Launch - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Launch

I was wondering what rpm and what do you have the traction control set at? I used my track aps last night and got a 5.4 sec 0-60. I have a stock 5.0 with 3.73's and a MT. I know that is very slow.
Brad598400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
That is shockingly slow but, not so much if you're fighting the wheelhop demon.

Best I could do with my BBP MT 3.73 car when absolutely stock was about 4.5 seconds. One Roush upper later and I can knock out low 4s all day long.

On the road, you need to basically launch barely off idle and roll into the throttle. TC/SC must be off to maintain maximum forward thrust.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

What do you mean have it set? Traction control comes on when you're spinning the tires. It's pretty much that simple doesn't matter what rpm you're at. If it is slipping it's going to kick traction control on. Turn it off by pushing the button, or you can put it on sport mode which allows a little spin while maintaining control by pushing the brake and double tapping the button in rapid secession. Or you can turn everything off, no traction or stability control, I WOULD NOT USE THIS UNLESS YOU CAN CONTROL YOUR CAR, by pushing the break and holding the button for 5 seconds. I would just push it until you are comfortable with the cars feel and power, otherwise you will end up in a curb, or worse. But the traction control kicking on will severely reduce power delivery until traction is regained, which in turn severely affects 0 to 60 time, and every other acceleration timer. Especially considering these cars will easily spin 4th gear. I've even gotten mine to chirp 5th.
86 muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I had mine in sports mode, maybe my sports mode is a bit harsh. Ive taken it to the track before and ran a 13.3 with nothing on, i guess that might be my problem.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
TCS should really be turned completely off for any type of performance driving. Wouldn't want automatic brake applied. Just practice letting the clutch out smoothly between 1-2,500 RPM's while getting a feel for when the tires want to break free. Sometimes a slightly slower launch, but quick smooth acceleration, can yield faster times. I've pulled a 4.3 0-60 on street tires by actually launching at a lower rpm, but letting the gas down quickly but smoothly.
Davey13GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Yea no t/c is the way to go if racing on my track apps I pulled a 4.5 0-60 on street tires completely stock other then SLP axle backs
jaymoe5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

When you guys launch do you just drop the clutch?
Old 05-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad598400 View Post
When you guys launch do you just drop the clutch?
I do but I am nowhere near stock suspension. You are probably going to have to play around with it some so you don't get wheel hop. Better to let the clutch out a tad slower then to just wheel hop everywhere.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

While i'm letting the clutch out i don't increase the throttle right? I give it more gas once i'm moving correct?
Old 05-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad598400 View Post
While i'm letting the clutch out i don't increase the throttle right? I give it more gas once i'm moving correct?
you can to a small degree, just do it too much and it doesn't work out in your favor. You also have to find where the clutch fully engages. Mine does before the clutch pedal is all the way out and I can stop the gas right then. This is why I enjoy having a clutch, they require so much more skill to get that perfect launch/shifts.

with some of these questions man you really just have to play with it. Every stop light when you are infront is an opportunity to work on just the launch. same for stop signs.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Well thats what i was doing, i just wanted to make sure i was doing it right. Thanks for the advice
Old 05-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

you can to a small degree, just do it too much and it doesn't work out in your favor. You also have to find where the clutch fully engages. Mine does before the clutch pedal is all the way out and I can stop the gas right then. This is why I enjoy having a clutch, they require so much more skill to get that perfect launch/shifts.

with some of these questions man you really just have to play with it. Every stop light when you are infront is an opportunity to work on just the launch. same for stop signs.
Learn to feather that clutch, I went out last night, dumped it and ran a 5.6 zero to 60 feathered it, 4.7. Almost a second drop from driving better. I don't have 3.73s though
Old 05-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Good info here for manual transmission newbies like me
Gordito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordito View Post
Good info here for manual transmission newbies like me
It takes a lot of skill to beat a new Auto. They never miss a shift, the only disadvantage they have is on a roll. Learning to drive your standard is the best mod you will ever do.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 muscle View Post
It takes a lot of skill to beat a new Auto. They never miss a shift, the only disadvantage they have is on a roll. Learning to drive your standard is the best mod you will ever do.
they are also heavily disadvantaged on a road/auto x course. Even then stock for stock drag racing the manual would still win with a good river mod because of the terrible stock shift points for the auto. A tuned auto with better shift points would be a different story.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:31 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
That is shockingly slow but, not so much if you're fighting the wheelhop demon.

Best I could do with my BBP MT 3.73 car when absolutely stock was about 4.5 seconds. One Roush upper later and I can knock out low 4s all day long.

On the road, you need to basically launch barely off idle and roll into the throttle. TC/SC must be off to maintain maximum forward thrust.
What do you mean by roush upper? UCA? If that's the case ill take one I'm all about off the line but can't find any consistent info on how to do it... One post said v6 rear shocks another said anti roll bar not sure what to do
Old 05-23-2013, 01:44 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
What do you mean by roush upper? UCA? If that's the case ill take one I'm all about off the line but can't find any consistent info on how to do it... One post said v6 rear shocks another said anti roll bar not sure what to do
stiffer UCA and LCA will get rid of the wheel hop...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT