Ford K springs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Ford K springs

If I go with Ford Racing K springs, a set of rear LCA's and a rear UCA, is there anything else necessary? I figured if I'm going to do lowering springs might as well do the rear CA's.
Davey13GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

U definitely need a panhard bar to recenter the rear axle

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

Adjustable
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Panard bar. Ok. K springs are 1.5" drop front and rear, H&R sports are 1.7" and 2.4". Is that better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Nosympathy went with that setup with Konis (forgot which ones) I'm sure he will chime in... That's a pretty aggressive drop, is it a DD??
Old 05-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
The required equipment to properly lower a car has been thoroughly discussed. You'll get a lot of opinions, but there is a lot of information you could read right now if you browse or search the existing threads.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
The required equipment to properly lower a car has been thoroughly discussed. You'll get a lot of opinions, but there is a lot of information you could read right now if you browse or search the existing threads.
You guys always say that.. instead of writing a paragraph telling him to go search crap up just answer his question. Might tell him some information different to those past threads and there scenarios.
LovinmyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinmyGT View Post
You guys always say that.. instead of writing a paragraph telling him to go search crap up just answer his question. Might tell him some information different to those past threads and there scenarios.
Yes, when people ask a question that's been discussed over and over without making any effort at all to find that information on their own, I do say that. There is no "new information" on lowering S197s at this point - we've been discussing it since 2005. I'm also not sure I would call two brief sentences a paragraph, but to each their own.

If it bothers you so much, you could have went and searched all the existing threads and vendor write ups instead of trolling me.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

It goes both ways, and trust me if you've been on here as long as some of us you would understand why we want people to search, at least once a week a new lowering thread comes up asking the same question.

On the flip side, some of the threads fall off and are gone altogether after a certain amount of time, and while there is no new info, sometimes things will be learned by the teacher and the student when asking questions.

Maybe I should just start merging threads

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Haha fair enough I don't feel like arguing.. just liked the trolling part.. your kinda trolling yourself right? Lookin for threads that have been discussed already and chiming in? Thread police? Lol you didn't have to say anything but you really felt the need to. Just thought it was funny. Have fun shuttin down threads goof!
Old 05-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
It goes both ways, and trust me if you've been on here as long as some of us you would understand why we want people to search, at least once a week a new lowering thread comes up asking the same question.

On the flip side, some of the threads fall off and are gone altogether after a certain amount of time, and while there is no new info, sometimes things will be learned by the teacher and the student when asking questions.

Maybe I should just start merging threads
The problem is two-fold here.
  1. There are exactly zero tech stickies.
  2. Old threads are automatically locked and can not be contributed to and/or bumped.

That said, the information is still relevant and could be searched. I'm a lot more receptive to questions when I get the feeling someone made at least the slightest effort to educate themselves before expecting us to do all the work for them. Even if everything they researched was wrong and total crap, I'm always more than happy to set people down the right path with supporting information.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly i think its good to start a new thread up.. I'm not just talking bout lowering springs I know its been on here quite a bit but you can't go wrong getting knowledgable information from people who know there *****.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha fair enough I don't feel like arguing.. just liked the trolling part.. your kinda trolling yourself right? Lookin for threads that have been discussed already and chiming in? Thread police? Lol you didn't have to say anything but you really felt the need to. Just thought it was funny. Have fun shuttin down threads goof!
It's just that entitlement mindset what hacks me off. "Why should I spend the the time searching when someone else can do it for me?" Is that really the kind of userbase we're trying to breed here? How do you think fostering that kind of thinking will lead to technical contribution down the road. If all of us thought like that, there wouldn't even be any tech to talk about because we would all just take our cars to a speed shop and get our eyeballs raped out by their prices because everyone was too damn lazy to figure anything out or do any research.

I may come across as an ***, but consider this for a moment; all I am trying to do is to get people to think for themselves, do their own research, make their own conclusions, and if they still have questions to ask it in a way that will help others understand. Is that REALLY such a bad thing?
Old 05-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The problem is two-fold here.

[*]There are exactly zero tech stickies.[*]Old threads are automatically locked and can not be contributed to and/or bumped.

That said, the information is still relevant and could be searched. I'm a lot more receptive to questions when I get the feeling someone made at least the slightest effort to educate themselves before expecting us to do all the work for them. Even if everything they researched was wrong and total crap, I'm always more than happy to set people down the right path with supporting information.
I just think your a grumpy old fart who has nothin better to do. Doin research is good, but there's a lot of tricks and things that guys/gals can tell ya on here that freakin Google doesn't say!
Old 05-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I just think your a grumpy old fart who has nothin better to do. Doin research is good, but there's a lot of tricks and things that guys/gals can tell ya on here that freakin Google doesn't say!
Right, and it's been said, many many times. You're missing the point entirely ...

Anyways, nice derail. It's been fun.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #15
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

No name calling, only warning

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
I just think your a grumpy old fart who has nothin better to do.
Hilarious!!! If you only knew how much Napoleon "could" help you. Your mind would explode. Lol
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Lol if I only got one warning then I guess I shoulda said somethin a little meaner than grumpy old fart haha but oh well. I'm done

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

Key word there.. could. If he's not willing to help someone with a simple question then that's bad. But hey there's like 1000 other people that know just as much so I'm good
Old 05-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Lol if I only got one warning then I guess I shoulda said somethin a little meaner than grumpy old fart haha but oh well. I'm done

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

Key word there.. could. If he's not willing to help someone with a simple question then that's bad. But hey there's like 1000 other people that know just as much so I'm good
Good luck getting that other thousand to help you, with an attitude.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
Nosympathy went with that setup with Konis (forgot which ones) I'm sure he will chime in... That's a pretty aggressive drop, is it a DD??
To try and get this back on topic somewhat. Lol. For me the H&R SS with the Koni strt rides really well. They are going to ride like *** on stock shocks and struts. There are even some after market shocks and struts that can't handle them very well. We determined by another member than bilsteen can't. His ride would bottom out all the time with that combo. Mine with the konis almost never do.

Now that being said. There is a risk. You sit hella low. There are places I can't drive anymore. Not really roads but like the Wendy's near my work I can't go to because of the way the exit it. With the stock suspension I could barely leave that place and not scrape though.

You just have to drive more cautiously lowered this much. Also bumps on the highway. Like say where one section is uneven with another section of pavement will throw you hard. I'm 5'6" and haven't hit the ceiling yet but if you were taller, head bang city. Haha.

No one that goes in my car ever complains about the ride though, might be because they can't get words out once I hit the gas pedal.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

He did help, that's the part your not seeing. Telling someone simply to use the search function is not telling them to get lost or anything like that. In fact, it's the exact opposite. Why give someone a one sided and biased answer to a question that has been discussed over a 1000 times? When they utilize the search bar they can get the point of view from 1000's of people on here, pics of different setups, reviews, issues, etc... The two or three people contributing to this thread can't supply a fraction of that. So instead of them taking the time to search, some of which may not know its possible, they ask the same question again and again. Which is fine, but it's also fine to inform them that their question has been answered and then inform them as how to find it.

More and more ME has turned into massive disorganized chaos. Hardly anybody posts in the right sections. There aren't enough stickies. Not enough tech talk. And nothing ever stays on topic. I still find myself coming back here because of the humor and there's some good people on here. But a times it seems like the vision that someone had for ME is gone. And their only solution is closing threads, banning people, and changing rules that don't fully get unforced. Just my 2cents.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post

He did help, that's the part your not seeing. Telling someone simply to use the search function is not telling them to get lost or anything like that. In fact, it's the exact opposite. Why give someone a one sided and biased answer to a question that has been discussed over a 1000 times? When they utilize the search bar they can get the point of view from 1000's of people on here, pics of different setups, reviews, issues, etc... The two or three people contributing to this thread can't supply a fraction of that. So instead of them taking the time to search, some of which may not know its possible, they ask the same question again and again. Which is fine, but it's also fine to inform them that their question has been answered and then inform them as how to find it.

More and more ME has turned into massive disorganized chaos. Hardly anybody posts in the right sections. There aren't enough stickies. Not enough tech talk. And nothing ever stays on topic. I still find myself coming back here because of the humor and there's some good people on here. But a times it seems like the vision that someone had for ME is gone. And their only solution is closing threads, banning people, and changing rules that don't fully get unforced. Just my 2cents.
I wouldn't be on here as much but s197 still hasn't approved my account 3 weeks later.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

I wouldn't be on here as much but s197 still hasn't approved my account 3 weeks later.
mustang evolution brother. Seems some of the most knowledgeable ppl on here, have relocated there. The humor factor here keeps me coming back tho.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

I've been waiting too. With two accounts because I thought I messed up the first one.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I run the k-springs. I installed them with stock shocks at first and the ride wasn't too bad. I installed my adjustable panhard bar at the same time. Next mod was lower control arms and relocation brackets, then d-spec shocks, then finally and adjustable upper control arm.

All parts are not needed, but to get the most out of everything it is best to do them all. I do not have camber bolts or camber plates, and my alignment is in spec and no noticable uneven tire wear. On the stock brembo 19's the k-springs looked better than they do with my 18" f14's. After installing the paxton, I am happy with my drop again, and do not plan to change the springs.

I drive my car daily and think that if I was to do it again I would do the springs, shocks, strut mounts and panhard bar all at the same time. Hope this helped, if you have any other questions just let me know.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:21 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I have been looking at other threads, but I couldn't find an answer on how low is too low. It's a daily driver and I'd rather not change out shocks and struts just yet. Just want to get rid of the wheel gap.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:58 AM   #26
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey13GT View Post
I have been looking at other threads, but I couldn't find an answer on how low is too low. It's a daily driver and I'd rather not change out shocks and struts just yet. Just want to get rid of the wheel gap.
Well I'll tell you this much, I'm lowered 2.25"/2" and my ride is awful! Seriously, I hate it. Which is why I bought coilovers. So I can hit that perfect combination of drop and comfortable ride. Mine is a DD too.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:21 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Funny thread, Info I got was K springs are 1.5" drop, thanks for that. I used Stack Racing 1.5"
drop on the rear only, with Whiteline brackets. I am waiting on my stock shocks & struts to
wear before I do the fronts. Cheers!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam2012 View Post
I drive my car daily and think that if I was to do it again I would do the springs, shocks, strut mounts and panhard bar all at the same time. Hope this helped, if you have any other questions just let me know.
Me too! I also would have done all this and control arms/mounts/brackets before THINKING about adding power. I caused myself a lot of headache and rework by piecing some of this stuff together.

When I installed my pro-kit springs, I reused the strut mounts and they only lasted for about three months. At that point I had to make a call between spending money I didn't really have on new struts, knowing I was going to replace them eventually, or "wasting" money on 11+ CC plates or Steeda mounts.

I strongly agree with your recommendation - do all that at once. You can also save some time/money/frustration if you get the struts/springs/mounts and have a local shop throw them together for you. I dropped off all the parts and they put it on for $40! Seeing as I don't have a spring compressor, that was a bargain!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Me too! I also would have done all this and control arms/mounts/brackets before THINKING about adding power. I caused myself a lot of headache and rework by piecing some of this stuff together.

When I installed my pro-kit springs, I reused the strut mounts and they only lasted for about three months. At that point I had to make a call between spending money I didn't really have on new struts, knowing I was going to replace them eventually, or "wasting" money on 11+ CC plates or Steeda mounts.

I strongly agree with your recommendation - do all that at once. You can also save some time/money/frustration if you get the struts/springs/mounts and have a local shop throw them together for you. I dropped off all the parts and they put it on for $40! Seeing as I don't have a spring compressor, that was a bargain!
"Wasting" $$ on CC plates?? That's the only thing I have to do as it get noisy up front sometimes... I have Eibach pro with struts/dampers... What would u suggest as far as strut mounts for 11+??
Old 05-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
"Wasting" $$ on CC plates?? That's the only thing I have to do as it get noisy up front sometimes... I have Eibach pro with struts/dampers... What would u suggest as far as strut mounts for 11+??
The reason it would have been "wasted" is because I wanted to go with the 05-10 spec Konis with the FRPP strut mount, since there wasn't an affordable strut mount for 11+ struts and I didn't need the camber adjustment.

Like I said, your choices are CC plates or the Steeda HD mounts, and it's going to run you $350+ either way. If you're spending that much $$$ I would look into the Vorshlag (best IMO) or Maximum Motorsports plates.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The reason it would have been "wasted" is because I wanted to go with the 05-10 spec Konis with the FRPP strut mount, since there wasn't an affordable strut mount for 11+ struts and I didn't need the camber adjustment.

Like I said, your choices are CC plates or the Steeda HD mounts, and it's going to run you $350+ either way. If you're spending that much $$$ I would look into the Vorshlag (best IMO) or Maximum Motorsports plates.
Understandable, for only an inch drop the FRPP would've been perfect... That's why I haven't dropped the $$ since its not extremely u unbearable yet... What if I were to just get the oem one from Ford? Think that's another fair solution??
Old 05-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Understandable, for only an inch drop the FRPP would've been perfect... That's why I haven't dropped the $$ since its not extremely u unbearable yet... What if I were to just get the oem one from Ford? Think that's another fair solution??
Sure - just keep in mind that even Ford classifies these as "one time use," so the next time you have them off they need replaced again. That's why I didn't get them, knowing I was going to replace the struts in the near future I would have needed at least two sets ... and they suck a big one anyways.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT