2013 5.0 3rd Gear problems? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #1

Region: Oklahoma
2013 5.0 3rd Gear problems?

Anyone else experience some problems with 3rd gear in their standard mustang? Sometimes my tranny pops when I shift into 3rd and its the only gear that I've had a problem going into. Also when I'm in 3rd and I'm holding the gear shifter I feel like its catching on something even when I am pushing the clutch in. Like its rubbing gears. I don't want the tranny to blow so if none of you are experiencing this then I'm gonna take the car back and let the warranty deal with it. Let me know what you guys think. My mustang is completely stock.
Shadow27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow27 View Post
Anyone else experience some problems with 3rd gear in their standard mustang? Sometimes my tranny pops when I shift into 3rd and its the only gear that I've had a problem going into. Also when I'm in 3rd and I'm holding the gear shifter I feel like its catching on something even when I am pushing the clutch in. Like its rubbing gears. I don't want the tranny to blow so if none of you are experiencing this then I'm gonna take the car back and let the warranty deal with it. Let me know what you guys think. My mustang is completely stock.
What do you mean by popping? Like a clunk or a thunk noise? My transmission clunks all the time when I shift at lower RPM's. I was going through the drive-thru at the bank and was right next to the building, I let out the clutch when I was in neutral and it made a really loud clunk. Kept depressing and releasing the pedal and the same noise was made each time. I've hear these tranny's are pretty noisy, especially with short throws installed.

I'd let the dealership take care of it, doesn't sound normal to me.
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Lots of people on here have trouble with the 2nd to 3rd shift and remedy it with either an aftermarket shifter or just a bracket like the Barton or mgw. As far as the feeling you have when it's already in third not sure about that one maybe someone will chime in that has had a similar experience.
Jayday20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You said it feels like 3rd is rubbing something? Is it like, intermittent, or a constant friction or rubbing feel?
Old 05-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Sounds like a synchro. Take it in.
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetag93 View Post
Sounds like a synchro. Take it in.
+1, especially if it's getting caught when trying to hit 3rd or grinding at all
Old 05-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #7

It feels like something is rapidly slightly tapping the gear shifter when I am in third. I will probably just take it in one day when I'm off work. The car runs fine I'm just worried about the long term effect it will have if I just ignore it. Might as well take full advantage of the warranty.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, let them foot the bill. I'm interested to see what it is!

Sounds like a tooh might be cracked on the 3rd gear.

2014 Mustang GT Premium w/Track Pack - Stock... for now.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #9

After I take it in and have them check it out I'll probably just buy a short throw shifter. I hate the stock one already. Anyone know if replacing the shifter voids any kind of warranty?
Old 05-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
After I take it in and have them check it out I'll probably just buy a short throw shifter. I hate the stock one already. Anyone know if replacing the shifter voids any kind of warranty?

It will only void the warranty if you take it in because something broke and they have to prove the aftermarket part caused it.

Hell, some GT's have short throws installed factory!
Old 05-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
It will more then likely void your warranty. Especially if its a synchro problem. Although i may not be what caused it, it would be pretty easy for them to say it did, and then you're SOL. I would wait a few thousand miles with no problems, especially if you're already having issues, to install a new shifter. Try just a bracket like the barton 2-post first. Shifter install is fairly easy though, so if you do your own work, if anything happens, just put the stock shifter back in before you take it for service. Thats what im going to do.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
It will more then likely void your warranty. Especially if its a synchro problem. Although i may not be what caused it, it would be pretty easy for them to say it did, and then you're SOL. I would wait a few thousand miles with no problems, especially if you're already having issues, to install a new shifter. Try just a bracket like the barton 2-post first. Shifter install is fairly easy though, so if you do your own work, if anything happens, just put the stock shifter back in before you take it for service. Thats what im going to do.
I think he's saying that he wants to install one.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstone94 View Post

I think he's saying that he wants to install one.
I would HIGHLY advise against it until hes confident he doesnt have any trans issues. Like a said, it would be extremely easy for them to pin a synchro problem on an aftermarket shifter. But as i mentioned, you always have the option of putting the stock one back in if you need to.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 05-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would HIGHLY advise against it until hes confident he doesnt have any trans issues. Like a said, it would be extremely easy for them to pin a synchro problem on an aftermarket shifter. But as i mentioned, you always have the option of putting the stock one back in if you need to.

Think he meant after it gets looked at too :p haha
Old 05-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Think he meant after it gets looked at too :p haha
Still....like i said before, even AFTER he gets it looked at/fixed/whatever, I would not install ANYTHING that could void my warranty, until i was 100% problem free for a couple thousand miles.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Still....like i said before, even AFTER he gets it looked at/fixed/whatever, I would not install ANYTHING that could void my warranty, until i was 100% problem free for a couple thousand miles.
Oh I see what you're saying. He could have Ford install it if he wanted... That way the warranty won't be voided. Didn't some Mustang's have short throws from the factory?
Old 05-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Oh I see what you're saying. He could have Ford install it if he wanted... That way the warranty won't be voided. Didn't some Mustang's have short throws from the factory?
not how it works...*sigh*...Just because a dealer installs it does not make it covered. If your tranny blows from the shifter Ford will not authorize the repair regardless of who installed it...

all 2011+ have a "short throw"
Old 05-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
not how it works...*sigh*...Just because a dealer installs it does not make it covered. If your tranny blows from the shifter Ford will not authorize the repair regardless of who installed it...

all 2011+ have a "short throw"
I could have sworn I saw a boss 302 with a short throw shifter on the window sticker. I read somewhere and was also told if the product is by Ford, Roush or Ford Racing and they install it, it's covered. I guess it wouldn't exactly apply to this situation, unless they've used that short throw on a new vehicle, again I could be wrong and they may never have installed that, haha. Still learning all this New Vehicle stuff, never dealt with warranties and always done my own work.

Also, he could still just pop out the short throw and put the stock back on if something ever did happen and they wouldn't know more than likely correct?
Old 05-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
I could have sworn I saw a boss 302 with a short throw shifter on the window sticker. I read somewhere and was also told if the product is by Ford, Roush or Ford Racing and they install it, it's covered. I guess it wouldn't exactly apply to this situation, unless they've used that short throw on a new vehicle, again I could be wrong and they may never have installed that, haha. Still learning all this New Vehicle stuff, never dealt with warranties and always done my own work.

Also, he could still just pop out the short throw and put the stock back on if something ever did happen and they wouldn't know more than likely correct?
I am pretty sure the boss 302 gets the same shifter we do. They have the same MT-82 transmission. Which like I said is technically a short throw shifter. The Shelby is the only V8 from 2011+ to get a different trans. Also Ford Racing, being that it isn't Ford, isn't exactly looked at that way always. I don't think anyone has gotten an official statement from Ford if they would cover the Ford Racing(barton) short throw if installed by a dealer or not. From the way the warranties work, they sure don't have too as it isn't a Ford Company OEM part.

yes you could swap back to stock. More than likely they would never know. A shifter won't leave any kind of finger print.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT