Question about Ford IDS - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Question about Ford IDS

So long story short, I'm looking for a way to get a tune, without voiding my warranty. I know a tune will automatically void my warranty, and removing the tune will still leave a footprint in the ecu.

Anyway, i was talking to my good friend who used to be a certified diesel tech with Ford, and he told me that he has a buddy who owns a non-dealership shop, and has all the latest Ford IDS software. From what he told me, with the IDS software his friend could basically reset and wipe my ecu clean of all the footprints the tune would leave if i ever had to bring the car in for motor work. Is that true? He already spoke with his friend, who said he would be more then happy to do it for me if i ever needed it, but i just want to confirm that that will work. I know Ford will probably still find it weird my pcm was wiped, but i feel they would have a tough time denying warranty work because of it. Im dying for a tune lol
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
If you can afford to pay for big repairs in case they deny the warranty, then do it.. If not, I wouldn't risk it bro Your car and money though..
Gordito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordito View Post
If you can afford to pay for big repairs in case they deny the warranty, then do it.. If not, I wouldn't risk it bro Your car and money though..
I already know they will deny it with a tune..... Hence the reason im asking about IDS software. If i had the money to throw away, Id have done it a long time ago. Hoping that someone who either works for Ford, or has IDS experience will chime in.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
pretty sure they can still read if the ecu has been wiped
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
It's a computer, yes you can tune it and not leave a trace. BUT....... is your buddy smarter than the electrical engineers at Ford. The boys at Bama aren't.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
It's a computer, yes you can tune it and not leave a trace. BUT....... is your buddy smarter than the electrical engineers at Ford. The boys at Bama aren't.
I hear ya. Just sucks cause i know how much im leaving on the table without a tune. Say i get i tune though, will ford void ALL motor component warranty work as well? Like say my water pump fails etc., will they try and blame the tune for that as well?
Old 05-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post

I hear ya. Just sucks cause i know how much im leaving on the table without a tune. Say i get i tune though, will ford void ALL motor component warranty work as well? Like say my water pump fails etc., will they try and blame the tune for that as well?
As long as your dealer doesn't say anything, they will more than likely fix anything that's not major. (motor, trans, rear end )

Unless your tracking the car, your not gonna feel as much difference as you think.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

As long as your dealer doesn't say anything, they will more than likely fix anything that's not major. (motor, trans, rear end )

Unless your tracking the car, your not gonna feel as much difference as you think.
Gotcha. Well good thing is, i live within a distance of atleast 4 major Ford dealers. Guess I will call around and see what they all say.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

Disagree on not feeling anything. I sure do with my bama tune and all I hear is how conservative they are.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Quote:

Gotcha. Well good thing is, i live within a distance of atleast 4 major Ford dealers. Guess I will call around and see what they all say.
The thing is too, say your buddy wipes and you take it to the dealer they are going to see it was just wiped and are going to want to know why it was magically wiped then. Say you blow the transmission, what honest excuse they would remotely believe could the guy who wiped it have for why he wiped the ECU for a blown trans other than you had a custom tune your hiding.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

The thing is too, say your buddy wipes and you take it to the dealer they are going to see it was just wiped and are going to want to know why it was magically wiped then. Say you blow the transmission, what honest excuse they would remotely believe could the guy who wiped it have for why he wiped the ECU for a blown trans other than you had a custom tune your hiding.
Would they deny transmission work as well because of a tune?
Old 05-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Would they deny transmission work as well because of a tune?
If they can link it to the reason why the trans failed. Has happened before. Forget who but someone here got denied and ended up paying for a new transmission.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If they can link it to the reason why the trans failed. Has happened before. Forget who but someone here got denied and ended up paying for a new transmission.
Damn. Guess im stuck without a tune for awhile.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I mean don't get me wrong I say tune it and just be thankful for what they do cover. I just think anyone should tune their car and then be mad when Ford tries to deny your warranty repair because the car is tuned if it seems valid.

Blaming a bad battery on a time, obviously being picky, but major engine problems or trans problems I'd actually be amazed to not have them try it.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I mean don't get me wrong I say tune it and just be thankful for what they do cover. I just think anyone should tune their car and then be mad when Ford tries to deny your warranty repair because the car is tuned if it seems valid.

Blaming a bad battery on a time, obviously being picky, but major engine problems or trans problems I'd actually be amazed to not have them try it.
Yeah i hear ya. Guess I've got some thinking to do haha

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT