Vortech install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Vortech install

Well the kit should be here next week got pushed back . My only options are to take off work pay 550 to have shop install it or my day off my self put it on with mechanic friend . I'm terrified to cut into my cdc chin or anything . Most I've done is install my intake and chin spoiler . What would you do my skills are a 5 out of 10 lol I can follow directions just worried to mess something up
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Can you put together a entertainment center? Think of it as just a bunch of nuts and bolts. If you have a mechanic friend,even better. Just take you time and follow the directions. Another thing to do is check the forums for install threads.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Can you put together a entertainment center? Think of it as just a bunch of nuts and bolts. If you have a mechanic friend,even better. Just take you time and follow the directions. Another thing to do is check the forums for install threads.
+1. I say go for it. Especially if it isn't your daily driver. The best way to learn is to get hands on, and try it for yourself. It will also be a huge benefit to have a mechanic there with you incase you get stuck or can't figure something out. I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined, maybe a 7/10, but for any major job i always have my good buddy who is a certified mechanic there to help.... Also because i wanna use his air tools lol.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I installed my paxton over the weekend in a one car garage with jack and stands. I had a friend there if needed, but other than holding the bumper when I was cutting or helping me reinstall the bumper he really didn't do alot. it is a time consuming, but easy job. The pdf file can be downloaded from the paxton or vortec site. I say if you can take friday or monday off, do the install a few hours at a time. I worked on it for too long, and had stupid things happen, because I was getting tired. I had to go back and fix things that I wouldn't have done wrong if I wasn't trying to finish it quickly. I have had the kit on for over 4,500 miles now and its still perfect.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Just read through the instructions first if you have an O sheet moment reading then maybe its not for you.
Brandon280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam2012 View Post
I installed my paxton over the weekend in a one car garage with jack and stands. I had a friend there if needed, but other than holding the bumper when I was cutting or helping me reinstall the bumper he really didn't do alot. it is a time consuming, but easy job. The pdf file can be downloaded from the paxton or vortec site. I say if you can take friday or monday off, do the install a few hours at a time. I worked on it for too long, and had stupid things happen, because I was getting tired. I had to go back and fix things that I wouldn't have done wrong if I wasn't trying to finish it quickly. I have had the kit on for over 4,500 miles now and its still perfect.
Good advice. Take breaks to avoid getting tired..... And frustrated.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 05-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

It's also a good idea to label parts as well as nut and bolts you remove. You can snap some before photos to help when you reinstall.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ya I have off Sundays and Monday and it is my dd so I can't f it up lol il def look at the PDFs when I get off tonight . The cutting into bumper is biggest worry il take engine cover off and take it somewhere to be cut perfectly though so idk lol was only guna be charged 550 but simply to far away to drop car off and be ride less
Old 05-31-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Ya I have off Sundays and Monday and it is my dd so I can't f it up lol il def look at the PDFs when I get off tonight . The cutting into bumper is biggest worry il take engine cover off and take it somewhere to be cut perfectly though so idk lol was only guna be charged 550 but simply to far away to drop car off and be ride less
$550 is a lot dough the could be spent on something else!
Old 05-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Intake and bap and brenspeed tune 650 at wheels lmao
Old 05-31-2013, 03:29 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
That thing is going to take orbit! If it were me if pay people to do it... It would take me a week to do it right and I make a lot more than 550 a week lol
Old 05-31-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post

That thing is going to take orbit! If it were me if pay people to do it... It would take me a week to do it right and I make a lot more than 550 a week lol
And then when it breaks you don't remotelly have any idea what went wrong and if you need service asap, can limp home, what needs to be fixed. Your gonna have to take it too a shop again.

I've done all my own work minus gear install and had help with the UCA and bracket by grabberblue5.0 but I am proud that I have done all that. Makes fixing things easier.

Even then I know how to do a gear install I just didn't have the tools and didn't want the whine and paid very little after part costs to have a pro do it.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:02 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
And then when it breaks you don't remotelly have any idea what went wrong and if you need service asap, can limp home, what needs to be fixed. Your gonna have to take it too a shop again.

I've done all my own work minus gear install and had help with the UCA and bracket by grabberblue5.0 but I am proud that I have done all that. Makes fixing things easier.

Even then I know how to do a gear install I just didn't have the tools and didn't want the whine and paid very little after part costs to have a pro do it.
I agree, gear install and alignment are the only thing I haven't done myself.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I studied the instructions ahead of time before the roush charger did it all by myself very proud lol had my girl bring me food an drinks to keep me going til I finished worth all the effort it took for install
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:15 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Well the kit should be here next week got pushed back . My only options are to take off work pay 550 to have shop install it or my day off my self put it on with mechanic friend . I'm terrified to cut into my cdc chin or anything . Most I've done is install my intake and chin spoiler . What would you do my skills are a 5 out of 10 lol I can follow directions just worried to mess something up

Im jealous man. wish i could do the same. good luck on the install be sure to let us know how much you love it bro
Nickmarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:30 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

How would installing it yourself help identify what went wrong vs someone else installing it? Unless if you know you did it wrong lol

Many people can install this stuff no problem I'm sure it makes sense for you to do the stuff yourself but I know that I don't have the time or experience to do something like that so it's different for me. Not sure why you're arguing the point there.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:36 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

How would installing it yourself help identify what went wrong vs someone else installing it? Unless if you know you did it wrong lol

Many people can install this stuff no problem I'm sure it makes sense for you to do the stuff yourself but I know that I don't have the time or experience to do something like that so it's different for me. Not sure why you're arguing the point there.
Because when you hear that noise or whatever happens you have a higher chance of identifying what part is causing it. If you take someone who knows what the suspension parts are and paid a shop to install it vs a guy who installed it himself 10-1 the guy who did it himself would be able to pick out sounds of something wrong before the guy who had a shop do it. Your not going to know what to look for being out of place or not looking right. I don't care if you look the instructions over. There is no exchange for actually doing the actual work.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Do you still have stock tires?
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
If my skill level were 5 outta 10, I'd pay the $550, that's cheap.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

It definitely comes down to experience and matter of opinion. Having never installed a high end power component like a centrifugal blower, I'd probably lean towards having installed professionally. The only bad thing about that is I'd really like to learn everything about it by doing it myself. I'd like to think that I'd put a lot of love into it since I'm obsessed with my car haha. But I have no clue how simple or difficult these Vortechs are. In my future of blown engines, I'm stuck between a whipple or the Vortech. Pros and cons to both. I love the factory look of the Vortech. Black one, that is. But good ol twin screws are pretty nasty!
Please dear God, protect my sweet ride.

2013 California Specil GT "Tater"
jdemK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Do it yourself you can always call mecanics and they can help you along if you get stuck
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:

Agreed. I would love to do it myself, but am a little nervous having to call a mechanic in the middle of it. Don't have a personal friend that is handy. I am willing to pay the $550 close to home in Northern Jersey, or close to work near Bethpage Long Island, NY.
Alkhalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I bet the professionals are going to follow the same directions you will.
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

My paxton install was the most involved thing I have ever done. I have installed all susp, exhaust, intake pieces myself. I installed a set of long tube headers on an 04 gto which is only slightly easier than what our header install is. If you are an honest 5 out of 10, then pay to get it installed. If the shop is cool, and you have the time I would ask them to let you watch the install, or at least some of it, You really don't see half of the pieces of the kit when it is all installed and bumper is back on, Its crazy to see all the parts in the boxes and then have empty boxes when you are done.

I feel like after doing it myself that I could install or try to fix anything, if you were in the VA area I would gladly give you a hand with the install, and that goes for anyone that reads this post as well
Old 06-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U View Post
I bet the professionals are going to follow the same directions you will.
Lol, let's hope so.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I have pirellis 275 and ordering drag radials but I don't really race so not to worried yet. Also probably guna get brenspeed tune then after I'm ready drive there to Dyno tune it as well if I'm not happy . But many are happy with the brenspeed and Lund tunes
Old 06-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have pirellis 275 and ordering drag radials but I don't really race so not to worried yet. Also probably guna get brenspeed tune then after I'm ready drive there to Dyno tune it as well if I'm not happy . But many are happy with the brenspeed and Lund tunes
No issue with my lund tune, but one thing to remember is that you send your log to them then wait for the tune update. They are usually fast, just keep that in mind when doing remote tuning/ data logging.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT