Best tune for 13 gt 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #1

Region: Florida
Best tune for 13 gt 5.0

Just got the car 2 months ago and wondering what the best cai and tuner is for the car. And if its a good idea to void the warranty so soon. It only has 2100 miles .. Thanks !
13stang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13stang5.0 View Post
Just got the car 2 months ago and wondering what the best cai and tuner is for the car. And if its a good idea to void the warranty so soon. It only has 2100 miles .. Thanks !
The factory tune isn't that bad. I also have a 13 5.0 and am Waiting out my warranty to tune.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Factory tune leaves a lot of power on the table, go with any of the big names; vmp, Bama, Lund, livernois, C&L, Steeda etc

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #4

Do you guys think its worth it though? I feel skeptical about ditching the warranty.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I would wait alittle... The stang is a quick car and the performance is there... Getting it to the ground is only issue... I would look i to suspention first... LCA and UCA... Lowering springs
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Waiting till 10k miles is a pretty safe bet, like ge3g said, do suspension first

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by GE3G View Post
I would wait alittle... The stang is a quick car and the performance is there... Getting it to the ground is only issue... I would look i to suspention first... LCA and UCA... Lowering springs
That's what I'm doing: suspension first. I figure might as well make the car as efficient as possible while waiting on the warranty, new suspension parts won't effect the warranty of any other systems in the car and if something breaks, the parts I've bought have lifetime warranties anyway.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #8

Yea I've already got 1" ford racing lowering springs on her.. Really made it handle better
Old 05-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Ok so I thought the same way that some of these guys do but I decided to pull the trigger and get the tune. I went with American muscle/ bama and tuned my 13 gt and wow. I couldn't imagine going back to stock. everything seems so much better now that the race tune is on there. Some of these guy are right to get suspension mods cuz it has so much power now that your gonna need it. I am currently work on getting some suspension parts now so I can get the power to the ground better. Anyways it worth every penny. You will enjoy it if you do decide to get a tune.

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeast0712 View Post
Ok so I thought the same way that some of these guys do but I decided to pull the trigger and get the tune. I went with American muscle/ bama and tuned my 13 gt and wow. I couldn't imagine going back to stock. everything seems so much better now that the race tune is on there. Some of these guy are right to get suspension mods cuz it has so much power now that your gonna need it. I am currently work on getting some suspension parts now so I can get the power to the ground better. Anyways it worth every penny. You will enjoy it if you do decide to get a tune.
Oh and if I where you. Don't get the CAI. Just get LCAs, relocation brackets and tune. It will be about the same amount of money maybe less.
redbeast0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #10

@redbeast yeah my buddies are ordering lower control arms and I was thinking of doing the same thing. I heard that bama is more conservative than the others.. I just don't wanna get rid of the warranty so early, I'm scared something could happen and I'd be screwed ...
Old 05-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
@redbeast yeah my buddies are ordering lower control arms and I was thinking of doing the same thing. I heard that bama is more conservative than the others.. I just don't wanna get rid of the warranty so early, I'm scared something could happen and I'd be screwed ...
I waited for 5K of rough driving and then tuned. Now at 21,000 miles never an issue.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I got mine tune at 2000 and I'm at 10000 now and not a single issues. I was worried at first about the warranty but it's whatever now. I just really enjoy the tune. Since you are lowered already get the relocation brackets and LCAs. Your car will be a lot faster that way. The later maybe get a UCA, and panhard and your good to go.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #13

Interesting.. So what brand tune did u get? Some people I talk to say bama isn't the best choice, that steeda is better. And what about cai's??
Old 05-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Interesting.. So what brand tune did u get? Some people I talk to say bama isn't the best choice, that steeda is better. And what about cai's??
I went with bama, but I don't know of any other company. I'm satisfied with bama and great customer service, they also help out a lot on this forum. As for CAI. Apparently it has problems on the 13s due to the hood vents and water on the filter or whatever. Other people on here will tell you that it is more of a dress up part then anything else. So I decided to stay with the stock air box. I would just play it safe and use the money on something else. Maybe go with the boss intake or something like that. If you still want to go for it take a look at steeda and c&l these brands have a CAI that helps with the water issues for the 13 only.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Eh the Ford Warranty is a joke anyways. Good luck getting them to actually do any work even if the car is stock.

That said, Bama tunes are a great starting point. They're basically free when you buy a tuner from them, and they will give you free updates as you experiment with different mods.

Now their tunes are very conservative, but that's not necessarily a bad thing when you're cutting your teeth. If you want something more aggressive down the road I would go with Lund or a Custom Dyno Tune (CDT).
Old 05-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeast0712 View Post
I went with bama, but I don't know of any other company. I'm satisfied with bama and great customer service, they also help out a lot on this forum. As for CAI. Apparently it has problems on the 13s due to the hood vents and water on the filter or whatever. Other people on here will tell you that it is more of a dress up part then anything else. So I decided to stay with the stock air box. I would just play it safe and use the money on something else. Maybe go with the boss intake or something like that. If you still want to go for it take a look at steeda and c&l these brands have a CAI that helps with the water issues for the 13 only.
Unless your aftermarket filter is completely submerged in water or you have a water hose spraying on top of your vents directly into your filter I wouldn't worry about hydrolock or any other water issues. The only example I saw with the water issue was when I saw an idiot spraying the water hose directly at the vents. Other than conspiracy of the water issue there has been no reports of damage to an engine because of an aftermarket CAI.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #17

I heard the steeda tune is the best?
Old 05-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I heard the steeda tune is the best?
Pretty much everyone says their tune is the best, but I've yet to see anyone provide actual proof or testing to back that up.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

my dealer told me to just take the tune off and come in. chances are they aren't going to search hard to see if your car was tuned / deny the **** out of it. obviously not all dealers are like this, so try and weed out the bad people at your dealer an try to get someone cool
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by acornsmoke View Post
my dealer told me to just take the tune off and come in. chances are they aren't going to search hard to see if your car was tuned / deny the **** out of it. obviously not all dealers are like this, so try and weed out the bad people at your dealer an try to get someone cool
If they get actual Ford involved and they are gonna have to put some money down to repair it, you better believe your PCM is getting pulled and checked for a tune.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by acornsmoke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
If they get actual Ford involved and they are gonna have to put some money down to repair it, you better believe your PCM is getting pulled and checked for a tune.
^ this

The issue is that at any point Ford can say "we aren't authorizing that repair until a field engineer comes to see it," at which point your PCM will be pulled and analyzed. Certainly that doesn't happen 100% of the time, but Ford cracked down pretty hard on warranty work in the last few years.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
AED/
fun4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

So if your motor blows and you have a tune, the dealer can automatically say it was the tuners flat and not pay for a new 5.0?
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride View Post
So if your motor blows and you have a tune, the dealer can automatically say it was the tuners flat and not pay for a new 5.0?
Yup. You got it. And that one you'll find it very hard to prove it wasn't the tunes fault.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride View Post
Do you really think they should?
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:41 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Im in the same spot as the OP. I want a tune soooo bad, because of the gains you get. Especially now that Im almost done with suspension, minus LCAs and UCA, and can hook much better. But i only have 4k on the car, and am terrified to void the warranty so soon. Decisions, Decisions.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Some tuners have a good record of not blowing motors, others such as BAMA give you a warranty. Then there is Diablo, which claims they're tunes are "special".
fun4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:08 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I've had some misfire issues around 2k to 4k miles and had it worked on at the dealership 3 times.. I'm at 6k now with no problems and I'm about to buy the boss power pack but I am worried that soon as I put it on and drive, something terrible will happen.. of course I have the worst luck in the world so I'm sure you'll be fine lol
LovinmyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:19 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun4me View Post
Some tuners have a good record of not blowing motors, others such as BAMA give you a warranty. Then there is Diablo, which claims they're tunes are "special".
Warranty? I've never heard that.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:24 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

Warranty? I've never heard that.
Bama warranties against the #8 failure from their tune. Has to be proven it happened because of their tune. Either way...when's the last time someone had a #8 cylinder issue. Was a 2011 year only issue really and I haven't heard of one failing #8 since early 2012.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:38 AM   #31

Region: Louisiana
I just installed my Air Raid CAI, Roush axel backs , and my custom Bama tune, and I felt power immediately, and as of right now a 2 mpg increase. I drive alot of highways so to me I'm excited about the little extra mileage
2014 Black GT Air Raid Race intake, BAMA performance Tune. Barton Short Throw Shifter with 2 post bracket, Roush axel-back exhaust, 20% tint on windows with 5% strip, 19X9.5 Niche Targa Rims, with Michelin Pilot A/S 3 265/40/19.
Stang_RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:07 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

That would be nice considering I drive an hour to get to work and back lol
LovinmyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:03 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang_RN View Post
I just installed my Air Raid CAI, Roush axel backs , and my custom Bama tune, and I felt power immediately, and as of right now a 2 mpg increase. I drive alot of highways so to me I'm excited about the little extra mileage
What tune are you running?
Old 05-24-2013, 06:23 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I heard Shawn @ AED has really good tunes. His Brembo Pkg ran a 11.7 @ 116 on just a E-85 tune and slicks
Ravnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:32 AM   #35

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013mustang5.0 View Post

What tune are you running?
Running 93 octane custom performance tune, If I probably switched to my 93 octane street tune I would probably get better mpg.. Currently at 23 mpg's
2014 Black GT Air Raid Race intake, BAMA performance Tune. Barton Short Throw Shifter with 2 post bracket, Roush axel-back exhaust, 20% tint on windows with 5% strip, 19X9.5 Niche Targa Rims, with Michelin Pilot A/S 3 265/40/19.
Stang_RN is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT