Sct tuner question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Sct tuner question

How long does it take to do the firmware update process?
92mustang2.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
I think mine took about 5 minutes.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Super snappy process.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Been working on this crap for about a hour and half.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Just install the bama race tune for the first time and all I can say is WOW. Installing the cat deletes tomorrow
Old 05-23-2013, 01:09 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I honestly felt the hybrid was stronger on my car
MGW SHORT SHIFTER
CDC CHIN SPOILER W/ BLACK BILLET GRILLS
BLACK JLT OIL SEPARATOR
ThinBlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:50 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinBlueLine View Post
I honestly felt the hybrid was stronger on my car
Lol well I have that one has well too
Old 05-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Do you have to do the relearn idle after a tune?
Old 05-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92mustang2.3 View Post
Absolutley
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GE3G View Post

Absolutley
How to relearn your idle? im curious on this one. Thanks
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

No, just drive it; unless you experience problems then you can try the idle relearn.

I tune mine and drive off. I've changed the tunes back and forth depending on my mood for the day and have never done the idle relearn to no ill effect.
MGW SHORT SHIFTER
CDC CHIN SPOILER W/ BLACK BILLET GRILLS
BLACK JLT OIL SEPARATOR
ThinBlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No, just drive it; unless you experience problems then you can try the idle relearn.

I tune mine and drive off. I've changed the tunes back and forth depending on my mood for the day and have never done the idle relearn to no ill effect.
Same here. Never done the idle retune. Tuned back and forth from Race, hybrid, performance and stock with no issues on the idle. Tune and cruise.
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
rick9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Nice.. I should just leave it since i have no problem. Just curious.. My race tune is more aggressive than my hybrid. Probably cos i tuned it for 93 and my hybrid is 91..
Old 05-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
How long does it take to do the firmware update process?
Depends - sometimes it takes a few minutes, but sometimes things go bad and it wipes the entire handheld. This process takes 1-2 hours.

Quote:
Yes, you are almost assured to have drivability issues if you don't. Anytime the ECU is "reset" you MUST perform the fuel trim/idle relearn procedure as outlined in your owners manual. Even disconnecting the battery cable for a few seconds will necessitate this.

Quote:

I strongly recommend against this course of action. It only takes a few minutes to complete the procedure properly and it's a pain to do it down the road.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post

Depends - sometimes it takes a few minutes, but sometimes things go bad and it wipes the entire handheld. This process takes 1-2 hours.

Yes, you are almost assured to have drivability issues if you don't. Anytime the ECU is "reset" you MUST perform the fuel trim/idle relearn procedure as outlined in your owners manual. Even disconnecting the battery cable for a few seconds will necessitate this.

I strongly recommend against this course of action. It only takes a few minutes to complete the procedure properly and it's a pain to do it down the road.
So just unplug the negative battery for 20 mins and put it back on. This will do its trick? Every time you change tune?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

It was weird, I crank it up and it stuck like it was still trying to crank, then the ac wouldn't get cold for about 20 minutes.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
So just unplug the negative battery for 20 mins and put it back on. This will do its trick? Every time you change tune?
No, that's redundant. When you load the tune you need to do the idle relearn on first startup. If you mess it up or forget to do it you can pull the battery cable to make it "forget" and then start it up and do the relearn. The procedure is very specific though, so make sure you read the directions completely before starting. I believe it needs to be a cold start for the process to start, so make sure the car has been sitting for a few hours first.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No, that's redundant. When you load the tune you need to do the idle relearn on first startup. If you mess it up or forget to do it you can pull the battery cable to make it "forget" and then start it up and do the relearn. The procedure is very specific though, so make sure you read the directions completely before starting. I believe it needs to be a cold start for the process to start, so make sure the car has been sitting for a few hours first.
Sorry too many questions here, where can i find the instructions for the idle relearn?
Old 05-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Ya same here, when I loaded my tune I just updated and off I was driving. I have a new tune coming in the next day or so and never gave the idle relearn a thought.

New Orleans FaceBook Mustang Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NewOrleansS550/
rm2092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Per the owners manual the idle relearn can be done two ways. While driving the car will learn on its own. Just can take longer. Or you can do the quick process. I've never done the quick process and the car has always ran fine. Now if it was acting up, I wouldn't hesitate to do the idle relearn the fast way.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
Per the owners manual the idle relearn can be done two ways. While driving the car will learn on its own. Just can take longer. Or you can do the quick process. I've never done the quick process and the car has always ran fine. Now if it was acting up, I wouldn't hesitate to do the idle relearn the fast way.
I just uploaded the page from the manual, nothing is mentioned about just driving around other than the requisite ten miles that is a part of the procedure.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Relearn Idle.pdf (48.7 KB, 211 views)
Old 05-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Even though the document does not specifically call out "driving around", I would conclude from reading the bullet points that "driving around" will eventually fix minor idle issues.

From the statement in bold in the manual: "If you do not allowthe engine to relearn its idle trim, the idle quality of your vehicle may be adversely affected until the idle trim is eventually relearned." This does not tell me what “eventually”means. Do they mean that I, as theowner, will “eventually” follow the steps to relearn the idle? That is a prettybig assumption. Or, on a more realistic assumption: Does “eventually” mean that as you drive more the computer will adjust the idle and fuel strategy? This seems more plausible.

The fact that Ford uses the word “may” in the sentence; “The vehicle may need to be driven 10 miles or more to relearn the idle and fuel strategy” does not explicitly make driving 10 miles a requisite for relearning the idle. Furthermore, this suggests that a 10 mile drive will not be enough distance, also suggesting that “driving around” is the best approach for the computer to relearn idle and fuel strategy.

The words "may" and “eventually" make these sentences ambiguousat best. I cannot come to a specific conclusion on what is guaranteed to relearn the idle and fuel strategy with the car other than “driving around”. IMHO.
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
rick9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick9550 View Post
Even though the document does not specifically call out "driving around", I would conclude from reading the bullet points that "driving around" will eventually fix minor idle issues.

From the statement in bold in the manual: "If you do not allowthe engine to relearn its idle trim, the idle quality of your vehicle may be adversely affected until the idle trim is eventually relearned." This does not tell me what “eventually”means. Do they mean that I, as theowner, will “eventually” follow the steps to relearn the idle? That is a prettybig assumption. Or, on a more realistic assumption: Does “eventually” mean that as you drive more the computer will adjust the idle and fuel strategy? This seems more plausible.

The fact that Ford uses the word “may” in the sentence; “The vehicle may need to be driven 10 miles or more to relearn the idle and fuel strategy” does not explicitly make driving 10 miles a requisite for relearning the idle. Furthermore, this suggests that a 10 mile drive will not be enough distance, also suggesting that “driving around” is the best approach for the computer to relearn idle and fuel strategy.

The words "may" and “eventually" make these sentences ambiguousat best. I cannot come to a specific conclusion on what is guaranteed to relearn the idle and fuel strategy with the car other than “driving around”. IMHO.
Or you could just follow the instructions in the manual. I'm not sure why everyone is so resistant to just following the directions, it's not hard or overly time consuming ...
Old 05-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I've swapped tunes over a dozen times and an idle relearn was never done. It's not necessary.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
I've swapped tunes over a dozen times and an idle relearn was never done. It's not necessary.
And there are dozens of people that had major issues after not performing the relearn. To say that it's not necessary on any car based on your experience with ONE car is not sound logic or good advice.

I concede that you may not have problems if you skip it, but many people have. It's such a simple procedure that eliminates the possibility of so many issues that I don't see the point in skipping it.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:44 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
and what is the quick process? un-plugging the battery?
Pegasus_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT