Magnaflow Competition vs Roush Axelback - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

View Poll Results: Which exhaust?
ROUSH Axelback 21 91.30%
Magnaflow Competition Axelback 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #36
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
I have changed my mufflers twice in my car on level ground, and my car is lowered 1". It's super easy

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
I have changed my mufflers twice in my car on level ground, and my car is lowered 1". It's super easy
not everyone is skinny...lol.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #38
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

I manage to make my big head fit under the car just fine lol

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I manage to make my big head fit under the car just fine lol
true, it is inflated from the huge ego!
Old 06-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #40
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

true, it is inflated from the huge ego!
Yea... anyways...

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 06-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

Yea... anyways...
Lol
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Took an hour and 15 minutes. I left the mid pipe clamps alone and just kinda man handled them loose. Had just enough wiggle room. The WD 40 was absolutely a must. Couldn't get the rubber pieces out until i sprayed them up and then they slide out with relative ease.

Also, didnt even use a ramp, i just straddled my car over the ditch and threw a drop cloth down. All in all, nice and easy and sounds great. Wife rolled her eyes and said I looked like a kid in a candy store after I took her for a spin.
Tytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytus View Post
Took an hour and 15 minutes. I left the mid pipe clamps alone and just kinda man handled them loose. Had just enough wiggle room. The WD 40 was absolutely a must. Couldn't get the rubber pieces out until i sprayed them up and then they slide out with relative ease.

Also, didnt even use a ramp, i just straddled my car over the ditch and threw a drop cloth down. All in all, nice and easy and sounds great. Wife rolled her eyes and said I looked like a kid in a candy store after I took her for a spin.
Sounds like a successful day, good for you!
BattleBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

OK, now that the ROUSH is in, does anyone have experience with a good H pipe that fits. From what i understand the H pipe has a deeper growl sound than the X pipe. Is that the case? I was looking at the JBA H pipe 3" to 2.75" on American Muscle. How much louder will this make it. From what I can tell, it addes 5-10 HP. Is this true?
Old 06-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
OK, now that the ROUSH is in, does anyone have experience with a good H pipe that fits. From what i understand the H pipe has a deeper growl sound than the X pipe. Is that the case? I was looking at the JBA H pipe 3" to 2.75" on American Muscle. How much louder will this make it. From what I can tell, it addes 5-10 HP. Is this true?
Don't buy JBA. Garbage. Lethal O/R H is amazing.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Neither. MBRP Cat-Back
Old 06-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Why is JBA crap? Is the lethal on American Muscle? i cant seem to find it. Also the MBRP only has one review, lastly, the roush axle backs are 2.75, some of these are strait 3" pipe, without the scale down how do you attach them? is there a simple connector piece to downsize the pipe?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Roush without question!! I still think the full borla setup sounds the best tho!
Bighebs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #49

Region: North Carolina
I have the Magnaflow Competition. It's awesome below 4000rpm (very deep and rumble), and the idle is pure sex. However, it gets raspy at high RPMs.

It's a give and take situation with exhaust
89gtcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Does anyone have any experience or opinions about the Flowmaster American Thunder Classic Axle-Back? I really want a low grumble exhaust note. I do really like the Roush axle backs, but they seem raspy at higher RPMs...
DirtyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
Roush. Especially if that's all you're doing for now. They sound great when the rest of the exhaust is still kept factory. Down the road if you choose wether or not to go with headers or a Off Road X or H pipe, the Roush may not be the best choice. Magnaflow on the other hand sounds a little deeper and I've heard that they do drone, drone and purrr are two totally different things. You can have a super loud exhaust that just rumbles and purrs while your cruising at 65-75mph on the highway, then you can have a quieter exhaust that sounds better 90% of the time but in that mph range it will send this ominous vibration and humm throughout the cabin that on a long trip will make you feel like you're going deaf. The beautiful thing about the Roush is that they are always in demand for a reason. If you troll the classifieds, usually you can find a used set for around $250 in great condition. That being said, if you buy new for around $400 and change, you will not have a problem selling them down the road if they become too loud due to other mods. I can't say the same about the magnaflows. Good luck!
after full suspension my ears have enough noise to deal with. I couldn't imagine how bad it would be if it had exhaust drone as well
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

No sympathy had issues with his JBA because he subjected his to crappy weather. I, however, have a JBA h-pipe that I have had on my car about 8k miles and it looks just as new as the day I installed it. BUT, I live in south Texas, and my car has only ever seen rain once. Having said that, I would buy the JBA H-pipe again. It made my roush axleback even deeper at idle and added a little more depth/tone in the higher rpms.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
No sympathy had issues with his JBA because he subjected his to crappy weather. I, however, have a JBA h-pipe that I have had on my car about 8k miles and it looks just as new as the day I installed it. BUT, I live in south Texas, and my car has only ever seen rain once. Having said that, I would buy the JBA H-pipe again. It made my roush axleback even deeper at idle and added a little more depth/tone in the higher rpms.
I'm not the only person who has had problems with the JBA. Most people can't get them to seal properly without welding or RTV. Also the fact it was a little more than 2" longer than the stock setup or my lethal pipe. The fact it destroyed my 02 sensor even with anti sieze.

Also I would expect a product intended to be subjected to the elements to hold up. Not rust so bad the bolts instantly stripped trying to remove them.

It'd be one thing if I was one of a very few with issues with JBA products....but alas I am not.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm not the only person who has had problems with the JBA. Most people can't get them to seal properly without welding or RTV. Also the fact it was a little more than 2" longer than the stock setup or my lethal pipe. The fact it destroyed my 02 sensor even with anti sieze.

Also I would expect a product intended to be subjected to the elements to hold up. Not rust so bad the bolts instantly stripped trying to remove them.

It'd be one thing if I was one of a very few with issues with JBA products....but alas I am not.
Well I apologize on JBA'a behalf for your troubles . I would be willing to wager that most people who are having issues are seeing salt from winter weather, but I'm usually wrong. Only exhaust I've ever owned that rusted out in Texas was a set of 44 series flow masters. Who knows, maybe I'll take apart my exhaust and find all the same issues you did. I plan on replacing the manifolds with a full borla set-up into a rtr axleback anyways. Also, my tips don't stick out very far like yours did. The pic below was from about ten minutes after I put the JBA on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1549985806.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	478.9 KB
ID:	112672   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2518525623.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	112673  

Old 06-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post

Well I apologize on JBA'a behalf for your troubles . I would be willing to wager that most people who are having issues are seeing salt from winter weather, but I'm usually wrong. Only exhaust I've ever owned that rusted out in Texas was a set of 44 series flow masters. Who knows, maybe I'll take apart my exhaust and find all the same issues you did. I plan on replacing the manifolds with a full borla set-up into a rtr axleback anyways. Also, my tips don't stick out very far like yours did. The pic below was from about ten minutes after I put the JBA on.
There is a whole thread on SVT of people who just installed the o/r h from them and had trouble getting it to seal or fit properly.

Also yes I didn't know I had problems with the bolts or anything until I went to remove it. I also used a different brand as a comparison. I had gotten my JBA o/r x for 298 back last October and got the lethal o/r h for 269 and the build quality was far superior.

As for the tips. No idea. Maybe they just cut my pipe long or maybe it is because it was the X vs your H. I have no idea. Was definitely from there pipe.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

my brand new JBA O\R H has been leaking too. it's been almost a week so I might have to go back and see what's really going on down there!
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by acornsmoke View Post
my brand new JBA O\R H has been leaking too. it's been almost a week so I might have to go back and see what's really going on down there!
Definitely check out the thread on SVT. There are some good fixes on there. Personally I wouldn't be happy to have to do that on a brand new product but gotta do what ya gotta do.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Definitely check out the thread on SVT. There are some good fixes on there. Personally I wouldn't be happy to have to do that on a brand new product but gotta do what ya gotta do.
I feel ya, just love the sound too much to really complain. it'll get fixed !
Old 06-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yeah I understand. I actually had a member on here talk me out of just getting the JBA O/R H and just swap the X pipe for the H and not even fool with the cat delete removal. Glad he did.

I can tell you this. One thing that might leak, cause I had this with my O/R X when I installed it was one of the 02 sensors wasn't tight enough and had come loose and that was leaking. So don't forget to check those. I think I drove 3 weeks straight with it leaking and I was stumped as to where. It wouldn't leak under idle but under load it sure would.

If its the connection from the cat deletes to the h pipe, there is this flat metal clamps that most auto stores sell that you can buy that cranked down tight enough will conform to the pipes. Do that with a little RTV on each edge and those should seal perfectly.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

Quote:

dunno why it posted twice
Old 06-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmm....well if i don't go JBA H, is there another pipe that has the 3" down to 2.75" that would sound good with the Roush axlebacks?

On a side note my buddy at work drives a 08 vette z06 and said my exhaust sounded bad ***. Glad i went with the roush.

I also live in Texas, dallas area, so I'm not too concerned with salt, snow and what not. But i don't want to deal with any leaking or other issues. I want to keep with the low rumble sound over the raspy nascar sound. So an H pipe that will add that deeper grumble is what I'm looking for.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hmmm....well if i don't go JBA H, is there another pipe that has the 3" down to 2.75" that would sound good with the Roush axlebacks?

On a side note my buddy at work drives a 08 vette z06 and said my exhaust sounded bad ***. Glad i went with the roush.

I also live in Texas, dallas area, so I'm not too concerned with salt, snow and what not. But i don't want to deal with any leaking or other issues. I want to keep with the low rumble sound over the raspy nascar sound. So an H pipe that will add that deeper grumble is what I'm looking for.
....maybe....the Lethal O/R H I've mentioned more than once?

I dunno...might be a wild thought.....
Old 06-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #63
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

....maybe....the Lethal O/R H I've mentioned more than once?

I dunno...might be a wild thought.....
Not sure what your deal is this evening but you need to chill out

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Got these bad boys installed today. It's amazing how tame the stock exhaust was... Now the bark matches the bite!!

Name:	image-3361448400.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	473.0 KB
ID:	113633

Name:	image-195973782.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	518.6 KB
ID:	113634

Name:	image-4152131849.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	415.0 KB
ID:	113632

Name:	image-3142784423.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	458.1 KB
ID:	113635

Name:	image-4008751761.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	422.4 KB
ID:	113636

Name:	image-1902801113.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	428.7 KB
ID:	113637
DirtyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDawg View Post
Got these bad boys installed today. It's amazing how tame the stock exhaust was... Now the bark matches the bite!!
Smart man! Now get a H pipe

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT