Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Differential cover confusion

5K views 39 replies 8 participants last post by  Ubnbit 
#1 ·
So I am going to replace my differential fluid, have my reasons, and just check everything out, and figured while I was at it, might as well put a better cover on. Figured I should do a nice one that has a drain and fill plug while at it. I was looking at doing the GT500/Boss/track pack style cover with the fins to help with heat. My rear differential gets HOT. Anything to help. Now here is where I am confused.

There is the Ford Racing Differential Cover

There is the Steeda Modified Ford GT500 Differential Cover

Then last there is the flat out Ford GT500 differential cover.

So where I am confused is they all 3 seem to be the same dang thing at three different prices. The steeda claims it adds drain and fill plugs to the Ford OEM part, but the Ford OEM part shows drain and fill plugs on LMR. I am guessing they just have the wrong picture. So then the Steeda "modified" version seems to be the bes option. The Ford Racing part doesn't say anything about having fill and drain plugs but cost a fortune more.

So....Ford Racing and the actual Ford Cover seem to be identical minus the 70 dollar price difference. So from what I am reading the Steeda seems to be the best choice?

They are all finned, all increase rigidity of the axle housing, etc. onward but only the steeda has drain and fill plugs. Am I missing something?

Or does someone recommend a different cover entirely?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
Step 1:This one, just because. I have it and its awesome! Lol

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-88-diff-cover.html

Step 2:And put this in it, because I said so...

http://www.americanmuscle.com/royalpurple-maxgear-75w140-gearoil.html?source=igodigital

Step 3:Enjoy. Lol

Your welcome!
I thought about that too. I have royal purple in there now. Not sure if it is 85w140 or 75w140 though. Shop did it when I had gears done.

I liked the idea of the finned differental cover. Plus the steeda version is 50 bucks cheaper than the one you posted haha.

#4 ·
The differential cover is definitely an upgrade. I'm just wondering why the fluid is getting hot. I got a bad gear install at Hawkins speed shop in Richmond one time, but it made one helluva noise. When I tore it down after 50mi, the oil was burnt up. In your case, I would go with the heavier oil since its getting hot daily driving. As to your ? I'm confused too.

#5 · (Edited)
Well from the oil from what I understand the 75 vs 85 is the viscosity when cold. Then 140 is when hot. So hot operating temp is supposed to be no different between the two. Just cold operating temp.

But, I don't know if the 75vs85 will change it much. Haven't been able to find a clear answer. Also want to make sure I don't put uneeded stress on the differential in the winter by doing 85 unless I just swap it twice a year.

I believe stock the car comes with 75w140 and I would bet that is what the gear shop used. I am afraid because the rear differential sounds kinda hollow when tapping the cover and gets so hot that maybe it has leaked more oil than I figured. Could be burnt up too. Hence me wanting to tear it open and see.

Had other mods I wanted to do first but protecting the differential is obviously important.

#10 ·
Not trying to thread jack, but my buddy and I took my car out yesterday because he wanted to determine what kind of whine was coming from the rear of my car. I had always just assumed that it was really bad gear whine, but according to him (and I call him my veritable fountain of Mustang information) it's bearing noise. He made my day when he said that he and I could fix the car with a small amount of money as opposed to swapping gears.

While we're doing this, I may switch my diff cover too.

#12 ·
I plan on switching mine as well and was wondering the same thing as they all look the same minus a stamped logo. Gonna go with the steeda and change to royal purple. Was gonna do gear swap as well but am gonna go superchager down the road so no point. Nothing is shipping tom by the way with memorial day

#29 ·
thats a hell of a drive. I met up with grabberblue5.0 who is in louisville a few weeks back and that was a 2 hour drive. haha.

---------- Post added at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

I was just up in Boone county and ludlow last week. Stayed in wilder Hampton inn for a few nights.
where do you live normally? Guessing not near here to have a hotel haha.

#32 ·
Yes it is. That's awesome tho. I don't drive my car to work lol but if y'all see a little 98 black Tacoma standard cab without tinted windows y'all better honk!

---------- Post added at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

The next time I head up that way, I'm gonna holler at y'all. At least let y'all know I'm in the area. Lol

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 AM ----------

Somebody go over in the Shelby section and tell me what's up with my tc.

#33 ·
Yes it is. That's awesome tho. I don't drive my car to work lol but if y'all see a little 98 black Tacoma standard cab without tinted windows y'all better honk!

---------- Post added at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

The next time I head up that way, I'm gonna holler at y'all. At least let y'all know I'm in the area. Lol
Haha you will be ignored driving a little truck! :). Though you'd fit in with the rest of the people up here. Had a wedding down the road and I counted 23 raised trucks parked out front. Was just ridiculous.

#34 ·
Lmao. I'm gonna put an ME sticker on it so y'all will know its me. If I see y'all's cars and u don't honk or wave or something, ill get my little 4 wheel drive Tacoma up to speed and make u acknowledge me lol.

#36 ·
Bahahahahaha. Ok, I'm gonna have to drive the Shelby then. We will make it a little more fair.

---------- Post added at 12:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

Hmmmmm that's an idea. An FI 4x4 4 cyl Tacoma. Hmmmmm. I wonder what's out there lol.

#37 ·
I looked at adding FI of some kind to my 2007 Tundra at one point. :D

haha if you do and it is on one of my off days I'll gladly meet up with ya. Also keep in touch with grabberblue5.0 as there is a dyno day coming up I think in July it was? I am gonna bet it is down in louisville so be easy for you too hit and meet some of us. There are guys all through dayton, cincy/florence down into louisville lexington on here.

#38 ·
I'd love to dyno. Done a few things to it. I'd love to see where I am. It would help tell me where I need to go next. Lol everything now is so expensive. I need an O/R H or X, a new TB, lower it, and the list goes on.

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 AM ----------

I do plan on taking my car up a couple of times this summer, just for one of my buddies. When I figure out pretty close to when, ill let u know.

#40 ·
Awesome. Appreciate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.