't take much to run 11's.
Thanks dude I really appreciate it
Old 05-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

I disagree. Suspension is everything when racing these cars. Its the weakest point of the car by FAR. Traction will be BETTER with slicks obviously, but if you really want to hook you will definitely need new LCAS and brackets. These cars also squat horribly on a hard launch, so a good set of springs and dampeners, will again, help you hook drastically. Without a good suspension set up, you will never hook the way you want to.

Btw, i dont think there is ANYWAY what so ever that a 04 cobra with exhaust and cai will run mid 11s. They are quick but no where near that. They are only rated at like 390ish stock. So with exhaust and cai hes MAYBE making 370-380whp. No way you can run mid 11s with that. Especially with no suspension work.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post

I disagree. Suspension is everything when racing these cars. Its the weakest point of the car by FAR. Traction will be BETTER with slicks obviously, but if you really want to hook you will definitely need new LCAS and brackets. These cars also squat horribly on a hard launch, so a good set of springs and dampeners, will again, help you hook drastically. Without a good suspension set up, you will never hook the way you want to.

Btw, i dont think there is ANYWAY what so ever that a 04 cobra with exhaust and cai will run mid 11s. They are quick but no where near that. They are only rated at like 390ish stock. So with exhaust and cai hes MAYBE making 370-380whp. No way you can run mid 11s with that. Especially with no suspension work.
So changing up my suspension will help me
What tune cai do you think is the best to gain hp and tq?
Old 05-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
With no suspension work on a stock auto with no tune you will be able to gain traction. If you run a race tune then suspension is a must. I have an 13 auto and I had no problem gaining traction at first . But now that I have a tune it is difficult to gain traction even with the tires heated up. You shouldnt have to much trouble with the gt stang. Idk to much about the 911 though. If you have the means get a tune, LCAs, relocation brackets, lowering springs to about 1.5 inch, camber bolts and panhard bar. And if possible get some better tires your gonna need them. Don't worry about the CAI right now.
redbeast0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeast0712 View Post
With no suspension work on a stock auto with no tune you will be able to gain traction. If you run a race tune then suspension is a must. I have an 13 auto and I had no problem gaining traction at first . But now that I have a tune it is difficult to gain traction even with the tires heated up. You shouldnt have to much trouble with the gt stang. Idk to much about the 911 though. If you have the means get a tune, LCAs, relocation brackets, lowering springs to about 1.5 inch, camber bolts and panhard bar. And if possible get some better tires your gonna need them. Don't worry about the CAI right now.
Thanks bro what have you ran on your car ? What mods do you. Have ?
Old 05-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #13
Registered Member

No need for a CAI, you'd do better investing in stock Air Box Tune, and UCA"s, and LCA's with LCA relocation bracket.
I have a 2013 6A, 3.15 gears, stock Goodyear F1's, stock exhaust with GT500 Axlebacks, stock air box, and CHE UCA, Steeda LCA, Whiteline LCA relocation bracket, here are my dyno results, and track results:

DeepImpactPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_coyote5.0 View Post

Thanks bro what have you ran on your car ? What mods do you. Have ?
The only thing I have right now worth power is a race tune from bama. I am currently working on money for suspension and tires. I have had the car for a year now and I'm used to driving it now. I have also had other mustang for years but this 5.0 is completely different. I will be hitting the track once these other mods are done and an extra set of tires for race use only since it my dd. I haven't gone yet. I can ensure you if you can find a safe place to practice that will give you a big advantage. I have done this and have had plenty of practice but i learn new things everytimr i do. just Work on your launches, it's not to difficult with auto just has long as you can gain traction, that's the key with these cars.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpactPony View Post
No need for a CAI, you'd do better investing in stock Air Box Tune, and UCA"s, and LCA's with LCA relocation bracket.
I have a 2013 6A, 3.15 gears, stock Goodyear F1's, stock exhaust with GT500 Axlebacks, stock air box, and CHE UCA, Steeda LCA, Whiteline LCA relocation bracket, here are my dyno results, and track results:
Nice numbers bro
I see where you get your parts at ?
Old 05-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So changing up my suspension will help me
What tune cai do you think is the best to gain hp and tq?
I personally would get a good set of rims/tires, lowering springs, good set of dampeners, LCAs and brackets, uca and bracket, panhard bar, and either gt500 strut mounts, or if you can afford it steeda or maximum motorsports cc plates. After that a good tune. Like someone mentioned before i would skip the cai intake for now and put it towards suspension, or a boss manifold with your tune so you can rev it higher.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 05-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I personally would get a good set of rims/tires, lowering springs, good set of dampeners, LCAs and brackets, uca and bracket, panhard bar, and either gt500 strut mounts, or if you can afford it steeda or maximum motorsports cc plates. After that a good tune. Like someone mentioned before i would skip the cai intake for now and put it towards suspension, or a boss manifold with your tune so you can rev it higher.
+1
Old 05-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I say get slicks and 15 inch wheels
Old 05-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
400whp with just axlebacks? Damn that the most ive seen a stock car put down. Are you tuned?
Old 05-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post
I say get slicks and 15 inch wheels
Seeing as he has an auto drag radials would work better.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
400whp with just axlebacks? Damn that the most ive seen a stock car put down. Are you tuned?
That is with a 93 octane tune, the axle backs don't gain anything but better exhaust sound. Even my tuner was surprised by the results, next step is to datalog a few passes, so I can send it to my tuner, and see what he can do with the shifts.

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Agreed 100%. Thats everything I did, except for the Boss Intake.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Nice numbers bro
I see where you get your parts at ?
The tuner is from:
WELCOME TO TUNING BY JAMES

The LCA's are Steeda, UCA, and Mount from CHE, PHB from freedom racing, the LCA relocation bkt from whiteline, Steeda Sport Springs, Steeda Pro Action shocks and struts. GT500 Strut Mounts, from Ford Racing
Old 05-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The tuner is from:
WELCOME TO TUNING BY JAMES

The LCA's are Steeda, UCA, and Mount from CHE, PHB from freedom racing, the LCA relocation bkt from whiteline, Steeda Sport Springs, Steeda Pro Action shocks and struts. GT500 Strut Mounts, from Ford Racing
Extremely good numbers with just a tune
Old 05-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Not disagreeing that suspension mods aren't needed on these cars, but, with his objective (to beat those two cars), he can do it cheaper with a tune and drag radials. Like I said, my buddy has an '11 5.0 auto, 11.7 all night bro. Low temps and he's hit 11.5. Doing suspension mods will not improve 1/4 times as drastically as drags with a tune that alters shift points and gets more out of the motor. I'm actually embarrassed to run against my buddy's auto GT. Even with slicks and a tune I think he'd still edge me with the auto, it just shifts faster and it's point and shoot.

It's true that the suspension on these cars squats, but that's not what hurts traction, in fact, a quick rear weight transfer is desirable. The rear suspension is just too stiff with too much wheel hop. If you're truly after a drag car, then yes, you need to revamp the entire suspension.

My friend with the '04 Cobra (Mystic Chrome btw, # 275) has a tune, smaller pulley, exhaust and drags and he runs mid 11's. The '04 Cobras have a lot of potential to be unlocked with tunes and a pulley swap.

Not an expert by any means, but I'm just commenting on what I've seen first hand at the track.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Not disagreeing that suspension mods aren't needed on these cars, but, with his objective (to beat those two cars), he can do it cheaper with a tune and drag radials. Like I said, my buddy has an '11 5.0 auto, 11.7 all night bro. Low temps and he's hit 11.5. Doing suspension mods will not improve 1/4 times as drastically as drags with a tune that alters shift points and gets more out of the motor. I'm actually embarrassed to run against my buddy's auto GT. Even with slicks and a tune I think he'd still edge me with the auto, it just shifts faster and it's point and shoot.

It's true that the suspension on these cars squats, but that's not what hurts traction, in fact, a quick rear weight transfer is desirable. The rear suspension is just too stiff with too much wheel hop. If you're truly after a drag car, then yes, you need to revamp the entire suspension.

My friend with the '04 Cobra (Mystic Chrome btw, # 275) has a tune, smaller pulley, exhaust and drags and he runs mid 11's. The '04 Cobras have a lot of potential to be unlocked with tunes and a pulley swap.

Not an expert by any means, but I'm just commenting on what I've seen first hand at the track.
Oh im not disagreeing that a tune isnt important. And yes a tune will probably yield bigger results quicker, but i would ATLEAST do lcas for now. Or else hes going to have crazy wheel hop on slicks.
As far as the cobra, yes absolutely with those mods your buddy has will get you into the mid 11s. A friend of mine has one as well, but with a ported blower, boost a pump, etc etc, and is making crazy power. But this guy, according to the OP only has exhaust. That alone won't get you anywhere near mid 11s
Old 05-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh im not disagreeing that a tune isnt important. And yes a tune will probably yield bigger results quicker, but i would ATLEAST do lcas for now. Or else hes going to have crazy wheel hop on slicks.
As far as the cobra, yes absolutely with those mods your buddy has will get you into the mid 11s. A friend of mine has one as well, but with a ported blower, boost a pump, etc etc, and is making crazy power. But this guy, according to the OP only has exhaust. That alone won't get you anywhere near mid 11s
Missed the part about the mods on the Cobra. Yeah stock with just exhaust he'll run 12's. At the end of the day though there is SO much variable in driving ability. I've seen guys with S197 Shelby's running 13's. The first time my buddy took his Cobra to the track with those mods (I think he has a boost pump as well), he couldn't even beat MY best ET with my stock '13. He was terrible at launching and even missed a few gears because the car was an animal.

It all depends on what the OP wants to accomplish and whether or not he plans to race often. In my case, my Pony is my daily driver and I won't be running at the track often. I'm just doing appearance mods for now so it doesn't look like every other '13. Eventually I plan on a full suspension upgrade as well as performance mods. I'm pretty happy with the power for a daily driver and have no complaints about the suspension yet (other than ride height) unless I'm at the track. I can't tune mine for another 30,000 miles though...warranty. Lol
Old 05-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Hey guys I'm new to this. Wanted to know some good mods for my stock gt (auto )
I have a big race coming up with all my buddies
Their cars
2004 cobra cai , Bassani exhaust
Stock 99 Porsche 911 non turbo
The jack pot gets 1000 bucks
So I need to win so I can keep making the payments. Lol
If that is what they are running you have them beat already...I would go for sticky tire, so you can hook up off the line... A tune is always good too, SCT/Bama tuner from AM you get free codes for life...Practice you Launch, reaction time is a major factor....I am assuming this is a completely legal race at a sanctioned track if so try to practice your reaction time off of there tree...
BIGHOSS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGHOSS5.0 View Post

If that is what they are running you have them beat already...I would go for sticky tire, so you can hook up off the line... A tune is always good too, SCT/Bama tuner from AM you get free codes for life...Practice you Launch, reaction time is a major factor....I am assuming this is a completely legal race at a sanctioned track if so try to practice your reaction time off of there tree...
You don't need to leave when the tree hits green.... Has no effect on your time
Old 05-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Missed the part about the mods on the Cobra. Yeah stock with just exhaust he'll run 12's. At the end of the day though there is SO much variable in driving ability. I've seen guys with S197 Shelby's running 13's. The first time my buddy took his Cobra to the track with those mods (I think he has a boost pump as well), he couldn't even beat MY best ET with my stock '13. He was terrible at launching and even missed a few gears because the car was an animal.

It all depends on what the OP wants to accomplish and whether or not he plans to race often. In my case, my Pony is my daily driver and I won't be running at the track often. I'm just doing appearance mods for now so it doesn't look like every other '13. Eventually I plan on a full suspension upgrade as well as performance mods. I'm pretty happy with the power for a daily driver and have no complaints about the suspension yet (other than ride height) unless I'm at the track. I can't tune mine for another 30,000 miles though...warranty. Lol
Lol i hear ya man. Im not tuning or doing any motor mods until my warranty is up as well. Thats the main reason i started with suspension. Get that checked off the list now. Not done though, still want to get lcas and uca. Mines my daily driver as well, but i hated that stock wheel gap. Looks like truck from the factory. But unfortunately to properly lower these cars, all those other things (panhard bar, dampeners, cc plates, uca, etc) are needed as well.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013mustang5.0 View Post
WTF? This has nothing to do with his time, and everything to do with winning the race...If they beat him off the line, they have a shot at beating him.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013mustang5.0 View Post

It's a race, not a time slip comparison. You can fall asleep on the line, run a second quicker et and still loose the race.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Last time I ran at the track, this dude in turbo POS Honda stages in the other lane. I LET the tree go and let him get a head start before I ran. The reason was this dude scared me with his bat mobile. He ran a 13.4 and I ran a 12.9, but he finished the run 1st. Back in the staging area he was bragging about how he beat a 5.0. What am idiot. Like I'm going to risk your falling apart POS rice box breaking and coming across my lane and taking my car out? Yea...no thanks. FYI, if you wreck on a drag strip, you're SOL, because no insurance company will pay for repairs. So think twice before "racing" against random people on the drag strip. I've seen videos in YouTube where dumb a$$ess can't drive, lose control, and take out the guy next to them. Lol
Old 05-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Last time I ran at the track, this dude in turbo POS Honda stages in the other lane. I LET the tree go and let him get a head start before I ran. The reason was this dude scared me with his bat mobile. He ran a 13.4 and I ran a 12.9, but he finished the run 1st. Back in the staging area he was bragging about how he beat a 5.0. What am idiot. Like I'm going to risk your falling apart POS rice box breaking and coming across my lane and taking my car out? Yea...no thanks. FYI, if you wreck on a drag strip, you're SOL, because no insurance company will pay for repairs. So think twice before "racing" against random people on the drag strip. I've seen videos in YouTube where dumb a$$ess can't drive, lose control, and take out the guy next to them. Lol
I have seen insurance company's hire people to go to the tracks and record License plates of people racing...They will drop them the following week. So, it might be smart to remove your plate, cover your vin# and use a fake name, when your at the track...
Old 05-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #34
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGHOSS5.0

I have seen insurance company's hire people to go to the tracks and record License plates of people racing...They will drop them the following week. So, it might be smart to remove your plate, cover your vin# and use a fake name, when your at the track...
under what grounds are they cancelling the policy?

I've heard this myth many times but have never met someone it happened to. My agent knows I race both SCCA and drag events and could care less...

It is true, however, that you are not covered under your normal auto policy at any timed race event. If you wreck or someone wrecks you it is all out of your pocket.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGHOSS5.0 View Post

Screw that, i wouldn't want to be insured by a company that's spying on me anyway lol. If i wreck at the track, i know its on me. Thats the risk we take, which is why they have policies in place to protect themselves from being liable. Dont understand why they would bother doing that.

I already agreed to their terms, and as long as i am aware im liable and pay my bill on time, why would they want to cancel a policy? Thats money they are losing out on.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT