Magnaflow Competition vs Roush Axelback - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

View Poll Results: Which exhaust?
ROUSH Axelback 21 91.30%
Magnaflow Competition Axelback 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Magnaflow Competition vs Roush Axelback

I have done a lot of research and like most people and torn between 2 exhaust systems. I Have a 2012 GT 5.0 that is pure stock as of now and i am treating myself for it one yr birthday.

I am torn between ROUSH axelback and Magnaflow Competition Axelback.

I have listen to multiple sound clips and some sound great while others are just ehhh.... on both systems.

From what I gather Roush seems to be a favorite over at AM and has lots of great reviews with no drone but screams at WOT. I have listen and it sounds more like a NASCAR rev on the roush.

The Magnaflow apparently has a little drone, which I dont mind as I am driving a Muscle car and I want to hear her purr. This one seems to be a deeper rumble but perhaps not as loud on the WOT from the vids I have seen.

I am on the fence but am looking for the deeper muscle car sound rather than just being totally WTF that was loud.

Has anyone been torn between these two or perhaps heard both in person, I have heard neither in person. Any advice for a first time stang owner?
Thanks

I have attached a poll please vote as too which one has a more deeper growl and muscle sound, regarless of drone, WOT, i just want a rumble, almost like a Harley (but i know i wont get that).
Tytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I like the roush
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
ROUSH....

New Orleans FaceBook Mustang Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NewOrleansS550/
rm2092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Borlas are better.. you want loud get the ataks.. I have the stingers I love them... No drone. 100% satisfied

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

But if its between those two get Roush.
LovinmyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I agree i love borla's. waited two months for the atak's to come back in stock and finally just got impatient and ordered something else.
Between the two defiantly the roush
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Roush. Especially if that's all you're doing for now. They sound great when the rest of the exhaust is still kept factory. Down the road if you choose wether or not to go with headers or a Off Road X or H pipe, the Roush may not be the best choice. Magnaflow on the other hand sounds a little deeper and I've heard that they do drone, drone and purrr are two totally different things. You can have a super loud exhaust that just rumbles and purrs while your cruising at 65-75mph on the highway, then you can have a quieter exhaust that sounds better 90% of the time but in that mph range it will send this ominous vibration and humm throughout the cabin that on a long trip will make you feel like you're going deaf. The beautiful thing about the Roush is that they are always in demand for a reason. If you troll the classifieds, usually you can find a used set for around $250 in great condition. That being said, if you buy new for around $400 and change, you will not have a problem selling them down the road if they become too loud due to other mods. I can't say the same about the magnaflows. Good luck!
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Between those two get the roush for sure. Roush is really deep on a cold start and mellows out a little as the car warms up. It also sounds really aggressive all the way from idle to redline, but it has a little crackle or gurgle on decel. Like others say, roush has zero drone and to me it's how a muscle car should sound.

The magnaflows do sound deep at idle, but once you start accelerating it starts popping and cracking like fireworks, especially while you are shifting. As a matter of fact, I'd compare them to the pypes axle bombs as far as loudness and quality of sound.

I would say, don't get either of those exhaust if you plan on getting long tube headers or an off road x-pipe in the future. Both of them would be far too loud, and you would easily grow tired of them. If you plan on keeping a somewhat stock exhaust then I would say roush. I run roush and plan on keeping them until I can pull the trigger on long tubes, off road x-pipe and the rtr axlebacks.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Roush all the way!!!! Not a lot louder than stock when you're behaving but when ya wanna cut loose......its awesome. The more throttle the more GRINS!!!
351CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Seems to be a consensus. I also found this clip. Apparently this guys is running a stock 5.0 with just the axel back's, and I got to say, this is LOUD!

Old 05-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Borla but if between those two roush.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #11
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Roush sound amazing if you aren't gonna do anything else but if you plan to do a O/R mid pipe later go with the Mags. The Roush is horrible without cats.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Sent ya a pm brother, I have some of these lying around somewhere
Old 05-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

There's a 13gt with roush ab n I have to say it sounds nice and deep.
Torchred2010gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

+1 for Roush. I have had them on two separate mustangs and love the sound. Picked up a used set this time around.
Redrader26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
I have a 2012 GT. when I got it I had the Roush AB on it! He it sounded bad *** ! But got tired of the rust on the selfs!! So I got the MagnFlows and I love them!! Thay have a deep tone to them! And with WOT they are do much louder then the Roushs!! I just have the high ow cats, the sto k resonators and the MagnFlows comp Axle backs and I get so many people who loves the sound of my car.. I'm glad I got them!!! The only drone I get is at 2000 RPMs bug it's gone by 2100 RPMs!!! You'll love them. .... I'm sure of that!!!!

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
Between those two get the roush for sure. Roush is really deep on a cold start and mellows out a little as the car warms up. It also sounds really aggressive all the way from idle to redline, but it has a little crackle or gurgle on decel. Like others say, roush has zero drone and to me it's how a muscle car should sound.

The magnaflows do sound deep at idle, but once you start accelerating it starts popping and cracking like fireworks, especially while you are shifting. As a matter of fact, I'd compare them to the pypes axle bombs as far as loudness and quality of sound.

I would say, don't get either of those exhaust if you plan on getting long tube headers or an off road x-pipe in the future. Both of them would be far too loud, and you would easily grow tired of them. If you plan on keeping a somewhat stock exhaust then I would say roush. I run roush and plan on keeping them until I can pull the trigger on long tubes, off road x-pipe and the rtr axlebacks.
You need to have them befor you tell someone they pop like fire crackers!! They do nothing like that!! I have more people who say the love the sound of my car!! Sounds bad ***!!! Like a muscle car should

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

I won't by a Roush exhaust system again after indtalling the Magnaflow!!!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominkc View Post

You need to have them befor you tell someone they pop like fire crackers!! They do nothing like that!! I have more people who say the love the sound of my car!! Sounds bad ***!!! Like a muscle car should

I won't by a Roush exhaust system again after indtalling the Magnaflow!!!!
Sorry, I was basing that off my buddies 2013 gt. He's actually trying to sell his exhaust because he hates the drone. I've only rode with him once and I didn't even notice it though. I did notice the popping so maybe he has a different type of muffler then you do, or maybe you think differently than I do as far as the popping sound? I dont doubt that it sounds great to some, but everyones opinion is different. Matter of fact, I heard the rtr exhaust with an offroad x-pipe and fell in love. Dont think i have ever heard a better sounding exhaust.

Even my roush would pop on occasion, but once I put on the JBA h-pipe it smoothed it out a little. I'd put the roush on again 10 times before I purchased my buddies magnaflows, but that's my opinion. You have yours
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Great thread guess its time to get the roush..... I've been batting back and forth too.
Brandon280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:31 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I love my roush.there a good price. I just dont see spending 6 or 700 on an AB I get alot of compliments even from guys with camaros
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:10 AM   #19
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
I love my roush.there a good price. I just dont see spending 6 or 700 on an AB I get alot of compliments even from guys with camaros
I felt the same way about my roush, then I got my FRPP sport, granted I bought them used so they only cost me $400 but I would pay full price at $700 for them now knowing how great they are.

Like mentioned a few times above, roush is great if you're staying catted, when you go catless they have a tendency to trumpet pretty badly in the 2-3500 rpm range.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:09 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Staying catted so roush it is.....
Old 05-31-2013, 09:25 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post

I felt the same way about my roush, then I got my FRPP sport, granted I bought them used so they only cost me $400 but I would pay full price at $700 for them now knowing how great they are.

Like mentioned a few times above, roush is great if you're staying catted, when you go catless they have a tendency to trumpet pretty badly in the 2-3500 rpm range.
+1
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Nothing is better than Roush on Mustangs, they have their stuff dialed in. If you really want to compare and contrast the two, try looking up some videos on YouTube as I've seen ones with the Roush axleback, and its just reminds you of what the old muscle cars of the 60's and 70's used to sound like. The only thing with the Roush is that you have to put your foot in towards the higher RPM's for it to really be alive. But pick whatever you feel is best, this is just my 2 cents.
BattleBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
Nothing is better than Roush on Mustangs, they have their stuff dialed in. If you really want to compare and contrast the two, try looking up some videos on YouTube as I've seen ones with the Roush axleback, and its just reminds you of what the old muscle cars of the 60's and 70's used to sound like. The only thing with the Roush is that you have to put your foot in towards the higher RPM's for it to really be alive. But pick whatever you feel is best, this is just my 2 cents.
Somewhat agree only if you have cats. Else wise they sound like complete garbage. Also I still think Borla has a better muscle car sound than roush.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:52 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Somewhat agree only if you have cats. Else wise they sound like complete garbage. Also I still think Borla has a better muscle car sound than roush.
Yes, don't get Roush without cats, especially if there are laws against it in certain states for highway usage. I just like it because it reminds me of those old school muscle cars
BattleBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:08 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the input, any way i go I don't think the wife will be happy with the umm noise increase.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:01 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Roush all the way
GT fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:23 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
Still think you would be alot happier with the Magnaflow comp series AB!! If you want you mustang to sound old school!!! I'm so glad I changed from Roush to the Magnaflow comp series! But hay... That's my 2 cents also!!!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
My vote is for Roush. Never heard the Magnaflow on a Mustang, but I had magnaflows on my '04 F150 and they had annoying highway drone.

I have the Roush and it's pretty awesome. I will say though, when you really scream it out in the gears, it's obnoxiously loud.
Davey13GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon280 View Post
Thanks for all the input, any way i go I don't think the wife will be happy with the umm noise increase.
I just made an agreement with my wife that this is my hobby, it's what I do for me. I don't tell her what she can do with her hobby, and she can't tell me what to do with mine. As long as it doesn't deeply impact our finances or safety we're both fine with staying out of each other's hobby LOL!

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
get Roush, you wont be disappointed. They are really loud past like 4K RPM but still tame when you want them to be.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I went with the Roush and am about to install them. I have a question on the installation as everyone on AM said it was easy in about an hour. Do i have to actually remove the clamps down towards the base of the H pipe? The instructions say to do this, but since its an AB only I figure it was just a quick change of the clamps behind the mufflers?

I just have the manual jacks so its not to easy to get that far down under the car. Does the H pipe clamp have to come off to allow the mufflers some slack to take out or are the Roush instructions for a full catback system?

Thanks
Old 06-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytus View Post
I went with the Roush and am about to install them. I have a question on the installation as everyone on AM said it was easy in about an hour. Do i have to actually remove the clamps down towards the base of the H pipe? The instructions say to do this, but since its an AB only I figure it was just a quick change of the clamps behind the mufflers?

I just have the manual jacks so its not to easy to get that far down under the car. Does the H pipe clamp have to come off to allow the mufflers some slack to take out or are the Roush instructions for a full catback system?

Thanks
For just the axle backs? Shouldn't have to loosen the H pipe clamps. All that would do is allow you to turn the OTA pipes. Unless they think it is easier to loosen them to manipulate them. I never did that when I installed the roush a year and a half ago or when I switched to the borlas.

You are not using the flat tire jack are you? Your asking to die if you are. Go buy ramps and pull the car backwards on ramps. Best 25$ you will spend until your lowered.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytus View Post

Thanks
No need. Just remove the rear most hanger bracket with the stock muffler and it'll save u some frustration.
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetag93 View Post

No need. Just remove the rear most hanger bracket with the stock muffler and it'll save u some frustration.
You don't even need to do this. Pick up some silicone lube from like walmart for $3 and the hangers slide right out with no effort.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, yeah im a noob when it comes to cars but im learning. Ill go get some ramps, also, jacking up cars is a pain in the ***. Ill just go with the back muffler clamps. Thanks for the quick post.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT