Just some information on CAI's - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Illinois
Region: Florida
Posts: 35
Just some information on CAI's

Just wanted to let you guys know I logged the IAT for the stock 2014 mustang GT 5.0L. No aftermarket CAI. Temps were consistently within 1-3 degrees of the outside air temp.

Of course at a stop they were much higher, but they dropped back to 1-3 difference within about 60 feet after beginning to move.

Other than having a shorter intake, or less restrictive which can be achieved with a filter swap for 40 bucks there is no reason I see in my mind to pay 400-500 dollars for a pipe and filter other than show.

Also putting a less restrictive filter may net you more power but 50K miles down the road you will have WAY more dirt and grime build up in your engine. The stock filter is the best filter.

Anyways I thought I'd chime in, feel free to blast away.
GWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Elmendorf
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,322
This has all been proven already and there are like 800 threads on it. I'm not trying to bust your balls or anything, but many people know when buying a CAI for our cars will do little, if anything.

All the real power comes from ways of cramming air down the engines throat. You'd be far better off running a boss manifold if you're looking to spend that kind of money, and the boss manifold helps alot. Combine that, with a decent exhaust and tune and you'll make some respectable N/A power.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
TommyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: La Mesa, Ca
Region: California
Posts: 559
They actually allow you to have a more aggressive tune. But it's mostly for looks.
__________________
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Depack21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Flanders
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 259
What about the ones that have larger tubes than the stock? That has to be better than just a drop in filter?
Depack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Davey13GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Blackwood
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 260
If a CAI doesn't provide much beneficial gain, than why does a tune require that you have a CAI?
Davey13GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Elgin ill
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Mine changed the sound of my car which is good enough for me
And with a sc I can run another pound of boost due to cai
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
doug5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: California
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey13GT View Post
If a CAI doesn't provide much beneficial gain, than why does a tune require that you have a CAI?
I don't think it's a requirement to have a CAI in order to tune your car. It is, usually, required to tune if you have a CAI. That's because, as it was explained to me, the Engine is very sensitive to changes in air volume, and although it delivers more air, (enough air to require a tune), it is not so much more efficient then stock to produce a large and noticeable difference in HP as it did in previous engines, (4.6). That being said I have a C&L CAI, because I assumed when I first got the car that this would be the most logical and best "bang for the buck" mod. Although I like it and it sounds great, I may have chosen otherwise when first starting to mod.
__________________

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey13GT View Post
If a CAI doesn't provide much beneficial gain, than why does a tune require that you have a CAI?
There is no tune that requires a cold air intake.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Kona Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Boynton black
Region: Florida
Posts: 183
Will you benefit from a tune on a stock 5.0 without getting a cai?
Kona Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
LovinmyGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florence
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 207
So I'm better off keeping my stock Cai and getting a boss intake manifold and tune it? Sorry to thread jack just getting ready to buy the boss power pack soon
LovinmyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug5.0 View Post

I don't think it's a requirement to have a CAI in order to tune your car. It is, usually, required to tune if you have a CAI. That's because, as it was explained to me, the Engine is very sensitive to changes in air volume, and although it delivers more air, (enough air to require a tune), it is not so much more efficient then stock to produce a large and noticeable difference in HP as it did in previous engines, (4.6). That being said I have a C&L CAI, because I assumed when I first got the car that this would be the most logical and best "bang for the buck" mod. Although I like it and it sounds great, I may have chosen otherwise when first starting to mod.
Like an o/r midpipe

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinmyGT View Post
So I'm better off keeping my stock Cai and getting a boss intake manifold and tune it? Sorry to thread jack just getting ready to buy the boss power pack soon
Yes
If I had a GT my first mods would be boss intake manifold and a tune
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
LovinmyGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florence
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 207
Ok cool I was planning that but wasn't sure if I should get an aftermarket Cai with it
LovinmyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
doug5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: California
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona Mike View Post
Will you benefit from a tune on a stock 5.0 without getting a cai?
Absolutely
__________________

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Elmendorf
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,322
Tunes are custom tailored to your mods. You could have every single bolt on minus a CAI and have your car tuned and vice versa. The reason a tune is required for a cold air intake is because the engine is very sensitive to the volume of air entering the engine and more importantly, how it is metered. Most cold air intakes either relocate the mass air sensor OR they place it in a larger tube which changes the volume of the airflow it has the potential to meter. Either one of those changes can greatly affect the sensor. Even just a slight degree rotation of the sensor from stock placement can cause idle issues and bucking under acceleration.

Point of the whole story is, the engine will only suck in so much air. I forget the formula, but I'm sure google would show you how to plug in the numbers and show the volumetric efficiency of the coyote motor. Allowing those numbers to increase, given any variable, would be what increases horsepower. A cold air intake could possibly increase the efficiency of the motor in higher rpms, and that will be where your gain is. But $ for $, you can find many other mods that get you the gain you seek.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
doug5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: California
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post

Like an o/r midpipe

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------



Yes
If I had a GT my first mods would be boss intake manifold and a tune
That's my next mod too, however... Based on the posts I've seen performance from mods like the Boss IM, (or throttle body if you we're so inclined), is maximized with a CAI.
__________________

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: chicago
Region: Illinois
Posts: 41
My tuner told me I'll get an extra 10 ponies w/ a CAI. But the sound it added was the missing link in my setup. I ran a stock cai tune, and the aftermarket cai tune feels a bit stronger.
fun4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
doug5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: California
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun4me View Post
My tuner told me I'll get an extra 10 ponies w/ a CAI. But the sound it added was the missing link in my setup. I ran a stock cai tune, and the aftermarket cai tune feels a bit stronger.
Possibly, I dyno tuned stock at 360rwhp, and added a C&L CAI and dyno tune and ended with 383rwhp. So a net 23 total for the tune and CAI. (2011 auto).
__________________

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug5.0 View Post

Possibly, I dyno tuned stock at 360rwhp, and added a C&L CAI and dyno tune and ended with 383rwhp. So a net 23 total for the tune and CAI. (2011 auto).
Was that on the same day, same dyno. And was the car tuned on the first run.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
doug5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: California
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

Was that on the same day, same dyno. And was the car tuned on the first run.
Next day, same dyno, 100% stock on 1st run. I realize there might be a small discrepancy due to weather, but its close enough for me.
__________________

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug5.0 View Post

Next day, same dyno, 100% stock on 1st run. I realize there might be a small discrepancy due to weather, but its close enough for me.
The tune is where you picked up the majority of your gains.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: chicago
Region: Illinois
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug5.0 View Post
Possibly, I dyno tuned stock at 360rwhp, and added a C&L CAI and dyno tune and ended with 383rwhp. So a net 23 total for the tune and CAI. (2011 auto).
Whose tune?
fun4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
doug5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: California
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

The tune is where you picked up the majority of your gains.
Definitely, which is why I am not confirming or denying how much could be gained with a CAI. It would be interesting to see a base dyno run, against a no tune required CAI, against a tune required CAI. My guess is that max gain from a CAI falls between 5-10 rwhp. I would also wonder how much is gained with a Boss IM with and without a CAI.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun4me View Post
Whose tune?
The tune was done by GTR in Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. http://www.gtrhipo.com/
__________________

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rynarok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
Tunes are custom tailored to your mods. You could have every single bolt on minus a CAI and have your car tuned and vice versa. The reason a tune is required for a cold air intake is because the engine is very sensitive to the volume of air entering the engine and more importantly, how it is metered. Most cold air intakes either relocate the mass air sensor OR they place it in a larger tube which changes the volume of the airflow it has the potential to meter. Either one of those changes can greatly affect the sensor. Even just a slight degree rotation of the sensor from stock placement can cause idle issues and bucking under acceleration.
For funs, I started mine up in stock configuration while between bama tunes with the JLT CAI still installed. She ran like complete *****. ZLwhat is correct, the aftermarket CAI changes the location of the sensor, and you are introducing the engine to a larger volume of air - which requires a tune for it to account for.

All things considered, I do not believe that I wasted money on my CAI, especially since mine came as a combo deal with the SF3 tuner and free bama tunes for life. I think it would be more of a waste to buy one of the CAI kits that do NOT require a tune, because that's been shown to not be an increase over the stock airbox at all.


...If I had to do it over again, I'd have bought upper and lower control arms first though. These cars have plenty of power in stock trim, and controlling that wheelhop should've been my first priority.
__________________
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
doug5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: California
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok View Post

For funs, I started mine up in stock configuration while between bama tunes with the JLT CAI still installed. She ran like complete *****. ZLwhat is correct, the aftermarket CAI changes the location of the sensor, and you are introducing the engine to a larger volume of air - which requires a tune for it to account for.

All things considered, I do not believe that I wasted money on my CAI, especially since mine came as a combo deal with the SF3 tuner and free bama tunes for life. I think it would be more of a waste to buy one of the CAI kits that do NOT require a tune, because that's been shown to not be an increase over the stock airbox at all.

...If I had to do it over again, I'd have bought upper and lower control arms first though. These cars have plenty of power in stock trim, and controlling that wheelhop should've been my first priority.
+1
__________________

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:40 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
blackbeast12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New castle
Region: Delaware
Posts: 187
Peanut butter alone on a piece of bread is boring, doesn't do anything for me, add jelly and now you got something.
__________________
2016 Gt/Cs autowith 3:55', mbrp cat back and a n/a build on the way!...
blackbeast12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:14 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Elmendorf
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast12 View Post
Peanut butter alone on a piece of bread is boring, doesn't do anything for me, add jelly and now you got something.
Attached Images
 
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:03 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
LovinmyGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florence
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast12 View Post
Peanut butter alone on a piece of bread is boring, doesn't do anything for me, add jelly and now you got something.


Click image for larger version

Name:	derp_is_in_the_air_32_photos27.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	110424

Pp&j is good... But lunchables are better!
LovinmyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:13 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
DallasStang77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,842
I think all this talk about CAI being useful or not kinda loses focus on at which point of the project does it start showing compounded improvements.

What I mean is a CAI alone with even just exhaust and tune would probably be a waste of money because only so much air is able to be sucked in and exhausted by the engine. So the freer flow of the open filter is lost and unrealized.

However, if you start adding headers and straight pipes and upgrade to the Boss manifold, TB, and/or turbo/supercharge applications then no stock air box will provide the necessary flow.

So for relatively lightly modified cars the primary benefit of CAI is the under hood look and louder intake sound (which I absolutely love).
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Maverick2004054's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cooper City
Region: Florida
Posts: 130
I believe this horse has been beaten to death, but once again the tune will be the reason why you pick up more HP. But with that being said, a tuner will have more freedom to produce more power with a CAI over the stock intake. Especially ones that are larger in diameter, this reduces turbulence in the pipe work, reduces velocity of air as well as increases volume to the next restriction I.e TB or Intake Mani. So if your goal is to combine the whole system to produce power, you will see a gain but it may not be noticeable until everything else is added to the mix! Laminar Flow + Volume - Velocity will always free up the ability to tune in more ponies!
Maverick2004054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



05:44 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.